Princess mask update 2/18/22. Effective 3/1/22

Ombud

18 minutes ago, dickinson said:

How about if you’re looking for protection you go to places that have certain rules in effect and expect them to be enforced because people agreed to them before boarding!

I've agreed to many Princess things over the years and have see not one of them being enforced.

I wonder why Princess has been so lax in the matter?

So much talk about the mask situation:  to me it means nothing.  I will wear a mask when I feel it necessary or required.  But, the bigger change, at least for me and probably many others, is the time of being tested changing.  So much stress involved in the 2 day testing, especially since the rapid tests are extremely hard to find in my area.  Now, of course, I could do the test that could take 2 to 3 days but what if it doesn't come back in time?  3 days for testing would definitely relieve a lot of stress for many people but there seems to be no discussion on that. Has anyone heard anything more definite?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Grego said:

I am on the Feb 28th voyage so I am involved in the situation but I don't care.  Mask or no mask it doesn't matter.  I am back on board the ship for the third time since the end of November and the mask environment didn't affect my enjoyment of those voyages, nor would it for this voyage or any future cruises we have booked for this year.

It all comes down to ..."it is what it is".  And that won't change.

I apologize for my comment then. However I still feel Princess should have stated that masks are not required after March 1 instead of stating for cruises departing after March 1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jemnibabe said:

the bigger change, at least for me and probably many others, is the time of being tested changing.  So much stress involved in the 2 day testing, especially since the rapid tests are extremely hard to find in my area.  Now, of course, I could do the test that could take 2 to 3 days but what if it doesn't come back in time?  3 days for testing would definitely relieve a lot of stress for many people but there seems to be no discussion on that. Has anyone heard anything more definite?

The Web site hasn't changed from 2 days yet, so it's not official.  I do expect it to change soon, however.

For your testing needs, you should take a look at the Princess CruiseHealth FAQ, specifically the question "Where can I get a viral test near me?"  I recommend the Abbott at-home proctored test; the direct link to that is https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxnow-covid-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack/?utm_source=carnival&utm_medium=referral&utm_term=&utm_content=2-pack&utm_campaign=travel_ready_covid_test&utm_nooverride=1 .  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jemnibabe said:

So much talk about the mask situation:  to me it means nothing.  I will wear a mask when I feel it necessary or required.  But, the bigger change, at least for me and probably many others, is the time of being tested changing.  So much stress involved in the 2 day testing, especially since the rapid tests are extremely hard to find in my area.  Now, of course, I could do the test that could take 2 to 3 days but what if it doesn't come back in time?  3 days for testing would definitely relieve a lot of stress for many people but there seems to be no discussion on that. Has anyone heard anything more definite?

I’m in north fort myers and just booked a rapid test at cvs for Thursday. We are leaving on Feb.26. I’ve been assured by a friend who sailed in December that the test from cvs is accepted so have my fingers crossed. 
if you go to the CVS main site and enter zip code 33903, a ton of places pop up with multiple days and times for tests.

13 minutes ago, Pmorgen said:

I’m in north fort myers and just booked a rapid test at cvs for Thursday. We are leaving on Feb.26. I’ve been assured by a friend who sailed in December that the test from cvs is accepted so have my fingers crossed. 
if you go to the CVS main site and enter zip code 33903, a ton of places pop up with multiple days and times for tests.

I'm also going to use CVS but it's still to far out to reserve a spot for our cruise.

There are lots of openings though. 

A vlogger out there states no masks for anyone / no testing for anyone / no vax for those under 5 required on Princess. I did not read that. Has anyone?

Edited by Ombud
Changed to vlogger

6 minutes ago, Ombud said:

A vlogger out there states no masks for anyone / no testing for anyone / no vax for those under 5 required on Princess. I did not read that. Has anyone?

Considering I leave for a cruise in less than two weeks, I have not gotten any notification from Princess what so ever regarding masks or no masks.  How would a vlogger know? Just curious, not questioning you. 

Just now, Level six said:

Considering I leave for a cruise in less than two weeks, I have not gotten any notification from Princess what so ever regarding masks or no masks.  How would a vlogger know? Just curious, not questioning you. 

Well I think he's wrong but someone I know booked an April cruise with a baby based on that. Unvaccinated of course. I tried to dissuade her but was brushed off like what do I know?? (FWIW I just read updates on PCL site & CC but I watched the vlogger and he does lump Carnival & Princess together)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Well I think he's wrong but someone I know booked an April cruise with a baby based on that. Unvaccinated of course. I tried to dissuade her but was brushed off like what do I know?? (FWIW I just read updates on PCL site & CC but I watched the vlogger and he does lump Carnival & Princess together)

Can you persuade them to contact Princess before traveling? It's possible that an unvaccinated baby might be allowed but your "friend" is going to have a major disappointment if they get turned away at the port!

No. I tried. But she lives an hour from the port. My personal peeve would be getting FCC for the baby that had to be used in 12 months. I know. I have FCC for a little kid that has to be used by 12/31/22 but will expire worthless (Had cash refund + bonus FCC so not too bad)

12 hours ago, Grego said:

I don't see what the fuss is all about.  Folks booked these voyages at a time that there were mask protocols in place and happy to do so to get back on the ship and enjoy the cruise.  Now, when the situation might be changing to a more relaxed state, the concern is what will it be on their cruise since they boarded the ship before March 1st!  What difference does it make?  You booked the cruise to have a good time and it was knowing that there was a mask protocol.

What we don't know is what we don't know.  But until March 1st comes around folks will continue to get on this as an issue and forget about what is really important and that is enjoying being back on the ship.

I’m all for masks but how do you know when somebody booked a cruise? Maybe there was not a mask mandate when they booked?  I know for a fact that things changed in December requiring you to wear a mask at all times while indoors because it changed during our cruise.  I will still wear a mask because that’s what I want to do.

This was left on our beds on December 19, 2021…

74211F3C-010C-406C-8989-FDC6E7B3806B.jpeg

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser
  • Like 1

I saw a vlogger today on You Tube - Don - who updated Princess' policy.  However what he said was different than what was posted here.

- He stated starting March 1st mask will not be mandatory

- Children under 5 who can not be vaccinated will not be counted in the % of guests allowed who are unvaccinated for medical reasons.  Currently they are.  

- also testing pre cruise will be changed to 3 days prior instead of two days.

This is what Don reported (I think his channel is called cruising with don) and I am just reporting what he said.  I am not sure who the person above in the post was referring to when they mentioned a vlogger.   I would share the link, but I don't think it is allowed here.  

I have heard from a reliable source with Princess that testing will be going to 3 days too.  I hope so too.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, vickie_bernie said:

I saw a vlogger today on You Tube - Don - who updated Princess' policy.  However what he said was different than what was posted here.

- He stated starting March 1st mask will not be mandatory

- Children under 5 who can not be vaccinated will not be counted in the % of guests allowed who are unvaccinated for medical reasons.  Currently they are.  

- also testing pre cruise will be changed to 3 days prior instead of two days.

This is what Don reported (I think his channel is called cruising with don) and I am just reporting what he said.  I am not sure who the person above in the post was referring to when they mentioned a vlogger.   I would share the link, but I don't think it is allowed here.  

I have heard from a reliable source with Princess that testing will be going to 3 days too.  I hope so too.

@vickie_berniehis Channel is Don’s Family Vacations.  I watch his videos too.

• Like 1

Also, I will state again that I am boarding a cruise on March 5th and I still have not gotten any notification from Princess regarding any change to the policy.  I even got an email last night regarding OBC and it said that mask were still required. 

Don't you think Princess at the very least owes the people who booked a cruise (who didn't find out on cruise critic which is a small percentage) information about policy changes? 

• Like 3

Why can’t we all “live and let live”.  If you are comfortable wearing a mask, do so.  On the other hand if you don’t feel comfortable, DON’T!   Most of us live in a free country, so far🙏), stop judging, respect other's choices thus respect yourself.  Personally I’ve been vaccinated, boostered, do everything I can to boost my immune system.  I really don’t believe the mask protects us but that’s my opinion….I respect yours, if you don’t agree.  Just please don’t try to influence or inflict your beliefs on me.  I will listen but make my own choices.  We waste so much time on this issue,  I will be so happy to cruise again on Princess 🥰  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chamima said:

First of all, it says  testing "can be" not "has to be" so Princess can stick with the 2 days if they want.

I see a bigger problem explaining to passengers who either test positive or are contact traced to a positive case what the different protocols are.

If people couldn't understand "wear a mask when not eating or drinking" , how are they going to understand the differences in quarantining and mask wearing based on vaccination status.

When I read the protocols they all make sense medically but once again I see a logistical nightmare.

But, on the bright side, at least the CDC has relaxed their "guidance" somewhat to allow the cruise lines to consider easing their existing protocols.

As far as what people actually do on a cruise, that's their problem not ours. We have found being anti-social and treating everyone like they have "cooties" on 8 of the 9 "unmasked" Celebrity cruises we've been on so far since cruising restarted has worked well for us, especially when dining, getting into elevators or going to shows.

• Like 1

I like to start coughing as we wait for the elevator so it clears out the area and we get our private lift......LOL....really have not done that but think it would be hilarious to watch the Karen's glare and the fear people scramble.....(I'm just kidding folks)

We are so looking forward to being mask free on our cruise in a few weeks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, MTdreaming said:

Thinking those of us on the Feb 28 Enchanted Princess aren't rejoicing as much as others....I assume it will have to be a full masked cruise...dang it.

Not sure I understand the science of masking being needed on 3/2 on one cruise but not another simply based on the date the ship left it's first port? 

(Princess may say you need to mask but not sure Princess would be doing much enforcement.....now some of the judgmental passengers may start telling you to mask but that's not a big deal)

Enjoy your cruise.......

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Please share how you treat people like they have “cooties” on unmasked cruises.  We want to have a few tips on how to handle things when most may be unmasked. We will still be masked, I’m sure.  

Sure. In essence we treat it like a game. Hey, what can I say, we're on a cruise and having fun is what it's all about, right? 😎

Dining: On our first visit to our dining room, my DW makes sure the hostess and/or maitre 'd know that if at all possible we would like an empty table next to us while dining and are also very willing to sit at the most undesirable table they have. But, in order to be able to do that, we always try to come when the dining room, especially in the evening, first opens. It's amazing how accommodating they can be when you don't care what (non-window) table you sit at.

Elevators: We're in our late 60s and are still able to use the stairs whenever feasible. But if we have to walk up 4+ flights of stairs, especially after a meal, we'll take the elevator with our masks on. Now, if either unmasked or 3 or more passengers decide to enter the elevator on an in-between floor, we get off there and walk up the rest of the way. 

Main theater: When we first board and are exploring the ship, we head to the main theater and develop a strategy as to where we will sit using knowledge from past cruises if possible. On a Celebrity ship, the theaters have 3-4 levels and have a U-shaped design, so it's pretty easy to develop multiple out-of-the-way seating options. Now, on a Princess ship, their theater seating takes a little more creative thinking. But, of course, that's all part of the game.

Downtime: We always get a balcony and try to determine which cabin location will produce the most shade during the cruise, especially in the afternoon. Hanging out with a bunch of people near the pool is just not something we would do. 

Reducing stress by walking in underutilized spaces: When we first get on the ship, we also check out where the entrances to the promenade walkways are and use them, when necessary, in a crowded situation when we need to get from one end of the ship to another. If not an option, we will use the nearby stairs, walk up a flight or two, and then walk through a cabin hallway to get to the other end of the ship.

But, most importantly, we treat it like a game as we've enjoyed not getting sick on/or after a cruise for many years now. Of course, we also have no desire to mess up our cruise by getting quarantined, either by getting C19 or being traced, as we usually are on cruises that are at least 2-3+ weeks long.

Hope this helps. 

BTW did I mention I love sitting on the balcony in the shade? Well, this was a picture of our aft-facing balcony on our Celebrity Reflection B2B cruise last week and we were coming from Cozumel back to Port Everglades and there was no shade until I created some. Like I said it's all about the game and having fun!! 😎

AA62EA96-0742-4532-9791-44B24CC1B6D9.jpe

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Please share how you treat people like they have “cooties” on unmasked cruises.  We want to have a few tips on how to handle things when most may be unmasked. We will still be masked, I’m sure.  

I would recommend masking in lifts since it is a very enclosed space with no ventilation. Other than that I would only expect to see masking needed when large crowds are jammed together shoulder to shoulder 

• Like 5