Do you ever wear heels in the evening?

jhsocal

• 3 weeks later...

I wear heels on cruises, often both day and evening, and usually can't decide which shoes to bring, so end up bringing too many. 

My current daytime shoes are a pair of black Fluevog Malibrans, while my evening heels rotate between pairs from Irregular Choice and Fluevog (interesting shoes are My Thing.)  

• Like 2

You made me look!  And they are, indeed, interesting shoes.  Nice.

Amusingly, both websites offered directions for me to get to the store in Toronto, and the store in Melbourne, Australia.  I think I'll have to say "Just looking" for the moment.

14 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

You made me look!  And they are, indeed, interesting shoes.  Nice.

Amusingly, both websites offered directions for me to get to the store in Toronto, and the store in Melbourne, Australia.  I think I'll have to say "Just looking" for the moment.

Fluevog do ship, and their website has very good sizing notes (how a given size fits.) Also, once you've found a 'family' you like, the other shoes in that family will likely fit much the same way. 

I've only purchased Irregular Choice in store in London, and one pair from Modcloth online (who only occasionally have ICs in stock.) 

• 2 weeks later...

Ever since I almost fell down the stairs on the QM2 when she pitched, I have gone to ballet flats.  I brought so many heels and dresses on that cruise as we drove to the port in NY.  Now flying to ports so trying to pack light.  I also wear "carwash pants" for formal nights:  stand with legs together and looks like long dress!  So knee highs or no hose, depending on warmth needed.

• Like 1

Interesting term, Carwash Pants!  Is that the style made up of narrow strips of fabric all the way around (like ribbons instead of fabric?)  I've seen that as a skirt, as well, but always wondered about too much exposure! How far up do the slits go?  I think Tina Turner carried it off well.  Nice look for dancing!

One of my current favorites is palazzo pants.  Very soft fabric such as crepe, fitted at the waist and hips, then becoming quite full down the legs. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2022 at 10:43 AM, shipgeeks said:

Interesting term, Carwash Pants!  Is that the style made up of narrow strips of fabric all the way around (like ribbons instead of fabric?)  I've seen that as a skirt, as well, but always wondered about too much exposure! How far up do the slits go?  I think Tina Turner carried it off well.  Nice look for dancing!

One of my current favorites is palazzo pants.  Very soft fabric such as crepe, fitted at the waist and hips, then becoming quite full down the legs. 

Mine don't have slits, they have long sheer panels that hang from the waist.  Very similar to Palazzo pants and may be sold under that term too.  Alex Evenings is one brand.

• Like 1

I wear heels, but often they are wedge heels or low heels. Depends on the dress. For our last Caribbean cruise, I wore wedge sandals and long summer-weight dresses every night for dinner. Always bare legs and I get a pre-cruise pedicure for pretty feet. I haven't worn panty hose or tights for at least 20 years.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/24/2022 at 10:43 AM, shipgeeks said:

I've seen them with a smooth lining/underlayer that covers and then the strips over that.

I love heels! I couldn't wear them for a year when I ruptured my Achilles tendon (returning home from a cruise) and missed them so much.

If I'm wearing closed-toe shoes, I'll wear pantyhose with a dress or knee-high hose with slacks. Bare legs with open-toe shoes. 

Sadly I’ve decided it’s time to quit heels.  I bought a few 1 inch wedges and up to 2 inch kitten type heels to replace all my high heels.  I most only wore them on cruises or to weddings but I’ve found steps harder in them and my knees kill me the next day if I try to dance in heels anymore.  Age has caught me for sure.  Not ready for orthotics yet though.  Lol.  

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

If I'm not wearing black, I will wear my rose gold platform heels form Aerosoles (comfy!) and if I'm wearing black my cheapo Apt9 from Kohls (low heel, so comfortable for hours of dancing at weddings which I did recently) and my 20 daughter stole my matching sparkly gold Apt9's so they must be somewhat fashionable😉

No pantyhose, tights etc.

Just now, ninjacat123 said:

If I'm not wearing black, I will wear my rose gold platform heels form Aerosoles (comfy!) and if I'm wearing black my cheapo Apt9 from Kohls (low heel, so comfortable for hours of dancing at weddings which I did recently) and my 20 daughter stole my matching sparkly gold Apt9's so they must be somewhat fashionable😉

No pantyhose, tights etc.

heels.jpg

• Like 2

I haven't been able to wear a real heel in years and my feet appreciate it! I do have a pair of navy blue, kitten heeled Mary Janes that I can wear for a few hours before my feet complain. I leave those at home and stick to flats on cruises and land vacations. I take ballerina style flats plus a pair of pretty flat sandals or two now. Oh, and hose--wear with those Mary Janes but tend to skip on vacay. I would if I could wear dress pumps but I'm almost 65 years old so it might be a generational thing?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/11/2022 at 3:23 PM, cruiselvr04 said:

Sadly I’ve decided it’s time to quit heels.  I bought a few 1 inch wedges and up to 2 inch kitten type heels to replace all my high heels.  I most only wore them on cruises or to weddings but I’ve found steps harder in them and my knees kill me the next day if I try to dance in heels anymore.  Age has caught me for sure.  Not ready for orthotics yet though.  Lol.  

I sympathize with you.  I use to love my heels but my feet have gotten old and tired.  I love to dance but no longer in heels. In the evening I mostly wear platforms or flats.  I have certainly not cut down on how many pairs I bring with me though.

On 3/28/2022 at 6:46 PM, jhsocal said:

On a dress up night , do you ever wear heels?

If you wear heels, are you more inclined to wear hose?

I'm 4'11", so yes -- love heels. 

I have a pretty strong case of plantar fasciitis, but I can still wear carefully chosen heels.  I lean towards wedges for cruises.  

On 4/5/2022 at 9:10 AM, shipgeeks said:

I think that like bras, the comfort level of pantihose/tights depends on fit.  If the fit is right, having them on feels better than not.  But if the fit is wrong, they can all be quite uncomfortable.

Expanding on that thought:  the cheap ones are never comfortable or a good fit. 

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

Most of the time I am cruising with my partner, who is already shorter than I am, so I wear flats.

On the other hand, my children tower over me so when the three of us cruise together (or go out anywhere, really!) it's a good opportunity to dust off my favourite heels.

I never, ever wear hose.  Opaque tights in winter, yes, but I don't do cold weather cruises.