Lecture series on Royal?

Bxc53

We will be on Quantum to Hawaii in October with lots of sea days. Does Royal have informational presentations, similar to the Celebrity ones? 
I found them a good counterpoint to the more active options, especially on a stretch of sea days. To be clear, I’m not referring to the sales related ones ( “How to buy art, jewelry, etc”). 

23 minutes ago, Bxc53 said:

We will be on Quantum to Hawaii in October with lots of sea days. Does Royal have informational presentations, similar to the Celebrity ones? 
I found them a good counterpoint to the more active options, especially on a stretch of sea days. To be clear, I’m not referring to the sales related ones ( “How to buy art, jewelry, etc”). 

Never seen one on any Royal ship.  But there have been wonderful ones we have attended on the QM2 and  Celebrity Eclipse and on Princess.

They have had them in the past on transatlantic and similar but it remains to be seen right now.  The last one that I remember was about the movie industry and was extremely well attended.  Another that I remember well was about how not to be a victim when you travel and was very informative and interesting.  Here's hoping….

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bxc53 said:

Does Royal have informational presentations, similar to the Celebrity ones? 

Yes. Ovation had a very interesting presentation about Hawaii's history on the reverse itinerary. What's available in the COVID era could vary wildly.

On the two Hawaiian cruises I've been on, we had Hawaiian history and culture lectures.  One was especially interesting.  The Hawaiian dance troupe that was on board had a great guitar and ukulele player, also a native Hawaiian.  He thought the "guest lecturer" was missing a lot, so he set up his own lectures after the ukulele lessons.

He was funny and so informative.  He said when you are 5th - 6th generation Hawaiian, on a island, the girls you can date are REALLY scarce, because your Mama knows the family history going back forever.  Every time he would bring a girl home to meet her, she would say he couldn't date her:  she was his umpteenth cousin.  Drove him nuts.  He finally met a mainland tourist, who is Caucasian, and knew he was OK!!!

13 hours ago, vistapat said:

On our Ovation cruise in Alaska in 2019, there was a Canadian Mountie who gave talks in 270 at around lunch time.  He was great, and I enjoyed them.

Pat

He was on our Alaska cruise too.  Otherwise I've only seen lectures on Transatlantic's. 

Cunards lectures were fabulous. An amazing elderly guy who spoke so interestingly and without notes about Titantic, another an editor of Vanity Fair who was a friend of Princess Diana.

On one RC cruise a crew member who had an interest in the subject gave a great lectures on the night sky, on deck at night 

Edited by sgmn

I’ve had them on several Caribbean cruises - one daily series was great on the history of pirates in the Caribbean.

A cruise we were on in January did not have a nerd lecture. I was a bit disappointed, but I managed!

We’ve had lectures/cultural enhancement on many cruises. On some cruises with several Sea  days (Transatlantic/repositioning) there has been a speaker that either speaks on a variety of topics or some type of series. On one of our transatlantic’s, I think there were two separate speakers. They film the presentations  and re-show it on tv. 

We’ve  had  an historic speaker the day before we went through the Suez Canal, and a speaker during the panama canal passage.  Also had a speaker the day before we reached ports  on a transatlantic cruise. 

We often find them informative and enjoyable. If not, we will watch on TV later in the evening to help us fall sleep😄

m

We’ve seen the occasional lecture, sometimes on the areas we were visiting, sometimes on random topics, but they almost always had very small attendance.

EXCEPT for our cruise to Cuba in 2018 (which was on Carnival), where the lecturer split her talk into three categories, about 75 minutes each over 3 days. The room was PACKED (including people standing in the back and through the doors, for each one. That cruise was definitely a really cool experience where for almost everybody on board it was all about how special going to Cuba was, especially since we knew there was a good chance that opportunity would be gone shortly. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, truffles2 said:

They have had them in the past on transatlantic and similar but it remains to be seen right now.  The last one that I remember was about the movie industry and was extremely well attended.  

I think we were on the same TA as you.  Yes, he was a Hollywood producer. He worked on Top Gun.  He had an excellent PowerPoint of media and behind the scenes information.  His audience grew over the course of the TA and he almost filled the theatre. I would go back to see him again.

1 hour ago, jacobtsf said:

We’ve seen the occasional lecture, sometimes on the areas we were visiting, sometimes on random topics, but they almost always had very small attendance.

EXCEPT for our cruise to Cuba in 2018 (which was on Carnival), where the lecturer split her talk into three categories, about 75 minutes each over 3 days. The room was PACKED (including people standing in the back and through the doors, for each one. That cruise was definitely a really cool experience where for almost everybody on board it was all about how special going to Cuba was, especially since we knew there was a good chance that opportunity would be gone shortly. 

That's the only cruise I had RCL lectures on- we were the 3rd RCL cruise to Cuba, and it was packed daily for all the updates, with a separate series on the more political aspects.  And a great Netflix documentary had come out, so I made my mom watch that too!

I also remember dragging my mom out of bed at 5:30 am to watch us sail into Havana.  I figured I'd be the only idiot doing that.  Half the ship was up there- with champagne- because they were all going home for the first time in years.  It was one of my best cruising memories.

• Like 1