Does anyone have an idea when summer '23 cruises (to the Fjords) might be released?

bee-ess

13 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Sorry to keep saying the 'C' word but how does it compare to Celebrity? Really are interested in SAGA having read recent posts and have been having a good look,

Sorry - never sailed with Celebrity so cannot comment. Anyone can dine in their cabin and choose from the main dinner menu for free on Saga.

14 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Forgot to mention staff to passenger ratio. As this will effect service

Saga has the best at 1 member of staff to 1.85 passengers

P&O and Cunard both have 1 member of staff to 2.3 passengers 20% less than Saga.  However must also remember that Cunard has grills which is very well staffed per passenger.  This means outside the grills Cunard will have less staff per passenger than P&O

Not always an indication of the service level. If lots of the staff are painting and fixing leaks in the plumbing and keeping the old tubs engines working, that don't help fawning over the passengers.

15 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Most of the ‘entertainment’ on P&O isn’t for us

Out of interest, what sort of entertainment woukd you prefer ?

It can't be easy for any cruise line to please 3000 guests.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Out of interest, what sort of entertainment woukd you prefer ?

It can't be easy for any cruise line to please 3000 guests.

In all honesty Wowzz, we don’t go on a cruise for the entertainment. I accept that it works for most people but it’s generally not for us. The itinerary is our first consideration, closely followed by the ship (we prefer some to others). Next comes the experience of the cruise itself (being at sea, approaching and departing ports) and exploring ashore. Food is an important consideration for us. We have always found the MDR to be fine (a bit less so in recent years maybe) but we really enjoy the Select Dining restaurants. We have enjoyed some excellent guest lecturers but the other daytime activities never remotely appeal to us (other than the odd music recital on Aurora). We often don’t bother with the evening shows as we have seen them all multiple times. Some have been pretty good, others less so. Very much depends on the Headliners troupe on board as some are better than others! The tribute acts we find to be, in the main, poor.

My sister goes to Butlins now and again, which most people will agree is a holiday camp. My idea of hell (although I loved it as a kid) and I have been staggered at the acts that they have there, particularly at their theme weekends. Multiple known acts over the weekend, the likes of which you might get just one of on a P&O maiden cruise but not normally. On one of our last cruises on Aurora there was an actor on board who performed a monologue about Laurel and Hardy. It was absolutely brilliant and a very welcome addition, but seems to have been a one off. In the feedback questionnaire I commented how good it was and how the addition of more things like that would be appreciated. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 1

I would agree about a lot of the entertainment.  We enjoy the Headliners productions mostly, apart from when it's deafening.  We go to the odd lecture if it's a subject we like.  There is not much in the daytime that appeals, apart from the odd game.  But then, I am happy sitting in the sun reading, so not much of a problem.  I'm only stuck if it's bad weather and I need to be inside the ship.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

In all honesty Wowzz, we don’t go on a cruise for the entertainment. I accept that it works for most people but it’s generally not for us. The itinerary is our first consideration, closely followed by the ship (we prefer some to others). Next comes the experience of the cruise itself (being at sea, approaching and departing ports) and exploring ashore. Food is an important consideration for us. We have always found the MDR to be fine (a bit less so in recent years maybe) but we really enjoy the Select Dining restaurants. We have enjoyed some excellent guest lecturers but the other daytime activities never remotely appeal to us (other than the odd music recital on Aurora). We often don’t bother with the evening shows as we have seen them all multiple times. Some have been pretty good, others less so. Very much depends on the Headliners troupe on board as some are better than others! The tribute acts we find to be, in the main, poor.

My sister goes to Butlins now and again, which most people will agree is a holiday camp. My idea of hell (although I loved it as a kid) and I have been staggered at the acts that they have there, particularly at their theme weekends. Multiple known acts over the weekend, the likes of which you might get just one of on a P&O maiden cruise but not normally. On one of our last cruises on Aurora there was an actor on board who performed a monologue about Laurel and Hardy. It was absolutely brilliant and a very welcome addition, but seems to have been a one off. In the feedback questionnaire I commented how good it was and how the addition of more things like that would be appreciated. 

I think we are on the same page regarding entertainment.  If there is something on that we like the sound of, we'll go, but entertainment per se is not of that much importance to us. 

We prefer a leisurely dinner, hopefully with interesting dining companions,  followed by "people watching" accompanied by a nightcap or two! 

• Like 2

Selbourne, your first paragraph has described my perfect cruise. I could have written it myself with me in mind.

Over the years I've been to enough shows on cruises to know they're not for me so I don't bother going now if I can help it. Because my recent cruise with MSC was with two youngsters who were keen to experience them, I went to three. Each lasted 35 minutes and were based around three guys who were trying to emulate the Three Tenors. Unfortunately they were more like Two Fivers and a Pound Coin. 

Jane.x 

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

11 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Selbourne, your first paragraph has described my perfect cruise. I could have written it myself with me in mind.

Over the years I've been to enough shows on cruises to know they're not for me so I don't bother going now if I can help it. Because my recent cruise with MSC was with two youngsters who were keen to experience them, I went to three. Each lasted 35 minutes and were based around three guys who were trying to emulate the Three Tenors. Unfortunately they were more like Two Fivers and a Pound Coin. 

Jane.x 

Those I definitely don't go to.  Tribute acts don't do it for me at all.  As I said, we enjoy the Headliners - mostly, but that's about it.  Prefer to sit in the piano bar and have a nightcap.  We eat around 8 so it's a perfect time.  I don't cruise for the entertainment, just like being taken from place to place, do some exploring, drinks in the bar and dinner.  They can keep the rest.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Forgot to mention staff to passenger ratio. As this will effect service

Saga has the best at 1 member of staff to 1.85 passengers

P&O and Cunard both have 1 member of staff to 2.3 passengers 20% less than Saga.  However must also remember that Cunard has grills which is very well staffed per passenger.  This means outside the grills Cunard will have less staff per passenger than P&O

With the now huge variation in P&O ships, the ratio varies enormously. On the two new ships you are looking at 1 staff member to 2.9 passengers (if my dreadful maths is correct). I do however take the point that it depends what type of staff are needed in terms of engineering & maintenance etc.

44 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Those I definitely don't go to.  Tribute acts don't do it for me at all.  As I said, we enjoy the Headliners - mostly, but that's about it.  Prefer to sit in the piano bar and have a nightcap.  We eat around 8 so it's a perfect time.  I don't cruise for the entertainment, just like being taken from place to place, do some exploring, drinks in the bar and dinner.  They can keep the rest.

What always used to irritate me on cruises are the people who rushed to the theatre every night after dinner regardless of what was on, just because they can. I am more selective, only going to the theatre if there is something or somebody I really want to see (a fairly rare occurrence) and usually having to sit or stand right at the back because I take my time getting there. At least standing at the back means you can slip out easily without disturbing others, if it isn’t good.

• Like 4

The entertainment I have experienced on Aurora and Oriana has been generally very much to my taste. I enjoy the theatre productions (usually 😀), like a piano bar, afternoon classical recitals and many of the in-house bands that play in the likes of the Crows Nest - especially when they do an impromptu Jazz set.

Don't mind the occasional quiz but prefer general knowledge as opposed to themes. Seen some very interesting guest speakers over the years but just hope Diane Simpson is not on my next cruise because I will think she is stalking me if she is...😂

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

The entertainment I have experienced on Aurora and Oriana has been generally very much to my taste. I enjoy the theatre productions (usually 😀), like a piano bar, afternoon classical recitals and many of the in-house bands that play in the likes of the Crows Nest - especially when they do an impromptu Jazz set.

Don't mind the occasional quiz but prefer general knowledge as opposed to themes. Seen some very interesting guest speakers over the years but just hope Diane Simpson is not on my next cruise because I will think she is stalking me if she is...😂

Andrew I had forgotten the classical concerts - yes and also the jazz.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I know suites are more expensive but that P&O price is nearly £9000 for a couple for a 2 week cruise, our Balcony cruises are normally between £3000-£3500 for a couple.

Do you really get so much extra value in a suite?

18 hours ago, wowzz said:

I'm assuming that given the size of the ships, Saga have far fewer suites, hence the price discrepancy. 

My costs for P&O based on Arcadia,  I  know suites (and all cabins) are cheaper on the bigger ships , but Arcadia is more comparable to Cunard  and Saga . I have also based them on 2 week cruises or longer.  Our Saga cruise is  black sea from Southampton.  I have used current prices not historic. 

Saga has 46 Suites per ship  , which is more than P&O smaller ships and a relatively big percentages 

50 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Andrew I had forgotten the classical concerts - yes and also the jazz.

We've seen a mixed bag of entertainment over the years on P&O. The best were earlier on , but I have to say the quality is  now in decline. Some of the best were The Bachelors, (not a tribute band) Jimmy James, (without his vagabonds) and one or two magicians whose names escape me and maybe a comedian or two. We enjoy most of the recitals, especially jazz or solo guitar and one female saxophonist that we saw on Aurora 2019 was outstanding. We rarely go to the shows now, mainly because of the volume and the strobe lighting which has sometimes bought on Frank's migraine. One thing we do miss though is the interview with the captain. 

Avril

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pete14 said:

What always used to irritate me on cruises are the people who rushed to the theatre every night after dinner regardless of what was on, just because they can. I am more selective, only going to the theatre if there is something or somebody I really want to see (a fairly rare occurrence) and usually having to sit or stand right at the back because I take my time getting there. At least standing at the back means you can slip out easily without disturbing others, if it isn’t good.

Would you not be even more irritated if they all avoided the theatre and took up seats in your favourite bar though? Seems a little unfair to criticise people for wanting to see shows on board. And often it's impossible to gauge whether you'll like it or how good it is, without actually seeing it. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

We've seen a mixed bag of entertainment over the years on P&O. The best were earlier on , but I have to say the quality is  now in decline. Some of the best were The Bachelors, (not a tribute band) Jimmy James, (without his vagabonds) and one or two magicians whose names escape me and maybe a comedian or two. We enjoy most of the recitals, especially jazz or solo guitar and one female saxophonist that we saw on Aurora 2019 was outstanding. We rarely go to the shows now, mainly because of the volume and the strobe lighting which has sometimes bought on Frank's migraine. One thing we do miss though is the interview with the captain. 

Avril

I agree that Jimmy James was always very good.
I also enjoyed Clem Curtis and saw him quite a few times. He would often perform a few impromptu numbers at the deck parties too.
We also enjoyed Jonathan Wilkes and he was very friendly with all the passengers.

One tribute band we did enjoy was the Bootleg Beatles.

Gill x

44 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Would you not be even more irritated if they all avoided the theatre and took up seats in your favourite bar though? Seems a little unfair to criticise people for wanting to see shows on board. And often it's impossible to gauge whether you'll like it or how good it is, without actually seeing it. 

We enjoy the shows, the tribute acts, musicians, quizzes etc but don't relish going to see Eric and Ern . If a show doesn't appeal, we don't go, but appreciate the variety. The thing I don't get is why some folk pinch the first two seats in the row and then ' tut, tut' for the next 15 minutes when asked ' Excuse me '.

• Like 10

our approach cruising is different from the long term cruisers who are obviously jaded from the countless cruises they have been on, we look at the itinerary what’s the entertainment like on the ship and the standard of food on board, we are not the food/wine connoisseurs but we know what we like and P&O match our expectations. The general talk of saga cruises really is not for us not interested in paying the prices they charge when we could have 2 marella cruises instead ( ok nearly two).

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

our approach cruising is different from the long term cruisers who are obviously jaded from the countless cruises they have been on, we look at the itinerary what’s the entertainment like on the ship and the standard of food on board, we are not the food/wine connoisseurs but we know what we like and P&O match our expectations. The general talk of saga cruises really is not for us not interested in paying the prices they charge when we could have 2 marella cruises instead ( ok nearly two).

We mix P&O cruises with Celebrity, NCL, Royal Caribbean. To us Itinerary, type of entertainment, price, food in no particular order. Fly cruises are moving up our wish list. 2 mainstream cruises for the price of 1 ' premium !! ' Cruise sounds good to us. We are trying Iona in a couple of weeks. If it doesn't suit up we probably won't repeat. SAGA or ' Fred ' aren't on our list. That after looking at their CC boards and reviews. I'm sure they have their fans and good luck to them.

13 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We mix P&O cruises with Celebrity, NCL, Royal Caribbean. To us Itinerary, type of entertainment, price, food in no particular order. Fly cruises are moving up our wish list. 2 mainstream cruises for the price of 1 ' premium !! ' Cruise sounds good to us. We are trying Iona in a couple of weeks. If it doesn't suit up we probably won't repeat. SAGA or ' Fred ' aren't on our list. That after looking at their CC boards and reviews. I'm sure they have their fans and good luck to them.

We have come late to cruising after thirty odd years of mixing Florida Spain and places in between, P&O marella which we enjoyed and next year princess with a sneaky little marella cruise in, that’s assuming i survive the TA this year beloved threatens to feed me to the sharks repeatedly and often 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

We enjoy the shows, the tribute acts, musicians, quizzes etc but don't relish going to see Eric and Ern . If a show doesn't appeal, we don't go, but appreciate the variety. The thing I don't get is why some folk pinch the first two seats in the row and then ' tut, tut' for the next 15 minutes when asked ' Excuse me '.

That's because they want to be first out, and first into the next show lounge or bar.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pete14 said:

Really? Why would those people irritate you? They’re free to do what they want, ‘selective’ or not. 

• Like 1

I choose on size of ship (smaller), itinerary and then food/entertainment. Likely to continue cruising with P&O whilst Aurora is still in the fleet, then probably the new Ambassador Cruises, Fred Olsen and maybe Cunard.

• Like 1