The Daily for Wednesday 06/15/2022

richwmn

Good morning and thanks all!  
Hope all who are ill  recover quickly!  
We’re dealing with huge rains and winds that have toppled many huge trees.  We’re under a state of emergency in case of flooding.

Takamatsu is a port near Okayama,  which has one of the three top gardens in Japan. 

F5C5F3BD-0EB9-4FF7-816A-ED44E2363BF4.jpeg

742F0850-8A1B-4E0B-8C96-4C037DD9E06C.jpeg

44BB63EF-9132-443E-A461-BFE281B24069.jpeg

91306C32-B7B5-4E6B-9325-822F7BCCC307.jpeg

7DDF3D2B-961B-4978-BF19-BC0B275167AA.jpeg

1FEEB211-19A7-415A-9784-F0C42B7AC996.jpeg

1685CB38-92B6-425D-8E60-A48FCE64D4CB.jpeg

4B48E5CD-2263-487A-A36C-2B6F275E0359.jpeg

F5FF8243-EFE8-4647-A143-49BF189AB899.jpeg

56B4DBD1-448B-4872-B073-75CB7EBB8058.jpeg

1917EB65-AD5E-4F57-95D0-61C17A7E4AFB.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 9

Today is DH’s day 0. I am in day 1. 

The knocking delivery people either walk or run away, whichever they are most comfortable with. 😂

DH does seem to have some coughing now and runny nose. But his biggest symptom of Covid is grouchiness!  OMG, he’s the worst patient ever!  I hope we survive together until Monday when I hope to be sprung from jail. 🙏🏻

Just to add to the tension meal orders and deliveries today were all messed up. We spoke to Guest Services and they said they’d have someone call about our breakfast order. We’re waiting patiently but that will probably happen about 1 am. 😳 I’m kidding but it just might happen…

• Like 15
  • Thanks 9

6 hours ago, summer slope said:

Legent Sea New Fashioned Cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Legent® Bourbon
½ part Salted Honey Syrup
3 dashes Angostura® Bitters
3 dashes Orange Bitters
Garnish: Nori Strip
Salted Honey Syrup: 6 parts
Raw Honey
2 parts Water
½ tsp Salt

Instructions
Add all ingredients into an empty mixing glass and stir until salted honey syrup is dissolved. Once dissolved, add ice to the glass and stir until well chilled. Strain into a large rocks glass over fresh ice. Skewer a rolled piece of nori to garnish.

To make Salted Honey Syrup: Heat all ingredients gently on a stove top. Stir constantly until salt and honey have dissolved, do NOT boil. Allow to cool and store for future use in a sealed bottle. Be sure to shake well before use.

Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 7.27.33 AM.png

That is a good drink.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@dfish Aldi has soybean pasta and edamame pasta which are supposedly keto friendly. I haven't tried them yet.

Thanks, Vanessa.  I'll have to look for it.  There is an Aldi's not too far from me.

3 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Good morning everyone! Ready to leave to visit my brother in the hospital after I finish this post. The PEG procedure seems to have gone well. It took approximately 2-1/2 hours. The plan is to move him this afternoon to yet another rehab facility. Not sure if it is the worker shortage but the lack of care after the leaking nasal tube is difficult to watch. This may be one of the last times I see him as Sue and I will start our drive back tomorrow after the funeral. Hopefully when we return in July for my niece's wedding he is still with us.

I hope your visit with your brother is a satisfying one for you and for him.  Hopefully he will still be with you when you go back in July. 

3 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

My sister's funeral will be tomorrow. There has been a large amount of people sending their condolences online and I expect the church to be rather full tomorrow for the funeral mass. Our family have always been active in the parish starting with our parents. My sister and her family continued the tradition living 1/2 block from the parish and Grade, Middle, and High Schools. She was known as "Mrs. Helper" which was a children's variation of their last name.

Stay safe!

- Jack

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.  Hugs and warm wishes across the miles.

@mamaofami Your picture is absolutely stunning!  It is no wonder you won.  Congratulations!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  
Hope all who are ill  recover quickly!  
We’re dealing with huge rains and winds that have toppled many huge trees.  We’re under a state of emergency in case of flooding.

Takamatsu is a port near Okayama,  which has one of the three top gardens in Japan. 

F5C5F3BD-0EB9-4FF7-816A-ED44E2363BF4.jpeg

742F0850-8A1B-4E0B-8C96-4C037DD9E06C.jpeg

44BB63EF-9132-443E-A461-BFE281B24069.jpeg

91306C32-B7B5-4E6B-9325-822F7BCCC307.jpeg

7DDF3D2B-961B-4978-BF19-BC0B275167AA.jpeg

1FEEB211-19A7-415A-9784-F0C42B7AC996.jpeg

1685CB38-92B6-425D-8E60-A48FCE64D4CB.jpeg

4B48E5CD-2263-487A-A36C-2B6F275E0359.jpeg

F5FF8243-EFE8-4647-A143-49BF189AB899.jpeg

56B4DBD1-448B-4872-B073-75CB7EBB8058.jpeg

1917EB65-AD5E-4F57-95D0-61C17A7E4AFB.jpeg

Looking back at "our" Japan cruise, we were very fortunate to have been on it. The cool days were a good trade off for the spring gardens.

• Like 19

🥵🌡️🥵 We've just hit an actual 90°F with a Real Feel Temperature of 101°F! Too hot, too soon! The historical average for June 15th is 76°F. Last year it was just 74°F. And, my town usually enjoys cooling breezes from Lake Michigan, but not today. Today it's way too hot, way too soon for summer in Northwest Michigan! 🥵🌡️🥵

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

9 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

🥵🌡️🥵 We've just hit an actual 90°F with a Real Feel Temperature of 101°F! Too hot, too soon! The historical average for June 15th is 76°F. Last year it was just 74°F. And, my town usually enjoys cooling breezes from Lake Michigan, but not today. Today it's way too hot, way too soon for summer in Northwest Michigan! 🥵🌡️🥵

We're at 94 with a feel like temp of 104.  I agree - way too hot for June.  Glad I'll be in Norway for half of July.

• Like 20

Good Afternoon All,

The sun just came out and it’s heating up here. Regardless, I have a chuck in the crockpot slowly metaphorsing into chili con carne. We’ll have it for dinner tonight, and will freeze some to take on our upcoming trip to Grand Canyon. We plan to microwave it in our cabin.

@rafinmdIts now official: My friend and I have tickets to Come from Away. It’s playing within driving distance, and I’ve wanted to see it since several of your posts. (And that is really unusual, because I just am NOT a theater person. Nor a movie person. I think the last play I saw was Evita, back in the 90s.)

@Heartgrove Will be thinking about your family tomorrow.

@StLouisCruisers DH being positive in a second big “oh no!”  Hang in there. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.  I survived the yard work, and even got a few weeds pulled out of the grass, but there are a lot more left.  Unfortunately, they do not repond to weed killer except the extremely expensive weed killer; so, I'll just keep mowing them.  🐔😉 The humidity was not as bad as I expected, and the wind helped.

The rest of the day will be spent inside, and not doing much. I might just spend time with the book I'm reading.

Dinner will be easy, as we'll be having some of the chicken I roasted Monday, along with corn-on-the-cob, salad and wine.

@ger_77 Gerry, I understand how you feel about where the time went.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your DS.

@Sharon in AZ  Sharon, I'm glad you are enjoying Venice.  Great picture of the moon reflecting in the water.

@jayhawk66  Good to know you made it safely to NC.  Hope the temperatures cool off soon.

@mamaofami  Carol, thank you for sharing your beautiful picture.  I can see why it won.  I couldn't help thinking it would make a great, but challenging jigsaw puzzle.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, keeping my fingers crossed 🤞 the bonding stays put this time.  I hope the Bendryl and other antihistamines prevent a repeat reaction to the injection.  Stay cool.

@grapau27  Your garden looks lovely and relaxing.  Love the picture of the white rabbits.

@Heartgrove  Jack, I hope you have a good visit with your DB, and I'm glad his PEG surgery went well.  I'm sending positive thoughts that he is with you in July.  Also, sending hugs and best wishes for strength for you and your family tomorrow at your sister's funeral.  Safe travels home.

@bennybear  Hope you are keeping safe with the severe rain and winds.  Thank you for your pictures of Takamatsu.  I loved the one of the three turtles.

@kazu  Jacqui, your flower pictures are lovely.  I loved the picture of the red fox.  Once, when we were in the Yukon, a red fox stopped in the middle of a backcountry road and just sat there while we took his picture.  It sure looked like he was deliberately posing for us.

@HAL Sailer  I just checked, and it's 93F but feels like 99F, a little cooler than the last several days, and less than the next 10 or so days.  It's too hot, too early just about everywhere this year.

@marshhawk  Ann, I love the southern magnolias, and there are many in this area.  Unfortunately, we can't plant one here as our soil is too thin and covers a layer of limestone.  Twenty years ago, DH gave me a magnolia for my birthday.  By the time we moved seven years later, it had matured enough to be covered in blossoms.  We went by our old house the last time we were in the area, and sadly 😪 discovered the new owners had gotten rid if it.  

Lenda

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

42 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

@rafinmdIts now official: My friend and I have tickets to Come from Away. It’s playing within driving distance, and I’ve wanted to see it since several of your posts. (And that is really unusual, because I just am NOT a theater person. Nor a movie person. I think the last play I saw was Evita, back in the 90s.)

I am not a theater person either, although a bit more recently.  I will see the show again June 30 before boarding QM2 July 1.  It will be the first time since March 8, 2020 when QM2 was in Melbourne.

It's been a crazy few days.  I tend to look for a local church when I am cruising.  I have  a church in Miami and ended up on their mailing list.  I learned Saturday that their assistant pastor, a gentlemen who has made a very positive impression on me the times I have visited there, was denied full ordination in his denomination because he is gay.  I am praying that the situation will change next year.  I have shared this with my own church which is very dedicated to full inclusion.

I am also working on a major financial report for my own church and having some difficulty getting the numbers together, and dealing with paying for a major project at the fire house.

Finally, I really need to get packing for my QM2 cruise.  My Luggage Forward package arrived today and I need to get the bag ready by June 22.

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, kazu said:

"... it’s special and thoughtful of him as he took the pic with one of Jose’s lenses that he was gifted.  Very sweet of him to show me he was using it."

Isn't it wonderful when gift recipients tell/show how they are enjoying their gift? That acknowledgement adds joy to the "thanks" they've already said!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon, I hope everyone is having a great day. It’s been a frustrating week., I finally had a therapy appointment this morning for my hand, it took a month from the time the request was made till the new script was issued, very unhappy with the whole situation. The bottom line is not much can be done, he recommended Botox and then exercise. The Botox request will take at least a month to process and can’t be done here, will have to go back to Hershey. Also, he was unable to find the MRI results and wasn’t happy with my comment that 10 days after it was done I received a request from Hershey to schedule it. He’s looking into it. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists. 🙏❤️

• Like 14
  • Thanks 7

48 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

Isn't it wonderful when gift recipients tell/show how they are enjoying their gift? That acknowledgement adds joy to the "thanks" they've already said!

It is.  He did it for just that reason and if Jose is looking down he’’d be smiling.  There is still a ton of camera equipment here and DH’s wish was for his son or my BIL to have it.  Sadly, his son doesn’t share his Dad’s love of photography or even Jose’s fastidiousness in dress so I hope my BIL will come back when he can to take what he wants and maybe either a) find a good place to donate it or b) help me sell it.  I prefer the former.

there are 7 book cases on Jose’s shelves in his office full of lenses, cameras, filters, etc. I just finished organizing them two days ago.  It took a while.

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Today is DH’s day 0. I am in day 1. 

The knocking delivery people either walk or run away, whichever they are most comfortable with. 😂

😂 😆 

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

DH does seem to have some coughing now and runny nose. But his biggest symptom of Covid is grouchiness!  OMG, he’s the worst patient ever!  I hope we survive together until Monday when I hope to be sprung from jail. 🙏🏻

I feel for you.  Trust me, doctors are the worst patients ever - DH was rarely sick but OMG if he was - talk about moaning and groaning and definitely grumpy.  Any ear plugs?  You might need them 😉 I find most men are grumpier as patients than women..

I hate to say it, but I think God created women to have babies for a reason - many men would not be able to handle the pain or discomfort 😉 (guys, please forgive me) 

@bennybear fantastic photos - thanks so much for sharing them 👍. Gorgeous gardens ♥️ 

@1ANGELCAT yikes on your heath trial and tribulations today.  OMG.  I sure hope there can be some movement forward sooner 🤞 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, kazu said:

It is.  He did it for just that reason and if Jose is looking down he’’d be smiling.  There is still a ton of camera equipment here and DH’s wish was for his son or my BIL to have it.  Sadly, his son doesn’t share his Dad’s love of photography or even Jose’s fastidiousness in dress so I hope my BIL will come back when he can to take what he wants and maybe either a) find a good place to donate it or b) help me sell it.  I prefer the former.

there are 7 book cases on Jose’s shelves in his office full of lenses, cameras, filters, etc. I just finished organizing them two days ago.  It took a while.

😂 😆 

I feel for you.  Trust me, doctors are the worst patients ever - DH was rarely sick but OMG if he was - talk about moaning and groaning and definitely grumpy.  Any ear plugs?  You might need them 😉 I find most men are grumpier as patients than women..

I hate to say it, but I think God created women to have babies for a reason - many men would not be able to handle the pain or discomfort 😉 (guys, please forgive me) 

@bennybear fantastic photos - thanks so much for sharing them 👍. Gorgeous gardens ♥️ 

@1ANGELCAT yikes on your heath trial and tribulations today.  OMG.  I sure hope there can be some movement forward sooner 🤞 

I don't post much  but I saw your post about camera equipment.  I don't know if in Canada your schools accept donations but cameras and photo equipment are things that are expensive for many schools and high school students love photography.  

So sorry to hear about the passing and illnesses of so many people who are close to the posters on this board.  And of course Covid on cruises which doesn't seem to be letting up any time soon.  

You are a wonderful group of caring people and it is so nice to be able to read posts that show love and respect for each other.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, tupper10 said:

I don't post much  but I saw your post about camera equipment.  I don't know if in Canada your schools accept donations but cameras and photo equipment are things that are expensive for many schools and high school students love photography.  

So sorry to hear about the passing and illnesses of so many people who are close to the posters on this board.  And of course Covid on cruises which doesn't seem to be letting up any time soon.  

You are a wonderful group of caring people and it is so nice to be able to read posts that show love and respect for each other.  

What a lovely post ♥️ 

thanks for the suggestion very much.  Great idea - I will check with the schools down the road - I need to wait to make sure the beneficiaries don’t want anything else.  right now, I’m hitting a lot of road block due to not wanting “physical donations” due to covid.  The medical library who had agreed to take his medical books when he retired is still refusing them - and the college, etc.  Seems kind of crazy to me but it is what it is.  

• Like 14

21 minutes ago, kazu said:

😂 😆 

Jacqui, I'm glad your DBIL is enjoying using Jose’s lens.  DH also loves photography, and even worked as a photographer for the student publications at The University of Texas at Austin when in school there.  I believe he still has 99.99 percent of his camera collection.

I have always said that if men were to be the ones to give birth, no family would have more than one child.

Lenda

• Like 8
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good afternoon, I hope everyone is having a great day. It’s been a frustrating week., I finally had a therapy appointment this morning for my hand, it took a month from the time the request was made till the new script was issued, very unhappy with the whole situation. The bottom line is not much can be done, he recommended Botox and then exercise. The Botox request will take at least a month to process and can’t be done here, will have to go back to Hershey. Also, he was unable to find the MRI results and wasn’t happy with my comment that 10 days after it was done I received a request from Hershey to schedule it. He’s looking into it. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists. 🙏❤️

What a mess your search for help with your hand has been.  I hope things will improve soon.

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all who participate in this thread.  It is a pleasure to read.  Prayers for all in need — and there are many. 

I really like when a ship does a nondenominational church service on Sundays at sea.  Roy — have you been to a service on QM2?  I was on one once and as I sat down I noticed a placard that said “reserved for Her Majesty the Queen”.  Since she wasn’t onboard I knew I was ok!

Reminds me of when my DH got to a hotel very late when on a business trip years ago. His room had been given away and he was told that there were no rooms available.  So my smart alecky husband said, “So if Bill Clinton came here tonight you would not have a room for him?  Response - Well, of course, we would have a room for the President.  DH response - Well, I know he’s not coming so I’ll take his room.”  He got the Presidential Suite — no extra charge!

Doing my last minute packing.  My friend who canceled had two positive tests and then two negative tests.  But she feels awful and afraid of being quarantined.  So I agree with her decision not to go.  I have made many trips as a solo so I am not really concerned.  I can always find people with whom to speak!!

Katherine

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

I really like when a ship does a nondenominational church service on Sundays at sea.  Roy — have you been to a service on QM2?  I was on one once and as I sat down I noticed a placard that said “reserved for Her Majesty the Queen”.  Since she wasn’t onboard I knew I was ok!

Wishing you a great cruise.  I have done quite a few, as on transatlantics the likelihood of being at sea on a Sunday is quite high.  For my upcoming cruise we are in Bar Harbor on Sunday so there won't be a service.  The service follows the Anglican ritual so I've become quite comfortable with that liturgy and in Bar Harbor  I would normally worship at the Congregational church.  I noticed when on Adventure that there's an Anglican church right next door which is a nice backup plan if tendering runs a bit slowly as their service is an hour later than the Congregational. 

Roy.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I am not a theater person either, although a bit more recently.  I will see the show again June 30 before boarding QM2 July 1.  It will be the first time since March 8, 2020 when QM2 was in Melbourne.

It's been a crazy few days.  I tend to look for a local church when I am cruising.  I have  a church in Miami and ended up on their mailing list.  I learned Saturday that their assistant pastor, a gentlemen who has made a very positive impression on me the times I have visited there, was denied full ordination in his denomination because he is gay.  I am praying that the situation will change next year.  I have shared this with my own church which is very dedicated to full inclusion.

I am also working on a major financial report for my own church and having some difficulty getting the numbers together, and dealing with paying for a major project at the fire house.

Finally, I really need to get packing for my QM2 cruise.  My Luggage Forward package arrived today and I need to get the bag ready by June 22.

Roy

How sad to hear your story of this young man,  glad your church is fully inclusive. 
good luck packing 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

It's been a crazy few days.  I tend to look for a local church when I am cruising.  I have  a church in Miami and ended up on their mailing list.  I learned Saturday that their assistant pastor, a gentlemen who has made a very positive impression on me the times I have visited there, was denied full ordination in his denomination because he is gay.  I am praying that the situation will change next year.  I have shared this with my own church which is very dedicated to full inclusion,.

I have been following this story here in SoFlo,  it doesn't seem right after how much time  and service he has apparently given to this church.  How was this not known until now? 

Mary 

• Like 10