R.I.P. Cruise Compass on Navigator of the Seas

seychelle

8 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

🤔 What’s wrong with the not everyone has a smart phone crowd? Not everyone has one.

I didn't say everyone does.  I just posted I was waiting for the comments about it.  But, the reality is the vast majority of people do.

8 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

I agree regarding wanting paper copies of the cruise compass.  My post was regarding the junk mail.

I realize that - no intention of being snarky with you personally - just a comment concerning where Royal's priorities are when it comes to paper and providing something useful as opposed to simply a waste of resources with junk mail.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FionaMG said:

This is me exactly. I am more than capable of using the app and find it to have its uses but reading the next day's Compass in bed before going to sleep is a ritual and a part of my overall cruise experience that I paticularly enjoy. 

AND I save them up and take them home as a souvenir. 

I would be very sad to see them go away forever.

That's funny because I do the same. I have every daily planner from every cruise I have been on since 1982.  They're in a box and someday I will take all of them out and read them

• Like 1

I could be wrong, but I would guess that most people are primarily interested in the detailed daily schedule portion of the cruise compass, as opposed to the "public service announcements" portion.  If nothing else, this could be printed on one page, as opposed to the current two-page printout, thus saving half of the paper.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I could be wrong, but I would guess that most people are primarily interested in the detailed daily schedule portion of the cruise compass, as opposed to the "public service announcements" portion.  If nothing else, this could be printed on one page, as opposed to the current two-page printout, thus saving half of the paper.

What you're suggesting would be a good transition to paperless.  God forbid people adapt...

Next they'll want us to pay the cruise fare with credit cards instead of cash...

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Yep, this is me. I don't care where the best place is to shop in port or that there is a "gold by the inch" sale in the jewelry shop. I want to know who's playing music in what lounge and what/where the daily activities are.

• Like 8

On Enchantment last month we had paper planners in our cabin every day, without asking.  I didn't hear anyone say they didn't get one, although I suspect one could opt out.

We also had paper menus in MDR, without asking.

What we did not have was junk mail.  No spa/jewelry/art auction stuff.  The best of both worlds.

Bars had a little sign on the bar, with the same three drinks listed.  There was reportedly a more complete menu, but most bartenders refused to "find" one.  I'm sure I missed out on a lot of drinks; never came close to using my four Diamond allotment.

6 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

On Enchantment last month we had paper planners in our cabin every day, without asking.  I didn't hear anyone say they didn't get one, although I suspect one could opt out.

We also had paper menus in MDR, without asking.

What we did not have was junk mail.  No spa/jewelry/art auction stuff.  The best of both worlds.

Bars had a little sign on the bar, with the same three drinks listed.  There was reportedly a more complete menu, but most bartenders refused to "find" one.  I'm sure I missed out on a lot of drinks; never came close to using my four Diamond allotment.

The bartenders will make any drink they have the ingredients for.  Even if they don't know how and you do, they will follow your instructions.  I do miss the days of bar menus only because it would remind me to try something.  I think they found a lot of people already have their favorite drink and order the same thing all the time.  

In the United States, which contains 8 percent of the world’s forests, there are more trees than there were 100 years ago. According to the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), “Forest growth nationally has exceeded harvest since the 1940s."

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, billslowsky said:

What you're suggesting would be a good transition to paperless.  God forbid people adapt...

Next they'll want us to pay the cruise fare with credit cards instead of cash...

I'm willing to bet quite a few people in this thread still write checks at the grocery store.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

In the United States, which contains 8 percent of the world’s forests, there are more trees than there were 100 years ago. According to the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), “Forest growth nationally has exceeded harvest since the 1940s."

That report is from 22 years ago.  I wonder if the same is still true.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BND said:

The bartenders will make any drink they have the ingredients for.  Even if they don't know how and you do, they will follow your instructions.  I do miss the days of bar menus only because it would remind me to try something.  I think they found a lot of people already have their favorite drink and order the same thing all the time.  

Being a novice drinker, I would still like to see a menu, peruse the ingredients, and decide if I want to try something different from the four I can also make easily at home.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, njkruzer said:

On the app you have to look under each item, no "Cruise Compass" to click on.  

The App is fine for what it was designed for. It is not a Cruise Compass and definitely does not replace it as designed! Many things in the Cruise Compass that are not in the App!!! 😡

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Scotty G said:

The App is fine for what it was designed for. It is not a Cruise Compass and definitely does not replace it as designed! Many things in the Cruise Compass that are not in the App!!! 😡

Agree

• Like 1

They should give folks the option to print these out at home a day or two before the cruise, menus as well, win-win for everyone. Those who need a hard copy can print them and bring them along if it's critical for their cruise enjoyment. However, I suspect that many who complain about it wouldn't even bother and would simply end up using the app when all is said and done. Either way, it's an option and choices are a good thing IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just off the Allure and they were all digital too.  Where they used to be near Guest Services there's a laminated paper saying to use the app.  I did see the stateroom attendants had a small quantity, so perhaps if you ask you'll be able to get a copy in the stateroom. 

I much prefer the print compasses to the app, even as someone who prefers digital anything and everything.  I don't find the app to be user friendly and it's cumbersome to navigate through activities.  I like the idea of PDF copies or a way to opt in to print if you so desire.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mek said:

That's funny because I do the same. I have every daily planner from every cruise I have been on since 1982.  They're in a box and someday I will take all of them out and read them

I can’t imagine caring about the cruise compass from 1996.  I mean if it fell on my desk, I might glance at it and smile, but to actually store and keep the paper, no way!  I have scanned several for sharing to help other people here, but even though I have an easily accessible digital version, I never actually read them.

I think these activities are the sorts of things, that I have discovered helping my DW clean out her mother’s house with all sorts of similar treasures.  Do your children/heirs a favor and toss them away!  My MIL has ever birthday / Xmas / sympathy / get well / happy retirement / etc card ever received in boxes.  Along with the wrapping paper from every present.  My MIL is 95.  Please consider my advice for your children’s sake.

jc

• Like 6

It should be an option, where those that want the printed copies can get them throughout the cruise - and others fine with just using the app can just view info there. 

I'm in IT - and there are some things I still feel are easier to review printed than on my phone or laptop. 

We like having a printed Cruise Compass to review at night for the next day.  The app looks like it'll be great for scheduling things - but some info you want to see all together and not by scrolling through page after page. 

We also love our Smart phones.  I just got the iPhone 13 Plus max - and I love the camera.  We no longer lug a digital camera with us when we travel, as the photos we take on our phones are great.

And since my husband and I are both in IT - for the snarky ones that joked that those of us that want  printed Cruise Compasses must still use checks at the grocery store - I haven't seen anyone do that in years!  I do NOT miss balancing a checkbook. My husband and I have worked on the development of web and phone applications....  So please keep comments directed at those of us that are older to yourself - or troll elsewhere. 

Edited by moonltnite
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, little britain said:

They tried this on Grandeur too but there have been so many complaints ( mostly about not knowing what the dress code was for the evening… let’s be honest it isn’t in the most obvious place in the app!) they they are being handed out again. 

Are you on the Grandeur out of Barbados? Anything of interest to report....on her in April. Thanks

I am a scrap booker and love using the printed copies as part of my scrap books.  I do recycle the sections I don't use.  Can the cruiselines use recycled paper to print copies for those of us who want them?