The Daily for Sunday 05/15/2022

richwmn

Today is National Chocolate Chip Day, National Slider Day, and Police Officer’s Memorial Day

You don't forget the face of the person who was your last hope.--Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games

Meal Suggestion for today - Chole bhature
Drink of the Day - Kilbeggan®Irish Coffe
Wine of the Day - Jean Loron 2019 Chateau de Fleurie (Fleurie)
Destination of the Day - Taormina, Italy

Ships With Passengers

At Sea

Eurodam   Destination Juneau, Alaska
Koningsdam   Destination Juneau, Alaska

Boston, Massachusetts

Zaandam   10:00 - 19:00 - 17:00

Glacier Bay, Alaska

Zuiderdam   07:00 - 16:00

Haifa, Isreal

Oosterdam   07:00 - 15:00

Piraeus-Athens, Greece

Nieuw Statendam   07:00 - 16:00

Vancouver, BC Canada

Noordam   07:00 - 16:00

Visby, Sweden

Rotterdam   07:00 - 17:00

Whittier, Alaska

Nieuw Amsterdam   01:00 - 22:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

Long Beach, CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

0515World.thumb.png.914808b10969f74cf4d3fbb965c64c58.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 12

Good morning.  Happy Sunday.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

We had a bit of rain last night, we needed it, and things are nice and green this morning.  Today's high is 25C (77F) 🙂

We thank police officers and honour those that lost their lives in the line of duty.  I guess I should make chocolate chip cookies today.  I'm not a big fan of sliders.

Interesting quote.

I'm not sure what the meal suggestion is, I'll wait to see recipe and pictures.

Hubby will like the drink, I'm not a coffee drinker anymore.  Hope the wine is good.

Looking forward to seeing lots of pictures of today's port.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

184150633_10218712077384399_4974501944098798993_n.jpg

• Like 27
  • Haha 9

After my husband passed away several weeks ago....I needed to stay busy....and have gone thru every closet, nook and cranny...organizing and downsizing....

A few days ago...I made a command decision...and booked a condo in Waikiki for the month of September....:)

I use to live there....way back...in 1967.....and have taken our family many, many times...

This is a solo trip...just want to kick back and do nothing but bob in the pool and watch the sunset from the lanai.....:) 

My family is so super glad and so super excited that I'm going....they even have it all worked out on who is staying with Casey every night (our cat)...and who is taking and picking me up at the airport....

I'm guessing that old Don Ho record I found....might have had something to do with this...:)

• Like 54
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich!  It’s a lovely morning here. Expecting the temps to get up to the 80s today. It has been so lovely this past week, but not typical weather for us. 

Thank you for keeping our lists Roy. Morning Dailyites! An early trip to the gym, then Aldi. Then I may hop in the pool for the first time this year. 

E70C5933-5551-43C7-99EE-20FFDD2486E2.jpeg.47e04580654e9f77a793253d34f46296.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Jean Loron 2019 Chateau de Fleurie

This dry, light red sounds like one I would like to taste, but I tend to gravitate to more full-bodied reds these days. Numerous online distributors with prices starting at $17.99.

Winemaker Notes

Deep ruby color with purple hints. Intense and complex nose. Obvious notes of blackcurrants and blackberries, progressively complemented by licorice and black chocolate. The mouth is rich and well balanced with silky tannins and a remarkable persistence.

Ideal pairings for this wine include tajine, beef lasagna, and cow's milk cheese.

WE92 Wine Enthusiast

From vines belonging to the Loron and Barbet families, this is a rich, structured wine. It is beautifully perfumed, juicy with blackberry flavors and lifted acidity. Firm tannins under all this fruitiness promise aging. Drink from 2022.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich.

Chocolate chip day?  A know a pile of people who will be celebrating that one 😉 

A2CCB618-274F-47D5-80A6-53ED61C0F077.jpeg.45a1488130c997cb7e42c36d0327d02e.jpeg

God Bless all the Police Officers who have given their lives to protect others.  Love the Collins quote. And Irish coffee?  Perfect day for it with the rain 👍 or i guess one could warm up chocolate chip cookies 😉 

E239425F-6074-48BB-A673-92BDBAAB3CA0.thumb.png.3942333b31aa79ac565dfef1fb20af47.png

Have to wait for the wine description.  We adored Taormina.  it wasn’t a port.  We made a trip there from where we were docked and really enjoyed it.  Highly recommend.

B3C1EA66-5A27-4685-99B6-50C5CE2F9E17.jpeg.4fb159d78dd40c4a0577554446bbce8d.jpeg

@Rowsbyso glad you have made a command decision and getting away.  Good for you 👍 I hope it is a lovely restorative getaway 🤞 

Off to my other garden centre I like.  Can’t find what I want for 2 planters.  (And no it’s not the one off the hospital road 😉). Got all my dahlias, cannas and callas finished and in though.  Still stuff to do but I plugged away knowing what was coming.  And if they have chocolate chip cookies, I might buy some 😉 

DD5F911D-5851-4ACE-9D90-9127F45356B8.jpeg.51ab9b7a6d4e347f774f941d6b2d5bf5.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂  to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Sunday everyone !!!!!

70C7A61D-39FD-405A-B675-F58A8DEE79B9.jpeg.e4c9783f871751acb4c36b942a3e440d.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Good Sunday morning.  Another early morning for us.  Our plant sale went well and I think we took in about $600.  The rest will sell at the Farmer's Market next Saturday.   We are finishing loading the truck and we will be heading north to our cabin for a couple of days.  I will be missing for a few days unless the phone signal is strong enough to run my hotspot or simply my phone.   Have a beautiful Sunday.

Prayers for the people killed and injured in the callous shooting in Buffalo and for all on Roy's care list and for the people of Ukraine.  🙏

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  I like Chocolate but prefer Oatmeal Raisin.  Maryland got a little ahead of the date and had a memorial for our slain officers earlier this week,  Interesting quote today. I've not been to Taormina.  I'll pass on the Slider and am uncertain about the meal; I would probably at least taste it. My alternative is Pineapple Boat, Rack of Lamb with with Tomato Couscous, and Garlic Pearls, and Black Forest Cake as served on MS Veendam May 15, 2016.

Today’s care list:

smitty34877 DB with cancer and now with Covid
Lady Hudson SIL back in hospital with infection
Marshhawk DH mouth pain
SusieKIslandGirl and DGD with Covid
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
Heartgrove DDIL with covid while Heartgrove needs to visit older sister
Vict0riann’s DBIL and DSIL with Covid in Australia
From the rotation:
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
Strength, peace, and healing for kazu
Ukraine
msmayor’s daughter struggling with motherhood

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam housing refugees
All but 1 BHB with guests
Horizon Chaser 1957 nephew helping with sister’s 50th Anniversary
Welcome Home leafsnation
New home for lindaler
4th jab for Cruising-Along
Surgery set for dfish 1 June
6 days for rafinmd (Adventure OTS 5/21 to 5/28)
7 days Atexsix( Discovery Princess May 22-29)
St Pete Cruiser (Wind Surf to 5/17) and Lady Hudson (Oasis OTS  to 5/22)  at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Currently watching Queen Elizabeth sailaway from Ft. Laudersale.

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 7

Well, Good Sunday morning.

As i said in the Saturday post, which I actually wrote this morning, it is good to be home.

Thank you to both Rich and Roy for the lists.

I love Chocolate Chips, but would pass on the sliders.  Certainly honor our fallen Police Officers and all those presently serving.

I like the quote and remember people at different times in my life who were my last hope.

And finally a destination i have been to many times.  I love Taormina.  It is so pretty and never pass up the opportunity to go there when a ship stops in a nearby port.

As I said, these days are filled with many things to do.  Catching up on mail, and everything else.   Lots of laundry and unpacking.  Just brought too much stuff with us.  Didn’t use half of it.  I guess Covid helped with that.

Glad to get a dentist appointment for tomorrow.  Have had a toothache since the first night in Rome. Can’t wait to get there tomorrow.  

I hope everyone is doing well.

Prayers for all on the Cares list.  Cheers to those celebrating. And cruising.

Take care,.  Hopefully I will get a few minutes to come back later and post again and see what everyone is up to.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 33

Good morning, everyone.

It is sunny and bright here in northeast Ohio with temps heading to the mid 80s.  We had some thunder bumpers late yesterday afternoon and evening but they didn't amount to much.  Nothing much on the agenda today.  Yesterday I swept the floors and mopped the kitchen floor.  I also wiped down the appliances to get the stuff that accumulates on them over time.  Today I think I'll fold the clothes that are living in the dryer and put them away.  I think there is a new batch that want to move into the dryer.  

Chole bhature is a tasty meal combo recipe made with spicy and flavored chana masala with a deep-fried puri. it is a popular street food meal in northern India, particularly in the Punjab, Delhi area, but also in Rrawalpindi Pakistan. it is generally eaten as a breakfast dish with yoghurt based beverage lassi, but can be served any time of the day for a complete and satisfying meal.

https://hebbarskitchen.com/chole-bhature-recipe-chana-bhatura/

1049386751_cholebhature1.thumb.jpeg.160c66462a52cc4ebbe033701d3b5119.jpeg

This next recipe gives you three different ways to prepare the chole bhature, depending on how much time you have to spend on it.  https://www.secondrecipe.com/punjabi-chole-channa-masala/

1072159168_cholebhature2.jpg.306ab688b414635de9e28eda7916ce23.jpg

This next one offers a quickie version or a slow cooker version.   It also gives a little more history of the dish.   https://holycowvegan.net/chana-bhatura-trip-down-memory-lane/

860466023_cholebhature3.thumb.jpg.e03fff3ff952a172f7f1a1bcad99dd30.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members.   Cheers to those who are celebrating and a special shout out to @Rowsby for her upcoming trip to Hawaii.  Also to @lindaler for her move to Mobile.  Wishing you all the wonderful day.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 6

Good afternoon.

It is 68°F and sunny.

We have been on a short cruise on Anthem of the seas and went on the North Star an observation pod that rises 300 feet above sea level.

We also went on the dodgem cars.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich and Roy for the various lists.

We had some choc chip cookies on the ship.

Very good quote.

We docked in Messina Sicily in 2003.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

Father David is on holiday so I have no sermon to post today.

I hope everyone is having a great day.

Graham 

IMG_20220514_174138.jpg

IMG_20220513_154406.jpg

IMG_20220513_154618.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds interesting, I did a quick search.  I look forward to @dfish pictures and recipes.  I certainly remember everyone that was there for me when I hit lows in my life.  Yesterday’s trip to the garden center seemed more expensive than past years and DH wants a few more plants for the deck.

We did eat out locally for the first time this year.  It was a disappointing encounter.  When DH complains I know for sure it just isn’t me.  We will use the rest of the gift card for takeout.

@rafinmd thanks for the heads up.  I got to watch this morning’s sail away.

This certainly applies to Amelia.

image.png.42bfcf1bb8da2375faac8d99697dc5c9.png

• Like 26
  • Haha 9

Good morning.  Bright and sunny today, storms due later.  Love Chocolate chip cookies too much.  Not store bought so that is a good thing.  I can control how many are in the house.  Not sure about slider day, sports or food?  And Police Officer's day is to be remembered but wish it wasn't necessary.

Not sure about the quote.  Will pass on the meal and have not been to Italy. 

@Rowsbygood for you.  You will be able to relax and enjoy family for the month.

Major prayers for all of us, especially our care list.  Will raise a glass to the celebration list tonight,.

Please continue to stay safe and wear your mask.

Kilbeggan Irish Coffee:

Ingredients
1 ½ parts Kilbeggan® Single Grain Irish Whiskey
3 parts Coffee
1 tbsp Brown Sugar Syrup*
Garnish: Whipped heavy cream,
Grated Nutmeg

Instructions
Rinse coffee mug with hot water and then add brown sugar syrup* and Kilbeggan® whiskey. Fill mug with coffee. Lightly whip heavy cream and pour gently into the mug over the back of a spoon. Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.

*To make brown sugar syrup, combine 2 parts brown sugar and 1 part water in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from burner and let cool. Store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.

Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 7.49.03 AM.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

If you wanted a real Slider back in the day, this was the only place to go. We would by them by the bag before Blackhawks hockey games at the old Chicago Stadium, usually 5 or more of them, sometimes 10, would eat them before the game started up in the nosebleed seats. 5 cents each in the 1950s and a dime in the 60s.

Hope everyone has a great day.

white castle.jpg

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good morning friends!  It's going to be an iffy day here, sometimes sun and sometimes clouds with a chance of rain.  I think we will try to get a few groceries this morning while the store is quiet, and before the after church people come flooding in.  We're trying to avoid people as much as possible right now.  I'm happy to hear Sue @Rowsbyhas made the decision to spend a month in Hawaii to relax and unwind.  Also great to hear Linda @lindalerhas decided to move near family and enjoy them as much as possible.  You'll be glad you did it, Linda.

Thanks Rich for the Daily along with the days and places to celebrate.  Love Chocolate Chip cookies, can take or leave sliders, and especially appreciate police officers.  Those who give their lives for the public are so selfless.  I can do without the chole bhature.  Taormina is a beautiful spot to visit, and have only been there once due to cancellations.  It was last listed here as port of the day on September 14, 2021.

Thank you Roy for the Care and Celebration lists.  First, my condolences to the families and friends of those shot down in the Buffalo grocery store yesterday.  Senseless shooting!  They need to throw the book at that idiot.  I just wish someone had seen the signs and stopped him before it was too late.  Prayers too for the Ukraine people and helpers.  I hear now Poland is being threatened.  🙄  Prayers, too for the Care list and all who have lost their loved ones recently, especially Jacqui @kazuand Ann @cat shepard.   A shout out to all on the Celebration list.  Enjoy your happy times!🥂

Here is what I posted on Sept. 14, 2021 about Taormina, Italy.

I checked my Cruising Profile and it said we had been to Taormina on the Prinsendam Holy Land cruise we took in Oct. 2014.  But when I looked at my Shutterfly book of that cruise it turns out we were unable to go there and they substituted Messina instead.  Knowing I'd seen Taormina on a tour once I was able to determine we'd been there in October 2016 on Emerald Princess.  The port was Messina and the tour was to Mt. Etna and Taormina. 

October 5, 2016 on our tour of Taormina.  It's a charming town and very scenic but can be a problem to negotiate when crowds are large.  It would be nice here off season, whenever that is!

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIhy9M0PjnBdsXbC--iikha?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1477680286

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLYvlPLPLXQpeBCqITy4HsW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1477680305

The Duomo and the funky fountain in front of it.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKkeACFzS85iBmNDOFQG8Bo?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1477680315

A small walkway.  I love those lanterns hanging from the building.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLnHTB-WI6fb_9BeuxPD1oE?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1477750346

A shopper's delight...00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKzTmh_Wg9Ssa8vl2PNIxDw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1477680324

A dining/drinking delight...00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKRe-FCtg1fUHtbTbuXec9W?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1477680330

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJwPyetluYk8DfGxH6RRRgR?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1477680347

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJHBLM0Cgf9TrPKHBy_jYx4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1477680355

The view from an overlook00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLIurrSpuBC8sd7ujPv9j41?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1477680364

A closer look at that ship in case you'd like to identify it...might be a Windstar00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJLtxXBIU8E6Px9A1GQPVAw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1477680370

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI8q1kn-v02ymb6b-ICNFPm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1477680372

The Church of St. Joseph (or the Chiesa San Giuseppe)00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVImkeEiAPtoQLYFJ9jcM6fI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1477680386

In front of the church00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLrk44JoUz1dLWVAEEDlU6q?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1477660106

Lots of people!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIsWLeAMljJHTyKKMWOLw3Z?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1477680401

Enough for today.  

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 6

Greetings from Basle, Switzerland.  We're nearing the end of the trip & it's been good overall, although I'm not going to abandon  my BHBs!

I packed mostly warm clothes so, of course, it's been unseasonably warm & sunny for most of the trip! I think it's supposed to rain tomorrow when we head for Oberammergau.it turns out that sis & I travel well together, so we should be good to go for the VoV next year.

@Rowsby, I also made a "command" decision last fall to take my first cruise after my husband died in May. Best decision I ever made! Enjoy your "me" time & the beauty of Hawaii!

Prayers for all who need them and cheers for all who are celebrating!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from central Texas where it will be another hot day.

Chocolate chip cookies are a favorite here, but I don't make them too often now.  I'm also am not a fan of sliders.  We'll honor the fallen police officers.

Today's quote is interesting.

Neither of us are fans of Indian food, so we'll give it a pass, along with the drink.  The wine sounds interesting and the price is right.

We've been to Taormina twice.  In 2017, the Prinsendam docked in Messina, and we took a tour to Taormina.  In 2019, the Veendam tendered into Naxos where we took a local bus to Taormina.  I'll look for the pictured I posted last September.

@Rowsby  Sue, glad you decided to spend time in Hawaii.  

@ottahand7  Safe travels today, and enjoy your time at your cabin.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, sorry about the toothache. I hope the dentist can take care of it easily.

@grapau27  Graham, welcome home.  I suspected you were on a cruise.  Enjoyed the pictures.

@NextOne  I'm glad your trip is going well.

Lenda

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning from a warm but cloudy day at the beach

I think I am probably the only person in the world that does not care for chocolate chip cookies. I like Roy @rafinmd prefer oatmeal raisin.  I do enjoy sliders. 

Police Officers have a special place in my heart. Ii is so disheartening to see what they go through on a daily basis.  They deserve better.

Have not been to todays port.  

@Rowsby Have a wonderful relaxing trip. Sounds like a good decision.

The Queen Elizabeth was in Port Canaveral a few days ago. I was so surprised when I drove by the port. 

Looks like my trip to Australia/New Zealand is going to happen.  My flights, hotel and some excursions are booked. It will be great. 

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Yay for chocolate chips - my favourite kind of cookie.  I don't have to worry about sharing because DH prefers oatmeal raisin.   We haven't had or made sliders in ages, maybe it's about time we did.  We remember police officers with gratitude for giving their lives in the line of duty.

Although yesterday dawned cool, grey and drizzly, by about 2 in the afternoon the sun came out and it was a beautiful day.  As I thought, the buds are now just popping on the trees and there are catkins all over the sidewalks and lawns as the trees come back to life again.  DH has mentioned he wants to buy a few more flower baskets for the back yard - it looks to me like we won't be cutting back on the gardening budget this year as we'd planned.  LOL   A question for @kazu, or our other gardening experts:  if you purchase blooming calla lily plants, do they continue to bloom throughout the year or are they one and done?   Does the same apply to gerbera daisies?

@Rowsby good for you for making plans to get away; enjoy your time in Hawaii!

@lindalercongratulations on your new home - it will be so nice for you to be close to family.  Good luck with the sale of your Oregon home.

@Cruzin Terrisorry about the tooth ache - you just couldn't get a break from health issues this trip, could you?

Not a lot going on here today; I think we'll be bringing out the planter pots from storage and cleaning them up in anticipation of having new flowers to put in them.   I know DH would love to put them in their places today, but we traditionally never put plants out until after the May long weekend when (usually) the danger of frost is past.  We never put the frost covers too far away until the end of June, because you just never know!  

I'm not sure about today's menu suggestion, as neither of us is a fan of chickpeas.  On the other hand, I'd love the fry bread, being a carb-aholic.  I have a couple of pork chops thawing in the fridge that DH will be cooking on the barbecue later this afternoon.  I'll make up a apricot/coffee barbecue sauce for him to slather on during the cooking process and will serve them up with fresh corn on the cob and a Greek salad.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers especially for the people of Buffalo who lost their lives so senselessly yesterday.  Extra also for the people of Ukraine and all who are providing aid to them.  We'll salute all on the happy list by clinking the glasses together tonight.  Stay safe, wear masks when you need to, get your boosters and be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Dailyites!  I have been remiss about getting back on every day once I get the first morning fix, so two things I wanted to add before I totally forget-Chicken Dance-hockey games.

Getting carded?  They even card you for non alcoholic wine and beers.  It says wine? card, it says beer? card.  LOL  There isn't booze in them.  But they gotta.

I know I promised a short review of my vacation-so here goes, it has a happy ending if you want to skip it.

Saturday April 30- A donut for breakfast with coffee and we head out by 10 a.m..  Promising to stop at Cracker Barrell in Macon.  However, I miss that stop and have to keep driving to the next one.  So quite hungry by the time we got second breakfast.  We finally get to our Microtel south of Ocala around 5.  Now I know it shouldn't take that long to get from Atlanta to Ocala, but DH and I are both smokers and we cant smoke in the car with the BFF, so we did have a few extra stops at rest areas.  Even found a rest area south of Gainesville right before the Plains Prairie, and there were warnings about poisonous snakes.  Didn't see one, but it turns out that this rise above the waters of the prairie is called snake hill, and when the Prairie floods, the snakes come to the hill so that they wont drown.  There is one small reason to appreciate a drought.

The hotel was to say the least, disgusting.  I usually stop at Holiday Inn Express, but when I tried to book, all the Holiday Inns from Valdosta to Tampa off 75 were booked.  Couldn't  get two rooms.  But we have stayed at a Microtel when we cruise from Mobile, so I chose the one in Ocala.  Our room smelled awful.  Like something had died, and they had thrown a entire can of ant killer in the room to cover up the smell.  I literally could not breathe.  I opened the window, but there was no screen.  We did complain, and the girl at the desk, went up and put some other chemical in the air conditioner system. ??  After we came back from dinner, she did offer to move us, which i jumped at.  Same type of room,  closer to the elevator.  Bless her.  She said she had no idea why housekeeping hadn't said something about the room.  Oh, and the pool had been closed by the Health Department, and the "smoking section" was a picnic table where several homeless people were living at.  So , no I don't recommend this hotel.

Sunday May 1- Check in day at Sanibel Moorings.  You cant check in before 4, and we got there at 3:30.  Condo was not ready, so we headed to the Lighthouse cafe, to the ice-cream store, and I got a cup of mint chocolate chip ( I like to celebrate my chips when they are in ice cream). The resort called us in about 15 minutes, so after our most wonderful snack, we headed back to the condo, and moved in for the week.  Two bedroom, two bath, full kitchen, living room, dining area.  Screened porch with a few of "the garden".

8523510984.jpg

0845860625.jpg

0528650477.jpg

I love this place because, you have your own home for a week, and you are at the beach.

Once we unpacked we headed to the beach, right when a massive thunderstorm was coming in, and the staff was getting everyone off the beach, so we went to the pool. ( I know a dumb idea)

0079590438.jpg

The pictures above are all from the condo web site.  

When the three of us travel together,  we split costs.  The condo was on us this year, the excursions were paid for by the BFF.

Monday we went to the Ding Wildlife Reserve, and took a tram ride through the reserve.  We had "just missed" the white pelicans, and the roseated spoon bills, but "just a few days".  But we did see a lot of osprey.  Close up and personal.  What a beautiful raptor.

Four tan-black-and-white birds with long gray bills probing sand for food at the beach

Tuesday we returned to C.R,O.W. (the care and rehabilitation of wildlife).  We had gone last year for the lecture, but this time we did the hospital tour.  On Sanibel all critters are honored, as this is their home, and we just visit.  They will care for any animal on the island and off the island, who can be brought in and cared for.  EXCEPT for the iguana.  As the iguana is not an indigenous critter.  If they are injured, they are euthanized.

cj3f06crvdzfo7fapjox.jpg

Wednesday we took a Breakfast "cruise" in Tarpon Bay.  And we saw lots of birds, got a lot of history, a cup of coffee and a Danish.  A very calm pontoon "cruise", which we all enjoyed.

Image of the evening cruise at Tarpon Bay Explorers

Thursday afternoon we went to the Bailey Matthews National Shell museum.  Being the kid I am, I made DH download the "treasure hunt" and we got a prize of a plastic wrist band with the name of the museum on it.  They thanked me for taking one, as it is a form of advertising, and the kids don't like them.

Blackwater Moments-1.jpeg

Friday Morning we decided to learn some history of the island, so we went to the Heritage Village Tour.

SHM-Home-Page-Lightbox1-new.jpg

There might have been too much history, as went the tour guide decided to discuss modern day politics, the three of us wandered off....

Saturday we went to the Gulf Shores Ballet of Don Quixote, and while it was a bit "high school" it was entertaining, but again we left early to grab those last moments of beach time and by the time we got to the beach, another storm blew in, and that was the end of that.  We got off the beach, packed up, and went and had our last fantastic meal and went back one last time for ice cream.

I didnt cook one meal, did wash out coffee cups, and recommend the following restaurants on the island, yes they are all good, but some were just GREAT.

Lighthouse Cafe  for breakfast and the ice cream place attached which is open til 10 at night.  BEST Ice cream ever!

Over Easy Cafe- the guys had breakfast, which they said was great , but I had a BBQ pork Quesadilla and it was beyond yummy. 

Doc Fords- for lunch or Dinner.  DH fell in love with the macadamia crusted grouper (he ordered it twice) and I had the Yucatan Shrimp.(twice)  I cant remember what the BFF had, he wasn't saying yumyumyum with every bite...LOL.

Jerry's, yes it's a grocery store, but there is a great restaurant attached.  I had the mahi mahi tacos.

Sunday we were back on the road, and drove to the Hampton Inn in Gainesville.  Very nice, very clean, and no bad smells.  We had talked about walking the local gardens on HWY 24, we had gone last year, but thought better of it, due to traffic near Atlanta.  We got home around 4, immediately filled the washing machine up, and went and got a burger for dinner.   

The BFF left early Tuesday morning, and both DH and I went back to work.  I did get on line, to see what condo i might be able to rent in 2024, and the prices just for this year had gone up over 500 dollars a week starting this July.  Priced themselves right out of what i am willing to pay.  

We will meet back up with the BFF in Vancouver for our first Holland cruise in May of next year.  This time he paid for the cruise, and we pay for the excursions on the cruise, and for a few days on land after the cruise.  Both glad to be home, i missed you guys and the cats, but I do miss the way I feel when I am "at the beach".

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for today’s report.  I salute fallen police officers.  I will eat any chocolate chip cookies that cross my path. There’s a reason that White Castle burgers got the name sliders but they were delicious just the same. Today’s meal sounds vert tasty but I don’t really like alcohol in my coffee but I enjoy both separately. I haven’t been to today’s port but am enjoying the photos. Knowing that Zandaam is coming in to port shortly I think we will reroute our trip to the grocery store so that we can see the first bhb here in a couple of years.  Today’s gospel reading from John gives us the commandment to love one another, which we try to do here each day.  Prayers for everyone on our list today.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!

• Like 22