The Daily for Friday October 29, 2021

richwmn

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the TGIF daily, Rich.  Frankenstein is certainly appropriate for the start of Halloween weekend.  We're starting to become a bit less hermits than we've been the last 18 months.  I don't really know a lot about lemurs and don't think I've ever seen one in the flesh.  I love the Burke quote and have been through the Panama Canal many times, most recently on MS Prinsendam.  I'll pass on the Tuna.  My alternative is Tropical Fruit Cup, Bleechers Macaroni and Cheese, and Blueberry-Mango Crisp as served on MS Amsterdam October 29, 2017:

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/dishes29.jpg

Leave in under half an hour to meet the radiologist.  Will be away most of the morning.

Today’s care list:

57redbird DH awaiting delayed prostate cancer surgery after testing positive
Welfare of furloughed crews
cunorl’s (lymphona) and DH’s (stroke) sisters
kakalina with spreading lung cancer
irishjim DW with broken arm
marshhawk’s DH recovering from vascular surgery
From the rotation:
cat shepard’s friend recovering from aggressive chemo
StLouisSal not hearing from friend with liver transplant
NextOne  DDIL with long haul Covid

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Welcome aboard NCTribeFan
Nieuw Statendam arriving in Everglades
2 BHB in Everglades Saturday (Cruise for NA, crew changer for NS Fri-Sat)
2 days with SusieKIslandGirl
4 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Kazu filling in for dfish
Several dailyites getting boosters
1Angelcat biopsy complete (awaiting results)
Last day for Vict0riann and sailingdutchy
Lady President// and Gail& Marty  at sea
Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

57redbird DH awaiting delayed prostate cancer surgery after testing positive ---Roy, please take us off the 'care' list for now....his surgery's been rescheduled for Nov. 29 --- we think it must have been a false positive because I've been tested twice & have been negative both times.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 6

Good morning from sunny Quartzsite.  The high is predicted to be 93F., so I'll open the house to pre-cool it this morning.

I'm not a Frankenstein fan, but love Young Frankenstein.  True hermits are interesting people. Since we left the Rotterdam in early 2020, we've been hermits for the most part.  Lemurs are cute, and need protecting.

The Edmund Burke quote is true.

DH likes tuna, but I'm not fond of it.  The texture of properly cooked tuna is off-putting.  I guess that's why I don't eat sushi, but DH does.  With coffee as an ingredient, I'll pass on the drink.  The wine sounds good.

We've been through the Panama Canal many times, but I've already shared most of my Canal pictures.

Last night, we shared one of the ribeyes we brought yesterday.  Even though it was not a high priced piece of meat, it tasted just as good.  The project this morning is to get the rest of the meat in the freezer, then wash the motorhome.

@rafinmd Roy, glad you now have a treatment plan and that the side effects will not be too bad.

@HAL Sailer  Good news about your DGD and DGS.  I know they are glad to take part in the Halloween celebrations at school.

@smitty34877  Terry, I hope Camilla's family gets the power back on soon.

@summer slope  Sending best wishes for your your friend's surgery, and for his wife, too.

@ger_77 Gerry, our condolences on the loss of your friend.

@Crazy For Cats and @kazu  Thank you for the cat memes.  

Good news that all who got their boosters shots no longer have sore arms.  We felt any discomfort from the shots was a small price to pay to stay well.

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, 57redbird said:

57redbird DH awaiting delayed prostate cancer surgery after testing positive ---Roy, please take us off the 'care' list for now....his surgery's been rescheduled for Nov. 29 --- we think it must have been a false positive because I've been tested twice & have been negative both times.

Thanks for the update.  Best wishes for a successful surgery.

• Like 14

24 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

I think I should put you on the Rotation until the surgery.

Roy

• Like 15

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  One of the television channels has Young Frankenstein on their line-up for tonight, so guess what I'll be watching?  It's one of my favourite movies that never fails to get laughs.  I feel like we've been hermits for the past 1.5 years, and it's getting a little old.  Leemurs are cute critters and so much fun to watch.

I feel like a new woman today - had my hair coloured and cut yesterday, and got caught up on all the local gossip.  My stylist lives at the end of the block where she has her salon in a special addition built onto their home.  I love the tidbits she gives me which start with "I won't tell you who this is, but . . . " and proceeds to tell me things that either leave me in fits of laughter, or with my hand over my mouth in surprise.  It also makes me wonder which of the neighbours she's talking about!

Not a lot on the docket today, which is fine, because this morning at 10:30 we'll be watching the live streamed funeral of our friend who passed away last week.  We would have driven to Calgary for it, but with Covid restrictions, funerals are limited to 50 people, and both our friend and his wife come from large families.  We'll sit in front of the computer with a box of tissues close at hand.

@JAM37I love the lemur lovey you made - what a treasure!

I like today's menu suggestion, but prefer tuna more medium than just seared.  DH won't touch raw fish, it really doesn't appeal to him.  It was interesting to watch him squirm when we were in Japan a few years ago at a fugu restaurant where they brought the fish fillets to the table and they were still twitching.  I thought he was going to bolt for the door, but he kept his cool and hung in there.  That was definitely one meal for the books.  LOL

Friday night is traditionally pizza night at our house, so we'll check the take-out menus and see what appeals to us.   It's too cold now to sit on the enclosed deck, so we'll be enjoying our hot pizza inside our warm house.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for @rafinmdas you see your radiologist today, and for @summer slope's friends as well.  Clinking the glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, and stay well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Sending our condolences for your friend Gerry.

Graham.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

There was good and not so good news today but I'm fairly optimistic.  The Doctor is recommending a full course of radiation (I was hoping for something quick because things seem to be pretty minor) but it does not sound like the side effects will be too bad.  It would start the second week of November and continue through mid-December, 5 mornings a week.  The Doctor seemed pretty congenial (and he was mentored by the surgeon who removed my prostate) and they seem to be willing to work with me on scheduling.  There are a few things I will be doing to start getting ready but I remain pretty hopeful.

I was out of the office in time to get to our Mall for my morning walk before it opened  for customers.  It's a nasty day here (I was lucky to get from the car to the office and back without getting drenched) and I'll mostly be home hunkered down for most of the day.

Just got a message that there's a visit summary from the Doctor.

Roy

Sending our best wishes Roy.

Graham & Pauline.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks all!  We’ve been on a partial transit, but not to Balboa.  

@summer slope prayers for your friends,  such. Tough time to be facing surgery!  That drink sounds good tomDH, just not me.  
@cat shepardinteresting wine, love that area. 

@rafinmd

the treatments are quick but you may be fatigued after,  so make sure to eat well and get your rest.  

@ger_77sending virtual hugs!  
I am thankful to have also had my booster yesterday, a slightly sore arm and a little under the weather are side effects I’m ok with! 

I loved the Hallowe’en story of the kids leaving treats.   We celebrated at our Campground in September, so much more fun than in the cold.  

6F19CB1C-92A5-4EEC-BC89-34211CFBED42.jpeg

95E7F4DA-B5B7-43F7-BA9E-059A87071399.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 21

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. I like the old Frankenstein movies. I've been sort of a Hermit since early 2020. Lemurs are cute. It's also National Cat Day. Great quote.

I'll pass on the tuna, and wine. The drink sounds interesting.

I've been through the Panama Canal (new locks) so sailed past Balboa, but it was at night.

It's cloudy, cold and rainy here today. I just grated up some zucchini, so I'll make muffins and turkey burgers this afternoon. 

@rafinmd Sorry the radiologist recommended a full course of radiation, but good that side effects may not be too bad. Continued prayers for your treatment.

@summer slope Prayers for Frank and Rita that his surgery and recovery go well.

@Seasick Sailor I'm aggravated for you on the lack of progress!

@HAL Sailer Good news on DGD and DGS being able to return to school.

@smitty34877 I hope the family's power is back on soon; thank goodness Camilla's GM has it.

@ger_77 It's sad when services can't be attended. but necessary in these times I suppose. Hugs.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning/afternoon all!

I'm really late today. It seems several of us had a hard time sleeping last night!  Will see how today goes!  I think I was awake from 1-5 am 😞  

@StLouisCruisersDH is in contact with the car rental in Honningsvag that you recommended. 🙂  Thank you again!  It would be great if we have beautiful weather on our day there, but we're prepared -- I read that it can be very foggy.  Do you remember if the drive there is fairly flat?  Just thinking of driving here on winding steep hills when it's foggy 🙂  

Our other project today is setting up appointments to get quotes for putting in central A/C.  We have 2 appointments so far, and will get at least one more.  There's no hurry, as long as we get the job done before next summer. 

@rafinmdRoy glad to hear you have a treatment plan in place and that they will work with your schedule.  Also good to hear the side effects should be minimal.

@HAL Sailerso happy to hear your DGS and DGD are cleared to return to school!  While we were gone on our cruise (I found out later) that our 2 DGS were exposed to Covid -- their cousins who most likely got it when visiting their Dad during a weekend with him.  Long story, but we've always worried about that possibility.  The good news is that they (and our DSIL and DD) never got it.  

@summer slopeprayers for your friend's upcoming surgery.

@ger_77sending hugs as you virtually attend your friend's services.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Good morning!  At least it is still morning in Colorado!  And a bright, but coolish day.  Not a cloud in the sky.  Just walked over to the mailbox and I was cold.  Slight windy which adds to the chill.

@summer slopesending prayers for successful surgery for your friend and support prayers for his wife.  Not sure about the drink of the day-between terra cotta pot and lighting it on fire!????!

@rafinmd glad that you have a treatment plan.  Best wishes for very minimal side effects!  

Trying to figure out when I want to go for a mani/pedi.  It is either today or tomorrow or wait till mid week after Tuesday!  I have my WTC annual monitoring exam on Tuesday, so I always leave the whole day for that.  I am always apprehensive about it, at least until it is over.  Between that and the pulmonologist!!!

I am now in the process of trying to research how I will be able to get the pre-boarding COVID test for my January 30 cruise on the Zuiderdam.  I will be in Hawaii for 2-1/2 weeks before that.  Guess it will all work out, but it is just one more jumpable hoop.  Also trying to figure out how to pack for almost 5 weeks combining two different types of trips into one!  What was I thinking when I booked the two together?  Oh well, I will be out of Colorado during the usual coldest time!  (First world problem)

Have a great day, everyone!

• Like 17

I was very excited to see a HAL ship in Port Everglades today when I braved the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show crowds to go to Publix.

"How excited?" you may ask.... Well, exited enough to be go through the trouble of opening a private browser window so I can post this. (My regular phone browser won't let me log out. And, when I try to post, it quotes the entire frigging thread.)

I've tried multiple browsers and all the tricks that I know. Nothing worked. Fortunately for me, I am tech savvy enough to know that it's not my fault.

I'll miss participating in sail aways. (Unless you count the cruise ship cocktails on the balcony. I'm totally doing that.)

Fall weather is finally upon us in South Florida. Have a glorious weekend all!

• Like 25
  • Haha 1

Good Afternoon Everyone from a warm and windy day at the beach.

Not a fan of tuna so will pass on todays meal suggestion. 

@ger_77   So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. Even more difficult not to be able to attend the service. Virtual hugs to you.

@rafinmdRoy-   Sorry you have to go through all that but at least it sounds like it wi;; be successful. Hang in there.  

@Horizon chaser 1957  Love the pictures of the daily elevator mats. Really brings a smile everyday.

My sister was hospitalized yesterday. Her blood counts are low so she is receiving transfusions. She still cant eat and is continuing to lose weight which is not a good thing. They are trying a new medication to curb the nausea. I really want to go to see her. She is in Boston, I am in Florida. The Doctor said absolutely not. She can only see her DH, son and my other sister. No one else.

Her son is going to set up a Zoom call tomorrow if she is up to it.  Best we can do at present.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 11
  • Thanks 7

Good afternoon everyone. I just realized I never got here today. I woke to find out that Sam slid out of bed. Thankfully, he did not hit his head because his warfarin numbers are 2x what they should be and for the moment he’s off of it. We just sent another blood reading to his cardiologist and are waiting to hear from them about what to give him this weekend. They just called and he’s off the meds till Sunday night. 
Never a dull moment here.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 8
  • Thanks 10

@summer slopepraying for Frank and Rita.

@ger_77I'm so sorry you had to attend the funeral virtually. You have been on my mind all day. Sending hugs.

@rafinmd I am sorry full treatment has been recommended and will be praying for minimal side effects. Keep your positive attitude and keep yourself on the care list. (Even if you don't we will all be out here caring and cheering for you. 😉)

@smitty34877hope to hear the power is on soon.

@cunnorlcontinued prayers. It will be comforting to see and talk with your sister even if only via Zoom.

@mamaofamimy goodness! I am glad Sam didn't get hurt. You definitely need some dull moments right about now. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

@StLouisCruisersDH is in contact with the car rental in Honningsvag that you recommended. 🙂  Thank you again!  It would be great if we have beautiful weather on our day there, but we're prepared -- I read that it can be very foggy.  Do you remember if the drive there is fairly flat?  Just thinking of driving here on winding steep hills when it's foggy 🙂  

I would say the area is rolling hillsides, definitely not flat.  And not real steep either.  We didn't see that many cars on the road and were ahead of the ship's tour buses.  And since there aren't that many roads it should be easy enough to figure out the route.  I'd try to get a map from the internet to take with you.  Two towns we stopped at after visiting North Cape are Skarsvag, the fishing village 8.7 miles from North Cape according to my search and Gjesvaer where bird watching tours set out from.  I'm not sure of the distance between that place and North Cape or Honningsvag.  You will also want to determine the location of the Sami village tourist building.  Since Marty of @Gail & Marty sailing awaywas driving I'm not sure how he knew which way to go.  Perhaps he'd been there before.  So if I were you and renting a vehicle I'd try to determine the route I was going to take. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

@POA1 Cruise ship cocktails on the balcony sounds like a good time.

@cunnorl Sorry to hear that your DS had to be hospitalized for the low counts. And I'm sure it's hard not to be able to visit; I hope you can at least get to talk to her via Zoom.

@mamaofami Thank goodness Sam didn't hit his head when he slid out of bed. Sometimes the warfarin dose can be tricky to get right early on.

• Like 12

24 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good afternoon everyone. I just realized I never got here today. I woke to find out that Sam slid out of bed. Thankfully, he did not hit his head because his warfarin numbers are 2x what they should be and for the moment he’s off of it. We just sent another blood reading to his cardiologist and are waiting to hear from them about what to give him this weekend. They just called and he’s off the meds till Sunday night. 
Never a dull moment here.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

33 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

@ger_77   So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. Even more difficult not to be able to attend the service. Virtual hugs to you.

@rafinmdRoy-   Sorry you have to go through all that but at least it sounds like it wi;; be successful. Hang in there.  

@Horizon chaser 1957  Love the pictures of the daily elevator mats. Really brings a smile everyday.

My sister was hospitalized yesterday. Her blood counts are low so she is receiving transfusions. She still cant eat and is continuing to lose weight which is not a good thing. They are trying a new medication to curb the nausea. I really want to go to see her. She is in Boston, I am in Florida. The Doctor said absolutely not. She can only see her DH, son and my other sister. No one else.

Her son is going to set up a Zoom call tomorrow if she is up to it.  Best we can do at present.

@mamaofami, glad that at least Sam didn't hit his head.  Wishing you a routine day ASAP.

@cunnorl, how awful for your sister and that you can't be there.  I do wish you a great ZOOM meeting tomorrow.

Roy

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, POA1 said:

I was very excited to see a HAL ship in Port Everglades today when I braved the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show crowds to go to Publix.

"How excited?" you may ask.... Well, exited enough to be go through the trouble of opening a private browser window so I can post this. (My regular phone browser won't let me log out. And, when I try to post, it quotes the entire frigging thread.)

I've tried multiple browsers and all the tricks that I know. Nothing worked. Fortunately for me, I am tech savvy enough to know that it's not my fault.

I'll miss participating in sail aways. (Unless you count the cruise ship cocktails on the balcony. I'm totally doing that.)

Fall weather is finally upon us in South Florida. Have a glorious weekend all!

Can you enjoy even the late night departures from your balcony.  Sadly, I had to leave for my appointment today too soon to watch her come in.

Roy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

There was good and not so good news today but I'm fairly optimistic.  The Doctor is recommending a full course of radiation (I was hoping for something quick because things seem to be pretty minor) but it does not sound like the side effects will be too bad.  It would start the second week of November and continue through mid-December, 5 mornings a week.  The Doctor seemed pretty congenial (and he was mentored by the surgeon who removed my prostate) and they seem to be willing to work with me on scheduling.  There are a few things I will be doing to start getting ready but I remain pretty hopeful.

I was out of the office in time to get to our Mall for my morning walk before it opened  for customers.  It's a nasty day here (I was lucky to get from the car to the office and back without getting drenched) and I'll mostly be home hunkered down for most of the day.

Just got a message that there's a visit summary from the Doctor.

Roy

How many session will you have Roy?  20?

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

I'm sorry to hear you're not allowed to visit your DS.  But the idea of a zoom call sounds like it will work so you can see each other and talk a bit.  Prayers that she improves enough to eat with that new medication  for her nausea.

We did a FaceTime call so my son could speak to and see his godmother when she was in hospice this summer.  All were grateful for that opportunity.  

• Like 8