The Daily for Friday November 19, 2021

richwmn

4 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Please say a prayer for us as we try to carry on.  There are good days and bad days.  We miss him terribly but know he is at peace.

Terri

Terri,

Please know that you, your entire family and of course Eugene will be in our thoughts and prayers.

As the mother of a develomentally and physicaly disabled "child", I applaud you for stepping up when his father passed.  What so many dont understand is we get so much more from them than we give. They teach you what is truly important  and dont sweat the small stuff.  Rest now in a job very well done. Find comfort in your wonderful memories.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I love bagpipes in a marching band, and find them quite soul-stirring when listening to a lone piper.  I never liked playing Monopoly, because I always ran out of money before everyone else!  Yay for women entrepreneurs; there are more and more every day.

We haven't been to Saint John, but it's on our list - it would be nice to see the area that is so near and dear to @kazu's heart.

While we were just kicking around the house yesterday afternoon, the doorbell rang - there was an older couple from down the street with a plate of fresh baked cookies.  They said they hadn't been out in such a long time, that now they've had their boosters, they felt a little braver and ventured out.  We invited them in and had a lovely visit, hearing all about their family's events, and catching up on neighbourhood happenings.  I can't recall the last time someone just came to the door like that; it was refreshing, a real throw-back to the days when friends would just drop in unannounced and you'd put on the coffee.  Miss those days.

I like today's menu suggestion, but will put it away for another day.  It's Friday night pizza night at our house, so we'll take a look at the online menus to see what appeals to us.  Whatever it is, I'm sure there will be enough for the 2 of us, plus a snack for DH late in the night.  And wine.

@Horizon chaser 1957sending prayers and good wishes for your return trip today; please keep us apprised of your progress.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Celebrating the happy list by clinking our glasses together tonight.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands, wear your masks.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Hi Gerry,

I thought of you yesterday as we met a younger man who is cruising with his disabled father from Manitoba, somewhere North of Winnipeg. He showed pics of the snow they received before leaving last week for Ft Lauderdale. His first cruise, and he seems to be in love with it.  They are the only Canadians onboard that we have met. Very unusual, as Canadians make up a large percentage of HAL cruisers normally. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. I won't be blowing bagpipes. Haven't played Monopoly in years. A salute to Women Entrepreneurs.

Good quote.

The meal sounds interesting, especially the sheet pan version. I like the drink and wine.

I haven't been to today's destination. I'm embarrassed to say I haven't seen much of Canada. Thanks for the pictures.

I had a Rheumatology appointment this AM. All was ok; I'll continue low dose steroids for my eyes since they've been pretty quiet.

Had a call from the CDC VSafe people, regarding the post-vaccine symptoms I mentioned. I told them it was just routine vaccine stuff and I didn't need to fill out extended paperwork.

@grapau27 A happy heavenly birthday to your Dad.

@rafinmd I know it must be great to be back at home.

@Horizon chaser 1957 Prayers for safe travels. It sounds like a challenging return home.

@Cruzin Terri Welcome back to the Daily. My condolences on the loss of your BIL Such difficult circumstances, not being able to visit him. Prayers to you, DH and the entire family.

@Overhead Fred Safe travels and Bon Voyage!

@StLouisCruisers Praying all come back good from your Derm visit. I was asking the Rheum doc this morning about a great Dermatologist I had seen in the past, only to find out she retired last year. So I need to find someone again.

Prayers for the care list and a toast to the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone and wear your mask.

Thank you Vanessa.

Graham.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Here's my report on our dermatologist visits.  The spot on lower back is like I thought, a "barnacle" from ageing.  There were several pre-cancerous spots on each of us that needed the freezing with liquid nitrogen treatment.  I had a punch biopsy done on a tiny rough spot on my forehead near the hairline.  It is very close to a previous Mohs surgery at the hairline of a basal cell cancer.  Doctor will let me know what the biopsy comes back as and whether or not I need the Mohs surgery there.  I'm confident all will be well eventually.🙂

Sorry to hear both you and your husband's dermatologist visit resulted in pre cancer finds Sandi.

Fortunately they have been erased.

Sending prayers that your biopsy is clear.

Best wishes to you both.

Graham.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon on this somewhat cloudy Friday afternoon!  Glad to see that Roy is home and can recuperate in the peace that is never around in a hospital!

Last spring I kept my two great grandchildren for two nights.  We played Monopoly till all three of us were sick of it!  My strategy is always just buy Railroads and Utilities!  Usually is a good plan till great Grandson decided he wanted to be the Hilton Hotel chain!  OOPS!

Yesterday afternoon I booked a Canada/New England HAL to Fort Lauderdale for October, 2023.  Thought I would get to Saint John, but not on that particular itinerary.  At least I will get to visit PEI, and Nova Scotia.  I missed them on my last HAL cruise because I was fighting an ear problem (from flying) so stayed on the ship for those ports!  @ger_77, since the Roll Call is rather inactive for the January Panama Canal cruise, maybe we can figure out a time to meet?  I am starting to think about shore excursions now since I paid it in full yesterday!

@Cruzin Terri, my condolences on the loss of your BIL.  It is so sad how COVID has affected so many lives in ways we never imagined when this whole pandemic started.  

@StLouisCruisershope all with the dermatologist works out without more MOHS surgery.  Glad you were able to both have a thorough checkup.   I am dreading my appointment before Christmas as I think I may be in for more MOHS in one particular area!

Going to step-daughter's for dinner and movie night.  Guess the latest 007 movie is on the agenda.  Have a great rest of the day everyone!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Checking in for the afternoon on a quiet Friday.  

@Cruzin Terrihow heartbreaking for you to lose your DBIL.  You can be sure he knew just how much he was loved through your care.  Please accept my condolences on this big loss for you and your DH.  

@St Pete Cruiserhe didn't mention that he knew me, did he? LOL   I'm betting the fellow and his dad were pretty happy to have escaped the snow to enjoy the sun, sea and sand.

It's looking like Wine:30 on the clock, so I'd better find our glasses.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 14
  • Haha 2

I’ve been in CC jail since I posted this morning. I tried doing everything I know to do. I do know I forgot to log out last night so that might have something to do with it so I just kept trying and finally got on just now using Chrome. 

Our boosters went good and really fast. The Pharmacist giving the injection said he had to just to keep up. Shopping is done and put away. Now to start cooking for Thanksgiving. I like to do most sides in advance. 

Another random thing—I booked Christmas Eve at the Canaletto and New Year’s Eve at the Pinnacle. Both looked wonderful. Crazy but we’ve never eaten at Canaletto and we are crazy for Italian food. I think we always thought it wouldn’t stand up to our Italian food memories.  The Pinnacle dinner is a preset menu. There wasn’t a sample but I’m sure it’ll be good. I was able to get the time I wanted for Canaletto but not for the Pinnacle Grill. So even though we eat later, usually 8:00 pm, our reservation is at 8:45 pm. I guess that’s okay since it’s New Year’s Eve. 

• Like 18

4 hours ago, NextOne said:

Good afternoon, Daily friends! I'm tired today because I got up at 3:30 am to watch the lunar eclipse. Stayed up until the moon was totally pink ( a little after 4) then went back to bed. The cats thought I was nuts!

I had an early start to my day's activities -- a trip to the Ford dealership where my late DH used to work to get my SUV's brakes fixed. I had to wait a week for them to get the part, and I was nervous the whole time -- the brakes just didn't feel right. But now they're good! His friends there take good care of my car.

It's cold and blustery here today - I liked it better on Thursday when the temp hit 70 degrees! But now it feels like Thanksgiving!

Prayers for all who need them, and cheers to all who are celebrating! A special welcome home for @rafinmdRoy! @Cruzin Terri, Terri, I'm sorry for your loss. It's hard, I know. @Horizon chasersafe travels home!

Edi

I’m surprised that the cats didn’t demand an early breakfast! Mine would😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Had my hospital treatment of the kidney stone this morning.  Didn't see the procedure as I was asleep during it.  It was successful and I have no pain in that area now.  They inserted a stent and a laser to break up the stone.  Guess it is an alternative to using sound.  The stent will be removed next week.  Anyway, I can be removed from the care list.  Thank you all for your concern and good thoughts.  We went from that hospital to the Navy hospital to pick up my prescriptions and then home for lunch.  I should be able to drive by tomorrow.

Ray

• Like 27

7 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Hi everyone,

I’m back but can’t promise I’ll be here everyday.

I kind of dropped off the face of the earth and here without notice.  We had a rough time of it this summer.

My BIL, whom many of you know, was developmentally disabled, became ill  during the summer and after a stint in the hospital, went to a skilled nursing facility,.

We thought it would be for rehab, but turned out that he could not recover from the pneumonia and the myriad of other conditions he had.

He passed away on October 6.

We were his caregivers for over 40 years—from the time my husband’s father died.  

It has been a rough time.  

During the time he was in the SNF there were two lockdowns due to COVID and we were unable to visit.  He could not understand this. All we could do was wave through the window. Since we were not there to encourage him to participate in therapy and with his limited cognitive ability, things went downhill fast.

Try as we could, we could not get him on the road to recovery.  DH has had a hard time with this.  

So that is where I have been for the last few months.  

Trying to put our lives together after the loss of our sweet Eugene.  

Please say a prayer for us as we try to carry on.  There are good days and bad days.  We miss him terribly but know he is at peace.

Terri

Sending condolences.  May your memories keep Eugene close in your heart.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Had my hospital treatment of the kidney stone this morning.  Didn't see the procedure as I was asleep during it.  It was successful and I have no pain in that area now.  They inserted a stent and a laser to break up the stone.  Guess it is an alternative to using sound.  The stent will be removed next week.  Anyway, I can be removed from the care list.  Thank you all for your concern and good thoughts.  We went from that hospital to the Navy hospital to pick up my prescriptions and then home for lunch.  I should be able to drive by tomorrow.

Ray

Awesome!

Roy

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

Good news that it went well and you're feeling good!

• Like 9

9 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  I love the sound of bagpipes.  Loved to play Monopoly but the rest of the family didn't.  I totally agree with the London quote.  The meal sounds and looks fantastic.  Will print this out for the future.  We've been to Saint John New Brunswick.  Got there on Canada day and our hotel room faced the Bay of Fundy.  Got to sit in the room and watch the fireworks.  Sadly, no photo's.  Roy, please don't overdo things.  Take it easy.  @Horizon chaser 1957safe travels home.  I hope the trip home goes smoothly. 

Prayers and toasts to our lists.  Major prayers for all those in flood danger.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Ti' Punch:

The national cocktail of Martinique is as easy to make as it is to drink, using just three ingredients, including the island’s native spirit, rhum agricole.
Ingredients
1 lime wheel
2 ounces rhum agricole
1 teaspoon sugar cane syrup
Steps
Squeeze a lime wheel into a chilled rocks glass. Add the rhum agricole and sugar cane syrup, and top with ice if desired.

Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 8.50.13 AM.png

A bit sweet!

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

I am so glad things went well.Take it easy tonight.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

Very good news indeed!

• Like 6

6 hours ago, CrabbyPatti said:

Good Morning Dailyites!

Have been stopping in and reading, but not posting.  Things have been busy here!

@Cruzin Terri My condolences with the loss of your BIL. 

@Horizon chaser 1957  I hope things are not to soggy when you get home.  Western Washington has had some flooding also, and have some friends who are working through the mess.  Here in Eastern Washington, I can't believe the amount of rain we have had in the past week.  Today my dog was quite wet when she came in..........she is not understanding why she has to dry in her crate!

Hubby had a friends ask us when our next cruise was yesterday................well our cruise money went to give each of us a new dental crown.  2 in one week was a bit spendy!  I have sworn off ever eating popcorn again!  Bit down on a corn kernal and tooth broke....................I had just had a dental check up two weeks ago and all was good.  Dentist said it was just bad luck!

Wishing all who are ill, or hurting speedy healing!  Take care and stay dry out there!

Denise

That’s exactly how I “earned” my crown.  Smartfood it ain’t!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

@Cruzin TerriI am sorry to hear of your loss.  May your memories of Eugene keep him alive in your hearts.

@USN59-79 Hsppy to hear the procedure went well and you are pain free.

My power went out this afternoon and with it the heat.  Space heaters are no help without power, so I am sitting at the Starbucks inside Target.  Fun, fun, fun.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the Daily reports, and thanks to @richwmn for mentioning a New Zealand wine.

Have not been to today's port, thanks for the photos, looks to be a lovely place to visit.

@Cruzin TerriCondolences on the loss of your BIL, covid has caused so much grief around the world.

@USN59-79you will be so pleased and relieved that the kidney stone has been removed.

@dfish hope your power will be quickly restored.

Again a  BIG Thank you to @kazu for posting Multi Quote instructions yesterday, I am sure everyone appreciates the information.   

Unfortunately it was cloudy last night so we were unable to see the Lunar Eclipse.  Still cloudy,

temperature 16 C.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 14

13 minutes ago, dfish said:

My power went out this afternoon and with it the heat.  Space heaters are no help without power, so I am sitting at the Starbucks inside Target.  Fun, fun, fun.

Oh no. I've had this happen occasionally. The only thing that saved me was my gas fireplace that I could sit in front of until the power came back on. I hope it's not too long for you!

• Like 8

4 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Rainbow from Nieuw Amsterdam enroute from Half Moon Cay to Ft Lauderdale.

20211119_143748.jpg

20211119_143835.jpg

20211119_154823.jpg

gorgeous.  Wish we were on the BHB with you.

2 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

Excellent to hear.  Happy to move you from the Care list to the Celebartions list 😉 

31 minutes ago, dfish said:

Ugh.  I hate those times.  During our ice storm we lost power for nearly 7 days.  They turned it on intermittently for 2 hours every day but that didn’t warm up the house fast enough nor save the fridge and freezer.

We got a generator a couple of years ago and it is a god send.  It doesn’t turn on the heat (those are huge for a house like ours) but I have outlets I can plug in the space heaters to.  The fridges and freezer are safe, the water runs (we are on a well so when the power goes out we lose our pump), internet, tv, etc work and certain lights work.  Works good  enough for me 😉   No more filling the bathtub in case we lose power to flush the toilets 👍 

• Like 19

Thank you all for the lovely expressions of condolences.  I wil try to post as often as I can.  We plan a very quiet Thanksgiving as we have no other family

After that we are going on, what we feel, a very well deserved cruise on the Riviera for 10 days.

We both need a good rest.

’I will try to stay active.

God bless you all.

• Like 16

20 minutes ago, kazu said:

Ugh.  I hate those times.  During our ice storm we lost power for nearly 7 days.  They turned it on intermittently for 2 hours every day but that didn’t warm up the house fast enough nor save the fridge and freezer.

We got a generator a couple of years ago and it is a god send.  It doesn’t turn on the heat (those are huge for a house like ours) but I have outlets I can plug in the space heaters to.  The fridges and freezer are safe, the water runs (we are on a well so when the power goes out we lose our pump), internet, tv, etc work and certain lights work.  Works good  enough for me 😉   No more filling the bathtub in case we lose power to flush the toilets 👍 

I told my sister we are getting a generator for our retirement home.  We’re getting too old for this.  Besides, this is boring with a capital B.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

Good to know it all went well. Take it easy for a bit. 

1 hour ago, dfish said:

@Cruzin TerriI am sorry to hear of your loss.  May your memories of Eugene keep him alive in your hearts.

@USN59-79 Hsppy to hear the procedure went well and you are pain free.

Debbie I hope you have power soon. 

52 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Thanks for all the Daily reports, and thanks to @richwmn for mentioning a New Zealand wine.

Have not been to today's port, thanks for the photos, looks to be a lovely place to visit.

@Cruzin TerriCondolences on the loss of your BIL, covid has caused so much grief around the world.

@USN59-79you will be so pleased and relieved that the kidney stone has been removed.

@dfish hope your power will be quickly restored.

Again a  BIG Thank you to @kazu for posting Multi Quote instructions yesterday, I am sure everyone appreciates the information.   

Unfortunately it was cloudy last night so we were unable to see the Lunar Eclipse.  Still cloudy,

temperature 16 C.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

Yes, testing multi quotes right. Hopefully it works, I just can’t snip the quotes like I would prefer. Thank you Jacqui!

6 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Thank you all for the lovely expressions of condolences.  I wil try to post as often as I can.  We plan a very quiet Thanksgiving as we have no other family

After that we are going on, what we feel, a very well deserved cruise on the Riviera for 10 days.

We both need a good rest.

’I will try to stay active.

God bless you all.

Terri, take care. Enjoy your upcoming cruise!  

• Like 8