Power strips....no go...solutions?

It has been a while, and last time I cruised I was able to use a power strip or surge protector, and I see they are no longer allowed.  We have two tablets, two cell phones, a chromebook to download pics and camera batteries, shaver that we typically charge.  What are some solutions that you've come up with to charge your many electronics in this age of "charge-ables".  Typically there are two outlets, yes?  one in the bedroom area and one in the bathroom, am I correct? Thanks in advance.

Edited by WindinmySails

• WindinmySails changed the title to Power strips....no go...solutions?
14 minutes ago, WindinmySails said:

It has been a while, and last time I cruised I was able to use a power strip or surge protector, and I see they are no longer allowed.  We have two tablets, two cell phones, a chromebook to download pics and camera batteries, shaver that we typically charge.  What are some solutions that you've come up with to charge your many electronics in this age of "charge-ables".  Typically there are two outlets, yes?  one in the bedroom area and one in the bathroom, am I correct? Thanks in advance.

use a portable charger for phones during day if walking around with them.  Charge these at night.  Charge whatever you aren't using during day.  Shutdown all devices when not using especially at night.  We have done this with same equipment plus our Garmin watches.  

Screenshot_20210923-085917_Amazon Shopping.jpg

• Like 2

This is what I use to charge electronics. It’s more compact than a tower and fits easily in my back pack. It has a long cord so I can charge devices while in the airport. My electric razor lasts almost a week on a full charge and if it needs to be charged I charge it during the day when we aren’t in the room. I use my phone for pictures and we bring a tablet. To tell you the truth on the Anthem they had 2 USB ports built into the desk along with the regular outlets and I never even used the USB charger. Also we never used the tablet so that will stay home next time. 

48AA7E29-093D-491B-9CD9-89218BEE383A.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WindinmySails said:

While you may have "been allowed" to use a surge protector in the past, they were a danger then and are a danger now.

For things that can charge from USB, use a multi-USB hub (one without power outlets, as these tend to be surge protected) for 3-8 devices.  Make sure it only has a two prong plug, as this ensures it is not surge protected.  USB external chargers are another option, as noted in #5 above.

• Like 3

I have a cube that has 2 USB's so it doubles what I can charge.  It's plenty to charge as we only plugs our phones in at night and Kindles when they need it and don't need anything else plugged in most of the time.  Plus, my camera batteries last several days without a charge and most everything can be charged using a USB.  Depending on the ship, there will either be USB outlets (newer larger ships) or not (smaller older ships).  I just unplug something if I need to plug in my hair dryer.  I did buy an extension cord that I take everywhere except cruises like the train (Amtrak) because there's only one outlet in the sleeping rooms we always go in.  These are what I have:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JLSY7W6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0734SN6VR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Obviously the extension cord/power strip does NOT go on cruises.

I also have a portable battery that I carry for my phone during the day as needed and can be charged through my laptop usb hub.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CU1EC6Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-4-Port-Individual-Switches-HB-UM43/dp/B00JX1ZS5O/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=usb+hub&qid=1632408712&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A29Y8OP2GPR7PE&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFRRVJJTFJDSFpHVFImZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA1NTc2MDIyWlVNWEY5VzYzN1VSJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA5MzY2NTkzRFBYQTI1RFYyWFhRJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Yes, I buy a lot from Amazon lol.  But these, other than the power strip give lots of options.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

This is what I use to charge electronics. It’s more compact than a tower and fits easily in my back pack. It has a long cord so I can charge devices while in the airport. My electric razor lasts almost a week on a full charge and if it needs to be charged I charge it during the day when we aren’t in the room. I use my phone for pictures and we bring a tablet. To tell you the truth on the Anthem they had 2 USB ports built into the desk along with the regular outlets and I never even used the USB charger. Also we never used the tablet so that will stay home next time. 

This.

We've got one of these and never had an issue. These typically don't care about voltage, either, so plugging one into a 220 outlet will be fine too

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

That one looks good.  I bought this before my Serenade cruise and it was great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093GBM9KF?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

That one looks good to.

To the OP...  

You've got good options 🙂 

We use this thing. It has a 2- prong plug and suits our needs well. It's more than enough if we have additional plugs already in the room (like there are in any stateroom).

20210923_123348.thumb.jpg.82651046740ffebc53f382e13d6f608b.jpg

It came from somewhere in the Amazon. Anything similar should do what you need done. 

44 minutes ago, alexgtp said:

Never had an issue using these on board any ship.

image.thumb.png.84e7a3f66b74e445e2a3f11113c7db55.png 

Only issue I have ever had is ppl on this board yelling at me about using one😁

40 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Using this one for years.  Works great! 

And, as I've said before, many times, even a brand new surge protector, straight out of the package, and working perfectly, when plugged into the ship's power, could, due to a ground fault anywhere else on the ship than your cabin (so completely out of control of either you or your surge protector) could fail in thermal runaway, and catch fire.

Here is a thread started by a surge protector skeptic, who went to "the horse's mouth", professors of marine electrical engineering, and came away understanding the dangers of shipboard use of consumer surge protectors:

And, not only are surge protectors not safe onboard ships, they are totally unnecessary, as absolutely none, as in 0% of the ship's electronics (which are far more expensive than anything you've brought onboard) are protected with surge protection.  The kinds of power surges that you experience on land are not there at sea.

I can't stress enough how a surge protector is a "silent killer" aboard ship, capable of failing catastrophically at any moment, regardless of previous usage.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

And, as I've said before, many times, even a brand new surge protector, straight out of the package, and working perfectly, when plugged into the ship's power, could, due to a ground fault anywhere else on the ship than your cabin (so completely out of control of either you or your surge protector) could fail in thermal runaway, and catch fire.

Here is a thread started by a surge protector skeptic, who went to "the horse's mouth", professors of marine electrical engineering, and came away understanding the dangers of shipboard use of consumer surge protectors:

And, not only are surge protectors not safe onboard ships, they are totally unnecessary, as absolutely none, as in 0% of the ship's electronics (which are far more expensive than anything you've brought onboard) are protected with surge protection.  The kinds of power surges that you experience on land are not there at sea.

I can't stress enough how a surge protector is a "silent killer" aboard ship, capable of failing catastrophically at any moment, regardless of previous usage.

Thanks for your opinion and info! 

People should NOT smoke on a ship. 

People should not get drunk on a ship. 

Just providing additional 

NOT TO DO.

STAY SAFE! 

Just got off of the Edge. They had a power box (wooden) that enclosed 2 USB ports, a Universal Outlet and one other plug. 

Isn't the 3 prong European outlet that I attached to illustrate the one in the box, Use Ground?

Please help me to understand these type plus better. 

Thanks.

SS_20210923_165757.jpg

4 hours ago, alexgtp said:

Never had an issue using these on board any ship.

image.thumb.png.84e7a3f66b74e445e2a3f11113c7db55.png 

Only issue I have ever had is ppl on this board yelling at me about using one😁

I use the same one and have never had any issues.  Leave it plugged in all the time and the cabin person never unplugs it.  

38 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Just got off of the Edge. They had a power box (wooden) that enclosed 2 USB ports, a Universal Outlet and one other plug. 

Isn't the 3 prong European outlet that I attached to illustrate the one in the box, Use Ground?

Please help me to understand these type plus better. 

Thanks.

SS_20210923_165757.jpg

Not sure what the question is, but the presence of the third prong, ground or earth, does not by itself mean the appliance is surge protected, but not having a ground pin means it can't be surge protected.  Yes, European "Schuko" outlets that ships typically have, will have a ground in the two "springs" around the perimeter of the recessed outlet.

8 minutes ago, karena1 said:

I use the same one and have never had any issues.  Leave it plugged in all the time and the cabin person never unplugs it.  

Cabin stewards are not electricians, and are hospitality workers, so they will do whatever keeps the customer happy.  Please, I can't stress that no matter how many times you've used one of these on a ship (and the more times the surge protector is subjected to "reverse voltage", which it can only on ship's wiring), the simple fact is that something as simple as a deck light on the bow of the ship filling with water can cause your "no issues" surge protector in your cabin at the stern to melt and catch fire.  

Please, people, there is no need for a surge protector on a ship.  I have been on ships that have been struck by lightning many times, and have never had any electronics, whether my laptop, tv, or any navigation or engineering electronics damaged in any way even with hundreds of thousands of volts pouring through the steel hull.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2