Princess mask update 2/18/22. Effective 3/1/22

Ombud

47 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Elevators: We're in our late 60s and are still able to use the stairs whenever feasible. But if we have to walk up 4+ flights of stairs, especially after a meal, we'll take the elevator with our masks on. Now, if either unmasked or 3 or more passengers decide to enter the elevator on an in-between floor, we get off there and walk up the rest of the way. 

We have a similar strategy for avoiding the elevators and it gets us a little exercise. If we are in a dining room lets say on deck 6 and we want to go up to the Lido deck 16, we will take the stairs and go up 2 or 3 decks at a time. Then we walk the cabin hallway and go up another 2 or 3 decks. We repeat this until we get to the deck we want. We aren’t in good enough shape to go straight up the stairs for 10 decks but we are able to use the stairs and avoid the elevators if we use the pattern of stairs, walk, stairs, walk, stairs, walk. I do realize there are many folks who can’t use the stairs but we a fortunate that we are still able to use them and it’s good exercise for us while cruising.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I’m all for masks but how do you know when somebody booked a cruise? Maybe there was not a mask mandate when they booked?  I know for a fact that things changed in December requiring you to wear a mask at all times while indoors because it changed during our cruise.  I will still wear a mask because that’s what I want to do.

This was left on our beds on December 19, 2021…

74211F3C-010C-406C-8989-FDC6E7B3806B.jpeg

Since they increased mask requirements mid-cruise, I don't see why they couldn't decrease mask requirements mid-cruise (re: Mar 1/22).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IJustWantToGo36 said:

No Problem

The unmasked will AVOID YOU

I can explain why, but it will get me booted off the page.

I won't be wearing a mask at all when the mandate goes away, but I certainly will not avoid anyone who choses to wear a mask going forward.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I won't be wearing a mask at all when the mandate goes away, but I certainly will not avoid anyone who choses to wear a mask going forward.

Same here. If people still want to wear them, I'll give them their space, but we'll do our own thing and if people want to ride the elevator with us being unmasked it's their choice. 

We've had enough of this unnecessary masking to last us & thankfully we can now enjoy our trip and breath.

• Like 5

Masks:  Individual preferences, under sailing guidelines.

Room Service order/tips:  Individual preferences.  

Gratuities/Crew Appreciation:  Individual preferences.

Elevator protocols:  Group courtesy

Social Distancing:  Group courtesy

Theater etiquette. Group courtesy

This is not about me and them.  This is about what is socially accepted since we are all on the "same boat".  Everyone has their preferences and we need to respect each person's comfort level, while keeping in mine the good of the group.

Just my opinion.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

This is not about me and them.  This is about what is socially accepted since we are all on the "same boat".  Everyone has their preferences and we need to respect each person's comfort level, while keeping in mine the good of the group.

Just my opinion.  

Splendid!!!

our opinion as well. 
Thanks for spreading the gospel of Common Sense. 😃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Just my opinion.  

Elevator - do you mean take your turn?

Social - we didn't really have this concept pre-pandemic, other than perhaps "invading one's personal space"

Just wondering what you mean by the above items?

Disclaimer:  I am a teacher and should learn to proof read my entries before hitting the submit button...

"This is not about me and them.  This is about what is socially accepted since we are all on the "same boat".  Everyone has their preferences and we need to respect each person's comfort level, while keeping in MIND the good of the group."

@Bgwest-  Yes, common sense.  But, speaking from experience, it is not all that common.  Some people were never born or taught common sense (Is this a teachable trait?).  

@Steelers36- You are correct regarding (lack of) politeness on/in an elevator pre-pandemic.  But I witnessed civility on the elevators post pandemic.  Granted, the ships were sailing empty or at reduced capacity.  But I "saw" people being really polite at the elevators.  It was so refreshing.

We can ALL agree that cruising in the near future will be very different than cruising in the past.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 2/20/2022 at 8:37 AM, smbt1 said:

if one is really interested they can file an FOI request for the number of cases each day by ship sailing out of US for a specific period.  Takes about 6 weeks to get the data.

Freedom of Information requests are directed to gov't entities, not to private companies.  I would not expect Princess to reply to any FOI request.

In Las Vegas (and the entire state), the mask mandate was removed.  I still mask up whenever a private business has a Masks Required" sign on the door --- the business owner has the right to impose this on his customers.  I still mask up when I am in any crowded environment -- a show (I recently went to LOVE), a blackjack table, or a crowded bank of slots.  

I will continue to mask up on a cruise ship in similar circumstances -- including any crowded situation -- even if the ship is not requiring masks.  

I understand that some people who booked cruises in reliance of Princess' stated policy of requiring masks might feel cheated when Princess relaxes the rules.  That is reasonable.  But for those who are booked on a February 28 cruise, well, the mask rule was what you agreed to, and you should cheerfully comply.  Yes, the change is arbitrary, but it is what you agreed to when you booked.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, IJustWantToGo36 said:

I don't think the February 28  cruisers should be worried 

Over the next week ,  more and more cruisers every day  will lose the mask regardless of the official rules 

By the time you get to March 1,   the masked  will be in the minority especially out of  Florida 

What do you mean they will lose the masks regardless of the official rules? If they require a mask on the ship then we have to follow the rules, don’t we? Or do the rules only apply to some people?

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Freedom of Information requests are directed to gov't entities, not to private companies.  I would not expect Princess to reply to any FOI request.

You file it with the CDC not the cruise line

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

What do you mean they will lose the masks regardless of the official rules? If they require a mask on the ship then we have to follow the rules, don’t we? Or do the rules only apply to some people?

I saw this on CB and was reported in other threads

In other words, cruise liners are a business that needs to keep the majority of their customers happy and as those customers decided what actions they would take, the cruise line had / has choices

It was explained here as a 55 MPH speed limit and I 95.  Flow of traffic and road conditions dictate the actual accepted speed at that time>

I will not argue, that is what is happening

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Is this information that the cruise lines are required to share with the CDC? If so, would it be eligible for an FOI request to the CDC?

We currently are on the Enchanted.  The crew was talking about this new rule all day yesterday.  They are looking forward to not wearing their mask, but I am not sure what Princess will allow them to do when around pax.  It will be nice to see their face and for the hearing impaired it will be nice to finally understand what they are saying.  The masks blur their speech making it hard to understand. Unfortunately, we will be getting off the ship on 2/28. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Just my opinion.  

A voice of courtesy and common sense so missing on this and other threads. Thanks for posting this 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

We currently are on the Enchanted.  The crew was talking about this new rule all day yesterday.  They are looking forward to not wearing their mask, but I am not sure what Princess will allow them to do when around pax.  It will be nice to see their face and for the hearing impaired it will be nice to finally understand what they are saying.  The masks blur their speech making it hard to understand. Unfortunately, we will be getting off the ship on 2/28. 

How is the mask compliance going on the CB right now?

12 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

In Las Vegas (and the entire state), the mask mandate was removed.  I still mask up whenever a private business has a Masks Required" sign on the door --- the business owner has the right to impose this on his customers.  I still mask up when I am in any crowded environment -- a show (I recently went to LOVE), a blackjack table, or a crowded bank of slots.  

I will continue to mask up on a cruise ship in similar circumstances -- including any crowded situation -- even if the ship is not requiring masks.  

I understand that some people who booked cruises in reliance of Princess' stated policy of requiring masks might feel cheated when Princess relaxes the rules.  That is reasonable.  But for those who are booked on a February 28 cruise, well, the mask rule was what you agreed to, and you should cheerfully comply.  Yes, the change is arbitrary, but it is what you agreed to when you booked.

We do the same. There have been no mask mandates in FL and DH and I still mask up in crowded situations or entering stores.

However, we are booked on the February 28th cruise and even though we agreed to the rule, (as did everyone else who booked any cruises starting after March 1st) we plan to play it by ear. If the ship has relaxed rules, we will follow suit especially if we can enjoy a drink indoors without sipping and covering!

Let's face it. Anyone choosing to take a cruise at this time are obviously risk takers in regards to the virus. Mask or no mask.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, hllwdcruiser said:

Let's face it. Anyone choosing to take a cruise at this time are obviously risk takers in regards to the virus. Mask or no mask.

So true. They subject themselves to a situation in close contact with other people & then wear a mask (which doesn't help much at all).

Let us know how the ship is handling the new protocols, like elevators which have always been a crowding problem.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Is this information that the cruise lines are required to share with the CDC? If so, would it be eligible for an FOI request to the CDC?

I can speak from actually filing an FOI and getting the response that the CDC does respond.  I asked for and received the cases identified on each cruise ship in US waters for the date range requested.  It took 6 weeks for the complete response.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1