The Daily for Wednesday 04/27/2022

richwmn

5 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

For future travel similar to this, I have purchased two 35L (International size) backpack suitcases to be used in conjunction with a small rollaboard and personal bag each. This way we won't hinder other passengers with our large suitcases.

I've recently purchased a international-size carry-on bag (not wheeled, but also no backpack straps, because shoulder injuries make it hard to put on a backpack), partly for the same reason. Nevertheless, for my next HAL cruise, in 2023, I will probably use it with a large wheeled bag and a very small shoulder bag, even though the trip will include the high-speed train from Madrid to Barcelona. It's for the Spanish Farewell, a TATL itinerary, and what I want for the sea days is a bit different from what I want for the port days.

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Roy, I spent most of my working career with Social Security as well.  I worked in Disability.  Most of my time in the New York Regional Office.  Did a stint in Central Office in the Office of Disability but decided against it.  We probably know a lot of the same people.

Terri

Most likely not.  Trying to think, would you have been in the main building or on Woodlawn Drive.  As an Actuary I had relatively little contact with real people.

Roy

• Like 7

Thanks for all the lovely pictures of Auckland.  

@JazzyV  Sorry about your RA diagnosis.  Fortunately the new drugs, although expensive, are life changing for most people.  One of the first of the monoclonal antibody drugs is Enbrel.   As soon as it was approved I started taking it.  I remember February 1999 when my life turned around and I could become active and pain free again.   I could barely walk my feet were so painful and on bad days had a hard time turning the key in my car ignition.   I hope that you can find one that works for you as Enbrel did for me.  Sending virtual hugs to you.   

• Like 11

Thanks for the Daily reports, recipes, photos and humour.

Thanks to @kazu@rafinmd@Cruising-along@marshhawk@summer slope@puppycanducruise@JAM37@Sharon in AZ@Quartzsite Cruiser,  and @JazzyV,  for your kind messages re our new fur baby.  The past two nights when we turn our bedside lights off, she arrives from her room , jumps on the bed and sleeps all night alongside me, so far, she has not walked over us during the night, 

@JazzyV sorry to hear of the RA diagnosis, hope medication will help.

@kazu good news that the new unit is clear,  is Jose in a chair each day when you arrive to visit?

It's a  sunny day, 14 C.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 14

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Are you boarding in Los Angeles or Fort Lauderdale?

Roy

Roy,

we are boarding in Fort Lauderdale for the 18-day TA followed by the 16-day Norway and Spitsbergen cruise during the Summer Solstice.

Kay

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mtn2Sea said:

I believe it is dedicated for bicycles, but I’m not positive.

Bless them. Here in my section of California, cyclists are expected in many communities to share lanes with traffic, even traffic doing 40+ MPH. If there is a “lane”, the white lines provide no protection. Our safety is sacrificed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Most likely not.  Trying to think, would you have been in the main building or on Woodlawn Drive.  As an Actuary I had relatively little contact with real people.

Roy

Most of the time in Woodlawn with the Office of Disability or with Qualiaty Assurance (they were in another building) so long ago I can’t remember when I was where.  

Interesting though that we have a connection.

Terri

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Sea Viewer said:

Good morning everyone, quick photo from Oasis of the Seas heading back to Miami. A quick 4 day cruise. Most of the entertainment is back so I had lots to fill my time at sea, although just watching the ocean go by from the balcony was the best.

IMG_20220427_065707173.jpg

Ah, a 4-day because Oasis is deadheading to Bayonne to pick up @Lady Hudson.

Roy

• Like 7

8 hours ago, kb4683 said:

Roy,

we are boarding in Fort Lauderdale for the 18-day TA followed by the 16-day Norway and Spitsbergen cruise during the Summer Solstice.

Kay

We are too.  34 days Fort Lauderdale to Southampton seeing Iceland, UK and Norway including Spitsbergen.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

@StLouisCruisersI'd love to know your impressions of Island Princess when you return from your cruise. We're doing a B2B Nov/Dec-TA from Rome and then partial Panama Canal. I am going to miss the Interntional Cafe.

Kay and I both can give you our impressions when we return.  Like you, we will miss the International Cafe, too.  In all our travels on Princess we've never sailed on Island Princess.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Kay and I both can give you our impressions when we return.  Like you, we will miss the International Cafe, too.  In all our travels on Princess we've never sailed on Island Princess.

As well as the IC, we will also miss Vines 🍷.  

• Like 5

14 hours ago, kochleffel said:

I've recently purchased a international-size carry-on bag (not wheeled, but also no backpack straps, because shoulder injuries make it hard to put on a backpack), partly for the same reason. Nevertheless, for my next HAL cruise, in 2023, I will probably use it with a large wheeled bag and a very small shoulder bag, even though the trip will include the high-speed train from Madrid to Barcelona. It's for the Spanish Farewell, a TATL itinerary, and what I want for the sea days is a bit different from what I want for the port days.

Yes, I purchased two Tortuga (brand) Outbreaker Backpacks. I decided on them as they ride on the hips and then just steadied with the shoulder straps. 

• Like 4

On 4/27/2022 at 12:43 PM, Sea Viewer said:

Until I retired I was not able to take long vacation time, except one time a year I could take 2 weeks. Those weeks were generally spent either visiting family in Europe or land trips to Hawaii and the western states National Parks in summer.

As Royal doesn't require us to take a flight and has several ships available year round, ive been grabbing some last minute cruises even though we've probably visited all the ports before.

I too would greatly use my vacation time wisely for Europe or going out west.

Even though I love cruising, I love the Western National parks the best.

yes the FLA area does not have any HAL ships during the summer and no Princess either.

RCI and Carnival and NCL and Disney.  Still I will repeat the Eastern and Southern Caribbean on any new ship

Good news, I passed my NAAT test and flying to Miami tomorrow for boarding Symphony on Sat.

Might just enjoy her more than Wonder.   I hear everyone loves Oasis since amp'd up

• Like 3

On 4/27/2022 at 2:47 PM, grapau27 said:

Sounds wonderful.

Oasis class are our favourite.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211221_223815.jpg

thanks I passed my NAAT test today and will pack.

Getting up 3am EST to get to airport and to Miami.  Not sure much to eat near the hotel I picked.

Can't wait to get on Symphony.   Re doing Allure in June.  Oasis in the fall

But that ship Iona sure looks nice and I want to try a P&O ship next year.

So a lot of the ships are in the Atlantic and good thing the Wonder OTS skipped Nassau and headed southerly to cross.  The RCI weatherman knew what he was doing when he suggested it.

The Celebrity Edge and other ships are doing northern middle part of the Atlantic and according to Cruisemapper, they are in rough seas.  Wonder is in calm seas.

I watched You Tube LIVE yesterday to view the Celebrity Beyond leaving Southampton.  odd looking ship.

Anthem is heading to UK in about 10 days or so.   

toodles

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

thanks I passed my NAAT test today and will pack.

Getting up 3am EST to get to airport and to Miami.  Not sure much to eat near the hotel I picked.

Can't wait to get on Symphony.   Re doing Allure in June.  Oasis in the fall

But that ship Iona sure looks nice and I want to try a P&O ship next year.

So a lot of the ships are in the Atlantic and good thing the Wonder OTS skipped Nassau and headed southerly to cross.  The RCI weatherman knew what he was doing when he suggested it.

The Celebrity Edge and other ships are doing northern middle part of the Atlantic and according to Cruisemapper, they are in rough seas.  Wonder is in calm seas.

I watched You Tube LIVE yesterday to view the Celebrity Beyond leaving Southampton.  odd looking ship.

Anthem is heading to UK in about 10 days or so.   

toodles

I hope you have an amazing cruise.

We have been on Harmony twice and Allure once and booked on Oasis next year.

Iona is a nice ship and the best P&O ship imo but no where near as good as Oasis class.

We have 2 sailings on Anthem this year from Southampton England.

Take care.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211221_223815.jpg

• Like 2