The Daily for Thursday 06/02/2022

richwmn

Today is National Moonshine Day, I Love My Dentist Day, and National Leave the Office Early Day

And in that moment, I swear we were infinite.--Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Meal Suggestion for today - butternut squash steaks with brown buttersage sauc
Drink of the Day - Effen Raspberry Lemonade
Wine of the Day - Birichino 2019 Besson Vineyard Old Vines Grenache
Destination of the Day - Dover (London), England, UK

Ships With Passengers

At Sea

Zaandam   Destination Quebec City, Canad eta 06/03
Zuiderdam   Destination Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska eta 06/03

Cadiz, Spain, Sevilla

Nieuw Statendam   07:00 - 17:00

Juneau, Alaska

Nieuw Amsterdam   08:00 - 18:00

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska

Eurodam   07:00 - 13:00
Koningsdam   10:00 - 18:00

Marseille, France Riviera

Oosterdam   08:00 - 18:00

Skagway, Alaska

Noordam   07:00 - 21:00

Stavanger, Norway

Rotterdam   08:00 - 15:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea

Westerdam   Destination Seattle, WA eta 6/7

0602World.thumb.png.a2033c454cb053d5a0588b9da0bd5e8f.png
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 11

Good morning and thank you for the Daily Report.

It's cooled off here, today's high is only 16C (61F).

I've never had moonshine.   I appreciate my dentist.   Now that so many people work from home, I wonder how many leave the office early?

Interesting quote.

I'll pass on the meal but I think the drink sounds wonderful.  Looking forward to reading about the wine.

We've been to London a few times, I'll look to find some pictures.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 31

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Congratulations to Queen Elizabeth on the celebration of her 70 years as monarch of the United Kingdom, the longest in the history of the country. 

Thank's for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

• Like 32

Good morning.  Will pass on the days today.  Not sure about the quote.  The meal sounds wonderful.  Prayers and toasts to our lists.  @dfishpleased the procedure went well yesterday.  @Sharon in AZso sorry about the quarantine for your DH.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Please continue to use caution.

Quick easy drink today.

Effen Raspberry Lemonade:

Ingredients
1 part EFFEN® Raspberry Vodka
2 parts Lemonade

Instructions
Combine ingredients over fresh ice and garnish with a skewered lemon wheel and raspberry.

Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 7.14.52 AM.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  I had flex time my last decade at work and would both arrive and leave early.  Certainly appreciate my dentist but will pass on the moonshine and I think the meal.  It's an interesting quote.  I've been to Dover several times on Crystal but can't remember ever seeing HAL there.  My only BHB from the UK was my first Prinsendam voyage from Tilbury.  My alternative menu selection is Tropical Fruit Medley, Lamb Shank, and Upside Down Pear Crunch Coffee Cake as served on MS Prinsendam June 2, 2015.

Today’s care list:

Dfish recovering from surgery
St. Francis Medical Building
Sharon DH with co id
Malinda with stage 4 cancer
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
Buddy with continuing problems
Dismomx5 and DH in covid quarantine
From the rotation:
Cruzin Terri with continuing health problems
oceansaway17
StLouisSal with weakening legs
1Angelcat facing expensive medicines

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Good result for Dfish
Platinum Jubilee for her Majesty

Volendam housing refugees
All but 1 BHB with guests
Ancient Wanderer new grandson
lazey1 (Koningsdam to 6/4), Sharon in AZ (Oosterdam  to 6/13 + 6 days Venice) and StLouisCruisers and kb4683(Island Princess  to 6/29) at sea
Welcome home kochleffel
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 9

Thank you for today’s Daily Rich! Another lovely morning here. Supposed to be a rainy weekend thanks to Agatha. Might be a bit more dangerous to my fellow Floridians to the Southwest of me, so take care. We all know how these storms can be non-events, as well as the reverse. 

Roy, hopefully you made it home safely. Do you ever suffer from “post-cruise depression”? Morning Dailyites. Hope you slept well @dfish, and have a pain-free day, Debbie. Today I make my final payment on my August-September Alaska land/cruise trip. Perhaps it is really going to happen this year. 🤞🏻

After my long journey to getting healthy, I can really enjoy these one-liners…

BAEE0DA6-6B35-4BAE-BF17-C6BD3C3AF481.jpeg.6530877093f7d0550019ea5e072265dd.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Birichino 2019 Besson Vineyard Old Vines Grenache

All released vintages of this wine have excellent ratings. I would love a taste, since Grenache is the star in some of my favorite red blends. I do not believe I have ever tried it solo. Several online distributors with prices starting at $28.99. 

Winemaker Notes

George and Martha Besson’s old Grenache vineyard near Gilroy is one of the best sites with which Birichino works. It could be nothing but Grenache, yet tastes like no other Grenache. While the wines ultimately revert to their highly refined center of gravity as they resolve some time 4 or 5 years after bottling - an elegant composition of tertiary spices, fruit liqueur and alpine botanical extracts - Besson Grenache generally comes out of the gate dominated by one of those elements. The 2018 falls squarely in the liqueur corner, the effect of the rested fraction of the grapes being at least temporarily buried beneath the considerable cherriosity.

Critical Acclaim

WE95
Wine Enthusiast

The winery’s study of this 110-year-old, dry-farmed vineyard keeps getting better each vintage. Aromas of fresh red currant and raspberry are lifted by chaparral, gravel and turned earth on the nose. There’s an herbal grip to the palate, as a rocky structure frames red-currant, crumpled carnation and rose-petal-tea flavors. Editors’ Choice. 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

Good morning, everyone.  

I slept well last night until 3:00 am.  Got up and took a pain pill and went back to bed until 6:00 am.  Almost 10 hours of sleep.  I'm a little sore this morning, but nothing I can't tolerate.  Ice will help it.  My plans are to lay low today.  Tim is coming over to clean out the gutters, but he doesn't need my help for that.  I just need to move the car out so he can get the ladder.  I think @summer slope's drink recipe would be great once I get off these pain pills.  I'll have to find sugar free lemonade, though.  

Thank you to all who commented last night and this morning.   I truly appreciate you well wishes and concerns.   Like I said before, you can't help but have a good outcome when you have the Daily family behind you!  

I love butternut squash and think today's meal would be a great side dish.  Maybe with a good meat steak?  Or a pork roast?   https://arteflame.com/blogs/news/butternut-squash-steaks-with-brown-butter-sage-sauce-one-the-grill

1819020482_butternutsquashsteak1.jpg.d9b809b7b0c3f3e93a7cba479602c9f2.jpg

The recipes that meets the title of today's meal all come from Epicurious and I have exhausted my free views. The clones were all the same recipe, so I branched out a bit.  Food and wine has a great recipe but the squash is in chunks rather than a slab.  That's ok by me.  https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/butternut-squash-with-brown-butter-and-sage404974961_butternutsquashsteak2.jpg.37e05695f051ae905c01387014eff9c8.jpg

Up last we have a similar recipe from Williams Sonoma.  https://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/roasted-butternut-squash-with-brown-butter-and-sage.html

782113378_butternutsquashsteak3.jpg.fb5d16c31540eb198a884d7406a00aff.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine, the victims of continuing gun violence, and Daily family members who are struggling with challenges.   @Sharon in AZ, I am sorry to hear DH has tested positive.  My friend, the public health doc, says we'll all get it eventually.  Just be vaccinated and boosted to prevent serious illness.   Cheers to those who are celebrating.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.

I'm off to the couch.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 8

Good morning all.  Thanks for our daily report. Happy moonshine day, I’ll sustain thank-you. I do love my dentist, never thought I’d say that. Maybe I will leave work early today. The meal suggestion sounds like a nice side dish.  I haven’t been to today’s port and looking forward to seeing the photos later. Prayers for all on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events and to those of you traveling!

• Like 26

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I've never had moonshine. Dentists are important and I need to find one here. When I was working I very rarely left early.

Interesting quote. I love butternut squash.

Debbie, @dfish, I am happy surgery went well and that you got a good night sleep. Good idea to take it easy today. Prayers you will be pain free.

@Sharon in AZ, Sharon, I am so sorry to hear Craig has tested positive. Praying you continue to feel well and test negative.

It is a beautiful morning here. In fact I'm wondering why I sat down inside instead of on the balcony. Will be moving there with coffee and book right after I click submit. 

Have a great day and remember to smile. 😃

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 29

Good morning.  Thank you for the Daily Reports. As I sit in the truck the mosquitoes are so bad I may weigh in to go to town.  This is the longest we have been at the cabin without leaving. I hate to leave on a beautiful day.  New solar panels and batteries are due tomorrow.  Our dock is still not in.  Fishing is poor and it has been windy but we want to get our boat in soon.  Our weather will be cool so I can wear my mosquito netting comfortably but the black flies seem to bite right through it.  The costs of living in paradise. 

Heading in to watch the Platinum Jubilee celebrations. Prayers for all on Roy's care list.  

• Like 30

Good morning and thanks for the update. It’s a rainy and cool morning, some storms during the night. I’m watching the BBC Jubilee coverage, Her Majesty looks lovely. 
  I’ve been to Dover on land trips and did the ferry to Calais.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.❤️🙏

• Like 26

Good morning to all.

Thank you Rich and Roy for the lists.

Never had Moonshine.  I have a great Dentist and thankfully I don’t have an office I have to leave early anymore.

Yesterday I was so tired from a sleepless night, I could do nothing.  I went to bed at 9 pm and slept until 7 am this morning.  That’s 10 hours.  Very unusual for me.

@dfishI am so happy that you had good results from your surgery.  I hope you have a speedy recovery with no pain.

@Sharon in AZI am so sorry your DH has Covid.  Believe me I know that this is not what you wanted to happen on your cruise.  Make the best of that you can.  

@Heartgroveprayers for your sister and for your family as your go through this hard time.

@StLouisCruisersPrayers for Buddy

@Dismomx5I hope you and DH recover quickly from Covid

i am waiting for a phone call from the Mayo Clinic to get some appointments.  Need to get blood work to find out where the inflammation level is.  I was never able to reduce the Prednisone during the time I was on vacation.  Also have to see the hand surgeon to decide when to have Carpal Tunnel surgery for the second time in both hands.

Prayers for all on the Cares list and Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

I hope every one has a great day and stays safe.

Take care and God Bless,

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.

Today is the start of Her Majesty the Queen's Platinum jubilee.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for the various lists.

Interesting days and quote.

Food sounds nice.

Dover is mainly for ferries but we sailed on NCL Gems maiden voyage in October 2007 from Dover.

Wishing everyone a safe and nice day.

Graham.

• Like 27

Thank you everyone for your well wishes for Craig. They just arrived to sanitize my cabin. Craig was moved about 45 minutes ago to his quarantine cabin. We talked on the phone after he figured out what his cabin number was. He hasn’t had lunch yet since this all took so long. It’s a hurry up and wait situation unfortunately. Thank goodness I’m in a Neptune Suite and have access to the Neptune Lounge. It has been very helpful having them so close. I’m not going ashore today, bummer.  I think some kind of special alert goes out when this happens because the Lounge knew when I went to tell them. 

Debbie @dfish — so glad you are doing good. 

Maxine @AncientWanderer — congratulations on your new DGS!  

Jacqui @kazu — hope all is well.  I have no words except to say that I miss you. 

Graham @grapau27 — congrats on the good blood work. 

I am sure I missed someone/something because I’ve missed reading the Daily for many days. Just know that I care. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning  to all.I had moonshine once....not one if my better memories. I like my dentist but he deserves an award for putting up with an anxious  person. We have not been to the port.

I have made this recipe before but prefer it in the fall and winter. Debbie  @dfish,I  hope you have a good day . Thanks for the recipes!

@Sharon in AZ I am so sorry to hear that Craig is positive.I hope he is feeling better today and that you do not test positive.

My SIL never got Covid when my DB had it a few weeks ago.

Today I am taking  both dogs for their annual Vet visits.I shudder at the cost but they need their shots.They have become good buddies and I often find them sleeping side side while guarding our patient.So sweet.

Terry

• Like 25

Good morning everyone. Every day is I love my dentist day in our house since Sam is a retired dentist. Today is our oldest grandson’s 26th birthday. I don’t know where the years go. Last night we went to sleep early since I had been up from 3am. The gatehouse called and woke us up at 11:30 because there is another couple here with the same last name and the guest probably didn’t have the address. Hard to get back to sleep.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Thank you everyone for your well wishes for Craig. They just arrived to sanitize my cabin. Craig was moved about 45 minutes ago to his quarantine cabin. We talked on the phone after he figured out what his cabin number was. He hasn’t had lunch yet since this all took so long. It’s a hurry up and wait situation unfortunately. Thank goodness I’m in a Neptune Suite and have access to the Neptune Lounge. It has been very helpful having them so close. I’m not going ashore today, bummer.  I think some kind of special alert goes out when this happens because the Lounge knew when I went to tell them. 

Debbie @dfish — so glad you are doing good. 

Maxine @AncientWanderer — congratulations on your new DGS!  

Jacqui @kazu — hope all is well.  I have no words except to say that I miss you. 

Graham @grapau27 — congrats on the good blood work. 

I am sure I missed someone/something because I’ve missed reading the Daily for many days. Just know that I care. 

Have a great day everyone!

I'm so sorry to hear Craig has to go to a quarantine cabin Sharon.

Best wishes to you both.

Graham.

• Like 15

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

No moonshine here but my grandfather had a still out in the woods behind our house when I was growing up. My dentist is OK. Wish I still had my old one.

Debbie @dfish  So glad your surgery is over. Take care of yourself and rest. 

@Sharon in AZ  So sorry to hear about your DH. This virus is wicked and just wont let go. Hope he is doing OK and is in a decent cabin.  Try and enjoy your cruise.

I forgot all about getting insurance for our trip ! It was booked so long ago and we werent even sure Australia/New Zealand would be open. So I put it off and it went right out of my head. Now we have final payment coming up in July. It is a must do today!  I am concerned about all these pop up covid cases. Dont want to end up quarantined on this trip.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 25