Princess mask update 2/18/22. Effective 3/1/22

Ombud

2 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Well I see we are in the small minority here that would feel much safer if masking was still required!

California has dropped the indoor mask requirement but most of my friends are still wearing them

I am very sorry that most people in here feel they are relieved to stop using this protection

I am also in the small minority. Still high infection rates and concerns about long Covid so I will continue to wear a mask indoors in public places for the foreseeable. I’m from the UK.

• Like 19

CDC has redefined "fully vaccinated" to include boosters and relaxed testing to 3 days before. Does Princess follow to stay in highly vaccinated status??

(Links provided earlier)

I'm personally just glad that it's shifting from a pandemic to an endemic. Yes, it's hard for some to fully rejoin the outside world (my NP sister is like that) but I'M READY!!

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Sea rabbit said:

I am also in the small minority. Still high infection rates and concerns about long Covid so I will continue to wear a mask indoors in public places for the foreseeable. I’m from the UK.

Holiday in Scotland, we still have all the mask restrictions in place up here. Masks are still mandatory for everyone in shops, public transport, pubs, restaurants etc - but we have no fewer cases than elsewhere? Make what you want of that.

• Like 1

Remember the new rules state that masks will still be required in some indoor settings so I would still pack the masks. I will be willing to bet that in crowded spaces with hundreds of people like shows you will still have to mask

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Ombud said:

CDC has redefined "fully vaccinated" to include boosters and relaxed testing to 3 days before. Does Princess follow to stay in highly vaccinated status??

(Links provided earlier)

I'm personally just glad that it's shifting from a pandemic to an endemic. Yes, it's hard for some to fully rejoin the outside world (my NP sister is like that) but I'M READY!!

Is NP nurse practitioner?

If so, doesn't that tell you something?

I'm ready too but I'm not sure its not a little premature. I'll continue to wear well fitted KF94s for the time being.

Edited by chamima
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

Remember the new rules state that masks will still be required in some indoor settings so I would still pack the masks. I will be willing to bet that in crowded spaces with hundreds of people like shows you will still have to mask

There saying "There may, however, be certain venues and events where masks will be required."

It sort of leaves it open to the discretion of the individual ship as I read it.

It's to early to say for sure but I suspect each ship will have their own view on how or if to enforce it. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, sueandkent said:

Me too. I'm considering cancelling, for the second time. 

I understand.

We sailed Princess in January because of the strict masking policy and felt very comfortable but canceled several Celebrity cruises because of their more relaxed rules.

I certainly hope Princess will provide people with cruises that are within the 30 day window to receive FCCs if they are no longer comfortable sailing because of the change in policy.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

But will it apply once in Europe?

Princess have not updated the guidance for cruises sailing from the U.K. as yet.

Reading that England's covid rules are all dropping a few days before we dis-embark in Southampton.  

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

It doesn't make sense if a ship departs on FEB 28 for 10 nights and another ship departs the next day for 10 nights, that the first ship has to have a mask mandate for 10 nights.

And it has to make sense? Laws are always passed with a starting date.

24 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And it has to make sense? Laws are always passed with a starting date.

With a start date of March 1, it shouldn't matter whether a ship has left port already or leaves on/after the date.  Folks are wondering if the effective date will vary by ship if you have read the thread.  Doesn't affect me personally, and it may not be known until someone on a ship reports as things often seem to vary by ship.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Wait…don’t we want people who are positive to be turned away? Isn’t that the ONLY purpose of testing?

Yes but I think their point was that someone could test negative at boarding (or two days before) and still be harboring the virus and then would conceivably test positive while on the cruise.

Re-read their statement with the emphasis on the highlighted portion:

The testing doesn't really do anything other than turn people away who are positive at day of boarding.

Edited by chamima
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

There saying "There may, however, be certain venues and events where masks will be required."

It sort of leaves it open to the discretion of the individual ship as I read it.

It's to early to say for sure but I suspect each ship will have their own view on how or if to enforce it. 

I agree and believe rules will change back and forth based on crowd sizes and case counts on board

1 minute ago, chamima said:

Yes but I think their point was that someone could test negative at boarding (or two days before) and still be harboring the virus and then would conceivably test positive while on the cruise.

Of course that does happen, so because it’s not a perfect system the testing should be discontinued?  I’m still confused. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Of course that does happen, so because it’s not a perfect system the testing should be discontinued?  I’m still confused. 

No, of course not but I think some people think that.

EDIT: On second thought. I think some people just want the testing and everything else to go away so are coming up with every excuse to justify .

Edited by chamima
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

People who want to continue to wear a mask are free to do so.

So what's the problem? If they fear the unmasked people then just don't cruise right now or anywhere else in public until the virus is completely gone. 

Problem solved. 

WOW!  You would have been tared and feathered for saying this 6 months ago.  Glad to see attitudes are shifting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, CFFC9973 said:

Haven't sold off all my cruise line stock yet

I actually bought some recently.  The daily price swings are incredible.  If I was a day trader I'd sure be playing the cruise line stocks - but I'm not😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, memoak said:

Good Point!

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

(Links provided earlier)

CDC still uses the term fully vaccinated to be the initial vaccination series.

It used the term Vaccines up to date to include having any recommended booster doses.

as per the following from the CDC web site

Get Vaccinated and Stay Up to Date

Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccines, including any booster dose(s) when eligible.

Fully vaccinated means a person has received their primary series of COVID-19 vaccines.

The 3 days test period is for those that are up to date and received boosters.

2 hours ago, weedpindle said:

Remember, we have been required to wear NON-MEDICAL masks.

p

No, you have been allowed to wear non-medical masks to meet the mask requirement.  There are quite a few that have chosen to wear medical grade masks to meet the requirement.

• Like 1