Princess mask update 2/18/22. Effective 3/1/22

Ombud

12 hours ago, rj59 said:

What worries me is the 'masking might still be required in certain venues and events', which could be interpreted as theaters, Princess Live, and bars for trivia and other crowded events, which still leaves that annoyance and stress factor and stupidity factor (since the same distance and time risks are faced in dining rooms and bars). I really hope they'll extend the same courtesy to crew too--I want to see their faces, which will be really smiling after wearing N95 masks for months. With the fall in case counts and dropping requirements for work/school testing, local testing should be much easier as well, and 3 days is a good first step, since it was the original policy. I'll miss the low-occupancy cruises, though. 

Or a better step is getting rid of the testing all together ....if you are fully vaccs...

• Like 2

I find it odd for these type of rules to change in some future date.  For me, it just makes the current policy suspect.  I say this because they could move to the new standard ASAP.   Waiting a couple of weeks implies a arbitrary reason not based upon any clear metric.

To those say, well, the rates are going down so they are waiting for them to get lower, then I say, tell me the infection rate that drives the relaxed requirements.  How do they know it will be low enough?  And FWIW, I feel the mandates should be lifted or put in place based upon some metric.  Not describing the metric leads one to believe that the action is too arbitrary.

This has been an issue all along.  Some organization "feels" that something is appropriate but rarely describes why.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, eclue said:

Just off the Regal today and there was strict enforcement of the mask rules.....guess it varies from ship to ship. Most all were in compliance without being told.

I was on that cruise too (and have stayed on for the next one).  I saw no enforcement to those who wore no mask nor who wore them below their noses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Redwing55 said:

I find it odd for these type of rules to change in some future date.  For me, it just makes the current policy suspect.  I say this because they could move to the new standard ASAP.   Waiting a couple of weeks implies a arbitrary reason not based upon any clear metric.

To those say, well, the rates are going down so they are waiting for them to get lower, then I say, tell me the infection rate that drives the relaxed requirements.  How do they know it will be low enough?  And FWIW, I feel the mandates should be lifted or put in place based upon some metric.  Not describing the metric leads one to believe that the action is too arbitrary.

This has been an issue all along.  Some organization "feels" that something is appropriate but rarely describes why.  

I suspect that they are giving the passengers warning that the rules are changing so reduce the number of people that are surprised when they show up at the pier and find that the rules have changed.

It also allows then time to notify each ship and make any adjustments to protocols on board as well as any changes to crew training.

• Like 2

Deep sigh.  Two full years into this pandemic and the endless debates continue.  Get OVER it already!  If you are NOT comfortable with the updated changes, then please do NOT travel. It's as simple as that. Your opinions here on masking carry no weight in the real world.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6

5 hours ago, memoak said:

Easy to enforce. Don’t follow masking rules leave the ship at next port. Once a few dozen are kicked off there will be 100% compliance

4 hours ago, memoak said:

If people do not want to obey the rules which we all know can change from day to day they shouldn’t cruise

I would hazard a guess that you may not be vary happy with relaxed rules after March 1.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, big al said:

So...we are on the Feb. 28th 10 night Enchanted Princess cruise..does this mean that the NEXT day, March 1st, masks will be not be required, except in the designated areas? A bit confusing...

The statement says it applies to cruises leaving March at or after. I haven’t seen any details about cruises that are already sailing on that date. 

4 hours ago, julia said:

Deep sigh.  Two full years into this pandemic and the endless debates continue.  Get OVER it already!  If you are NOT comfortable with the updated changes, then please do NOT travel. It's as simple as that. Your opinions here on masking carry no weight in the real world.

I agree with you 100%, but I do accept that those who want to still wear masks should do so, and not make me feel guilty for leaving mine in a cupboard.

I was pushing for this a month or so ago and got flamed by many, but things are changing quickly. Fortunately. I have booked already. 

• Like 8

21 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I hear you & if I were on that cruise I would really be disappointed,

Somehow I doubt if they'll be any real enforcement for masking either way, considering the date. 

I'm really surprised they just didn't make announcement to end masking on the date it was published. 

I don't see what the fuss is all about.  Folks booked these voyages at a time that there were mask protocols in place and happy to do so to get back on the ship and enjoy the cruise.  Now, when the situation might be changing to a more relaxed state, the concern is what will it be on their cruise since they boarded the ship before March 1st!  What difference does it make?  You booked the cruise to have a good time and it was knowing that there was a mask protocol.

What we don't know is what we don't know.  But until March 1st comes around folks will continue to get on this as an issue and forget about what is really important and that is enjoying being back on the ship.

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, Grego said:

I don't see what the fuss is all about.  Folks booked these voyages at a time that there were mask protocols in place and happy to do so to get back on the ship and enjoy the cruise.  Now, when the situation might be changing to a more relaxed state, the concern is what will it be on their cruise since they boarded the ship before March 1st!  What difference does it make?  You booked the cruise to have a good time and it was knowing that there was a mask protocol.

What we don't know is what we don't know.  But until March 1st comes around folks will continue to get on this as an issue and forget about what is really important and that is enjoying being back on the ship.

That's easy for you to say because you are not affected by this rule. I wonder how you would feel if you were actually in our situation. 

Always an arm chair quarterback in the crowd.

7 minutes ago, minnesotasisu said:

That's easy for you to say because you are not affected by this rule. I wonder how you would feel if you were actually in our situation. 

Always an arm chair quarterback in the crowd.

I am on the Feb 28th voyage so I am involved in the situation but I don't care.  Mask or no mask it doesn't matter.  I am back on board the ship for the third time since the end of November and the mask environment didn't affect my enjoyment of those voyages, nor would it for this voyage or any future cruises we have booked for this year.

It all comes down to ..."it is what it is".  And that won't change.

• Like 15

I sat in a high school gym with over 1000 people Friday night watching a basketball game and I was the only one wearing a mask (N95 to boot). Didn’t bother me in the least. I will continue to mask where I feel it is in my best interest and the interest of those around me. I’ll certainly be wearing one in the Princess Theater and elevators.  Some day I will feel safe not doing so, but won’t rely on Princess to tell me when that is.

• Like 32

11 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

The policy doesn’t change until March 1st.  Are they still handing out N95 masks?   I hope you enjoyed your cruise. I can’t wait until my next cruise! 

On RCCL it changed on February 14th for sailings going forward. We sailed on the 13th and were not allowed the same courtesy as of the 14th. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dickinson said:

I was on that cruise too (and have stayed on for the next one).  I saw no enforcement to those who wore no mask nor who wore them below their noses.

We have never seen any enforcement by Princess other than announcements and rarely was anyone told to directly put a mask on by staff who did not have one.  The one thing Princess has never come clean about is how many Covid cases were on each sailing.  We know of a couple who became sick on the ship but it was kept real quiet.  We have a couple more cruises coming up but I just do not trust Princess anymore with protecting its passenger who want protecting.....obviously there are a lot who just do not care and want to get back to Trivia on board.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

We have never seen any enforcement by Princess other than announcements and rarely was anyone told to directly put a mask on by staff who did not have one.  The one thing Princess has never come clean about is how many Covid cases were on each sailing.  We know of a couple who became sick on the ship but it was kept real quiet.  We have a couple more cruises coming up but I just do not trust Princess anymore with protecting its passenger who want protecting.....obviously there are a lot who just do not care and want to get back to Trivia on board.

Good to hear.

Going forward people can mask or not depending on their preference.

If you're really looking for protection at this time, stay home.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, dickinson said:

I guess we were in different places at different times.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I would hazard a guess that you may not be vary happy with relaxed rules after March 1.

I have no idea why you would say that. I am sailing in April and looking forward to it. I simply am pointing out that conditions change constantly and folks should not be surprised if they are on a cruise and an outbreak occurs and masking is once more required. Or that the find that there favorite venue is requiring masks due to overcrowding. Some folks are going to assume no masks at all and then will be angry if they become required some places 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

if one is really interested they can file an FOI request for the number of cases each day by ship sailing out of US for a specific period.  Takes about 6 weeks to get the data.

We cruised on three Alaska cruises in late July and August of last year. The first was on HAL; masks were not required but we knew we’d be going on the Majestic Princess right afterward and so wore masks all the time. We didn’t want to carry any illness from one ship to the other. The second to the last day on that cruise, we received robocalls from Princess that masks would be required on that first Majestic Princess cruise. No worries, we had a supply of KN95s. 

At that time, B2B cruises on the same ship were still not allowed.  However, during that first Majestic Princess cruise, the 72 hour testing requirement began and B2B cruises were allowed. We decided to stay on for the next cruise and we were initially told that testing would not be required for us. Then, the last day of the cruise, we were told it would be. No worries, we presented ourselves at the Medical Center and were tested. 

All this to say that the requirements changed rapidly in the early days of returning to sail. I really believe that they will continue to change, either becoming stricter or more relaxed for at least the rest of this year. Don’t excitedly book now and then have an issue if masks are again required. Princess is going to do what it needs to do to protect its business. 

• Like 14

2 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

We know of a couple who became sick on the ship but it was kept real quiet.

I hope if I get it onboard they keep it quiet....LOL...Imagine on the loudspeaker:  ."John and Mary Smith on deck 8 cabin 8003 have Covid and are being sent to isolation"

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

1 minute ago, FlaMariner said:

I hope if I get it onboard they keep it quiet....LOL...Imagine on the loudspeaker:  ."John and Mary Smith on deck 8 cabin 8003 have Covid and are being sent to isolation"

"You wont be seeing john and mary again, we're booting them off at the next port. Make sure you facebook message them so they know we didn't keep it quiet"

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Good to hear.

Going forward people can mask or not depending on their preference.

If you're really looking for protection at this time, stay home.

How about if you’re looking for protection you go to places that have certain rules in effect and expect them to be enforced because people agreed to them before boarding!

• Like 8

3 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

On the Emerald last month dealers were telling players at the tables to Sip and Cover and reminding them to put the mask over both their nose and mouth if they weren’t wearing it correctly. Staff were also stopping anyone without a mask from entering the buffet. 

Edited by Torfamm
  • Like 1