The Daily for Tuesday 04/19/2022

richwmn

Today is National Stress Awareness Day, Humorous Day, and Bicycle Day

You don't have a soul, Doctor. You are a soul. You have a body, temporarily.--Walter M. Miller Jr., A Canticle for Leibowitz

Meal Suggestion for today - Zucchini-Crusted Pizza
Drink of the Day - White Russian
Wine of the Day - deakin estate chardonnay, australia
Destination of the Day - Scarborough, Trinidad and Tobago

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Atlantic

Nieuw Statendam   Destination Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel, Azores, Portugal eta 04/24
Rotterdam   Destination Horta, Faial Island, Azores, Portugal eta 4/24

Manzanillo, Mexico Riviera

Nieuw Amsterdam   07:00 - 16:00

Nawiliwili, Lihue, Kauai Island, Hawaii

Koningsdam   08:00 - 18:00

Puerto Madero, MX

Eurodam   08:00 - 17:00

Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Riviera

Zuiderdam   09:00 - 21:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

Long Beach, CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

Palermo, IT

Oosterdam  

Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale FL US

Noordam  
Zaandam

0419World.thumb.png.dfbdcdbc9eb2db05eaf4f2bcbd813287.png
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 16

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  I was an avid bicyclist into my 40's but haven't been on one in years.  Lots of humor here, and I think most of us endure some stress these days but get a lot of relief out of the Daily.  I love the quote and it's quite appropriate for the week after Easter.  I've been to Scarborough just once, on the Maasdam just once in 2015.  The meal sounds nice but tonight it will be Mac & Cheese from Panera,  My alternative is  Marinated Pineapple Spears, Classic Caesar Salad and Parmesan Crusted Turkey Tenderloin as served on MS Amsterdam April 19, 2014.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui
Gracie over rainbow bridge
Seasick Sailor grieving friend’s DH passing

Sea Viewer DH recovering from heart attack and reluctant to take care of himself
Lady Hudson SIL in rehab after stroke
Gracie with possible stroke
Hartgrove older sister entering hospice
Durangoscots new leaky shelter roof
Cruzin Terri ill on Nautica(but improving)
From the rotation:
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
Ukraine
Jen slow recovery from fall
Welfare of furloughed crews

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Zaandam and Noordam in Everglades
Volendam housing refugees
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with guests
NextOne getting to Come From Away
Boston Marathon winners
Lady Hudson visiting SIL
ottahand7 DB almost ready for rehab discharge
 Cruzin Terri (Nautica 4/11 to 5 /5), jawhawk66 and  sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to  5/8) and at sea
Cruzn terri fever starting to break
Welcome home cruzin single and grapau27
Dismomx5 on grandchild watch
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 16

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

It's snowing!  Where is spring?  I'm so tired of snow.  If this is Mother Nature's idea of Humour, I don't like it.  I don't think it will raise my stress level, Bertie likes walking in the snow.  I don't have a bicycle.

Interesting quote.

I'll pass on the meal suggestion and the drink but I hope the wine is good.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 31

Good afternoon.

It is 48°F and sunny here in North East England.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports.

Stress awareness and how to deal with stress is very important for our mental health.

The humorous meme's on here every day certainly help to alleviate stress.

It is years since I last rode a bicycle.

Unusual quote.

I like pizza and white wine preferably a Sauvignon Blanc instead of a Chardonnay.

We have never been to today's port so looking forward to seeing photos.

Prayers for everyone on the care list and for @StLouisCruisersDD for the sad loss of her beautiful dog.

Wishing everyone a lovely day.

Graham.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  I was an avid bicyclist into my 40's but haven't been on one in years.  Lots of humor here, and I think most of us endure some stress these days but get a lot of relief out of the Daily.  I love the quote and it's quite appropriate for the week after Easter.  I've been to Scarborough just once, on the Maasdam just once in 2015.  The meal sounds nice but tonight it will be Mac & Cheese from Panera,  My alternative is  Marinated Pineapple Spears, Classic Caesar Salad and Parmesan Crusted Turkey Tenderloin as served on MS Amsterdam April 19, 2014.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui
Gracie over rainbow bridge
Seasick Sailor grieving friend’s DH passing

Sea Viewer DH recovering from heart attack and reluctant to take care of himself
Lady Hudson SIL in rehab after stroke
Gracie with possible stroke
Hartgrove older sister entering hospice
Durangoscots new leaky shelter roof
Cruzin Terri ill on Nautica(but improving)
From the rotation:
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
Ukraine
Jen slow recovery from fall
Welfare of furloughed crews

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Zaandam and Noordam in Everglades
Volendam housing refugees
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with guests
NextOne getting to Come From Away
Boston Marathon winners
Lady Hudson visiting SIL
ottahand7 DB almost ready for rehab discharge
 Cruzin Terri (Nautica 4/11 to 5 /5), jawhawk66 and  sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to  5/8) and at sea
Cruzn terri fever starting to break
Welcome home cruzin single and grapau27
Dismomx5 on grandchild watch
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy and for my welcome home.

Graham.

• Like 21

Good morning! Up early this morning. A cold front arrived last night and morning temperatures is 50 and the forecasted high will reach only 70! Continue wearing shorts or back to jeans?

Locally we had a big event yesterday with  a 30 plane flyover over our beach. Huge crowds lined the pier and beaches to watch and honor Doolittle  Raiders. and the 75 Anniversary of the United States Air Force. All of the Raiders have now passed but for years they would return here for their reunions. A couple of years ago Lt Col Dick Cole (Doolittle’s Co Pilot) passed away and he was over a 100 years old. This is where they trained for their historic raid over Tokyo. God rest their souls.

Waiting to hear how many more of my wife’s twin sister’s family have Covid symptoms. Ironically this is my wife’s sister who was with us on our recent cruise and didn’t get Covid when we did. They believe her husband got it after and outing with a friend.It just won’t go away!

Thanks for the Fleet Report and continued prayers for all.

Have a great day. 

• Like 34
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, everyone.

We have a dusting of snow on the ground to start the day off.  Then we warm up to 80F for Saturday and Sunday.   Keeps you on  your toes as to what to wear outside, doesn't it.  

Today's meal sounds good to me.  I've made pizza with the cauliflower crust before.  That got a rave review from my niece and nephew.  This first one will get us started with a basic zucchini crust recipe.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/zucchini-crusted-pizza/  For carb counters, the pizza as shown only has 10g of carbohydrate per slice.  

1649812223_zucchinicrustedpizza1.jpg.c423fce3acc863658b7a73aa4c11c61a.jpg

This next one claims just 83 calories and 2g net carbs per slice.  https://www.wholesomeyum.com/zucchini-pizza-crust-recipe-low-carb/

1132616643_zucchinicrustedpizza2.jpg.4c56dfb624a01198c79a8a70a51979c9.jpg

Zucchini is 94% water, so the key to success with these pizza crusts is getting rid of as much of that water as you can.  The Cozy Cook recommends baking the shredded zucchini on a cookie sheet at 350F to achieve this.  https://thecozycook.com/zucchini-crust-pizza/

1041456663_zucchinicrustedpizza3.thumb.jpg.9dce1a63e1f57c1ef8e5b10dcdeb9d16.jpg

This one says it has 214 calories per slice and 7g of carbohydrate.  Still a good deal with a few more veggies on the pizza.   https://therecipecritic.com/zucchini-crust-pizza/

1288515883_zucchinicrustedpizza4.thumb.jpg.fd2858a02abf7aee5f1695ca255ac9e0.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members.  Cheers to all who are celebrating, especially Martha and Jim.  Sorry I missed the birthdays yesterday.   @Cruzin Terri I am glad you are starting to feel better.  How disappointing to work so hard and wait so long for this cruise and then to get sick.   @marshhawk, please do test.  

Wishing you all a happy day.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 8

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. Another lovely, but cooler day in the neighborhood. The fawns are entertaining the entire neighborhood this year. They seem to be everywhere.  

I try to avoid I-95 whenever possible because one never knows when an accident will cause a major back up. Well yesterday morning a semi truck carrying cocoa powder caught fire! One for the books. 

Thank you for keeping our lists Roy. Morning Dailyites. Off to the gym. Then not sure what I will be doing. 

Tuesday smiles….

EAA47299-A5CA-40C6-8E1B-E6AB1C473E87.jpeg.ac1366ab06a3dac7ee90c283f8440d84.jpeg

FC193A64-C522-46F1-8CDB-D33805E37A69.jpeg.7cfa85835dcf2ece27288eee769b0046.jpeg

D5C14398-7CAF-4B21-A2B3-5C3A69363013.jpeg.5a08c5349d5cf03b400455d25a3cbe26.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @smitty34877, Terry, hope Tana and you all are getting some relief. @dfish, Debbie, hope you do not have to wait an entire year, for your medical support to figure out what the issue is. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Deakin estate chardonnay

All released vintages of this Chardonnay share similar good - very good ratings and reasonable prices. Not much info available, but a decent number of online distributors with prices for the 2018 vintage starting at $10.38.

Distributor notes

The Deakin Estate Chardonnay is crafted from family owned, estate grown vineyards that lie in the Murray Darling region of north west Victoria, Australia. In order to achieve a fresh crisp style, selected yeasts to promote aromatic character were used and selected parcels underwent lees stirring to build palate weight and add mouthfeel. This vegan friendly Chardonnay is fresh, balanced and elegant with white peach, pear and hints of citrus flavours. Perfect with roast chicken, salmon or creamy pasta sauces.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 4

Thank you for the Daily Report! It snowed here last night and there is still some on the ground.  Oddly enough I had  a dream about someone wanting me to ride double on a bike last night.  One of our cats has her annual vet appointment today.  The other cat goes tomorrow because there is no way I am going to try to take both of them on the same day.

• Like 22
  • Haha 7

Good afternoon from the very rough Atlantic Ocean.

We have been rocking and rolling since we left Gran Canaria yesterday afternoon and will continue to do so until we stop in Cadiz.  

Cadiz is our substitute port for Tangier.  Morocco has not yet opened their ports so we had to make a change.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi,  I am sorry to hear about Gracie.  She seemed to be so precious.  She is now in heaven with all the other precious pets that have crossed the Rainbow Bridge.

Prayers for all on the cares list and Cheers for those celebrating and cruising.

I am happy to report that my temperature is finally down to normal.  98.6.  That took a while, but I got there.  Just have a bit of a cough.

I don’t think I would like the meal.  Somehow us Italians like old fashioned pizza. Give me plain cheese and nothing else.  Since I moved to SC I have yet to get a good slice of pizza.  

I like bicycles.  Like to ride them.  Haven’t in a while.  May start again soon.

Always like humor.

Have plenty of stress in my life and am aware of it.

Finally a port I have been to.  In 2018 on the Oceania Riviera.  Did a very nice tour of Scarborough that included lunch with Flying Fish and Rum Punch.  Two of my favorites.

Prayers for all who need them.

Internet sporadic today.  Will try to post again later with an update.

God bless,

Terri

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich.

I think I’ve been celebrating National Stress Awareness Day every day for several months 😉   Definitely celebrate humorous day - we all need to smile. 

Love the Leibowitz quote.  Read that book many years ago 👍 

Enjoy a good pizza but never tried one with a zucchini crust.  Thanks for the recipe & the WHITE wine description today.  I don’t think I have had that one?  There aren’t many white wines from Australia or New Zealand I haven’t tried if they are available here, but the selection is not huge.

16ACB193-829B-4D97-9BC3-D353C8E8C39E.thumb.jpeg.ec9817c597f57ccb639a22e645d555eb.jpeg

I feel for everyone who has been nailed by snow.  Grrrr.

84AEC66A-DA15-4C89-9302-80F1951ACB0B.thumb.jpeg.f09dc12dce33fa1b222cc416b31f9930.jpeg

We are in for heavy rains & high winds with flash flood warnings. (Pretty sure my road I need to turn off onto the hospital road will be flooded by noon)   Further north is snow.  It can stay there.  

605A6E3D-6DE9-4120-9515-AC38397E2405.thumb.jpeg.d50a50457843ca33aab6f7ba456d25cd.jpeg

I was so happy to get the hospital shield on Saturday instead of the dam goggles.  Much lighter and Jose can see my eyes and me more easily.  I look like every other health care worker LOL.

F6B89E1E-A98C-4A88-9FBB-1856203F948B.thumb.jpeg.c00c89dd5b416f07617403351d3dfd61.jpeg

@Vict0riannshopping for a new Iphone (and others with them), when I saw this I had to smile at broken Iphones.

67D9D317-A74F-4E4B-B485-28A3BC7119DF.thumb.jpeg.85a138207926b54af4e3485bbe1a75e9.jpeg

@Cruzin Terriglad to hear that your temperature is normal.  YIPPEE 🙂   Sorry about your change in port but Cadiz is a great port IMO 🙂 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Tuesday, everyone !!!!!!

E297C7A5-8F2F-4172-849B-5F457F47C037.jpeg.4a0a9d1f071319672ab1f8070e795849.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

Good morning  to all. I think all of the Dailyites have an acute awareness of stress.I was never very good on a bicycle but made sure all offspring  learned as children. We enjoy all sorts of humor here since we share our home with a teenager.I love it when we all have a good laugh in the evening at dinner.Last night it involved  a school related prank which was both funny and harmless.

@aliaschief,  sorry to hear about increased  covid cases in the family.It is getting somewhat alarming around here again.

@dfish,I think I will try a zucchini  crust.Tge cauliflower  crust is popular here as well. Thanks!

My big excitement  today involves a haircut and I think I will go for a shorter length.Even DH asked if I was going to do something  different...

Terry

• Like 33

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here!

Sue and DSIL arrived home from their cruise on the Nieuw Statendam last week. The bus ride home was not without drama as well. It seems as if in a month people have forgotten how to drive in snow. Their bus was 1-1/2 late after being caught in traffic by two accidents.

They attended the Captain's talk and Sue took two pictures of the presentation that I found interesting. Prior to this cruise they needed to replace the seal on one of the azipods due to sealife taking residence due to inactivity of sailing. It entails using divers as it is installed from the outside.

- Jack

New seal

28358341_NieuwStatendamAzipodSeal.1.thumb.jpg.03d3b551724b217dc158baa28a8969aa.jpg

Old seal with sealife

1477204787_NieuwStatendamAzipodSeal.2.thumb.jpg.347b2f1983a042ed6c5680fddcbbb67b.jpg

Closeup

563780305_NieuwStatendamAzipodSeal.3.thumb.jpg.bc2f848e4d9131567c8a584e09e88a39.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 8

Thanks to everyone here for being so supportive since we lost our little girl, Gracie yesterday.  As many mentioned, it feels like it will take quite some time to get over her sudden loss.  Stress awareness day feels very appropriate.  

Prayers continue for our Care list, Buddy and Jen, and the brave people of Ukraine.🙏    Cheers to our Celebration list people.🥂Thanks go to Rich, Roy and all who post here.  Have a blessed day.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.   The humor on the Daily always relieves stress.   The only "bicycle" I get on any longer is the recumbent bike.   A great quote about our soul and life.   Pizza yes, zucchini pizza no.    White Russian is tasty but too rich and sweet at this time for me.    Looking forward to the Scarborough photos.   

Prayers for all on Roy's care list and for the Ukraine.   🙏

I didn't even make the bed this morning because I guess I may end up back in it later today.  I have been sneezing and now have joint pain in my arthritic hand.   I got my nebulizer out and used it already this morning.   It is another gray and cold day here so I won't feel bad being stuck inside.   

@seagarsmokershared a parade of kiddos in Cozumel,  here are a couple of some demonstrations from our Konigsdam 2018 cruise.  Amsterdam and Porto-Leixos.   

Amsterdam demonstration 91418.jpg

Portuguese student demonstration 92118.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, thanks for the Daily! I'm pretty sure the past 2+ years have shown all of us what stress really is.  I'm all for humourous day - I think everyone should laugh at least once every day.  Gosh, I haven't ridden a bike in years, although with the price of gasoline, we might have to start again!

Everyone seems to be reporting bad weather today, well ours isn't looking all that great either.  We've got a strong wind out of the north (which is quite unusual), and there's an 80% chance of snow both today and tomorrow.  I don't think it will bring much, and hope it won't interfere with our plans of driving to Calgary tomorrow.  It's a wait and see kind of thing.

A busy day planned - laundry, packing, mani/pedi, making a banana loaf to bring with us (DS loves it), cleaning out the fridge, and generally getting the house in order for a week long absence.  I'm sure Sochi's nose will be out of joint for a while, but the neighbour who comes in 2x a day to feed her always treats her so well.  She often stays and plays with her and makes sure she's well brushed before she leaves.

@Seasick Sailor I'm sorry to hear of the passing of a dear friend.

@Cruzin Terriyay that your temperature is back to normal!

@leafsnationwelcome to the Daily!

We do enjoy pizza, but have yet to try one with either a zucchini or cauliflower crust.  I'm somewhat skeptical about them really tasting like pizza and not the vegetable.  For us, it'll be something simple so there aren't any leftovers, so I'm thinking it'll be grilled cheese and tomato soup for dinner tonight.  And wine.

68fc809e29f68b2048caac1952c0515d.jpg.347271fa295d01e117240da0b0d444f7.jpg

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for the people of Ukraine and all who are providing aid.  Extra also for our Daily family members who are struggling or suffering losses.  We'll celebrate all on the happy list with raised glasses tonight.  Be safe, get your boosters, wear your masks when you need to, wash your hands and stay well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Good Morning from a very windy day at the beach

I think we are all aware of stress and this thread  is certainly a stress reducer. So grateful we can express our concerns without fear.

Love pizza of any type.  I do ride a regular bike, not those ebike things. They are scary when they come whizzing down the sidewalk.

@StLouisCruisers So sorry to hear about Gracie. She will join the our many pets that have gone before her.

My niece did really well in the Boston Marathon yesterday. She came in at 4 hours, 3 minutes!   She struggled at the bottom of " Heartbreak Hill" but a bunch of her students were there waving signs and yelling for her. Guess she took off like a canon up the hill.  So very proud of her. 

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3