The Daily for Monday October 04, 2021

richwmn

Good morning all!  It's a nasty looking start to our day and rain is expected today as well as the rest of the week.  Ugh!  Thank you @richwmnfor today's Daily and @rafinmdfor the lists.  Prayers for all mentioned and special good wishes for Allen and Joy today.  Congrats to all celebrating the goodness in their lives.  I'm not a golfer (just mini) but I bet we have some golfers on our course today even in the rain.  Not a frappe drinker.  Child health is so important because they need a good foundation for the rest of their lives.  I don't eat clams nor the chowder so won't be having any for our meal today.  I enjoyed the quote.  No plans for us so we will sit at home.  What's new, eh?

We've only visited Mykonos once in 2012 on Crown Princess.  I remember seeing Petros the Pelican, mascot of Mykonos.  I think he wishes he could get away from all the tourists sometimes.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKvV5uLmyXg0niVuOr04h9Q?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356369258

Folks, could you please get out of my face?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIZEwqxpZIUdSS_ek1vUpN1?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356369241

The "windmills" of Mykonos.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJO4PMkJ9A63YNh5mttgjOp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356369314

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJF3lLjlJ8eUWQRZkPeRy-T?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356369367

The back alleys00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI6a0ZQlXDVKoTIBABMjJw3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356369342

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLcev29dqUBKaK5OryyIXEW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356369356

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJORytWN7t3ECBEW-x95qkn?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356369396

The good...00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIaBwQR1tnVAjKwarCOXjHP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356369343

And not so good.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKH3SSZTNhJvI64kwLLgQNo?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356369420

And one of my favorite photos from our day there.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLR8rByTTcjEDzC8bN8B_0b?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356369302

• Like 36
  • Thanks 2

Good Monday Morning!

Thank you for the Daily and all who contribute.  Cheers to those celebrating and healing thoughts to those on the care list.

In a couple of hours I will be off for my Monday 18 holes of 🏌️‍♀️.  (My neighbor and I play 18 holes on Monday and Friday.)

We were in Mykonos on November 24, 2009, on Celebrity Solstice -- our first Mediterranean cruise B2B with the Westbound TA.  We took the ship tour over to Delos then wandered town and had  lunch by the beach.

Delos from the ferry

100_6157.thumb.jpg.3f3b109ec0d77a5c7c9a0c84b3bacba0.jpg

Delos

100_6151.thumb.jpg.be6366b89e77e7f45abff289b85fb57b.jpg

313.thumb.jpg.5549c255680cddfdbe2616309d91663d.jpg

282.thumb.jpg.3dae74b6a5ea715ba755816706253db9.jpg

Mykonos from ferry on return from Delos

100_6159.thumb.jpg.aecb80748033442191640812d4778807.jpg

Solstice and one of the Princess grand class ships

100_6166.thumb.jpg.545d28d770747a35233374040f0e1f47.jpg

Of course, the windmills

100_6172.thumb.jpg.5b32c48b43f4fc57dfe7d504728bbe2f.jpg

Lunch and the beach

100_6176.thumb.jpg.223d36fe11adfb978ae63edf2a6f7c96.jpg

100_6177.thumb.jpg.4b08afe00e7d98f909c0357d239bafff.jpg

100_6180.thumb.jpg.6ac53b1ec427a9e5f1b800995154b545.jpg

Street scene

100_6178.thumb.jpg.27526ed25d93738c326133bf7e2de065.jpg

Edited by kb4683
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Good morning from central Texas.   I'm early today since I plan to trim the bushes and if there is tme and I'm not worn out, I'll get the mowing done too.  Otherwise, I'll mow tomorrow morning.

My grandmother gave me golf lessons one summer, but I was never very good.  I've had a frappe once and enjoyed it.  Chidlren's health is so important, especially now.

I like Richard Dawkin's quote.  @richwmn  Thanks for the explanation about Dawkins.

It's been a while since we've had New England clam chowder, but hope to have some during the winter.  I'll pass on the wine and the drink.

@aliaschief  Bruce, from something I read on another thread  the free antigen Covid test may be a requirement for the next segment of your cruise.

@dfish  Debbie, I hope the tests today give you some answers, but also hope they show nothing major.

We have been to Mykonos twice.  In 2003, we were there on the old Regal Princess as part of the mystery cruise.  We rented a car and drove around most of the island.  In 2016, we were there on the Prinsendam and just walked around town. Today's picrtures are a combination from both visits.  After going to Santorini twice, we decided we like Mykonos better.

A couple more pictures of the iconic windmills on Mykonos.

IMG_3228.thumb.JPG.f0d4fa7cbabf9c1973afb0180c2c8351.JPG

DSC08104.thumb.JPG.38091fc65ac0b1a6d8b6dd3b12aceb0e.JPG

Outside the town

IMG_3218.thumb.JPG.f0836b04f7ec578ebf9f87c648511294.JPG

IMG_3220.thumb.JPG.be47e5824562d584adb09eefd788c327.JPG

IMG_3224.thumb.JPG.14c09f48d1cb7098a2a68cfd18e1ebc5.JPG

IMG_3220.thumb.JPG.be47e5824562d584adb09eefd788c327.JPG

For the Garden Club

IMG_3219.thumb.JPG.6262b3d96c5b913f405fa990a587b21b.JPG

Back in town, Paraportiani Orthodox church on the waterfront

DSC08092.thumb.JPG.20c20ed26df09315d376994f084c2065.JPG

Some of the back streets in townDSC08107.thumb.JPG.d5a18fed7bacf9dffba1af3ad470932a.JPG

DSC08096.thumb.JPG.9da17762ade7dff5e5b098528d3ac246.JPG

DSC08098.thumb.JPG.a091017dc8fc7ca8962f1d3fe5ff7ccf.JPG

DSC08099.thumb.JPG.c5fdc9338059d52f7a2f5e2296d1e27b.JPG

DSC08105.thumb.JPG.af0fc18c901acaf91cb465d1580db30d.JPG

Mykonos from the ship

IMG_3204.thumb.JPG.ca70de845bab238f5605c1e919054041.JPG

Lenda

IMG_3212.JPG

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

I don't want to start a thread but will ask my "family". Does the Lido serve the same menu for dinner that the MDR does?

Not exactly the same but a lot of similarity with added selections.  The menu is posted for both lunch and dinner.  You can get it on the Navigator app or just nip up to the lido and take a peak.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

Good morning everyone from a rainy, gray Provincetown (still beats going to work) and thank-you Rich for the daily report.  No golfing here in the rain today, a frappe sounds like a nice alternative though.  Child Health Day is very important.  Thought provoking quote today or not, if my brain drops out!  I had a delicious clam chowder yesterday at The Lobster Pot and I may just do so again today.  I haven’t been to today’s port and can’t wait for the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event!

Have some chowdah for me, please!

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

Good Morning Everyone from a warm and sunny day at the beach

Oh my goodness, what a collection of days! All my favorites. I would love to have a frappe and a bowl of good clam chowder and then play golf.  I have played for many years, and enjoy being out. I take my DD with me and she rides along in the cart with me. She enjoys being out and it was one of the very few things we could do during the pandemic. I play every Thursday and Saturday and have been know to " sneak" in and extra round when I can. 

Have not been to todays port.   Pictures are wonderful!

Off to water aerobics.

Stay safe and enjoy today.

• Like 24

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Monday smile 🙂 

Interesting collection of days.  I rarely golfed except in the odd tournament for charity in years past.  Haven’t had a frappe in years!  Child Health is important every day - especially in these times.

Love the Dawkins quote and the meal suggestion for today.  Maritime seafood chowder is scrumptious!

That white wine sounds great especially if it isn’t in the oak too long 😉 

47EBAE02-1CD3-4F5F-991A-B638A50C6A57.jpeg.4531aa467fa82a2c7a86f7f12e2ea8f1.jpeg

Really hoping it warms up out there.  It’s compost day tomorrow and I’d like to make the most of it 😉   Yesterday was decent when the sun came out but when it clouded over it was very brrrr-y.

Mykonos is a beautiful spot.  Thank you everyone for bringing back memories with your wonderful pictures.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Monday everyone !!!!!!

4CE2D967-D351-4343-9B3F-587686080F40.thumb.jpeg.b7af830a1407aba29b90e48b4c12212d.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your mask !!!

• Like 34
  • Haha 3

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Starting the day with a conference call.  I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion.  I’m planning on having chicken for dinner tonight.

@Mr. Boston I hope you are enjoying PTown.  We haven’t been there this year but am planning on going one of these fall weekends.  The off season is my favorite.  I’d like a bowl of Napis Portuguese kale soup on a day like today.

I hope that everyone has a good day today.

• Like 25

I was raised in the Pacific Northwest and the extent of my cultural experience prior to moving to Maine only included west coast travel (Vancouver, BC, to Tijuana, Mexico). Maine was like a fun, foreign country experience for me.  I learned that chowder wasn't just about the clams. There was also corn chowder, fish chowder, and all sorts of other variations of chowder, including Spam chowder.

Another strange experience was learning that a 'milkshake' didn't have ice cream in it. Apparently, if you desire ice cream you have to order a frappe. Who knew?

• Like 28

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists.

I love chowder - especially with some freshly baked bread on a cold day. Unfortuntely, we don't get very many of those here, so I have to settle for a day when the temperature and humidity are below 90. (It's all relative, right? LOL)

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 23

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I only ever golfed as a child with my dad, and had 1 boyfriend who let me carry his clubs . . .   I haven't had a frappe in ages; maybe it's time to have one soon.  Children's health should be an everyday thing, especially in times like these.

It's another beautiful day here on the "frozen tundra", so we'll be able to do more yard work, getting it ready for the end of the growing season.  I still have a bunch of day lilies that need cutting down; I just hate doing it, as I know snow won't be very far in the future.

We've been to Mykonos and have many photos the same as have been posted.  We enjoyed walking through the alleys and shops, wandering the beach, and stopping for lunch at one of the seaside bar/restaurants for our traditional beer in every port.  We'd happily go back again.

I like today's menu suggestion, but agree, it's better to leave it for a cold and blustery day.  I don't have to cook tonight, as a friend is celebrating her 75th birthday by taking 2 couples out to a steak house.  She wanted to have a large celebration, but due to Covid restrictions, couldn't, so she's treating the 4 of us instead.  She doesn't want a  fuss, so we're showing up at the restaurant in crazy hats that we've made.  LOL  I'm pretty sure tonight's menu will consist of escargots, steaks, baked potatoes, veggies, and birthday cake.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  We'll be clinking the glasses together to celebrate our friend's 75th and all who are on the happy list.  Wash your hands, stay well, wear your masks, be safe, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 30

Good morning everyone. Just awakening here on the Pacific. Another sea day which we love.

As I mentioned yesterday we had our first dining in MDR. Very few diners at late fixed which we have been experiencing on previous cruises. If social distancing is your thing then try late fixed. Meal was fine and the wine was poured by our head waiter as quickly as if we had wine stewards.

I know many are anti phone and Navigator App but we really like it and find it very helpful.

Time to start moving and get ready for breakfast. Rudy our waiter yesterday presenting the rolls, muffins tray made us all laugh when he said “Buy one get one free!”

Thanks to all.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Good morning  and what a great collection  of days.I will celebrate  all even if I don't  golf.Clam chowder is a favorite  here  and we are fortunate  to have an excellent  fish store locally.I am enjoying  the beautiful  pictures  of Mykonos.A big thank you to all the posters.

My family is finally doing well.DGC will be back in school by the end of the week  and DDIL is feeling much better. She has another week to quarantine. @rafinmd thank you so much for keeping them on the lists but I believe  things are quite improved now. We have had many months of illness and are so grateful for all of your good wishes.

Our miracle baby is doing well and receiving PT at home to aid her development.I am still trying to get a recent picture with her eyes open!Tana is doing better as well.She remains on oxygen but is able to be in her own home.

Again,thanks so much for all you do.

This is what I found on top of the shed this morning. A new stray has  joined  the outdoor gang.Unfortunately  people are abandoning pets more often.He is used to people.

5711.jpeg

• Like 31

31 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

I was raised in the Pacific Northwest and the extent of my cultural experience prior to moving to Maine only included west coast travel (Vancouver, BC, to Tijuana, Mexico). Maine was like a fun, foreign country experience for me.  I learned that chowder wasn't just about the clams. There was also corn chowder, fish chowder, and all sorts of other variations of chowder, including Spam chowder.

Another strange experience was learning that a 'milkshake' didn't have ice cream in it. Apparently, if you desire ice cream you have to order a frappe. Who knew?

Moving to MA learning the difference between frappe and milkshake was a bit of a culture shock.  After 25 years I still struggle with it.🤣

• Like 18
  • Haha 5

14 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning everyone. Just awakening here on the Pacific. Another sea day which we love.

As I mentioned yesterday we had our first dining in MDR. Very few diners at late fixed which we have been experiencing on previous cruises. If social distancing is your thing then try late fixed. Meal was fine and the wine was poured by our head waiter as quickly as if we had wine stewards.

I know many are anti phone and Navigator App but we really like it and find it very helpful.

Time to start moving and get ready for breakfast. Rudy our waiter yesterday presenting the rolls, muffins tray made us all laugh when he said “Buy one get one free!”

Thanks to all.

Bruce, I had to laugh a little at your comment about the waiter pouring the wine about as fast as the wine stewards.  On some recent cruises, the wine stewards were so over extended, there was often a long wait between pourings.

12 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning  and what a great collection  of days.I will celebrate  all even if I don't  golf.Clam chowder is a favorite  here  and we are fortunate  to have an excellent  fish store locally.I am enjoying  the beautiful  pictures  of Mykonos.A big thank you to all the posters.

My family is finally doing well.DGC will be back in school by the end of the week  and DDIL is feeling much better. She has another week to quarantine. @rafinmd thank you so much for keeping them on the lists but I believe  things are quite improved now. We have had many months of illness and are so grateful for all of your good wishes.

Our miracle baby is doing well and receiving PT at home to aid her development.I am still trying to get a recent picture with her eyes open!Tana is doing better as well.She remains on oxygen but is able to be in her own home.

Again,thanks so much for all you do.

This is what I found on top of the shed this morning. A new stray has  joined  the outdoor gang.Unfortunately  people are abandoning pets more often.He is used to people.

5711.jpeg

Terry , that's  good news about the DGC and your DDIL improving.  Thanks for the updates on Camilla and Tana.  It looks like things are heading in the right direction.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

👍Rich @richwmn thank you for The Daily and Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration Lists.

Another warm one in the 90's!!

Occasionally, I'll order a frappe...mostly the brown sugar oatmilk shaken espresso supposedly 120 calories.

😉I remember walking around Mykonos and seeing the fish pedicure....maybe next time?🤓

🙏Prayers for all in need.

Katie

FB_IMG_1633357018745.jpg

20211004_072419.jpg

• Like 23
  • Haha 3

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days. I like watching golf, like frappes, and child health is important. Also it's my birthday!

Interesting quote.

I like  Manhattan clam chowder more than New England. I'll pass on the drink and wine.

I've been to Greece, but not Mykonos. Thanks for the pictures.

I have a routine Cardiology appointment this afternoon. Then out to dinner in the early evening. Hopefully the restaurant won't be too full. It's raining, so not sure about any outside seating. They predict rain through Friday.

@Seasick Sailor Thinking of Allen and you today. Prayers for a successful surgery.

@grapau27 That pizza looks great.

@dfish Good luck with the x-rays; mine sure showed stuff I wasn't expecting, but I think PT is helping.

@mamaofami It sounds like you all had a wonderful day yesterday. 

@smitty34877 I'm glad to hear the DGC and DDIL are feeling better, also Tana and Miss Camilla.

@HAL4NOW I went to school in Boston and was shocked when I first ordered a milkshake and there was no ice cream in it. I found out if I wanted ice cream I needed to order a frappe.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

I know many are anti phone and Navigator App

Not anti-smartphone. Just don't have a need for one. My cellphone is off except when I need to make a long distance call or am away from home and expect a call. (Like at a convention when I'm on the committee.) Sometimes I don't turn the phone on for 2 or 3 months. I do understand why most people have the need for one.

I see the value of the Navigator app, but for one or two cruises a year, that's not enough to justify purchasing a smartphone. IMO. Especially since I can access the Navigator from my laptop while onboard a BHB.

• Like 20

I read on my phone but it wouldn't let me post at all on CC today.  Hopefully when we are all floating around out in the Pacific in a few days I will be able to post. If not then after Saturday or Sunday I may be absent for a bit even if I can read and stay current. The clouds today are broken and creating a beautiful display for my viewing pleasure but it is again cold. I woke too early so was counting the days between getting off the Rotterdam and getting on the Koningsdag in a few days.  547 days without a BHB under my feet. I am getting excited. And can't wait to meet face to face some of my Dailyite family members. 

• Like 28

A funny story from our waiter about the first wine bottle he opened for a guest at the table. The cork went into the bottle. He quickly did an about face and “ I’ll be right back.”

Practice makes perfect.

The Pinnacle has been quite last two nights. The crew is saying this is their vacation compared to the pace in Alaska.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

Richard Dawkins is a British evolutionary biologist and author. He is an emeritus fellow of New College, Oxford and was Professor for Public Understanding of Science in the University of Oxford from 1995 to 2008. An atheist, he is well known for his criticism of creationism and intelligent design.Wikipedia

Oops...wrong person. I apologize. Thank you for letting me know; I learned something new today.

• Like 11