Does anyone enjoy a short nap

csoud68

I do not wake up before 8am unless 1)I have the 8am shift at work or 2) I have an activity that requires me to be up and at'em before 8am.

I do like a little nap when I'm on vacation.  It's like my body knows I'm on vacation and will make me do a little couch/bed time around 3pm.   But, since my bout with the original Covid, I'm needing many more naps just about any day...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

"Does anyone enjoy a short nap?"

I did, until my boss woke me up.  😛

🤣🤣       One afternoon after a stressful day in my classroom with early adolescents, I fell asleep at my desk while working on my plans for the next day.  The custodian who cleaned my classroom/lab discovered me and gently got me awake.  "Time to go home, rka."  

• Haha 1

On 4/5/2022 at 6:50 PM, csoud68 said:

During the day when cruising? I get up at 6 and don't go to sleep til 11pm..

The only way I can do that is to take a nap...usually from 2-3:30...I get up energized and ready to go...and I sleep so good on the ship..

Yes, I'm getting older..lol

My idea of hedonistic luxury is to race all over on a shore ex in the morning, have a glass of wine with lunch, then read and nap in the afternoon.  I've been doing that long before I got old. 

• Like 3

Definitely everyday on the ship!  We only cruise in Jan, Feb & Mar & Im not a morning person except on vacation; can’t wait to feel the warmth on my body so I’m usually in a lounge chair by 7:30am, dozing while reading. Then when it starts to get crazy around the pool where I can’t relax & doze, I scout out a different area. Normally by 2, the coma starts to kick in & depending on where I am, I may stay or go back to the room so I’ll be ready for the night.  

On 4/27/2022 at 1:04 AM, donaldsc said:

Almost never.  Naps are a waste of time that I could be spending doing things.  There are occasional times when I need one however.

DON

Glad we are all different people and have different likes and dislikes in this world because life would be quite boring if we were all the same. What you think is a waste of time I think of as totally relaxing. If I feel like napping I definitely do not think it is wasting my time....and even if it is? It is my time to do what I wish with it🙂. I LOVE a good nap.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Oh man, this thread got me yearning for our younger cruise years when naps happened more often and when we had interior staterooms that were like cool afternoon caves. Cruise naps are the BEST! Coming back from a hot excursion day, cranking up the A/C, showering off the sand, closing all the curtains and hopping into that nicely made bed...

I really need to make sure I take one on our next cruise. 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 1:04 AM, donaldsc said:

Almost never.  Naps are a waste of time that I could be spending doing things.  There are occasional times when I need one however.

DON

LOL Don.  When we were much younger we never wasted time with naps as we wanted to use every possible moment to do and see things.  Now, we are older and like to think a lot wiser.  We just returned home from 3 weeks of independent travel in Europe (France, Czech Republic, Germany and Poland) and somehow managed to find some nap time in many of our days ).  In many cases it was just a matter of returning to our hotel around 4pm and taking a 1-2 hour nap before heading out for the evening and dinner.  

Was it a "waste of time?"   No in our book.  Those late afternoon naps made it easy for us to enjoy cocktail time, long dinners, and after dinner activities.  As two seniors we noted that on average, we walked about 8 miles every day (per our iPhones) so being a little tired was understandable (at least to us).  

I should add that as independent travelers who measure our trips in weeks we now understand (wisdom comes with age) that we need to pace ourselves.  In years past we would often force ourselves to do things when we were exhausted and the results were seldom good.  Not only did we fail to enjoy what we were doing, but we would often find ourselves miserable, short tempered, etc.  

Hank

• Like 2

I fell asleep on a sunlounger this cruise. for about 30 minutes, first time ever.

Dont know why, but I have a slight suspicion it may have been alcohol induced.

For me a nap is when you just nod off for a bit, but reading this thread it some plan them as they say "we".

I could never plan a family nap. Seems odd to me that.

If she fancies a nap she has one, I will be off doing something else. 

21 hours ago, Hlitner said:

In years past we would often force ourselves to do things

I think back to my early years of cruising and remember how I tried to pack activities/events in.  And, even, then, I was not able to do all that I wanted to do.  One thing that helped was those two reserved deck chairs.  The "cheap me" would remind me from time to time:  you paid money for those two chairs.  Why aren't you using them?  That would be "my break" time.  And, sometimes became nap time.  

Sea days are for naps, room service and movie/tv bingeing.   Rarely is their a ship board activity that would keep me from a nap.  Waste of time, I get that, I spend port days first off, last on.

At least ONCE during a cruise, the plan is to get some cheese, fruit, crackers or whatever we find at the buffet, bring it to the cabin for a snack, wine and either watch a movie or nap. Usually, the movie and nap kind of merge into one. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 2:09 AM, Mary229 said:

Sea days are for naps, room service and movie/tv bingeing.   Rarely is their a ship board activity that would keep me from a nap.  Waste of time, I get that, I spend port days first off, last on.

I love sea days. I explore every inch if the ship.

To use it to sleep seems a strange concept to me.

I dont do onboard activities though. Another thing I despise. Forced fun.

Theres plenty to do without the need for the adult equivalent of children's entertainers.

In my view only of course.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DarrenM said:

I love sea days. I explore every inch if the ship.

I do this also. we only take very long cruises so there are plenty of sea days, enough for  both for exploration and napping.   

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lyannea said:

plan is to get some cheese, fruit, crackers or whatever we find at the buffet, bring it to the cabin for a snack, wine 

I will do this at sailaway while sitting on my veranda at times.  Enough wine and a short snooze sometimes happens.  

• Like 1

Sleep is overrated - I'll do that when I get home. 😅

On cruises I'm usually up by 7am or so and go to bed around 1am. On sea days my DH sleeps in until about 10am and then naps mid-afternoon. I may occasionally doze off momentarily in a deck chair, but it's usually only a minute or two before I jerk myself awake. Besides, naps give me headaches so I am better off staying awake.

• Like 1

I had typed up my perfect cruise ship nap experience on my phone, then it was lost to the internet...a clear sign I needed to go to sleep, so after a refreshing night's sleep, here's my experience!

It was a perfectly glorious sea day on the Norwegian Getaway. My husband and I don't drink...well him at all, me only occasionally, but we did purchase the free at sea. Seems odd to call a free perk a purchase, but with all things cruising, free is never free. 

Since I had the free to drink at sea - that's what I'll call it - I chose to have a couple of drinks at the the Sugarcane perched on the waterfront. I started drinking about noon, right after lunch and continued for two hours. In that time span the very wonderful bartender, July, served me up 5 excellent drinks! Thankfully, my husband cut me off after number 5.

I staggered, he walked, back to our room where I promptly ordered a chaser of pepperoni pizza. My college drinking days reminded me that I needed a lot of water and food after so much to drink. I devoured all but a slice of the pizza - the sober one said the pizza was terrible. Frankly, I thought it was delicious! Isn't all drunk food delicious? 

Anyway, we turned on a movie and I promptly took a drunken slumber for the next two hours. Just as a bit of background, I always need a quiet, dark space that is cooled to about 60 degrees to nap properly...if not a nap doesn't happen. Well either the rocking of the boat or the alcohol flowing through my veins allowed me an excellent nap...I'm guessing it was the alcohol coursing through my body!

At about 5 I was up and ready for a night of sweating out the toxins in the thermal spa! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1