“Suite!” Just Retired to be a pirate at sea with Sea Dog and Polly The Pirate Semi Live Explorer Nov. 7th

Sea Dog

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

We stayed there a couple of years ago.  Great place.

Next time I get to Puerto Rico on a cruise, I'll have to take a ride there.  It's been 50 years since we were there;  happy to hear it's still there, and that you're saying it's still a great place!😉  Thank you, Bob.

• Like 2

I first have to apologize that it's taken me forever to post something. The Wi-Fi at Hotel CasaBlanca is very finicky. Been trying to connect for the last hour and half. Sorry! Back to regular scheduled programming.

• Like 1

Pirates Looking for Forts

653901519_CANNONSELMORO.thumb.jpeg.621b705ee628178fbb1a70cb25435e1b.jpeg

All good Pirates should know the enemy forts and how they can be attacked. We attacked by foot. First stop San Cristobal. Castillo San Cristóbal is a fortress in San Juan built by the Spanish to protect against land-based attacks on the city of San Juan. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3c93.thumb.jpg.fff505e7e586d704d16fa4c579426346.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3ca2.thumb.jpg.13fd1d6af9c0612e2b448e9bf9c07fde.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3ca9.thumb.jpg.2aca9b3a902cb1fb4bc904888ecf03c8.jpg

It never ceases to amaze me on how these forts were constructed. Also the living conditions the soldiers had to endure.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3cb7.thumb.jpg.b8641f08ca7eebf0550b9e9ea0a3fb05.jpg

We Pirates wanting to learn more about how to sneak up on a fortified fort, in this case Castillo San Felipe del Morro. We decided the best plan of attack was to Uber. A short $5.86 trip that took us 5 minutes saved the the 30 minute walk

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3ce3.thumb.jpg.606b60a7b379f3509acbee48e05a1a01.jpg

722389232_ELMOROMATERIAL.thumb.jpeg.90e6601e839de78b8c59afbd9344be4b.jpeg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d03.thumb.jpg.e4cc02c3629ebfd5075848343497e7de.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3cf7.thumb.jpg.0622dda478e5d356517bba7402f3c078.jpg

Let me say this. del Morro is not for anyone with bad knees. I struggled but made it ok. The stairs where the ramp was used by soldiers to push cannons up to the upper level was brutal. I can not imagine how hard it was to move those cannons up to the next level.

I took a ton of pictures. I do love these forts. I could of spent all day here. I'll post many pictures when I get back for some more in depth look into these amazing structures. 

Now I need to take a break. We Pirates have walked over 3 miles.

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 17

The Birthplace of the Pina Colada

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d06.thumb.jpg.f1e61ba77dfd64b8acfd03067e3cce40.jpg

Time for some cooling refreshments at Barrachina , the birthplace of the Pina Colada.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d05.thumb.jpg.b087dc3b259ec7ec3dbc2809510cf7f4.jpg

First let me say San Juan takes their health protocols very serious. Every restaurant or bar we went to required proof of vaccination. Here they even took your temperature and sprayed hand sanitizer.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d0e.thumb.jpg.4d15ba9ef3b6b55b203aa9525583fd8c.jpg

I call these the "magic machines." I don't know how they do it. but these Pina Colada's are to die for. I don't think they blend with ice. It's thick and smooth but doesn't taste like crushed ice. I am amazed. Here is the sweet elixir of life.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d12.thumb.jpg.0a738d516d5ec393ee93646366a08496.jpg

We did eat some appetizers and they were amazing. I had The Fried Plantains stuffed with Seafood.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d14.thumb.jpg.2883987e31fbf466c89035f884ad344f.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d17.thumb.jpg.8a6c2fb31dfb2fcafeea82fbecd3a5f0.jpg

Linda had the Puerto Rican Delights.  Assorted fried delicacies (turnovers, corn fritters and croquettes) and Jonathan in the background had the Fried Plaintains stuffed with Shrimp. WOW so good.

On our way back to the hotel we stopped at Umbrella Street.

1030962822_UMBRELLASTREET.thumb.jpeg.096ef9705d075dea43a3e1de535719f4.jpeg

And here. I forgot the official name but everyone calls it "Pigeon Park."

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d20.thumb.jpg.b0724a0b456fd44c5c6d08555d2aca8f.jpg

And yes this Sea Dog had to do it. It was really a lot of fun. And no I did not get pooped on.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d3f.thumb.jpg.c805771869794000b6395f9d5eed9ac0.jpg

That's it for now. Going to rest for a few minutes then off to dinner. You will probably think we are crazy going to this restaurant in San Juan.  More later.

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Let me say this. del Morro is not for anyone with bad knees.

Ain't that the truth!  I took several breaks on the way up the loooooooong staircase.  Brutal.  

But I totally agree on the marvel of how it was built and the living conditions.  Went there with my then-teenaged son, and I took the time to pull him aside to point those things out, things a teenager doesn't even contemplate.  Sewage running down a little channel right next to where you walk. Having to provision and cook for such large numbers. No air conditioning, windowless living quarters.  Gimme first world problems ANY day of the week, please!

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I first have to apologize that it's taken me forever to post something. The Wi-Fi at Hotel CasaBlanca is very finicky. Been trying to connect for the last hour and half. Sorry! Back to regular scheduled programming.

Makes sense. Isn't Casablanca a gathering place where spies,  refugees,  people trying to 'disappear ' and all sorts of clientele with shady pasts all come together?

Makes sense why they'd jam communications. 😁😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Tomorrow is Cruise Day

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3c82.thumb.jpg.9be7cf11cb7cc11d2ad4ba083e27ad69.jpg

You can see Explorer from our roof top of the hotel. filled out our health questionnaire. So here is another tease video to preview what we will be doing on Explorer of the Seas. The first Royal Caribbean ship to leave San Juan in over a year and a half.

ENJOY:

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 15

12 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Makes sense. Isn't Casablanca a gathering place where spies,  refugees,  people trying to 'disappear ' and all sorts of clientele with shady pasts all come together?

Makes sense why they'd jam communications. 😁😉

They finally told me the problem was on their end with power issues. I like your answer so I'm going with you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

:classic_biggrin:It never ceases to amaze me on how these forts were constructed. Also the living conditions the soldiers had to endure.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3cb7.thumb.jpg.b8641f08ca7eebf0550b9e9ea0a3fb05.jpg

When we went to San Cristobal, (and Fort Point in San Francisco) We were amazed at how much shorter people must have been back then. :classic_smile:  Or else their feet were hanging off the ends of the bunks. In any case, they look very uncomfortable. 

And last time we were there, admission to San Cristobal also included admission to El Morro on the same day. :classic_biggrin:

And I love the Pigeon Park! I always drag Bill there. And no. They don't poop where they eat. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I thought you pitched the vest?

Lol, Yes I did for my main photog vest. This is my other one a travel vest. Good for storing crap. Also covers my big fat belly.😝

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I love exploring forts and those two do not disappoint. I also visit the Barrachina every time I sm in San Juan.

I noticed that at Pigeon Park you were wearing a mask. Is that required outside?

it’s interesting that there is a mask mandate indoors and outdoors but it was about 60%-40% people wearing masks. I really was amazed at how many did wear masks. I probably could have ditched the mask. We came from the restaurant Barrachina and didn’t think about removing it. To me wearing a mask is no big deal.

2 hours ago, Coralc said:

When we went to San Cristobal, (and Fort Point in San Francisco) We were amazed at how much shorter people must have been back then. :classic_smile:  Or else their feet were hanging off the ends of the bunks. In any case, they look very uncomfortable. 

And last time we were there, admission to San Cristobal also included admission to El Morro on the same day. :classic_biggrin:

And I love the Pigeon Park! I always drag Bill there. And no. They don't poop where they eat. 

I don’t bought the same thing when I saw the beds. Man these soldiers were short.

and yes we paid for one admission that got us into both forts. Very nice.

loved pigeon park. It was really fun. Glad I got to do it. Those birds were hungry.

5 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I think he is a vest man, the vests lives forever.

Yeah I’m a sucker for pockets that you could put stuff in.

• Like 6

Ruth Chris are you serious?

A370369E-E73A-46B9-BB01-D440394C01EE.thumb.jpeg.f911db4d35e88f33877b52c34231cf2d.jpeg

Let me please explain. We love Ruth Chris. We had that restaurant in Kansas City for years until it closed 5 years ago.

We love their steaks because they are so consistent. Yes they are a chain restaurant but I’ve enjoyed every meal every time I’ve been there. Tonight was no exception.

Jonathan and I got the seared ahi tuni appetizer with my glass of Woodford Reserve Bourbon. Polly the Pirate approved.

5F492900-F320-46BF-9C5C-3F18C2A707E9.thumb.jpeg.b21840904f6c05c1cdf70b990d6489be.jpeg

than main was 8oz. Prime Filet, Garlic Mashed and Asparagus. Tasted fantastic. Polly the Pirate really appreciated.

CA2FD8CB-1901-4F53-A750-4BD77F5A7DB2.thumb.jpeg.72e96f860bfa7144473ab873f654cb1c.jpegC0B84CD2-C77A-430B-85B9-311685A4CA2D.thumb.jpeg.b3896403120b396c4ba0e1e412fc804d.jpeg

great dinner at the Ruth Chris at the Hotel Intercontinental at Isle Verde.

A71CA39E-9831-4864-9584-6A1DCB230D87.thumb.jpeg.5c0bda94a15b9331fc7962ae2d843788.jpeg

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 19

Count me in among those who thought Polly the Parrot was a nickname for your wife Linda, to go along with the Sea Dog moniker for you. 😂

While I am interested in visiting El Moro some day, my knees and hips most definitely are NOT! I think I’ll continue to listen to their recommendation.  😱 🏴‍☠️ 

Glad CC is working for me tonight. Last night I tried every trick I’ve heard on here to get on and stay on. Nothing worked. Tonight I came on to the same incognito tab I was on last night and everything is working perfectly. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I love exploring forts and those two do not disappoint. I also visit the Barrachina every time I sm in San Juan.

I noticed that at Pigeon Park you were wearing a mask. Is that required outside?

masks are not required outside unless you are unvaccinated and unable to social distance. 

https://www.discoverpuertorico.com/info/travel-guidelines

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Fantastic start Greg!  Those forts are a photographer's dream.  Great shots everywhere.  Interesting that the umbrella street was all the same.  Were they celebrating/recognizing something?  Here's what it was like last time we were there.

ABCIslands-13.thumb.jpg.92fd76958c17b2c4a82c85e97effc367.jpg

diabetes awareness month 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Is the "umbrella street" something new?

We were in OSJ in March 2017, no umbrella street then...😢

We have been there more then a few times and have never seen it before either. Not sure it could have been there all the time but we just never knew where it was 😞

• Thanks 1