Four days until our NCL Bliss sailing, how to overcome travel anxiety?

Shellbelle28

I have NEVER felt anxious about traveling but I am honestly dreading our flight to the cruise port and the boarding process.

It was my choice to book and go, but I didn't expect to have these feelings! There are so many more unknowns, so many more hurdles than back in the pre-covid times. I have no control over most of it, I can't make plans that will assure everything goes smoothly, I just have to be optimistic. 

Those who have traveled since the restart, did you feel like this? Any reassuring thoughts to share? Thanks!

• Like 1

We were on the Encore to Alaska 9/4/21. We live about an hour and a half from the cruise terminal so I can't speak to the flight anxiety but the cruise experience was wonderful. We got a PCR test on 9/1 so we would be covered in case of a positive at boarding. We arrived early at the port and were taken right in for testing. We had to wait about 30 minutes for the results and shouts went out as we got our wrist bands that said we were OK.  Next step was waiting for our group to board. Masks came off as we got on the ship and were not needed until we disembarked. Onboard things were just like our 2019 cruise on the Bliss except there were no crowds for the elevators and restaurants had almost no waiting. If you decide to do the Cavern Club, remember to get there about 20 minutes before the show so you can get a nice seat. Bottom line, you will have a wonderful time. Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Understand! We are on the Bliss in December, same cruise. All the new Covid protcols can be a bit nerveracking. Look forward to seeing any posts from you as you and friends navigate these new times. Safe travels. Breath. Consider what Cole Thornton said. Have a wonderful cruise!  🙂 🥂 

• Thanks 1

Have taken 3 cruises since the start ups, one each in July, August and October.  Flew to FL 2X and SEA 1X.  Anxiety?  No.  Exhilaration?  Oh, hell yeah!  From researching, to planning, to booking, to flying to embarking.  Loved all of it.  

I think the key to it is sailing with a cruise line that knows what they’re doing. The two cruise lines I sailed (NCL and Celebrity) both knew what they were doing and didn’t waver about it, nor make it difficult for the passengers.  

COVID protocols were a piece of cake.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We have been on 3 cruises since restart, flew to all. And have flown to multiple vacation spots. 

For the most part, travel is back to pre-pandemic “normal” and once you are on the ship it feels like pre-pandemic “normal”. 

Yeah,,, there is the mask thing on the planes and in many locations (including the cruise terminal). But not much different than at home,,, some places you need a mask. Others are optional,,, but you should. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can relate to the nervousness. We were ready in terms of what was expected of us, paper and digital versions of everything and screenshots in case of wifi issues.

I won't lie, not feeling completely in control gave me an underlying unease that I've never had before which made it a little difficult to 100% enjoy the excitement that comes in the days before departure. 

However, all of that went away from the moment we arrived at the terminal.

It was like stepping onto a conveyer belt that slowed and deposited you at the next step, then set off again. Everything just flowed. Despite having the additional step of COVID tests in the terminal, this was the fastest, least stressful embarkation we've experienced. From stepping out of the taxi to stepping onto the ship took 45 mins. The only waiting we did was the 15 mins for our test result. There were no lines, no pushing, a limited number of people around us.

As boarding was done with half hour check-in times, the amount of people boarding at any time was limited, which helped with the flow of people onto the ship, into the buffet, into the lifts. Honestly, it was smooth as silk.

Throughout the cruise, while there were some limitations such as fewer entertainment options, everything continued to flow. It was like being on a more luxurious ship because the ever friendly and accommodating crew just seemed to be exactly where and when they were needed.

There's nothing you can do to quash your feelings, but you can know that those feelings will change when you get there because almost everything will be the same and some of the differences make everything better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shellbelle28 said:

I have NEVER felt anxious about traveling but I am honestly dreading our flight to the cruise port and the boarding process.

It was my choice to book and go, but I didn't expect to have these feelings! There are so many more unknowns, so many more hurdles than back in the pre-covid times. I have no control over most of it, I can't make plans that will assure everything goes smoothly, I just have to be optimistic. 

Those who have traveled since the restart, did you feel like this? Any reassuring thoughts to share? Thanks!

No big issues on the two cruises I have taken since Aug 1, relax, you’ll be fine. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Muckyduckway said:

I can relate to the nervousness. We were ready in terms of what was expected of us, paper and digital versions of everything and screenshots in case of wifi issues.

I won't lie, not feeling completely in control gave me an underlying unease that I've never had before which made it a little difficult to 100% enjoy the excitement that comes in the days before departure. 

However, all of that went away from the moment we arrived at the terminal.

@Muckyduckway Thank you! I actually got a little choked up reading your description of how you felt. I appreciate you sharing. 

• Like 2

I recently traveled for the first time since Covid, and had very similar anxious/nervous feelings.

It wasn't a cruise, but I flew to an all inclusive resort, alone. I think once you get to the airport,

you'll start to relax.

If you really think about it, there are not really THAT many things that are different.

You've done all your research, probably repeatedly. And you DO have control over almost 

everything that you always did.

Don't forget this; everyone that you will encounter, from cab drivers, hotel staff, restaurant, airport and cruise staff, etc. have done this many, many times for quite a while now, so none of the 'new' stuff/hurdles are new to them.

Everyone will help and guide you along the way. You won't have to figure it outby yourself!

If you aren't sure about something, just ask!

People who work in the travel/tourism industry are thankful to have you back!

Try to relax, take a big breath and enjoy the new experiences!

You're gonna have a GREAT time!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Shellbelle28 said:

It's a bit late for this advise but I would have taken a couple shorter flights/weekend trips before jumping in on a cruise.  A lot of people haven't traveled in 2 years and it shows with anxiety, people acting out, etc.

This is what anti-anxiety meds are for.  I fly a fair amount for business and pleasure and, even pre-pandemic, a long flight wasn't my idea of a good time.  I drop a low-dosage Klonopin about an hour before I board and it chills me out.  If you've never done this before, I suggest a "dry run" before your actual trip. 

Someone else suggested alcohol and if a drink will help settle you down, great.  But alcohol is also the reason some people get duct taped to their seats so be careful 🙂

• Like 2

It really comes down to what your anxiety is about. Is it about the testing? The documentation? The health risk of flying/cruising? 

I took an international trip recently. Not a cruise, but included many flights and reservations along with 3 covid tests. We were really just nervous about the covid tests. Not really any way around that, although 2 of ours HAD to be PCR so the home antigen tests weren't a possibility. I would strongly prefer any rapid or home antigen test since the results are so quick. Our strategy was to schedule the test as early as we could, fill our day with something else to do to take our minds off it, and then all the tests came back fine. No issues. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shellbelle28 said:

Xanax is a beautiful thing.  

I rarely take it but it can get you over some irrational short term anxiety.

• Like 1

while in reality, this wont help you, but take a deep breath, and pretend its travel as usual, and tell your self youre going to have a great time.

youre already booked, all travel arrangements have been made, so why worry yourself unnecessarily 

have a drink onthe plane, get an unbrella drink by the pool on board, and just prepare for a great time

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shellbelle28 said:

My partner was like you. But then she gets anxiety when she feels she's not coping or it's getting too much.

The weeks before the flights and cruise, she took lateral flow tests weekly to give herself used to taking them. Plus having that sense of knowing she was negative.

We had an issue with our initial flights being cancelled. That didn't help. But our TA sorted it. Then our PCR tests we did on the Thursday before flying didn't come through. I was literally calling on the way to the airport. So we took another test at the airport, antigen. Again that didn't help. 

This is just to show you that she coped with these two experiences even though she was anxious. Even waiting for test results at the port wasn't good for her. 

She admitted that the first couple of the cruise, she wasn't feeling great but afterwards when she could relax, she started to enjoy herself. And she was glad she did all this. There are more hurdles but jump high as the reward is worth it

Like someone said, can you identify what it is that making you have anxiety? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yinster said:

My partner was like you. But then she gets anxiety when she feels she's not coping or it's getting too much.

I'm a planner and when things don't work out, I can get stressed.  One coping mechanism that works for me is flowcharting various failure points and then planning contingencies where possible.  I know I sound like those patients of Dr. Rick in the Progressive commercial but it works for me. 

For instance, I'm going to take a PCR test on Wednesday before my Sunday cruise.  But I'm flying Saturday and I want my results before I get on the plane.  I SHOULD have results, but...what if I don't?  Well, I'll map out various places I can get an antigen test, including at the airport. Now I'll be less stressed about the timing of my PCR but I should still have PCR results for NCL''s benefit.  I also arrive at the airport hours early (I can have a always couple drinks in the Centurion Lounge!)

Good luck to OP in her travels!  And as I'm traveling on the Bliss in December, I'd be most appreciative if you post the dailies when you get back!  Helps me to plan things out a month in advance 🙂

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 3

To the OP, fully understand your post!!   Have only taken one flight since Covid take over, it was in first class, so not having to sit next to an unknown person sure helped.  BUT getting on a Cruise, which we want so much, and booked for January 2022, is a stressor for sure.   Know I will be on anxiety overload, but, going for it.  I worry about everything possible everyday, but somehow going to look forward the next few months to cruising.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Shellbelle28 said:

Probably driving 8 hours to visit family doesn't count as traveling, but your concerns are the exact reason(s) why we haven't flown again yet and why we did not make final payments on our booked December B2B cruises.  We attribute the change 'back to our reluctance' (after confidence from our 2-shot Pfizer regimen) was the appearance of the Delta variant, impact on even the vaccinated, and it subsequent summer into fall surge in % of all categories.

Even after just getting the 3rd or 'booster,' still wary of scheduled holiday cross country flights to see our sons, spouses and grandkids.

So, you've done better than us by at least taking the next step.  Good for you.  Good luck and hope you have safe travels and a great cruise.

👍

• Like 1

OP I wish you good travels- I didn't have a cruise this year but went to NYC for some concerts 2 months ago and was anxious about getting sick there despite being vaccinated and safe. 

I would just recommend masking when you can and using hand wipes and trying if possible to relax a bit just to ease the stress from the immune system.

I did take Amtrak and was able to distance, in the train station itself not everyone will observe the rules.

• Like 1

I did the Gem out of Miami at the end of August, and I understand your anxiety. I was more scared flying than being on the cruise. DH and I tested ahead of the cruise and laid low for a couple days prior as well. At the airport we hung out at deserted terminals until we had to board, and we double-masked. They were requiring masks on our flights at all times, and we noticed people obeying that, so it felt good. Overall it was not as bad as we thought.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Probably driving 8 hours to visit family doesn't count as traveling, but your concerns are the exact reason(s) why we haven't flown again yet and why we did not make final payments on our booked December B2B cruises.  We attribute the change 'back to our reluctance' (after confidence from our 2-shot Pfizer regimen) was the appearance of the Delta variant, impact on even the vaccinated, and it subsequent summer into fall surge in % of all categories.

Even after just getting the 3rd or 'booster,' still wary of scheduled holiday cross country flights to see our sons, spouses and grandkids.

So, you've done better than us by at least taking the next step.  Good for you.  Good luck and hope you have safe travels and a great cruise.

👍

Go visit family, life is too short not to.