The Daily for Saturday 03/26/2022

richwmn

2 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from the Koningsdam.  We're sitting off Santa Barbara, and I'm not sure about going ashore today.  It is very overcast and foggy.  We can see a little more of town but still not much.  DH has been to Santa Barbara, but I haven't.  I may wait until next week to go ashore.

Our covid test was very early this morning, and we're both negative. 👍 Sadly, I cannot say the same of at least one person who was tested shortly before we were.  We think there are other cases on board as several people were coughing in the Lido this morning.  Fortunately, all but 40 are getting off tomorrow, and now two more will be leaving after one tested positive. 

Sadly, more and more people on board don't wear their masks even in the elevators.  They are still required in the tenders.  I hope the Captain tightens the mask requirements, but I'm not holding my breath.  To avoid unnecessary risk, we spend most of our time in the cabin and have a table for two in the MDR.

We wear our masks whenever we leave the cabin.  In places where we are not sitting close to others we might remove our masks, but probably not so much now.  About the only time we took off our masks on shore was in the golf cart yesterday.  Otherwise, we stay masked when off the ship.

An interesting collection of days.  I hope to live long and prosper with good health.  For my holiday, I think I'll also celebrate International Dailyite Day, and honor a place and group who have greatly helped make the last two years better. I'll take my spinach raw in a salad, but don't serve me cooked spinach.  Ironically, spinach must not be too expensive and is plentiful since it shows up almost everyday at dinner.

The quote is very true, and we read to our DDs everyday until they could read on their own.

We'll pass on the meal, drink  and wine.  

We have not been to Albany, Australia, but hope to get there someday.  @tjcox9 and @StLouisCruisers Thank you for sharing your pictures.

@kazu  Jacqui, I wish there was a way to ease your pain.  I know that losing your last pet is even harder. When our Nikki died, we donated her beds to an animal rescue shelter where they would use them for dogs recovering from surgery.  Know that we all are mourning Marley, and are sending love and big virtual hugs.

@smitty34877  Terry, thaks for another great picture of Camilla.

@grapau27  Graham, I'm sorry Pauline has Covid, and I hope she is over it soon.  I also hope you continue to test negative.  Your new cruise sounds nice.

@aliaschief  Bruce, I'm sorry you tested positive.  I hope it is a mild case, and you feel better soon.

@summer slope  The air fryer I have is Emeri's that looks a lot like the InstantPot or PowerXL that has three racks.  At the time I bought it, it seemed the sturdiest and best built.  I have not been disappointed with it.  I'm not sure if that model is still available. 

Lenda

Thank you for your nice words Lenda.

On our P&O Iona cruise March 5th-19th all the passengers and crew were required to wear masks everywhere including the Theatre where social distancing was enforced.

While seated in bars, restaurants and lounges passengers were allowed to take their masks off.

Some people were not wearing masks and the captain twice made tannoy announcements telling everyone to wear masks with no exceptions.

I hope you both stay safe and continue to enjoy your cruise.

Graham. 

• Like 16

5 minutes ago, Norseh2o said:

Catching up with The Daily this morning in the Crow’s Nest on the Zuiderdam. Missed celebrating Waffles Day yesterday with a waffle, but have certainly had my share of waffles on this nice 35 day cruise. Spinach is good, especially fresh as a salad with bacon & egg, enjoyed a few Star Trek episodes, & enjoy reading a fairy tale, especially with children! A view of the ship’s library, no fairy tales?!

5D0CECA4-348C-43AA-9A93-531867DA5DED.thumb.jpeg.448ccb9e66de2ead04ba747d6d85b58f.jpeg

35 day cruise sounds amazing.

I hope you are having an amazing time.

Graham.

• Like 12

Good Afternoon All, thanks for the daily report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounded interesting and @dfish recipes look good like something I’d enjoy.  Definitely a Star Trek fan here starting with the original series.  Just wish the new series didn’t require a subscription.  During the week I took a walk around the house and noticed cracks on the kitchen vent cover.  Replaced it today.  The old one fell apart as I touched it.   I hope everyone has a good weekend.

• Like 19

1 hour ago, garlictown said:

Tony @sailingdutchy~~could be a false positive???😲 This happened to my husband's aunt when she was in FL and she 'redid" the test. We were 100% certain that there was no way she could have Covid. 👍Turned out she was actually negative. 

Could you request for another test onboard?

Katie

I  was  thinking  the  same thing.

Jim.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

@smitty34877 Camilla is so adorable. Thanks for sharing the photos.

@aliaschief, @sailingdutchy, Pauline. - sorry to hear about you Covid cases. Hope you have light cases and get well quickly.

For those who lost precious fur babies, my deepest sympathy.

We had our 2nd boosters yesterday. Moderna after 3 Pfizer. DH has a sore arm. I have body aches, low-grade fever, fatigue and sore arm. This is the same as happened to me after 2nd and 3rd Pfizer shots. DH has always just had sore arm.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Doing a quick check-in before heading over to watch sail-away on the PE webcam.  

@grapau27I'm sorry to hear Pauline has tested positive; hopefully she'll bounce back soon and you two will be able to enjoy travel again.

@sailingdutchyI hope you can get re-tested to see if it was a false positive.  Did you bring any rapid antigen tests with you from home, just in case?   Might be worthwhile checking into it before they remove you and Martha from the ship.  Also, if you are disembarked, and find yourself in a less than suitable hotel, contact HAL guest services and express your displeasure - as another CC'er has done.

@smitty34877I just know Miss Camilla is going to be a stunner!

Stay well everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Doing a quick check-in before heading over to watch sail-away on the PE webcam.  

@grapau27I'm sorry to hear Pauline has tested positive; hopefully she'll bounce back soon and you two will be able to enjoy travel again.

@sailingdutchyI hope you can get re-tested to see if it was a false positive.  Did you bring any rapid antigen tests with you from home, just in case?   Might be worthwhile checking into it before they remove you and Martha from the ship.  Also, if you are disembarked, and find yourself in a less than suitable hotel, contact HAL guest services and express your displeasure - as another CC'er has done.

@smitty34877I just know Miss Camilla is going to be a stunner!

Stay well everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Many thanks Gerry.

Graham.

• Like 9

50 minutes ago, srdancer said:

We had our 2nd boosters yesterday. Moderna after 3 Pfizer. DH has a sore arm. I have body aches, low-grade fever, fatigue and sore arm. This is the same as happened to me after 2nd and 3rd Pfizer shots. DH has always just had sore arm.

I had my 4th shot this morning, Moderna (all have been Moderna). So far just a sore arm, but I had some fatigue and body aches in the past with them, so I'll see. I hope you're feeling better by tomorrow!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

For all my Dailyite family who have suffered the loss of a beloved four pawed family member recently:

We all know that pets cross the Rainbow Bridge directly into heaven, without judgement or delay. We also know humans can’t take that path.

Some say that when a much loved pet crosses the bridge, they carry a piece of your soul with them. That is why the hole in your heart is so big. When you finally leave this world, the animals who loved you gather together and assemble the pieces they have been keeping. You suddenly wake up in heaven with all your delighted pets. Your presence in heaven will never be disputed, because all the best parts of you crossed the Rainbow Bridge long ago and have been in Heaven all along.

46E05FA1-FC96-40D8-AB54-ABF54DA5C523.thumb.jpeg.62d5a261b7536b1b61ecab0d5a36dbc1.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

For all my Dailyite family who have suffered the loss of a beloved four pawed family member recently:

We all know that pets cross the Rainbow Bridge directly into heaven, without judgement or delay. We also know humans can’t take that path.

Some say that when a much loved pet crosses the bridge, they carry a piece of your soul with them. That is why the hole in your heart is so big. When you finally leave this world, the animals who loved you gather together and assemble the pieces they have been keeping. You suddenly wake up in heaven with all your delighted pets. Your presence in heaven will never be disputed, because all the best parts of you crossed the Rainbow Bridge long ago and have been in Heaven all along.

46E05FA1-FC96-40D8-AB54-ABF54DA5C523.thumb.jpeg.62d5a261b7536b1b61ecab0d5a36dbc1.jpeg

Love this ❤️ 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, garlictown said:

Tony @sailingdutchy~~could be a false positive???😲 This happened to my husband's aunt when she was in FL and she 'redid" the test. We were 100% certain that there was no way she could have Covid. 👍Turned out she was actually negative. 

Could you request for another test onboard?

Katie

Thank you so much trying to help . I have asked for a retest and they will not do that . 
I feel completely like I always am , no headache , fever , or bad cough .

this is the first time in about 30 cruises with HAL , our favorite line , that I am starting to get upset with them . It took 3 hours and 3 phone calls to get our breakfast delivered . 
phone calls to guest services or in cabin dining are not being answered and such is the case also with our in solitary neighbours , there is a whole row and two levels of us .

one of the neighbours who is diabetic had to call 911 to get food , which is normally for the medical centre, otherwise his wife would have to call them if it was too late for him ………

Sorry to have to be so negative today , that is not my normal me !  

Tony

• Like 8
  • Thanks 21

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from the Koningsdam.  We're sitting off Santa Barbara, and I'm not sure about going ashore today.  It is very overcast and foggy.  We can see a little more of town but still not much.  DH has been to Santa Barbara, but I haven't.  I may wait until next week to go ashore.

Our covid test was very early this morning, and we're both negative. 👍 Sadly, I cannot say the same of at least one person who was tested shortly before we were.  We think there are other cases on board as several people were coughing in the Lido this morning.  Fortunately, all but 40 are getting off tomorrow, and now two more will be leaving after one tested positive. 

Sadly, more and more people on board don't wear their masks even in the elevators.  They are still required in the tenders.  I hope the Captain tightens the mask requirements, but I'm not holding my breath.  To avoid unnecessary risk, we spend most of our time in the cabin and have a table for two in the MDR.

We wear our masks whenever we leave the cabin.  In places where we are not sitting close to others we might remove our masks, but probably not so much now.  About the only time we took off our masks on shore was in the golf cart yesterday.  Otherwise, we stay masked when off the ship.

An interesting collection of days.  I hope to live long and prosper with good health.  For my holiday, I think I'll also celebrate International Dailyite Day, and honor a place and group who have greatly helped make the last two years better. I'll take my spinach raw in a salad, but don't serve me cooked spinach.  Ironically, spinach must not be too expensive and is plentiful since it shows up almost everyday at dinner.

The quote is very true, and we read to our DDs everyday until they could read on their own.

We'll pass on the meal, drink  and wine.  

We have not been to Albany, Australia, but hope to get there someday.  @tjcox9 and @StLouisCruisers Thank you for sharing your pictures.

@kazu  Jacqui, I wish there was a way to ease your pain.  I know that losing your last pet is even harder. When our Nikki died, we donated her beds to an animal rescue shelter where they would use them for dogs recovering from surgery.  Know that we all are mourning Marley, and are sending love and big virtual hugs.

@smitty34877  Terry, thaks for another great picture of Camilla.

@grapau27  Graham, I'm sorry Pauline has Covid, and I hope she is over it soon.  I also hope you continue to test negative.  Your new cruise sounds nice.

@aliaschief  Bruce, I'm sorry you tested positive.  I hope it is a mild case, and you feel better soon.

@summer slope  The air fryer I have is Emeri's that looks a lot like the InstantPot or PowerXL that has three racks.  At the time I bought it, it seemed the sturdiest and best built.  I have not been disappointed with it.  I'm not sure if that model is still available. 

Lenda

i agree 100 % with you Lenda that HAL dropped the ball by eliminating the mask requirement indoors . Too many people are reckless and pick up the virus on tours after they get on board ship . 

the captain on the Nieuw Statendam supposedly has reinstated those rules after all the cases showed up yesterday . 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, marshhawk said:

I'm one of those folks who look for all those little articles about Covid, you know the ones that are not making the news, because every one is sick of hearing about being sick.  I nag the DH about wearing a mask, I nag my friends about wearing a mask,  and while I have three cruises booked, I'm still anxious because I'm tired of seeing people being tired about caring for others.  I have lost friendships  over the last two years, they think I'm weird for being afraid of Covid. I am not scared of Covid, I'm scared of them.  I read this morning about the waiting game the government is playing right now about getting our second booster.  They don't want it out too early because it might not be right, and if they put it out too late, well, then it's too late.

I am so sorry for my Daily family who have come down with this over the last week.  I know you have been boostered, and should only get a mild case, but it's still a case you shouldn't have gotten, if everyone else was doing the right thing.  

I think I'm done venting now.  

26.%2BCat%2BMeme.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, marshhawk said:

I'm one of those folks who look for all those little articles about Covid, you know the ones that are not making the news, because every one is sick of hearing about being sick.  I nag the DH about wearing a mask, I nag my friends about wearing a mask,  and while I have three cruises booked, I'm still anxious because I'm tired of seeing people being tired about caring for others.  I have lost friendships  over the last two years, they think I'm weird for being afraid of Covid. I am not scared of Covid, I'm scared of them.  I read this morning about the waiting game the government is playing right now about getting our second booster.  They don't want it out too early because it might not be right, and if they put it out too late, well, then it's too late.

I am so sorry for my Daily family who have come down with this over the last week.  I know you have been boostered, and should only get a mild case, but it's still a case you shouldn't have gotten, if everyone else was doing the right thing.  

I think I'm done venting now.  

26.%2BCat%2BMeme.jpg

Well said. People are tired of masks and worrying about covid, but we’re still wearing masks, not eating inside a restaurant although our MD said if we go at off times it’s ok. People just don’t care anymore and there are still some people getting very sick. My friend in Florida lost her taste several weeks ago and hasn’t gotten it back. Stay safe everyone because it’s so sad hearing about our cruising friends having to isolate and cancel cruises.

• Like 21

I am so sorry for everyone that has contracted Covid and wish them a speedy recovery with no lingering after effects.  I have been wearing a mask every day to teach; I’m used to it and it is no longer an issue.  I just completed the HAL survey and stated that I think masks should still be required indoors.  I know my feelings may not be popular but I feel that it is still necessary in places like schools and cruise ships.  Regardless,  I will continue to wear my mask.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Coming back this evening and reading comments to our friends who have lost their fur babies and to those of us who have covid, I’m reminded what a wonderful group of caring and supportive people we are here. 

• Like 26

@marshhawk completely agree with you,  I’ve read fourth shot maybe announced early next week in US for those over 50, so that may help. The increase in Covid cases is very worrisome.  
Glad to hear they will tighten up onboard. 

4 hours ago, srdancer said:

@smitty34877 Camilla is so adorable. Thanks for sharing the photos.

@aliaschief, @sailingdutchy, Pauline. - sorry to hear about you Covid cases. Hope you have light cases and get well quickly.

For those who lost precious fur babies, my deepest sympathy.

Thanks for sharing the update on your reaction. 

• Like 14

16 minutes ago, 0106 said:

I am so sorry for everyone that has contracted Covid and wish them a speedy recovery with no lingering after effects.  I have been wearing a mask every day to teach; I’m used to it and it is no longer an issue.  I just completed the HAL survey and stated that I think masks should still be required indoors.  I know my feelings may not be popular but I feel that it is still necessary in places like schools and cruise ships.  Regardless,  I will continue to wear my mask.

It really is disheartening to hear about all the positive cases onboard.  😟

I, too, filled out the survey.  I honestly don't know what works or doesn't work with masking and testing, but we are willing to do both.  On the survey, I told them we wish they'd put together longer itineraries that are not back-to-backs.  I remember even pre-covid where we'd have a healthy ship, and then pick up a new load of passengers and it was suddenly a sick ship.  I'm sure it's hard to get longer cruises booked up, but the "bus" way  of doing business is a real problem with this pandemic, IMO.

I'm just really feeling for our optimistic Dailyites who are in quarantine.  Hang in there, guys.

• Like 22

Thanks for all the Daily reports.   We have been to Albany twice,  pleasant little town.

@smitty34877 thank you for sharing another photo of cute Camilla.

@aliaschiefso very sorry that you have tested positive for covid, hope that you have mild symptoms and that the Twins remain negative.

@JazzyV sorry that you lost the crown again, hope the new crown will remain in place.

@Sharon in AZ and @cruzn singlethank you for your messages. about Polly crossing the Rainbow Bridge.

@Horizon chaser 1957 thank you for your special Rainbow Bridge message.

It's another sunny day, 19 C.

Stay safe, takecare everyone.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

We are in San Diego, after a pretty hectic day.  We are staying near the Airport in Point Loma, pretty basic Comfort Inn, but an interesting area.  We walked along the waterfront to Mitch’s for dinner - wonderful fish and chips (outdoors).    And then more walking to see if there was any dessert, no luck there, but we really didn’t need it.  Then Pat went on a recce to find a MacDonalds for breakfast.  

we are trying to be very careful and wear our masks all the time, except in the outdoors, and social distancing.  We certainly seem to be in the middle of a surge of Covid.

Tony, it must be very frustrating to be treated so badly!  I’m hoping things will be different now, and perhaps they will bring back a mask mandate.  Graham, I’ll be thinking of Pauline - she had it once before, didn’t she?  Hope everyone has very mild cases, if at all!  

big day tomorrow!

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

We are in San Diego, after a pretty hectic day.  We are staying near the Airport in Point Loma, pretty basic Comfort Inn, but an interesting area.  We walked along the waterfront to Mitch’s for dinner - wonderful fish and chips (outdoors).    And then more walking to see if there was any dessert, no luck there, but we really didn’t need it.  Then Pat went on a recce to find a MacDonalds for breakfast.  

we are trying to be very careful and wear our masks all the time, except in the outdoors, and social distancing.  We certainly seem to be in the middle of a surge of Covid.

Tony, it must be very frustrating to be treated so badly!  I’m hoping things will be different now, and perhaps they will bring back a mask mandate.  Graham, I’ll be thinking of Pauline - she had it once before, didn’t she?  Hope everyone has very mild cases, if at all!  

big day tomorrow!

Thank you Ann.

It was me who had covid in November 2020 before the vaccines and spent the best part of 4 weeks in bed.

Fortunately Pauline didn't have any symptoms but might have been asymptomatic as only people with symptoms were tested then in England.

Very best wishes to you and Pat for an awesome cruise.

Graham.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

Thank you so much trying to help . I have asked for a retest and they will not do that . 
I feel completely like I always am , no headache , fever , or bad cough .

this is the first time in about 30 cruises with HAL , our favorite line , that I am starting to get upset with them . It took 3 hours and 3 phone calls to get our breakfast delivered . 
phone calls to guest services or in cabin dining are not being answered and such is the case also with our in solitary neighbours , there is a whole row and two levels of us .

one of the neighbours who is diabetic had to call 911 to get food , which is normally for the medical centre, otherwise his wife would have to call them if it was too late for him ………

Sorry to have to be so negative today , that is not my normal me !  

Tony

Tony, one of the Grand Voyage Roll Calls I’m on had a long discussion about this a few months ago. We were following threads and blogs of people in your current position of being overlooked and ignored. 
The consensus was that we need to arrange an Advocate buddy early on, before anyone tests positive. Having someone who can raise heck in person is key. It made a world of difference for those who did. This is a friend on the outside of quarantine who is willing to physically go to the front desk, medical Center, or appropriate managers office on your behalf when phone calls are being ignored. You can have them on messaging on the Navigator app, or even just call their room. They can even buy you treats onshore and have them delivered. Do you have a friend on board who would be willing to do that?
Im so sorry you’re in this position. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/26/2022 at 7:18 AM, tjcox9 said:

How interesting that today's port is Albany Australia.........we were there twelve years ago today! In the absence of cruising over the last two years, I have begun looking at photos from our travels each day. And lo and behold, today was Albany.

It's a small town and very friendly. Another couple and we went into town and hooked up with a local couple for a tour. We did not spend much time in the town itself, but there was a lovely old church with great flowers outside. Most of our time was spend at Torndirrup National Park which is full of boulders in interesting formations and a natural bridge. Part of the tour was also through a windmill farm where there were actually walking paths among the windmills. We did see a few black swans on our way out of town. The weather was fine, just quite dreary looking.

Albany.jpg

Albany-2.jpg

Albany-4.jpg

Albany-9.jpg

Albany-17.jpg

Albany-19.jpg

Natural Bridge-1.jpg

On the road out of Albany-3.jpg

Torndirrup National Park-1.jpg

Torndirrup National Park-26.jpg

Torndirrup National Park-36.jpg

Torndirrup National Park-39.jpg

Wind Farm ans Coast-3.jpg

Wind Farm ans Coast-18.jpg

Loved your pictures of Albany.    We are scheduled to be there on December 3rd on HAL’s Noordam (fingers crossed).  I am having difficulties finding private excursions for Albany and wondered if you would share contact information for the excursion you took.    Was it through Sights and Sounds Shuttle?    Thank you so much.    Gloria