The Daily for Friday 03/25/2022

richwmn

About the quote today.  To me there are two types of books.  There are the take me away and then throw me away.  You read it, it takes you on a journey and then you give it to a friend, or a used book store.   No need to revisit.

And then there is the other type of book.  Where the book becomes the friend, regardless of the tale it tells, it's a place that you want to be over and over again.  I have a few of these,  Lord Of the Rings trilogy,  And Ladies of the Club,  and Rebecca.   I am going to add the Midnight Library to my go to list, only because it has so much philosophy in it.

And I guess there is that third group of books.  The ones that every list tells you that  you must read.  So you buy it, you skim through the front and back, you read the flap description, you put it on the shelf, and even when you are bored beyond tears , you look at it, and say...eh.  And this is why one room in my house is known as "the library". 

Good Morning Dailyites, it's Friday, F! and F2  are on this weekend,  I am not working tomorrow, I decided to take a full weekend off, and while it will be chilly and cool, I might get out and actually tackle some yard work.  Of course if my cloud is not fixed today, I may have to work tomorrow.

• Like 26

Good morning friends!  Once we exercised we have nothing on the agenda today except to relax at home.  I said my prayers for all in need, those on the Care list, my relatives, and especially the good people of Ukraine who are bravely fighting for their country.  Thanks for the lists today Roy

and thanks Rich @richwmnfor the Daily.  Cheers for those on the Celebration/Shout Out list.  🥂

The fish fry today looks good.  I always make a point of eating fish and chips when in England.  When we were growing up there were many local Friday fish fries at churches and places like the V.F.W. halls.  My twin tells me they still go to the fish fries at our old spots since she still lives in St. Louis.  It's a good day to honor the Feast of the Annunciation, pecans and waffles.  When our children were growing up we had waffles and pancakes often during the week.  DS still makes pancakes for his boys every Sunday morning.  Once in a while he will substitute the waffles instead.  Thank you Graham @grapau27for the link between the waffles and feast day.

@Cruzin TerriI'm glad to read your levels were better so you can wean yourself off the prednisone, and that DH has BS which can be taken care of after your cruise.  Your blue bubble for Sue and her DH looks like this @Rowsbythough.  Not sure who the other person was.

Suva, Viti Levu, Fiji Islands was posted last on Nov. 26, 2021.  I haven't been to Fiji at all but would love to.  Hope we see some new photos today!  Everyone enjoy your day.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

Good Friday morning.  Thank you @richwmnfor our Daily.  I disagree with the quote.  I love to read, and rarely read the same book twice.  We are going to have fish from our local club tonight.  Have not been to the destination, it's on our bucket list.

Question?  does anyone know when HAL will release their cruises for February 2024 leaving San Diego.  Only one listed right now.

Thank you @rafinmdfor the care and celebrations lists.  Prayers and toasts to those.

Please continue to stay safe.

Sideline Sipper:

Ingredients
1 part Cruzan® Tropical Fruit Rum
½ part DeKuyper® Blue Curacao
1 part Lemonade
½ part Soda

Instructions
Build over ice in a tall glass. Top with lemonade and soda. Stir and serve.

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 8.47.13 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 10

5 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

That was the only option I got.  Sorry for choosing the wrong person.

Terri

It's just an FYI.  I really like when someone has an avatar to help us choose correctly (like your name). 

Sometimes people mistake me for a name almost exactly like mine @St Louis Cruiser.  Not me!  That person signed up but have NO posts!   I always wonder what their backstory is!

• Like 17

Good morning everyone. I signed the papers for the new home care agency yesterday and the change happens Monday. Meanwhile all the stress has made me have a reaction to a cream used for a fungal infection and I was up all night itching like crazy.Had to cancel my PT for an emergency visit to the dermatologist today. I’ve used this cream in the past with no problem. I also have a cold sore on my lip. There is so much tension here between Sam’s recovery from his finger surgery and the changing aides. The owner of the agency we use now will be here Monday AM to supervise while the present aide packs up and leaves. Can’t wait.

Prayers for all who need them,

Carol

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  While I don't actively celebrate today's feast day, I do remember having special prayers at school for our Holy Mother.  We rarely have pecans, and I gave away our waffle iron a number of years ago.  Now if we want waffles, we either have to go to a restaurant, or toss an Eggo in the toaster.

I'm among the group of people who once I've read a book, it's gone.  I really don't see any sense in keeping it, as I've enjoyed it, now it's time for someone else to as well.

Well, with all the problems the Daily women seem to be having with our DH's, I'm finally able to pass along some good news about mine.  During yesterday's tele-visit with the cardiologist, he says there's nothing at this time to indicate DH needs a pace maker.  Woo Hoo!   He's prescribed a nitro patch for DH to wear ("Put it anywhere that doesn't have hair" - LOL) for his angina, and that's about it.  When DH asked him about his lack of zippity do dah, the cardiologist reminded him of his age and that his body was just slowing down naturally.  I guess we can live with that, and it means DH will just get used to having naps.   Now we have to wait 3 months until he's officially "stable" and we can start looking at cruises again . . . yay!

@erewhonI am so sad for you over the loss of Polly.  Those little paws leave the biggest holes in our heart when they cross the Rainbow Bridge.

@Cruzin Terrigreat news about your numbers and the fact that you'll be able to wean yourself from the prednisone.

@kazu I'm sorry to hear that Marley is deteriorating so quickly; hopefully you have some better days ahead.  Take pictures now so you can have them for later - that's something you won't regret.  Keeping my fingers crossed that you are able to get Jose into your first choice of care facilities.

I have to tell you last night I made Philly Cheesesteaks and we both loved them!  I had some hot dog buns that I toasted instead of the larger hoagies, and they worked very well.  It'll definitely go on the menu selection, as they were quick, easy, and delicious.  The only thing is we don't often have steaks in our freezer, mostly chicken ground beef and salmon.   I like a good fish fry, the best ones are when you catch them and cook them in a ton of butter on the beach for a "shore lunch".  Unfortunately, surrounded by snow and ice, we won't be doing that any time soon, LOL.    It's Friday night pizza night at our house, so this afternoon we'll peruse the take-out menus online and see what appeals to us.  Pizza's what will be on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  We're saying extra prayers for Ukraine and all those who are providing aid in all forms.  Extra for our Daily family who are suffering health issues as well.  We'll clink the glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be safe, get your boosters, wash your hands, wear your masks, and stay well!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

@kazuI hope the vet can help Marley, I hope he is not suffering.  Sending you prayers.🙏

Thanks.  he shouldn’t be suffering with the meds.  If he is, it’s game over.

44 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'm really sorry to hear about poor Marley's problems today.  Let's hope the meds help him out.  Praying for him and of course you, his Mom Jacqui.  Take care!  

Thanks.

21 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

During yesterday's tele-visit with the cardiologist, he says there's nothing at this time to indicate DH needs a pace maker.  Woo Hoo!   He's prescribed a nitro patch for DH to wear ("Put it anywhere that doesn't have hair" - LOL) for his angina, and that's about it.  When DH asked him about his lack of zippity do dah, the cardiologist reminded him of his age and that his body was just slowing down naturally.  I guess we can live with that, and it means DH will just get used to having naps.   

Yippee 🙂. that’s good news indeed 👍 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

It is late morning here sunny and 62°F.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Thank you Roy for the various lists.

Interesting days.

Once Pauline or  I read a book we never re-read it. 

Food sounds nice but not sure about the drink.

Fiji sounds exotic and to far away for us but it will be nice to see photos.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who they will help.

I hope everyone has a nice day and weekend.

Our clocks go forward 1 hour at 2am Sunday morning in the UK.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220325_113132.jpg

Screenshot_20220325_113322.jpg

Graham thank you for the lesson on connecting Annunciation Day with Waffle Day.  I surprised DH this morning with waffles and read to him your explanation.  He enjoyed both the waffles and the explanation.

Terri

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Happy Friday! I like waffles but not pecans. DH loves them so he gets them all from the jar of mixed nuts. I love reading books and will read certain ones over and over and over. I have a paperback my mom gave me in the late 70’s that I must have read 100 times by now. 

Love the drink but not the wine - I’ve tried sherry and it doesn’t appeal to me. Same with fish - yuck. DH would have fish every day if I could stand the smell. Since moving to Tennessee, he has had the catfish many times and is quite taken with it. 

My heart breaks for those here who have lost their pets or whose pets are ill (Marley). They live such short lives. 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

You were in Suva in 1918?    Ee gads!!!!

Wow!  I was busy this morning and should have looked before I posted.

@kazu, such sad news on Marley.  Prayers for the best.

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all. I read books once, electronically, and never again. So sorry to hear about so many pet family members are doing poorly or leaving their caring family. 
We were in Suva on March 4, 2020 just before you know what happened. AE5BFF87-3CF9-44FC-A72D-2DDAFC2FEDEE.thumb.jpeg.1a9c0fd9348cb0dd6c3cf2351f0fa7d6.jpeg

256B6005-CCB1-4DC8-99BC-1DBF283A9B7A.thumb.jpeg.af6c3a7ab9848a7f17887687a40ed67d.jpeg

E380962E-B097-4A3E-9DF5-051F8E339463.thumb.jpeg.d7c7fd06fdfa336e26735e4065c363bf.jpeg

46330190-7D6C-46F3-A993-E634C68EEE42.thumb.jpeg.bfbde103392c53cf92fe4c791ecb3571.jpeg

DB4734ED-F0D2-47FF-81E9-36E3BC774B2A.thumb.jpeg.2d07fb18d103514d2b406a9b45171966.jpeg

A5EC1BFD-74CD-44CE-91FF-6438ED8DD5DA.thumb.jpeg.1e61fd8f8e8c286b8a1d301bb38fca84.jpeg

6B0A8A1B-C9E1-4051-8AD0-B6AF8F1E641D.thumb.jpeg.8a20a9b92943e92670de24fb13ccfcf2.jpeg

That’s the Maasdam in the background 😢

2E7ACC6A-96BE-4A8A-8951-27E81833949B.thumb.jpeg.1478f5de7b73514da26b2b92f281a9d4.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 8

Going to be warm day here, but "they" are threatening rain/snow next week. Hope the roofers keep working at the shelter. We do need that roof fixed.

Jacqui... I know it is the "or....." that is so stressful right now. I know you are doing your best for Marley and I hope the meds help.

Little news here. I would love waffles today but my waffle maker was sent to the thrift store ages ago and I don't feel like going out. I will indulge in the fried fish this evening. I need to start clearing out the freezer. I have had a air fryer for years, and I love it. Fish and chicken are quick and easy. Have not been to Fiji.... maybe in 2024.

Susan

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I have to tell you last night I made Philly Cheesesteaks and we both loved them!  I had some hot dog buns that I toasted instead of the larger hoagies, and they worked very well.  It'll definitely go on the menu selection, as they were quick, easy, and delicious.  The only thing is we don't often have steaks in our freezer, mostly chicken ground beef and salmon.

No reason you can't make chicken cheesesteaks!  This is an easy recipe from a site I like.  https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a50063/chicken-cheesesteaks-recipe/

I decrease the amount of bell pepper and sub in some other type (jalapeno) when making for my husband.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the daily and the lists. It always feels like home to be able to get back and read the news. I'm so sorry to hear of the pets that have passed and are sick. They are such a part of our lives!
@ger_77 that is good news about your DH. My brother-in-law was feeling really blah, too, after he had a heart attack. They ended up changing some of his medications, and that definitely helped him.

I wish I'd read the thread before breakfast! I made muffins instead of waffles. Oh well. Supper will be fish and fries from our local restaurant. We still do takeout to support our local businesses. @puppycanducruise masking is still going strong in our neck of the woods too. With the cloud of BA2 hovering, I'm glad. We're staying in still because we have a trip to visit DD in Cairo at the end of April, and an Alaskan cruise at the end of May. We want to stay healthy so both can happen!

Thanks again for being a good spot to land! Prayers for all who need them, and even those who don't think they do.

• Like 27

Good morning all!

Interesting collection of days today.  I'll take a pass on pecans but like waffles. DS gave me a Belgian Waffle maker a couple years ago.  It isn't used often, but we do  enjoy them. 

I just printed out the Rachael Ray recipe, that's what we'll have for dinner tonight.  Sounds good!  Will pass on the sherry and drink, disagree with the quote, and will hopefully be at the port on the Grand Australia in 2024.  Thanks to all who post photos!

@Cruzin Terrigreat news about your blood work!  I don't blame you for wanting to get off the prednisone. 

@kazuso sorry to hear about Marley's latest problem. I hope the meds help -- so, so hard I know!

@ger_77good news from your DH's cardiologist about no pacemaker!  

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

@kazu I hope the vet can help Marley.  DH the furbabies and I are all sending prayers your way.

I am not a person who believes that lesser animals than us humans dont feel sadness or loss.  I was driving home late one night after choir practice and a car had hit a possum in the road.  She. he was just lying there, and it's mate was trying to drag it off the road.  I stopped the car, and cried.  But I also blocked traffic long enough for the two critters to get out of the road.  I saw how Tazi changed after the Big Fuzzy her pal passed,  she hisses at every other cat, and demands to sleep right next to me.

Fawn's stray disappeared 3 weeks ago, and she has begun doing walk about every few hours, along with chasing the three new cats someone dumped in the hood.

After the donut and bird seed run, I came home and rearranged all the feeders, so that the squirrels really have to work at getting food, and now we have feeders on three sides of the house, so we (and the fur babies) can watch birds all the time.   I hope the birds can find them....  and now "cloud" willing I'm going to work.

• Like 27

Good morning, all! I love waffles, but DH doesn’t. It’s hardly worth the trouble of making a small enough batch for one. Then I found out I can freeze them and use them like Eggo waffles later on. 
We came over to Salt Spring a few days ago, forgetting it was spring break! The ferry overloads were ridiculous. Luckily we had food, water, books, and fully charged phones to keep us entertained. Given the plight of thousands of refugees with much longer travel delay waits under horrific conditions, we had nothing to complain about. Then we’ve been busy cleaning up after winter and setting up for spring. I completely forgot about putting up the hummingbird feeders. Then they got impatient and started buzzing me as a reminder.

Ive missed a lot in a few days. @erewhon, my condolences on Polly’s passing. Losing a pet leaves a hole in your heart that nothing else fills. @kazumy fingers are crossed that the vet can ease Marley’s pain and give you both more quality time together. @mamaofami, I hope the transition between aides goes smoothly, and the new one is as good as she sounds! It’s reassuring that the supervisor will be there to oversee the current aide packing and leaving. @ger_77, that’s great news that your DH will not need a pacemaker!
Happy Friday, everyone. Finally being back on the island ALMOST makes up for not being aboard a BHB!

600ACA8D-E1F7-49FA-9949-F322D32B2885.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2