Just entered isolation/quarantine on Constellation

Quarantined

So, on the morning of day 4 of our 11 night cruise on Celebrity Constellation I unfortunately tested positive for covid. I am somewhat bored already, so I thought I’d share my experiences so far, and I’m happy to answer any questions you all have. 

One note before I start - this is a new account, since I want to give my wife, who has tested negative this morning but is in quarantine, a little privacy. 

This is/was our first cruise in a suite (after cruising many times before with Celebrity and other cruise lines), and we were loving the experience. Luminae has been outstanding, and the service has gone above and beyond every step of the way. 

Anyway, late last night I started getting a sore throat, so we went to bed early. During the night I developed a dry cough, so this morning I called Guest Relations (since I couldn’t find the number directly to Medical)  to tell them I probably needed a covid test. After a minute or two of initial confusion everything kicked into gear efficiently. 

Exactly one minute earlier than announced a nurse knocked on our door and took my temperature, oxygen saturation, and did a nasal swab. Professional and courteous throughout. 

The result took about 45 minutes, and came back positive as I suspected. 

I was told I best start packing my bags since I would move to isolation,  but that my wife would be tested first. Her test came back negative, and she has no symptoms so far. 

The isolation/quarantine area of the Constellation is deck 7 forward, and when I moved in there only seemed to be a few cabins occupied, but many more ready if need be. Most of the isolation cabins seem to be balcony cabins, and I was indeed put in one. Clean, comfortable etc of course, my only gripe is that there is a single actual glass glass (for water) here, everything else is delivered in paper. 

After talking with guest relations on the phone it was confirmed that as a (former) suite guest I’m welcome to order from the Luminae a la carte menu, as well as from all room service menus and dining room menus. Being able to order from Luminae’s daily menu was a pleasant surprise. 

I was also told I was welcome to order beer, wine etc as I wanted, and that wifi streaming was activated for us both (our reservation was made back in the dark days when Wi-Fi was not always included). 

My wife will be tested again tomorrow, and if she tests negative she will be free to decide if she wants to move around the ship (with certain restrictions), or she can decide to join me if she wants, but then will have to stay in isolation for the remainder of the cruise. 

The information letter provided to me states that I will be isolated “for the duration of the voyage or 10 days - whichever is less”. In my case that will mean until Tampa. 

All in all, I feel quite fine. Coughing and soreness are both very mild. 

I really want to take the time to say that the ship’s doctor has been outstanding. Friendly, approachable and really making sure I was well taken care of. I was offered a chest x-ray, meds etc if I wanted or needed them, which is a comfort to know if that would later become the case. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 22

1 minute ago, BigAl94 said:

Sorry to hear this and hope your wife stays clear. Obvious question is do you now regret cruising?

Thank you! Well, today is the first day of isolation, and up until today we were loving every minute of it. We’ll see how restless I feel in a week’s time… 😉 

• Like 2

Thank you for posting and I hope you get better soon and your wife stays testing negative.

I found it very distressing that they expect you to quarantine for the entire rest of the cruise.  What happened to the promise that if you catch Covid they will arrange for private transportation home?!?!  Did you ask them about that?  Besides being triple vaxxed and therefore believing I would not get deathly ill if in fact I did catch Covid, that was one of my key consolations - to think if I did get sick I would not be stuck in a cabin for days on end but could get flown home.  It seems like that promise went down the tubes.

ps

Thank you for being considerate and getting tested right away instead of taking a chance and potentially infecting many others!

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, TourDeCruise said:

If your wife tests negative, you might want her to stay in your suite so she can be your advocate on the outside if needed. Read the other Quarantined thread 

Really good advice.  Not sure he'll need advocacy, but it couldn't hurt.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

What happened to the promise that if you catch Covid they will arrange for private transportation home?!?! 

I copied this from the Celebrity website healthy at sea page today:

"Safe Passage Home

We’re with you every step of the way no matter where in the world you travel with us. If you test positive for COVID-19 onboard during your cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the cost of your onboard COVID-19 medical treatment, land-based isolation, and private air transfer home for you and your traveling party, if required*. Due to an increasing number of COVID-19 cases, private air transfers will only be provided in medically necessary situations. We will assist guests with commercial flights home once their quarantine period has been completed either shipboard and/or shoreside."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

6 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Thank you for posting and I hope you get better soon and your wife stays testing negative.

I found it very distressing that they expect you to quarantine for the entire rest of the cruise.  What happened to the promise that if you catch Covid they will arrange for private transportation home?!?!  Did you ask them about that?  Besides being triple vaxxed and therefore believing I would not get deathly ill if in fact I did catch Covid, that was one of my key consolations - to think if I did get sick I would not be stuck in a cabin for days on end but could get flown home.  It seems like that promise went down the tubes.

ps

Thank you for being considerate and getting tested right away instead of taking a chance and potentially infecting many others!

Thank you! I wouldn’t have been able to look myself in the mirror if I had knowingly endangered others. 

Sorry, I should have been clearer about the aspect of transportation home - the information letter does state that “we always work with ports of call to disembark guests who have tested positive whenever possible. And, subject to availability, we try to arrange private air transportation when commercial transportation is not possible. In some cases, if disembarkation is not an option, and private air transfers are not available, guests may be required to continue isolating in their cabin”. 

In our case, we are flying intercontinentally after the cruise, which is why I would assume that it won’t be reasonable to expect Celebrity to arrange private air transfer due to the costs involved. 

From the timeline of my infection, and if everything resolves as I would hope, we should be cleared to fly when the cruise ends. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

@Quarantined  First off, I truly hope you feel better.  And I hope you poor wife does not become ill.

Thank you for reporting here about your experience.  

These type of isolation/quarantine threads are starting to multiply here on CC.

It is just not worth cruising to me right now and take a risk on this scenario.  Mildly ill but stuck in an enclosed space for days.  

Hope your wife continues to enjoy her suite!  At least that would make it better for me knowing that!

Get well soon and keep posting here on your experience.

Much appreciated!

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, cruisinsusin said:

I copied this from the Celebrity website healthy at sea page today:

"Safe Passage Home

We’re with you every step of the way no matter where in the world you travel with us. If you test positive for COVID-19 onboard during your cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the cost of your onboard COVID-19 medical treatment, land-based isolation, and private air transfer home for you and your traveling party, if required*. Due to an increasing number of COVID-19 cases, private air transfers will only be provided in medically necessary situations. We will assist guests with commercial flights home once their quarantine period has been completed either shipboard and/or shoreside."

Thank you.  Wonder when that changed!  I always wondered how they would handle it if there were an outbreak of any size.  If you ask my opinion, it was always a "feel good" promise, made for optics only, that was not worth the paper (or website) it was written on.  I feel like I've been duped.  This was not the policy under which I booked my cruise (or in my case, lifted and shifted rather than getting a refund).  I'm not saying I would necessarily do that (I have a cruise fanatic husband to deal with), but given this major change they should allow people a full refund if they choose to cancel.

• Like 1

@Quarantined I'm so sorry this has happened to you, and hope that your symptoms are mild, that you have a quick recovery, and that your wife does not also become ill.  And thank you for your consideration to everyone else in reporting your symptoms to the medical staff.

It's kind of you to post on here and report your experiences; different ships are handling things a little differently, so it gives those who may cruise in the future a sense of what is at risk.

44 minutes ago, TourDeCruise said:

If your wife tests negative, you might want her to stay in your suite so she can be your advocate on the outside if needed. Read the other Quarantined thread 

Not just that, of course, but also to make it less likely that she will catch the virus from the OP.  Of course, only the OP and his wife can make the decision as to what they'll do if she continues to test negative (which of course I hope is the case).

• Like 2

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with all of us.  Prayers for a speedy recovery and that your wife stays "negative".  Makes me wonder how many cruise passengers with mild symptoms are just taking Motrin, cough medicine and not telling anyone if they develop any symptoms? Just thinking out loud and not something I would do!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Wonder when that changed!  I always wondered how they would handle it if there were an outbreak of any size.  If you ask my opinion, it was always a "feel good" promise, made for optics only,

It was always listed on the website as **IF REQUIRED. If you are asymptomatic or have mild symptoms and there is no need to urgently remove you from the ship, they are not footing the bill to charter you home. The cost would be massive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

It was always listed on the website as **IF REQUIRED. If you are asymptomatic or have mild symptoms and there is no need to urgently remove you from the ship, they are not footing the bill to charter you home. The cost would be massive.

I guess I was interpreting the "if required" statement differently.  I read it that if you had Covid then it would be required.  Otherwise, when would it ever be required?  If you were so sick you needed hospital care, then you would be taken to the nearest port that would accept you and then be stuck there.  I guess (arguing with myself admittedly) at that point once you were able to fly it would be required for them to fly you home privately.  Or would they make you stick it out until you could legally fly commercial?  I just don't trust them anymore.  I felt safe with the promises before, not so much now that I am seeing the actions actually play out

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, spammie said:

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with all of us.  Prayers for a speedy recovery and that your wife stays "negative".  Makes me wonder how many cruise passengers with mild symptoms are just taking Motrin, cough medicine and not telling anyone if they develop any symptoms? Just thinking out loud and not something I would do!

I would be sure it's not uncommon

• Like 1

@Quarantined, thank you for taking time to tell us about your unfortunate status.  It seems to be the trend around Cruise Critic; perhaps a sub-board will be set up for all those in quarantine or isolation.

Just one question at this time, a real toughie - any suspects as to who might have donated the virus to you?

Thanks again, get well soon, and I hope you have more to share when you're ready and able.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, semibeater said:

If you would be so kind which block of cabins on deck 7 are you in? Do you have a veranda? Port or starboard? You said forward. I am curious as I am on the next connie departure on that deck right now.

Any idea if all the quarantine cabins are balcony?  Wondering if you have an inside cabin they move you to an inside cabin for the duration of the voyage.

• Like 1

Are you allowed to use your balcony? Read on the Royal board where someone was quarantined in a balcony cabin and guest services called them when they detected the balcony door being open. Told them they couldn't go outside on the balcony. Sorry this is happening to you.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

@Quarantined, thank you for taking time to tell us about your unfortunate status.  It seems to be the trend around Cruise Critic; perhaps a sub-board will be set up for all those in quarantine or isolation.

Just one question at this time, a real toughie - any suspects as to who might have donated the virus to you?

Thanks again, get well soon, and I hope you have more to share when you're ready and able.

Couldn’t really say for sure, but from the timing I suspect I probably picked the virus up in Tampa pre-cruise. At least that’s what’s most likely, but in rare cases the incubation period can apparently be anywhere between 2 and 14 days, so who knows for sure?

I haven’t met anyone who struck me as ill, coughing or anything like that, so it’s all just guesswork for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, coaster said:

Are you allowed to use your balcony? Read on the Royal board where someone was quarantined in a balcony cabin and guest services called them when they detected the balcony door being open. Told them they couldn't go outside on the balcony. Sorry this is happening to you.

Thank you. Hasn’t been an issue with using the balcony, I’ve bee out there several times already. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1