Laugh and Shaft

So, our long awaited Spring Break cruise just go cancelled.  It was on the Radiance, 4-1-22 sailing.  Royal still will not say why it was cancelled.  We got an email Monday, Aug 2, at eight minutes after five pm.  Obviously, a real chicken crap way of informing us.  We understand they are starting cruising in a slow, gradual manner, that is why we waited until next year to start booking cruises.  To make matters worse, we got other relatives to book this cruise along with us.  Then I call Club Royale, after being on hold for over three hours on four calls, finally get to speak to a rep, and she has serious attitude, she asked me twice if I have read the email and understood my options.  We picked this particular cruise because my son was on spring break and had one week off, we are not able to change the dates.  Anywho, other Club Royale rep tried to help us but to no avail  Gee, now we are wondering about our other three cruises booked on Royal in 2022.  

• Like 1

Cruising is a gamble right now. Just like everything. Who knows. It might get cancelled next yr too. Some people here have had 15 cruises cancelled. Nobody knows whats around the corner. Our cruise got cancelled 12 days before leaving. Is what it is

• Like 14

59 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

How could it be any better? Some never get the cancellation notice.

I wondered that also.  What's the best way to inform hundreds, if not thousands that the cruise is cancelled?

I'm guessing this wasn't cancelled because of Covid.  Eight months out seems WAY too early to cancel because of that.  Either some kind of maintenance issue (again, eight months seems extreme, but maybe that's the only time they can get it in) or chartered? 

There is a 7 night sailing on Symphony leaving from Miami on April 2.  That's a Sat-Sat, so why wouldn't that one work?

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.
punctuation

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

I had a spring break cruise canceled, and got a new one rebooked a couple hours later for the same week.

Same here, jumped on it with B3B all in same Good Cabin at slightly better price then original Cruises. Yes hate these continuing changes but Covid this yr is changing where Ships will be into 2022

Edited by ONECRUISER

33 minutes ago, jakeil7 said:

Question which I do not mean to seem argumentative with the OP:

In normal times, how late would RCI cancel a cruise for a non-weather reason?

Oasis was canceled spring of 2019 less that a week before their next cruise,  they canceled something like 4 to 6 weeks of cruise without any notice all though most on here knew what happened before the cancelation went out.

When you finally did get ahold of a representative, did they help to get you on another cruise during the same time frame? What did they offer, exactly? We enjoy cruising during our son’s spring break as well, and have one booked on Odyssey for next year. Alternative plan for us is Moon Palace in Cancun...great place!

Edited by zanydoc

1 hour ago, Blizzard54 said:

The reason it was cancelled is that the Radiance will not be operating yet.

It is not scheduled to resume service until  4/23/2021 sailing from San Pedro to Vancouver.  

4/23/21?

10 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I wondered that also.  What's the best way to inform hundreds, if not thousands that the cruise is cancelled?

I'm guessing this wasn't cancelled because of Covid.  Eight months out seems WAY too early to cancel because of that.  Either some kind of maintenance issue (again, eight months seems extreme, but maybe that's the only time they can get it in) or chartered? 

There is a 7 night sailing on Symphony leaving from Miami on April 2.  That's a Sat-Sat, so why wouldn't that one work?

We were emailed last week that our 4/26/22 Quantum Honolulu to Vancouver was cancelled. Took the 125% and moved to Ovation 4/25/22  Honolulu to Vancouver. 

Everybody, thanks for the responses, and for letting me vent.   We are extremely fortunate enough to have four cruises planned for next year.  It could always be worse.

All of Royal's alternatives would not work for us, so we will try something else.

23 hours ago, woneill63 said:

So, our long awaited Spring Break cruise just go cancelled.  It was on the Radiance, 4-1-22 sailing.  Royal still will not say why it was cancelled.  We got an email Monday, Aug 2, at eight minutes after five pm.  Obviously, a real chicken crap way of informing us.  We understand they are starting cruising in a slow, gradual manner, that is why we waited until next year to start booking cruises.  To make matters worse, we got other relatives to book this cruise along with us.  Then I call Club Royale, after being on hold for over three hours on four calls, finally get to speak to a rep, and she has serious attitude, she asked me twice if I have read the email and understood my options.  We picked this particular cruise because my son was on spring break and had one week off, we are not able to change the dates.  Anywho, other Club Royale rep tried to help us but to no avail  Gee, now we are wondering about our other three cruises booked on Royal in 2022.  

You should be happy to have this much notice.  Most of us for the last 17 months find out 30 to 90 days before sail date.

• Like 2

both our jan 2022 cruises were cancelled- vision 1/3 and radience-1/21 all in an email a few days ago.

now have to cancel air/parking/hotel to see if a credit or refund can be had. 

fcc is useless with the short window to rebook

going to take a break from cruising now and hopefully things get better.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bestestboss said:

both our jan 2022 cruises were cancelled- vision 1/3 and radience-1/21 all in an email a few days ago.

now have to cancel air/parking/hotel to see if a credit or refund can be had. 

fcc is useless with the short window to rebook

going to take a break from cruising now and hopefully things get better.

We were on Radiance Jan 21st also.  Fortunately we're driving to Florida for 3 months so no issues with air tickets.  Since they cancelled, we'll get our non-refundable deposit back 🙂  

We're taking a break too, next cruises are scheduled for January 2023.

23 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I'm guessing this wasn't cancelled because of Covid.  Eight months out seems WAY too early to cancel because of that. 

You are right, if it was because of Covid they would wait until after final payment before they canceled.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Our Enchantment NE/Canada cruise for September was definitely cancelled but so far neither me or my roommate have received a cancellation email from Royal. I found out from cc. When do they let us know what our options are? This was twice rescheduled and originally booked with vouchers. There are limited NE/Canada cruises each year and we have another cruise booked for September 2022. I’ve never had to deal with repeated rebooking, and sometimes my options have been restricted so I’ve tried to get info on what happens next but haven’t had any luck on repeated attempts to call Royal,  on hold for 1-3 hours before calls dropped.

As someone who also had their 4-2-22 cruise on Brilliance canceled in this latest batch. There are options for different ships leaving a day or two later/before from different ports. I rebooked on a 7 night with Harmony leaving a day later. 

14 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I don’t think they were expecting to have a crane fall on her.

Your correct but that was the question asked how late did a cruise get canceled that wasn't weather related.