Ukraine

joehick

Apparently  the cruise lines are concerned, as they are cancelling calls to SPB and in the Black Sea.  Have you done any reading here?  Lots of discussion about itinerary changes on the various cruise line boards.  
As to the rest of Europe?  No, not me.  But it will be more expensive.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Absolutely have concerns but are still heading to Europe (on a TA) later this month.  We actually are not concerned about the cruise but rather the 3 weeks we intend to spend in Europe (much of which will be a driving trip) post cruise.   

As a long time (over 4 decades) world traveler we are used to going to parts of the world where there were various issues (including conflicts).  Since we tend to be independent travelers we do our best to prepare and will sometimes alter our plans/itinerary to deal with events on the ground.  The situation with Ukraine is truly awful and may well alter some of our plans.  But at this point nobody knows how this will all play out and whether it becomes an even worse situation or whether some sanity will prevail.  So we will continue with our plans (which include France, Czech Republic and driving into parts of Germany and Poland) while keeping the ability to make changes.  Such is the life of many adventurous travelers.   

I would just add that our hearts go out to all those in Ukraine (and those who have fled that country).  There is nothing we can say or do to alter their situation but these folks are in our prayers.  As to Russia (we have been there 3 times) I cannot think of anything good to say about their leader or people.  I know that many want to separate the leadership from the real people, but folks need to take responsibility for their own country and their deeds.

Hank

I'm actually more concerned about heading to the USA before we head to Europe - we are supposed to be cursing from there. If war spreads further than the Ukrainian-  to NATO countries - the nukes aren't targeting Poland or Moldova - they are targeting NYC and Washington DC ... 

I don' t think it will come to that - so I'm not changing my travel plans to spend 6 weeks in  Hungary and the Balkans  between cruises  -but panicking about European travel (excluding Ukraine and Russia ) is nonsensical  if you live in the US or UK . Personally I'd be safer not in the northern hemisphere if it went nuclear - but  I grew up with the Cold War I don't live my life in fear 

Edited by lissie

2 hours ago, lissie said:

I'm actually more concerned about heading to the USA before we head to Europe - we are supposed to be cursing from there. If war spreads further than the Ukrainian-  to NATO countries - the nukes aren't targeting Poland or Moldova - they are targeting NYC and Washington DC ... 

I don' t think it will come to that - so I'm not changing my travel plans to spend 6 weeks in  Hungary and the Balkans  between cruises  -but panicking about European travel (excluding Ukraine and Russia ) is nonsensical  if you live in the US or UK . Personally I'd be safer not in the northern hemisphere if it went nuclear - but  I grew up with the Cold War I don't live my life in fear 

I assume that you have seen the movie On the Beach.

DON

• Like 2

I am a bit concerned about travel in Europe at this time. Most of the countries though, have been little affected except for the bordering countries. I was hoping to visit my cousins in Poland. Although it is safe at this time, every city, town, and village is consumed by the refugees. There are at least fifty refugees living at the school in my cousin's small village. I just don't want my needs to come before the needs of the refugees. I sent them the money I would have been using on travel to care for the refugees. 

• Like 11

14 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Pretty stupid post by Rick Steves. All cruises with a Russian port (normally SPB) have been changed, so there was no reason for him to cancel anything.

The tour was 2 nights Helsinki, 2 nights Tallinn and 4 nights SPB.  Not as easy to rework a tour as a port

13 minutes ago, yogini06 said:

The tour was 2 nights Helsinki, 2 nights Tallinn and 4 nights SPB.  Not as easy to rework a tour as a port

If it was a land tour, then obviously you are correct.

I just assumed that as we are on a cruise forum,  a cruise was involved !

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

If it was a land tour, then obviously you are correct.

I just assumed that as we are on a cruise forum,  a cruise was involved !

Since Rick Steves is mostly known in North America, your lack of knowledge that his brand only does land tours is excusable. The use of the word "tour" and not "cruise" might have been a tip off. But did you read the rest of the blog? He absolutely stands behind sanctions against Russia, but he also is making a point that travels in Europe outside the conflict areas should be encouraged.

• Like 3

We are looking for something in Europe but I do think many will cancel or not book . Our daughter and her family of four had a Baltic cruise but canceled because of no SPB. I also think prices will go down in Europe as the summer gets closer.

12 hours ago, mom says said:

Since Rick Steves is mostly known in North America, your lack of knowledge that his brand only does land tours is excusable. The use of the word "tour" and not "cruise" might have been a tip off. But did you read the rest of the blog? He absolutely stands behind sanctions against Russia, but he also is making a point that travels in Europe outside the conflict areas should be encouraged.

Rick used to be critical of cruising in Europe- until he tried one. Now, he recognizes them as a different way to get around. He even wrote two books of cruising in Europe. Good advice, but nothing beats Cruise Critic. 

• Like 2

Agree that Rick Steves was never a big fan of cruising.  We often recommend his books for fellow independent travelers although we suggest ignoring most of his restaurant and hotel suggestions.  My concern (since we posted a few days ago) regarding our 3 weeks on land (in April-May) has only increased and we are already considering some changes to our driving itinerary.  Until yesterday we had given lots of thought about driving to Krakow, but we might avoid that part of Poland depending on what we hear between now and May.   But we still have no anxiety about our TA and Med cruise.

Hank

• Like 1

@Hlitner.  I can see why you might be hesitant now about travelling to Poland. I doubt it would be unsafe, but given the huge, ongoing, influx of Ukrainian refugees, it may present a whole new set of logistical problems.

We leave for Europe in a couple weeks (not a cruise).  The situation is fluid.  We will continue to watch closely.  If things escalate or look like they might escalate to a point we are concerned or even where resources might need to be diverted, we will not go.  

On 3/9/2022 at 7:24 PM, lissie said:

I got news for ya.  If nukes start flying toward the US, the world as we know is done.  It won't matter where you are cruising.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I got news for ya.  If nukes start flying toward the US, the world as we know is done.  It won't matter where you are cruising.  

Which is why I added the second paragraph you didn't quote: 

On 3/10/2022 at 4:24 PM, lissie said:

I'm not concerned that much, if at all, about my July/August barge cruise and land tripping.  It's all in France and Italy.  I've been in parts of Italy when refugees come in from the boats - it's truly sad, but unless you are hunkering down with them, you can avoid, just like the masses of homeless camping in the streets in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle.  

All my reservations, including my airfare, are fully refundable and the hotels weren't prepaid.  That was part of my strategy this year, more for COVID than war.  I wasn't planning on going further East than Bologna.   If I was on a cruise, I might think twice about stops in Turkey - Russia tried to go through the Bosporus the other day but Turkey denied access.   

I’ll be interested in seeing how long the European “populists” take to react to the influx of refugees and the financial upset that is occurring due to the sanctions and gas shortages. I suspect that groups with roots in Pegita will (re)establish themselves in Germany and parties like National Rally in France will see the coming months as opportune times to peddle their ideology. 

It could be a repeat of 2015, and if it is it won’t be pleasant. Their actions will affect tourists. 

6 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

I’ll be interested in seeing how long the European “populists” take to react to the influx of refugees and the financial upset that is occurring due to the sanctions and gas shortages

I see little reason why there shouid be any backlash against the refugee situation.  The whole of Europe is united in welcoming those displaced by the war. 

There is, admittedly anger here in the UK, but it is because our inept government is not doing enough to help refugees get to  Britain. It comes to something when our right wing newspapers chastise the government for the lack of response to the refugee crisis !