Does anyone have an idea when summer '23 cruises (to the Fjords) might be released?

bee-ess

We went for a short cruise 3 night cruise on Queen Elizabeth in 2018 and did not feel that the MDR meals were any better quality or service than on P&O (although obviously are in the higher class restaurants). The drinks prices were ridiculous IMO, found it better value to drink doubles rather then 2 singles but still very expensive with another 15% on top. We saw a wine that we used to drink on P&O for about £20 a bottle selling at $60 in the MDR.

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

What I’m keen to understand is what the grand total expenditure of a Cunard (or Saga for that matter) cruise is versus the equivalent P&O one and if, say, it’s 50% more is it 50% better? We’d rather have 3 great cruises than 4 mediocre ones!

OK, so it's a wet afternoon, so time for some fag packet calculations !

We book larger balcony cabins (ie sofa as well as a desk) but are not too worried about being forward or aft. By booking early with Princess and P&O we would not expect to pay more than £125 pppd, and normally we pay less than this. Allowing for drinks at about £20 pppd, that bumps our total per diem to just under £150.

Our Saga cruise next year is coming in at £200 pppd, and whilst there are cost savings associated with Saga (transport to port etc) to all intents and purposes the Saga "premium" for us  is therefore around £50 pppd, or £1400 in total over a 14 day cruise. (I did the maths for Zap!)

Looking at Cunard, just a snapshot,  I reckon we would be paying around £185 pppd for our sort of cabin. Factor in drinks at a modest £25 pppd, and the per diem comes to £210, or a £60  Cunard premium.

Personally we will pay the Saga premium for the occasional cruise, given the advantages of small ship cruising,  but remain to be convinced that the Cunard premium is worth it.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Do you know for certain that there is no choir - one of our main enjoyments, along with going ashore on our own?  

Back when cruises were restarting, it was announced that choirs would not be allowed.  Given that you have to wear masks unless eating or drinking,  you can hardly expect the cruise lines to allow people to stand close to each other, unmasked,  exhaling vast quantities of breath for a lengthy period of time!

In due course one would assume that the policy will change, but as long as mask wearing is compulsory,  I can't see it happening. 

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

OK, so it's a wet afternoon, so time for some fag packet calculations !

We book larger balcony cabins (ie sofa as well as a desk) but are not too worried about being forward or aft. By booking early with Princess and P&O we would not expect to pay more than £125 pppd, and normally we pay less than this. Allowing for drinks at about £20 pppd, that bumps our total per diem to just under £150.

Our Saga cruise next year is coming in at £200 pppd, and whilst there are cost savings associated with Saga (transport to port etc) to all intents and purposes the Saga "premium" for us  is therefore around £50 pppd, or £1400 in total over a 14 day cruise. (I did the maths for Zap!)

Looking at Cunard, just a snapshot,  I reckon we would be paying around £185 pppd for our sort of cabin. Factor in drinks at a modest £25 pppd, and the per diem comes to £210, or a £60  Cunard premium.

Personally we will pay the Saga premium for the occasional cruise, given the advantages of small ship cruising,  but remain to be convinced that the Cunard premium is worth it.  

Many thanks Wowzz. That’s very useful. The dilemma that we will have is that my wife and I would probably prefer the Cunard / Saga experience over the current P&O one, but our adult daughters (who want to come with us next time) would almost certainly prefer P&O over Cunard (Saga not being an option for them)!

50 minutes ago, BestGuessed said:

Following on to Jean’s question about the choir, does anyone know whether dancing is or isn’t presently allowed please? 

We got back from our second Britannia staycation last week. No dancing on the dance floor, but you can dance at your table in the live lounge, but no dancing ON the tables permitted. They were doing line dancing classes. We didn't partake, but I assume the dancers were in a .......line.🤣

I think prices vary for Cunard cruises according to Itinerary for instance the Translantic crossings seem to be more reasonably priced because there are more of them.We went on a 26 night Translantic and Caribbean cruise in November 2019 and paid £3500 for a balcony cabin which I think is a reasonable price.I think the food is slightly better than P and O and there are more speakers.There was a Book Club that we liked and we enjoyed the theme nights.We don't drink much and I liked the fact that Cunard have fruit juice in the Buffet throughout the day rather than just at breakfast.They also have free ice cream!!The only thing we weren't keen on is there is only fixed dining.We still like P and O but have future cruises with Princess and Saga.We may book one of the P and O Caribbean cruises nearer the time though Cunard have a couple of interesting Caribbean cruises too in early 2022

37 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We got back from our second Britannia staycation last week. No dancing on the dance floor, but you can dance at your table in the live lounge, but no dancing ON the tables permitted. They were doing line dancing classes. We didn't partake, but I assume the dancers were in a .......line.🤣

That is disappointing to hear as the live music and dancing in the evenings is a big part of our enjoyment on a cruise.  When we were onboard Celebrity Silhouette  in early July, dancing was allowed and I have heard that Saga also allow dancing with your own partner although (understandably) there are currently no dance hosts.

I would hope that taking into account everyone’s vaccination status P&O will follow suit in allowing us to dance with our own partner very soon.

Our next cruise will be Britannia on the 25th September sailing.

39 minutes ago, BestGuessed said:

That is disappointing to hear as the live music and dancing in the evenings is a big part of our enjoyment on a cruise.  When we were onboard Celebrity Silhouette  in early July, dancing was allowed and I have heard that Saga also allow dancing with your own partner although (understandably) there are currently no dance hosts.

I would hope that taking into account everyone’s vaccination status P&O will follow suit in allowing us to dance with our own partner very soon.

No swinging then? 😲

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BestGuessed said:

You will be able to dance on deck at the late night silent disco. We went on deck and saw all these folk hopping around. We didn't hear any music and hadn't read horizon, so wondered what the heck was going on. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Funny how different cruise lines within the same company i.e. P&O/Cunard are varying in covid regulations. Every morning there was dance lessons in the Queens Room and dancing also in the Queens Room every night all without masks.

4 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Funny how different cruise lines within the same company i.e. P&O/Cunard are varying in covid regulations. Every morning there was dance lessons in the Queens Room and dancing also in the Queens Room every night all without masks.

No one was wearing a mask when dancing on Celebrity either.  
I hope P&O will relax their stance on the dancing and at least allow people to use the dance floor even if numbers are limited.  It will seriously affect the enjoyment of our cruise if P&O continue to insist on maintaining their “No Dancing” stipulation. 😩

7 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Understood, but my point being that if that’s, say, £50 a day more than P&O and the overall cruise experience is better, then that £50 is a bargain! Obviously that’s not the only additional cost (assuming that cruises are more expensive to start with) but if, for example, the MDR food is better we would pay extra for that. You pays your money and takes your choice I guess.

What I’m keen to understand is what the grand total expenditure of a Cunard (or Saga for that matter) cruise is versus the equivalent P&O one and if, say, it’s 50% more is it 50% better? We’d rather have 3 great cruises than 4 mediocre ones!

We've been on P&O and Cunard and are awaiting  Saga. All in (or will be) similiar sized midship suites .

Cost wise

P&O             circa        £315 pppn

Cunard        circa        £385 pppn 

Saga             circa       £450  pppn

Even when you take account of the extras with Saga price  they're still a bit above Cunard.

If you look at rooms very simiar

Saga looks the best ,  slightly  bigger separate living area brand new.

P&O better designed than Cunard same size but uses space better.

Saga standard rooms are 20% bigger than P&O deluxe balcony , and Cunard balcony, so this must be taken into account in any comparison.

Clearly  QG food better than P&O MDR , but not better than P&O speciality restaurants which theoretically  you could eat in speciality  restaurants  every night and still save money, but on smaller  P&O ships speciality restaurant choice limited. We await Saga , but first class reviews of food on new ships, and more variety of inclusive speciality restaurants 

P&O have better entertainment,  more varied. People say Cunard have better guest speakers, don't know,  didn't go , prefer to read a book. 

Atmosphere on P&O smaller ships in day very similiar to Cunard

Saga has much more space per person than P&O and Cunard , Passenger space ration 58  compared to 43 (for Vista ships P&O and Cunard )

P&O wine cheaper than Cunard by a long way. Saga is included. Just got a price list for the more expensive wines on Saga ,very reasonable  no mark up on UK retail .

Which would I  choose,  for us intinerary and timing are most important so we'd  be happy on any of the three. I certainly wouldn't compromise intinerary to go on one line specifically. 

Edited by Windsurfboy

Sorry to be a cheer leader for Celebrity and you know that I am a long serving member of the P&O thread, but this is the latest video of the new ship of the EDGE class BEYOND and former one from EDGE. Edge was awesome and you could be as traditional or modern as you wanted to and quite formal, but it was just perfect for a cruise and not too noisy. Have to say, just looking at this has made me really excited and I think it is safe to say that the EDGE class beckons us and for us knocks spots off what P&O are currently offering on IONA. It is probably where we will head if P&O becomes more and more like a RCI family type ship.

For those of you thinking the prices will be silly prices - they aren't

Edited by Presto2

Forgot to mention staff to passenger ratio. As this will effect service

Saga has the best at 1 member of staff to 1.85 passengers

P&O and Cunard both have 1 member of staff to 2.3 passengers 20% less than Saga.  However must also remember that Cunard has grills which is very well staffed per passenger.  This means outside the grills Cunard will have less staff per passenger than P&O

5 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Forgot to mention staff to passenger ratio. As this will effect service

Saga has the best at 1 member of staff to 1.85 passengers

P&O and Cunard both have 1 member of staff to 2.3 passengers 20% less than Saga.  However must also remember that Cunard has grills which is very well staffed per passenger.  This means outside the grills Cunard will have less staff per passenger than P&O

IMO Saga is equal  with Oceania. SImilar amenities, activities and food.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

IMO Saga is equal  with Oceania. SImilar amenities, activities and food.

Sorry to keep saying the 'C' word but how does it compare to Celebrity? Really are interested in SAGA having read recent posts and have been having a good look,

Some really excellent posts and very interesting comparisons between the different cruise lines. Many thanks for all the info which is definite food for thought. Talking of food, that’s a major deciding factor for us and a highlight of any cruise, probably coming second after itinerary. Most of the ‘entertainment’ on P&O isn’t for us. We will go and see the odd show but find many of them a bit ‘holiday camp’ for our liking. Aside from a few good guest lecturers, we find that the daytime entertainment on P&O is a bit ‘old people’s home’. We can only do round trips from the U.K., which prevents us from trying the luxury cruise lines, so all info is gratefully received. 

4 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Cost wise

P&O             circa        £315 pppn

Cunard        circa        £385 pppn 

Saga             circa       £450  pppn

I'm assuming that given the size of the ships, Saga have far fewer suites, hence the price discrepancy. 

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

I'm assuming that given the size of the ships, Saga have far fewer suites, hence the price discrepancy. 

I know suites are more expensive but that P&O price is nearly £9000 for a couple for a 2 week cruise, our Balcony cruises are normally between £3000-£3500 for a couple.

Do you really get so much extra value in a suite?

47 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I know suites are more expensive but that P&O price is nearly £9000 for a couple for a 2 week cruise, our Balcony cruises are normally between £3000-£3500 for a couple.

We have taken, or have booked, a dozen or so cruises in a suite.  The most we have paid is circa £200 ppn, the least £105 ppn.  Most of the ships, varying length and time of year booked at various times from launch day to a week before departure.

Added for balance.

45 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

John - On the last two occasions that we used a Suite (Britannia and Arcadia) we also booked an adjacent balcony cabin for our daughters at the same time and I’ve just looked back at what we paid for both. After allowing for the extra OBC that you get with a suite, the net premium for a suite was around 50% on both cruises. For us, the premium was worth it as we particularly value the ability to have breakfast in a Select Dining restaurant and we spend more time than most in the cabin, so the extra space is much appreciated. Also, both suites were aft corner wrap balconies and the views and ability to dine on the balcony whilst transiting the fjords or scenic locations in the Med were priceless.

We are now more restricted with choice of suites as we would have to have a fully adapted one. There’s only one on Iona / Our Vera and we were considering booking it as we have some reservations about the ship(s) so thought that we could at least retreat to our suite at times when the ship was particularly busy, but the poor design of the aft (with Sunset bar and whirlpools underneath the aft cabins) has knocked that idea on the head.