Cruise from Canada for Alaska (as Americans) risky?

J0Y0US

Just wondering people's thoughts.

We were looking at trying RCL for a Alaska cruise this summer. The issue is the cruise we would likely take is going out of Victoria which has me a little worried regarding all their rules.

We are 2 Adults and 2 Kids (3 + 4)

Anyone else out there planning on cruising from Victoria this summer and done the research on the logistics? Or should we simply just cross it off the list and look at Seattle or possibly a Caribbean cruise instead?

There arent any cruises out of Victoria. Maybe, you meant Vancouver?  Last year, there werent any cruises out of Vancouver due to the cruise ship ban.  This year Canada is expected to be open to cruise ships.   Canada does have more restrictions than the US on traveling.  For example, you have to be vaccinated to fly in Canada.   Who knows what the rules will be this summer for here or there.  If you really are concerned, cruise roundtrip out of Seattle.  Those cruises went in July forward.  We ended up doing a land trip to Alaska last summer after our cruise from Seward to Vancouver was cancelled.  We loved Alaska and highly recommend visiting.  So, check out the Ovation or Quantum.

Edited by Crazy planning mom

21 minutes ago, J0Y0US said:

Or should we simply just cross it off the list and look at Seattle or possibly a Caribbean cruise instead?

D) None of the above - with kids that age in the COVID era, choose another vacation type.

• Thanks 1

There are some private grumblings that Canada will reenter lockdows again. I would hold off on booking anything from Canada. Actually, I'd hold off until the end of January and see how this omicron shapes out. We should have a good idea once numbers come in next Monday from this week. I don't expect them to be good. 

21 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

There are some private grumblings that Canada will reenter lockdows again. I would hold off on booking anything from Canada. Actually, I'd hold off until the end of January and see how this omicron shapes out. We should have a good idea once numbers come in next Monday from this week. I don't expect them to be good. 

Some provinces are already instilling restrictions, being announced today.  As of now the federal government has not approved cruises into or out of Canada for 2022.  This has been in effect since March of 2019. They also highly recommend against cruises for a vacation at this point in time. I personally don’t see this Canadian restriction being lifted anytime soon, unless Covid up and disappears or significantly changes.

To the OP, I would strongly recommend not booking anything from Canada for 2022, unless you aren’t concerned about having the booking cancelled. 2023 might be a better option. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Some provinces are already instilling restrictions, being announced today.  As of now the federal government has not approved cruises into or out of Canada for 2022.  This has been in effect since March of 2019. They also highly recommend against cruises for a vacation at this point in time. I personally don’t see this Canadian restriction being lifted anytime soon, unless Covid up and disappears or significantly changes.

To the OP, I would strongly recommend not booking anything from Canada for 2022, unless you aren’t concerned about having the booking cancelled. 2023 might be a better option. 

We booked Alaska roundtrip out of Vancouver for Sept 2022 quite a long time ago...we'll see.

• Like 1

Just now, Ashland said:

We booked Alaska roundtrip out of Vancouver for Sept 2022 quite a long time ago...we'll see.

I am with you, Ashland.  We booked Alaska roundtrip out of Vancouver for June 2022 many months ago.  I remain hopeful that we all will be able to sail. 

• Like 1

We've had a cruise from Vancouver booked since the fall of 2019 for a cruise date of June 2020 to celebrate youngest's son's high school graduation. That one got Covid-ed out and rescheduled to June 2021, which got Canada's-closed-out and rescheduled again for June of this summer. Now it will be to celebrate his completion of sophomore year of college.  😄  I hope we'll finally get to go, but I'm not betting on it unless things improve drastically and soon.  We got a prized aft-balcony on Serenade (which we cruised in 2016 out of Copenhagen and loved) so I'm holding out for it.

Edited by Kellie in Texas
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

We are booked to sail to Hawaii out of Vancouver in Oct. 2022.  If Canada continues with the cruising ban, do people think that RCI will sail out of Seattle instead of cancelling?  (Fingers crossed that that is their plan B.) 

43 minutes ago, screwsmcernst said:

We are booked to sail to Hawaii out of Vancouver in Oct. 2022.  If Canada continues with the cruising ban, do people think that RCI will sail out of Seattle instead of cancelling?  (Fingers crossed that that is their plan B.) 

Is it a one way to Hawaii?  If so, then it won't happen due to the PVSA, which precludes a foreign flag cruise ship departing in one US port and ending in another US port, unless the voyage includes a "distant" foreign port (any port outside of North and Central America, the Caribbean, Bahamas, and Bermuda).  I suspect it is a one way, since those are the cruises that start in Vancouver, for just this reason.

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

1 hour ago, Italy52 said:

I am with you, Ashland.  We booked Alaska roundtrip out of Vancouver for June 2022 many months ago.  I remain hopeful that we all will be able to sail. 

I truthfully hope it goes through for both of you, because that means Canada has returned to living VS what we have been doing for almost 2 years. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

Is it a one way to Hawaii?  If so, then it won't happen due to the PVSA, which precludes a foreign flag cruise ship departing in one US port and ending in another US port, unless the voyage includes a "distant" foreign port (any port outside of North and Central America, the Caribbean, Bahamas, and Bermuda).  I suspect it is a one way, since those are the cruises that start in Vancouver, for just this reason.

Thanks Chief for answering before me. You are much more eloquent and versed on the official protocols. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, screwsmcernst said:

If you are talking Quantum, I am more concerned about that ship even coming to Alaska.  Royal Caribbean chose to leave it sailing out of Singapore this past Alaska season and allowed us to lift and shift to 2022.  If things stay the way they are, I bet they leave it there again, unfortunately.  They did adjust the itinerary of the first sailing to round trip Seattle, instead of Vancouver to Seattle since it isn't coming from Australia via Hawaii, so that was a good sign but I still think it is 50/50 that it comes here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

They did adjust the itinerary of the first sailing to round trip Seattle, instead of Vancouver to Seattle since it isn't coming from Australia via Hawaii, so that was a good sign but I still think it is 50/50 that it comes here.

I’m on the Ovation 8 night sailing, after the 4 previous legs were cancelled. I’m surprised they haven’t changed it to a RT Seattle yet. Easier for me, since it’s my home, although Vancouver won’t make a huge difference.

• Like 1

Well, I have two cruises booked, one out of Vancouver in July one way with a land tour at the end and home from Anchorage.  Then I have a Quantum for late Aug and early Sept.  Honestly, I never thought that RCI would not bring her over.   However, if that happens, I will be bummed as I have done Ovation already.

Time will tell for all of us.  I hope the East coast trips to Canada also come back too.

11 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Well, I have two cruises booked, one out of Vancouver in July one way with a land tour at the end and home from Anchorage.  Then I have a Quantum for late Aug and early Sept.  Honestly, I never thought that RCI would not bring her over.   However, if that happens, I will be bummed as I have done Ovation already.

Time will tell for all of us.  I hope the East coast trips to Canada also come back too.

I think the decision will be made in conjunction with whatever announcement Australia makes about cruising.  Quantum has an Australia season planned for 2022 after the Alaska season.  If Australia remains closed to cruise ships, I bet they leave Quantum in Singapore.  The Canadian announcement will be part of it too but I don't see them bringing another ship over here to float off the west coast after the Alaska season as Ovation is doing now.  They will stay in Singapore and make money.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I think the decision will be made in conjunction with whatever announcement Australia makes about cruising.  Quantum has an Australia season planned for 2022 after the Alaska season.  If Australia remains closed to cruise ships, I bet they leave Quantum in Singapore.  The Canadian announcement will be part of it too but I don't see them bringing another ship over here to float off the west coast after the Alaska season as Ovation is doing now.  They will stay in Singapore and make money.

oh dear well I hope they make a decision before April.  I did want to sail on quantum as I have B2B.  

And in 2020, I did not get to sail to NZ either from Sydney on X ship.   hoping for the best in 2022.

• Like 2

We will be keeping an eye out for all 3 of our Alaska cruises:

June 2022 -- Majestic Princess B2B (Vancouver to Vancouver)

August 2022 -- Discovery Princess (Seattle to Seattle)

August 2022 -- RCI Quantum of the Seas (Seattle to Seattle)

Whatever happens we will make the best of it just like we did last year --- but sure hoping that we get to visit "our happy place" in 2022.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

oh dear well I hope they make a decision before April.  I did want to sail on quantum as I have B2B.  

And in 2020, I did not get to sail to NZ either from Sydney on X ship.   hoping for the best in 2022.

Australia's cruise ban is through February 17, 2022, so I think we will know the cruise lines decision soon after that date is extended our allowed to expire.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6516/

Just now, reallyitsmema said:

Australia's cruise ban is through February 17, 2022, so I think we will know the cruise lines decision soon after that date is extended our allowed to expire.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6516/

yes, well I do feel bad for the down under folks but I also want Quantum in Alaska too. 

• Like 1

I've been holding out on purchasing airfare for our May 29th Alaska sailing from Vancouver because I'm not certain it will actually sail due to Canadian covid restrictions, and also because there will be more hoops to jump through (negative covid test required) to return to the U.S. after disembarking the cruise in Vancouver. Have thought about replacing it with a sailing from Seattle instead. Will wait a bit to see how things pan out for cruise travel from Canada. 

As of November 1st, 2021, Canada started allowing cruise ships in Canadian waters, however, Canada also advises against cruise ship travel.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

We have a cruise booked out of Vancouver for July 2022, although we expect that the cruise could well be cancelled.  We are holding off booking the flights until the spring as hopefully we will have a better idea of the situation by then.

Just a FYI for anyone planning an Alaska trip with a land component this coming season:  A large part of the (only) road through Denali National Park will be closed.  A section of the road collapsed and local folks do not expect it to be passable again until some time in 2024.  We had a northbound cruise booked for June.  We planned to spend a week split between Vancouver and Victoria before the cruise and follow the cruise with 3 weeks driving around Alaska.  We cancelled as we would rather wait until we can tour Denali and the Canadian ports are no longer iffy.  We usually go to the same place only once (hey, it's a big world!) and prefer to wait until we can do it all in one trip.

Also, Seattle and Vancouver are an easy connection by rail and I've been told that the airfare to Seattle is usually much less than Vancouver.  I'm thinking that info could be helpful to some unfamiliar with the area, especially if you have a little extra time. You can also take the Victoria Clipper (ferry) from Seattle to Victoria and then connect (BC Connector ferry/bus) to Vancouver.  I've researched the whole thing to death so figured I'd share in case any of this info is useful to others.