has anyone used a USB charger in this way?

luckyinpa

as we are aware most cabins dont have outlets next to the bed because the people designing ships dont have cell phones that they use as clocks and want fully charged in the morning. i know extension cords arent allowed on board  so even running a phone brick to a distant outlet is not going to work

but i figured if i have a fully charged portable USB charger, and have it hooked up to the phone every nite, the phone should stay at 100% all night shouldn't it? yup i'm one of those folks that wakes up and HAS to know what time it is, even on vacation. 

edit to add i'm in CLS

Edited by luckyinpa

1 minute ago, luckyinpa said:

as we are aware most cabins dont have outlets next to the bed because the people designing ships dont have cell phones that they use as clocks and want fully charged in the morning. i know extension cords arent allowed on board  so even running a phone brick to a distant outlet is not going to work

but i figured if i have a fully charged portable USB charger, and have it hooked up to the phone every nite, the phone should stay at 100% all night shouldn't it? yup i'm one of those folks that wakes up and HAS to know what time it is, even on vacation. 

I guess, but a battery operated clock is fairly simple solution 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

Oasis has an outlet behind the headboard.  You have to dig for it, but it is there.

We take something like the link below.  Plenty of outlets and our cabin steward agreed that it was not an extension cord.  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IUTIUEA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Or this one without a cord...

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VRW5J67/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

I have several external power chargers I take with me traveling.  I use them on airplanes, next to my hotel and cabin beds, when I'm out around the ship.  I used one a few days ago when I had a power outage at home.

My two favorites are the Aukey super slim charger, and my larger blackweb.  The blackweb goes for a very long time, and has a digital display on the back that tells you how much charge is left. 

Nothing I hate worse than have my iphone battery go way down on a long flight.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

but i figured if i have a fully charged portable USB charger, and have it hooked up to the phone every nite, the phone should stay at 100% all night shouldn't it?

Even without any charging the phone may stay up all night since you will have it in plane mode with maybe just WiFi on.

18 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

edit to add i'm in CLS

yes.  I use one for my phone to charge and use the outlet to charge my laptop.  Then during the day, I recharge the usb charger.  

I have done this at work many times with my phone in my locker.  My children have done it while in class at college.  Its a nice device to have when outlets are limited.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, molly361 said:

Going to try streaming for the first time. Don't know if my Android device will have battery life for an entire movie.  Do they make usb chargers long enough to reach to the bed from where the electric outlets are?

yes.  They have 6 ft cables and 10 ft on Amazon.  I have a few at home.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

edit to add i'm in CLS

Yes, provided you recharge the portable USB Charger.   I do this all the time.

However, since I am on vacation, I tend to leave my cellphone over on the other side of the room and use the ships wake-up system if I need to make sure to wake up at a specific time in the mornings.  

I grew up in an era without smart devices and am finding myself putting them aside more and more, especially when cruising. 

• Like 1

THANK YOU for posting. Pre Covid,  I always carried one in my University backpack just in case I didn't have access to other power to keep my phone charged. I forgot to put one back in when we started up in class lectures a couple of weeks ago. I'm charging one right now to stick back in my backpack. 

And yes, they are very useful for travel too.

11 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I just purchased this off Amazon and used it on Serenade.  It was great.  It simultaneously charge two phones, two iPads, an apple watch, a usb power charger and a Gopro battery charger all at once.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093GBM9KF?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

You sold me! No more taking turns with DH. 

12 hours ago, molly361 said:

Going to try streaming for the first time. Don't know if my Android device will have battery life for an entire movie.  Do they make usb chargers long enough to reach to the bed from where the electric outlets are?

Yes, you can get the cords up to 12 feet long.  Just make sure it's the right connector for your device.  Amazon and ebay both sell all sizes.