First Neptune. Are we expected to tip the Lounge concierge(s)?

MogeyMan

Expected?  No. The first time we were in a Neptune Suite we did not use their services and I have no recollection of leaving a tip. The next cruise, however, they managed to break through barriers we could not. Those efforts earned tips and taught us their value.   Subsequent cruises, where they went above and beyond, also earned well-deserved tips. You will know it when you experience it and know how to respond. Have a wonderful time!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Tipping anywhere on HAL is never expected but always appreciated. Their service has always been excellent and they have always gone above and beyond to make our cruise special. They have also cut through red tape and turned several nos into yeses. We always leave a little something extra for them and they have always been very gracious when accepting. Entirely up to you as to what feels right. 

Edited by zgscl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only you can make that decision...if they enhanced your trip, then a tip would certainly be appreciated.

We've enjoyed one Neptune (thanks to a great upsell offer) and once I learned that they could do anything and everything Guest Services could do for me and MORE, I took advantage of their expertise. 

I think what truly impressed me was the fact that when I walked into the lounge on Day 1 for the very first time, I was greeted by name.  I don't know how they prepare, but bottom line was they knew who I was out of the gate.  No matter what my question or request, they handled it...and always with a smile.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Lucky enough to have had a NS several times and yes we have tipped the concierges for their wonderful service. They are just doing their job, but they make the cruise extra special. From greeting you by name from the first encounter to assisting in so many ways, they can be a lifesaver.

One instance-I had a freak mishap, the screw from my glasses fell out as I was leaning over the railing. The glasses flipped off my face and landed on the top of the lifeboat below. Our concierge dispatched a worker to get them, but he said he couldn’t find them. A little later in the cruise I again saw them on top of the lifeboat, mentioned it and when we got into port she sent someone out again who found them!

Another concierge discovered my fondness for the cinnamon roll from the Explorations Cafe (they only made a dozen each morning and they were hard to get). She took to fetching one herself when they first put them out. It would be waiting for me when I came in to the lounge for my coffee!

So tipping is not required, but if you get this kind of service, you will probably want to. 

St Louis Sal

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Lucky enough to have had a NS several times and yes we have tipped the concierges for their wonderful service. They are just doing their job, but they make the cruise extra special. From greeting you by name from the first encounter to assisting in so many ways, they can be a lifesaver.

One instance-I had a freak mishap, the screw from my glasses fell out as I was leaning over the railing. The glasses flipped off my face and landed on the top of the lifeboat below. Our concierge dispatched a worker to get them, but he said he couldn’t find them. A little later in the cruise I again saw them on top of the lifeboat, mentioned it and when we got into port she sent someone out again who found them!

Another concierge discovered my fondness for the cinnamon roll from the Explorations Cafe (they only made a dozen each morning and they were hard to get). She took to fetching one herself when they first put them out. It would be waiting for me when I came in to the lounge for my coffee!

So tipping is not required, but if you get this kind of service, you will probably want to. 

St Louis Sal

THOSE rolls. I’m not sure they still make them. If anyone wants it, I can post the recipe.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

If anyone wants it, I can post the recipe.

Yes, please 🙂

As for tipping the Neptune concierge, it is not expected.  I think once you have experienced their helpfulness, though, you will want to.  One concierge mentioned that the thank you notes they receive from guests help them earn extra time off in port.

• Like 2

We had our first Neptune Suite recently on the Eurodam.  Our concierge was wonderful!  Early in the cruise DH casually mentioned to him that our anniversary would be soon.  Unknown to us, he not only told the Tamarind (where we dined on our anniversary) and they presented us with a cake, but when we returned to our cabin we saw that he had let our cabin stewards in on the secret too.  The room was decorated with candles (battery operated), the heart shaped swan towel animals, and more.  He did other things during the cruise too, and always called to see if things had been done.  We mentioned him on the "let us know" on Navigator, and left a tip too. He was most appreciative.

• Like 1

I’m with the others that it’s not expected but you will most likely want to when you have the good service 😉 

Here’s my concierge story - When we were on the Rotterdam (old one) and arriving in Rotterdam we were going to take the high speed train to Paris.  I had arranged to have a piece of luggage shipped at a previous port to save schlepping luggage on the train and they wanted the luggage protected in cardboard.

So, I went to the concierge to request pieces of cardboard (I know HAL has lots and recycle it).  I had brought tape and figured I could make it.  She said she needed the dimensions.  I thought that was very strange but she was insistent so I said fine, measured the luggage and brought her the dimensions.

Two days later in my cabin was cardboard box perfectly made for my luggage with a spot for the luggage handle to fit through.  OMG.  Not expected, not asked for and so appreciated.

Yes, we did a LUK card and we certainly tipped.  That’s above and beyond IMO when all I asked for was pieces of cardboard.  The first time I went into the Neptune Lounge after it was delivered the concierge asked if it fit properly and if not, they would make a new one.  OMG.

• Like 11

I did not offer an additional gratuity.  I asked for no special service.  I appreciated the Neptune Lounge amenities, but, nothing that I experienced warranted a gratuity to either of the two friendly Concierges whom I encountered.  

• Like 1

We have been in a Neptune Suite twice in the past three months. The first cruise we hardly used it, maybe went twice, because we were too far away in an aft wrap around and didn’t tip. The second time we were practically across the hall and frequently went for various reasons. I found out almost too late that they had shrimp cocktail occasionally. The snacks and cheese were really good. They knew our names and one even remembered us from a cruise 11 years earlier. I know they study this beforehand but it is still very impressive. My DH’s jacket had a button falling off and it was repaired quickly and we were asked by the head concierge if it was fixed properly. I could go on and on. Absolutely wonderful service and we did tip based on our experience. 

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 5

22 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

The first cruise we hardly used it, maybe went twice, because we were too far away in an aft wrap around and didn’t tip. The second time we were practically across the hall and frequently went for various reasons. 

I think your observations are very much on the mark.  The relationship as to where your suite is located compared to the Neptune Lounge's location certainly influenced how I used the Neptune Lounge and the Concierges.  

One of the reasons that I think MSC's "ship within a ship" concept is so successful with their Yacht Club is that the area is compact, it's exclusive, and the amenities are easy to use.  

• Like 2

We have always  tipped the Neptune Lounge concierges at the end of the cruises because they have always provided excellent service while we have sailed with them. Only once we didn't because we had been stuck with a disappointing Guarantee Neptune way aft on Deck 4 so we hardly ever went to the Lounge. First and last time we would ever do a Guarantee Neptune Suite. The other six times we were close to the Lounge and used it every day.

10 minutes ago, Djptcp said:

The other six times we were close to the Lounge and used it every day.

Another post that shows the relationship of where one's Neptune Suite is as compared to the location of the Neptune Lounge is a factor in considering how valuable this category of stateroom ought to be to a cruiser.  

Thanks!! Our concierge has already proved his weight in gold, helping with a salon double billing, luggage direct (getting the airline to put our Precheck number on our flight boarding passes- I have no idea why it had gone missing), & more. Tipping well!!

11 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Another post that shows the relationship of where one's Neptune Suite is as compared to the location of the Neptune Lounge is a factor in considering how valuable this category of stateroom ought to be to a cruiser.  

We had a Spa Neptune (hated it) and I was in the lounge a total of twice.

• Thanks 1

On 11/8/2021 at 7:44 AM, Ferry_Watcher said:

Yes, please!

On 11/8/2021 at 8:01 AM, VennDiagram said:

Yes, please 🙂

As for tipping the Neptune concierge, it is not expected.  I think once you have experienced their helpfulness, though, you will want to.  One concierge mentioned that the thank you notes they receive from guests help them earn extra time off in port.

Will post it today when I fire up my computer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

We had a Spa Neptune (hated it) and I was in the lounge a total of twice.

Do you care to say why?  I never thought, from what I read about those spa Neptune suites, that they were worth whatever "upgrade" price that was wanted.  

One "feature" that I recall that was mentioned was a "water feature" in the suite.  If it worked as poorly as the water fixture in the Thermal Suites, there would be no such "water fixture".  

36 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Do you care to say why?  I never thought, from what I read about those spa Neptune suites, that they were worth whatever "upgrade" price that was wanted.  

Definitely not worth the money.  Tiny verandah, no dressing room, smaller bathroom, far from lounge, cabin attendants who don’t realize that Neptune Suites get added amenities (flowers, gala night chocolates, breakfast menu, etc).

• Thanks 1