The Daily for Monday December 06, 2021

richwmn

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily and all who contribute.

Good bartenders are appreciated everywhere. I wished my German descent BFF Happy St. Nicholas Day today, and asked if he'd put out his shoes to get small gifts 🙂. Mitten trees are a good thing.

Can't like the quote; it's cynical and sad, although I suppose aiming to be funny.

The meal sounds ok, but no turkey for a little while. The drink sounds interesting. I like the wine too.

I haven't been to Japan. Thanks for the pictures @tjcox9

It's a soggy, rainy day here, with an expected big temperature drop during the day from the 50's to the 20's, with a wind chill. I was going to run to the grocery store as I need one ingredient for tonight's dinner, but I think I'll just substitute it. I will try to get a little interior Christmas decorating done.

@dfish What shocking, sad news. Prayers for your cousin and the whole family on the loss of her DGS. 

@Crazy For Cats Congrats on the upgrade and enjoy the cruise!

@smitty34877 Safe travels and prayers for Tana. I hope the tests can help with a treatment plan.

@Cat in my lap Happy Birthday!  🎂

Prayers for the Care list and cheers for the Celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

I am leaving for the big city soon to bring Tana for 2 different tests. it is rainy but hospitalizations  and COVID case numbers are up and the various hospitals have not allowed waiting inside . Tana is able to walk short distances with her portable oxygen by herself  which is an improvement.

Safe travels, Terry!  Good luck with Tana’s tests and may her improvement continue 🙏🏻 

3 hours ago, Cat in my lap said:

Thanks for info!  
Today is my birthday- so we have been celebrating!  

Happy Birthday, Jake!

8E423AEA-E224-4401-90D6-A25A1F369516.jpeg.b8533403137fbc522870f64e3509e082.jpeg

3 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

The upgrade charge was $160 for both of us.  That was hard to pass by.  Hopefully we get the correct results from the test.

Now that is a SWEET (suite 😉 ) deal.  Good for you for snatching it up 👍 

Hopefully you fail your tests 😉 🤞 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. The quote may have applied to me in middle school but not later. Not a fan of Richard Lewis. His humor was too gloomy. We have had enough turkey for a while but the recipe sounds good so I will file one for another day. It’s a pass on the drink but I do like Malbec. Have not been anywhere in Japan so pictures will have to do. Thanks to those posting them. @dfish what a terribly sad thing to happen to your cousin and her DGS. @Cat in my lap Happy Birthday. I think I got hit with the CC gremlin. I haven’t been able to post even though I am signed in. Cleared my history and cookies and signed in again and it worked. I do read every day. With our first cruise on a BHB not until next October I wonder how far out will I be able to make dining reservations or ship excursions? I downloaded the Navigator app. It took over a week for our booking to show on it. I booked with Costco. 
 I am glad to come here and read about all who have or are looking forward to upcoming cruises. Gives me hope we might actually make ours happen!  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Good morning and thanks all! 
oh Debbie,  I am So sorry, how tragic for your cousin!  
@Crazy For Cats enjoy! 
I thought we’d recently had Sakaiminato, but I may be mistaken.  We had it substituted close to departure, and it was great! Access to one of the top Michelin starred gardens nearby and the Black Matsue Castle as well as the interesting port itself!  

96B596C3-9509-45CD-8220-A41D66C354DE.jpeg

C7AAEE77-9DC9-45CE-BEA6-134537C736BC.jpeg

B074DD9E-6B14-4313-AF11-8427622C8BD5.jpeg

C55DAE92-F13A-4E90-9E68-E79BB772A0B8.jpeg

66384C2B-C87B-4335-B22A-9A189C51FF37.jpeg

F0788CD9-287D-4455-AD3F-85390D3DC92A.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

@bennybearthank you for your photos too.  I love gardens and the Japanese ones are so meticulous.

Unfortunately, I have heard from Jean, John's wife and she said he passed away Saturday morning.  He is now free of pain and abounding in peace and joy.  If you will just say a prayer for his soul, he can now be removed from the prayer list at that point, @rafinmd.  Thanks to all.

Now, I'm just hoping not to receive more bad news this week.  DMIL has not been waking to eat or drink lately.  This can't go on forever.  She has been in hospice care for a long time now, so we won't be doing any extraordinary measures to keep her here on earth.  Her quality of life hasn't been very good for many months now.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 13

Another day for educating myself.  As is obvious to you who have read my postings for awhile I was raised in a Protestant church and know next to nothing about the Catholic church. I hadto google St. Nicholas Day and I learned that he is the model on which our Santa Claus is based. I also had to google Mitten tree Day as I don't ever recall anyone wearing mittens after they entered Kindergarten. I also googled touques and confirmed thet they are the type of hats that were called beenies when I was a youngster.

I have not been to todays port and am certainly enjoying the photos. The meal of the day looks good and I will probably make a cassarole out of my Thanks fiving leftovers sometime this week.

@dfishMy condolences to your family. It is always a trajedy when someone so young is taken from us. I pray that your cousin can take some comfort in knowing that God wanted the child to be with him.

Jane

Edited by lazey1
  • Like 17

7 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Unfortunately, I have heard from Jean, John's wife and she said he passed away Saturday morning.  He is now free of pain and abounding in peace and joy.  If you will just say a prayer for his soul, he can now be removed from the prayer list at that point, @rafinmd.  Thanks to all.

While the end is always sad, under the circumstances this may be as much a blessing as anything else.

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning everyone and Happy Monday!  

Debbie @dfish I am so sorry for your cousin and the loss of her grandson. What a tragic situation. Prayers for your family. 

@Cat in my lap Happy Birthday!  Enjoy your special day! 🧁🎈🎉

@rafinmd Roy, Linda @lindaleris still on the Rotterdam and will be on B2B cruises until January (I think the 2nd). I will see her when we board on the 22nd. 

It’s a chilly morning here in the high desert and according to the forecast it is going to get even colder later in the week.  Today I need to schedule our covid tests for 2 weeks from today for our cruise. I wasn’t able to get much done last night because the HAL website bookings were down. I’ve been trying to get DH’s Navigator app to sync. At first the app said he was on a cruise in Mexico, then I logged him out and back in, but just like the website it’s not showing bookings or history. 

Jake, @Crazy For Cats congratulations on your upsell and you will have to let us know if it’s similar to a HAL Penthouse/Pinnacle suite. 

Thank you for pictures of today’s port @tjcox9!

I used to like Richard Lewis. In the late 80’s he had a TV series with Jamie Lee Curtis that I liked. But, as someone else said, he has gotten too cynical and his quote today shows that. 

Have a great day everyone!

I know that they have higher categories than penthouse suite.  I am curious what it will be like. 

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sandi, saying prayers for John's soul and prayers for strength for Jean.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Now, I'm just hoping not to receive more bad news this week.  DMIL has not been waking to eat or drink lately.  This can't go on forever.  She has been in hospice care for a long time now, so we won't be doing any extraordinary measures to keep her here on earth.  Her quality of life hasn't been very good for many months now.

Prayers for John's soul and God grant him eternal rest. Also for your DMIL.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I know that they have higher categories than penthouse suite.  I am curious what it will be like. 

Oh, sorry!  I didn’t realize you were sailing on another line.  May I ask which one?  Hoping you post pics and comments!

29 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I am very sorry to hear of your sad news.

5 hours ago, aliaschief said:

It’s bag drag day. Up a three, son drove us to San Francisco Airport and we are in Delta Crown room awaiting to board our flight home.

Great time but time to get home and get ready for the holidays.

Thanks for the report.

Have a safe trip home!

Since so many of you know who Richard Lewis is, I had to google his name.  I do recognize his picture but I don’t know any of his work.

I absolutely love the garden pics of today’s destination!  Thank you, @tjcox9 and @bennybear!  I couldn’t like the anime pics, though, because they kind of freak me out, really.  😂

• Like 14

@JazzyV @bennybear @nancynana9950 @lazey1  Thank you to all of  you for your kind words.  My cousin is home from the hospital and now begins the journey of learning to live with her loss.  

Good news:  Tim stopped by to reattach the gutter and was able to do so without further mishap.  I told him he was not responsible and I was as the homeowner, but he said he wanted to do it.  He is walking just fine and says the only thing left is getting the stitches out when it is time.  

@StLouisCruisers my sincere condolences on John's death and may Jean find strength in her memories of him.   Also, prayers for your DMIL.  May her journey be peaceful.   

@Cat in my lap  Happy Birthday!

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.90e54dc9b6cfc65855ae5d1bd2ace40b.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, nancynana9950 said:

With our first cruise on a BHB not until next October I wonder how far out will I be able to make dining reservations or ship excursions?

On the HAL Website, I have been able to reserve shore excursions within an hour of booking the cruise. Once you can access your cruise through "Already Booked"/" Manage My Bookings" the excursions will be shown. Last week I made reservations for January 2023. All other items - except dining - were available for booking then too. Dining reservations aren't normally available until about 4 months before sailing.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Oh, sorry!  I didn’t realize you were sailing on another line.  May I ask which one?  Hoping you post pics and comments!

I am very sorry to hear of your sad news.

Have a safe trip home!

Since so many of you know who Richard Lewis is, I had to google his name.  I do recognize his picture but I don’t know any of his work.

I absolutely love the garden pics of today’s destination!  Thank you, @tjcox9 and @bennybear!  I couldn’t like the anime pics, though, because they kind of freak me out, really.  😂

Assuming the results of our tests are in our favor we are sailing on NCL’s Dawn 12/8.  This is our first cruise that isn’t with HAL.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.

It looks like it will be a gloomy day here with rain and falling temperatures.  

Please include my cousin and her family in your prayers.  She had an automobile accident on Saturday and her 10 year old grandson was killed.  From what I can piece together it looks like she was probably at fault for the accident.  That is a hard burden to bear and she has been very fragile where mental health is concerned for most of her life.  

Today's meal is a good way to use up that leftover turkey in the freezer.  There are many different varieties of turkey casserole, so just choose one that suites your preferences.   This one can be made in advance and then frozen until you're ready to eat it.  https://dinnerthendessert.com/leftover-turkey-casserole/

1125623603_Turkeycasserole.thumb.jpg.ed3c1bd07f9486f13fe3dbb6db8e25d4.jpg

This one is a creamy casserole.   You can add in any vegetables you like or take out the ones you don't like.  Is the turkey all gone?  You can substitute chicken or even sliced smoked sausage.  https://www.spendwithpennies.com/creamy-turkey-casserole/

Turkey-Casserole-SpendWithPennies-9.thumb.jpg.94e10b4c22584c8f6d2c92ce11f542ad.jpg

And who can resist Aunt Bee's recipe?   https://www.theseasonedmom.com/aunt-bees-leftover-turkey-casserole/

1523885347_TurkeyCasserole3.thumb.jpg.804171e52c93b54ed04d323dfbdfe51d.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day.

They all look good to me!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, aliaschief said:

It’s bag drag day. Up a three, son drove us to San Francisco Airport and we are in Delta Crown room awaiting to board our flight home.

Great time but time to get home and get ready for the holidays.

Thanks for the report.

Hope it was a good flight home!

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@bennybearthank you for your photos too.  I love gardens and the Japanese ones are so meticulous.

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend John passing away.

Sending our prayers 🙏 and condolences to you and all his friends and family.

I am also sorry to hear about your DMIL.

Graham.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good Monday morning.  REALLY foggy here this morning.  We always had a mitten tree at our school. It usually emptied after the first day.  The children were so happy to get new mittens.  I don't care for the quote.  Have not been to today's port.  As always will look forward to the photo's.  The meal looks wonderful, thanks @dfish.  Prayers for your family too.  @Crazy For Catsgreat upgrade.  @kazuyour meme's this morning made me laugh out loud.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.  Happy more of us are going on a cruise.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Brunch Monkey:

2 oz. Patron XO Cafe
2 oz. Hot Water
2 oz. Heavy cream, thickened
Coffee beans for garnish.
Method
Pour Patrón XO Cafe and hot water into a warmed coupe or Irish coffee glass.
Gently float thickened cream over the surface of the drink.
Garnish with coffee beans.

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 7.17.48 AM.png

Sounds good on a cold day.

• Like 5

Oh shoot!  I knew there was something I forgot!  Happy Birthday to @Cat in my lap!  It sounds like you are enjoying a wonderful day.

I am just back from the Apple store where I purchased a replacement keyboard for my iPad.  The other one was driving me absolutely crazy because it had decided to work part-time.  Boy, have prices gone up; I had to look the other way.  Happy to report that the new one’s working great!

Extra hugs for @dfish.  ❤️

4 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Today I need to schedule our covid tests for 2 weeks from today for our cruise. 

We are booked at CVS on Friday but I will be nervous about it until it actually happens.  They canceled our appointments out of the blue in October so I don’t yet fully trust them.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

What a wonderful collection of days. I do not agree the quote at all. I like the meal, but eating on the road this rainy, gloomy day. My daughter tells me central Florida is sunny.

We had a nice visit with DMIL's cousin in Marietta, got through Atlanta and then stopped to eat in McDonough. On the road with an ETA of 9:45 tonight.

@dfish Debbie I am so sorry to hear about your cousin's accident and her grandson. My condolences and prayers for all. May everyone find comfort that he is spending eternity with our Lord and Savior.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, prayers being sent for John's soul, comfort and peace for Jean and family. Also for your DMIL.

@Cat in my lapHappy Birthday!🎉🎂🥳

@smitty34877I hope you and Tana are having a good day. 

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Assuming the results of our tests are in our favor we are sailing on NCL’s Dawn 12/8.  This is our first cruise that isn’t with HAL.  

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.  I think sailing mask-free, for me, at this time, would make me too nervous but at least it’s a fully-vaccinated cruise and requires pre-embarkation testing.  Have a wonderful time!

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 13