The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday June 30th, 2022

richwmn

4 hours ago, bennybear said:

@smitty34877 happy birthday to your DH,  it is also my DHs birthday today.  

A very happy birthday to your DH, Brenda.  Hope it’s a really good one!

3D3E7FCE-0EDD-4DD1-BEFF-8D6FB8BCF60C.jpeg.f61db5c402370171666d4522dad6946f.jpeg

4 hours ago, bennybear said:

754B2FCC-021E-4D82-BC07-59AA149FD6F3.jpeg

That looks like a very pretty peony to me 😉 👍 

4 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I eventually called the doctor's office about Pat's nosebleed, really heavy and lots of clots (sorry! TMI?), and was told to take him to the hospital, so we went to the General where there was a lineup out the doors to Emergency, so we turned around and made for the little hospital near us, which I always forget about, the Saanich Peninsula Hospital, and  I just dropped him off there.   He has the newspaper to read and I will  wait for his call to pick him up.  If I am at my hairdresser, DD will have to go to get him, and hopefully she will be back from the dentist and feeling okay...  

i hope they can quickly get Pat’s nosebleed resolved, Ann 🙏🏻 

Good call on the other hospital 👍 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I eventually called the doctor's office about Pat's nosebleed, really heavy and lots of clots (sorry! TMI?), and was told to take him to the hospital, so we went to the General where there was a lineup out the doors to Emergency, so we turned around and made for the little hospital near us, which I always forget about, the Saanich Peninsula Hospital, and  I just dropped him off there.   He has the newspaper to read and I will  wait for his call to pick him up.  If I am at my hairdresser, DD will have to go to get him, and hopefully she will be back from the dentist and feeling okay...  

I hope they have stopped Pat’s nosebleed by now. Years ago, DH and I were on a road trip to California and he got a nosebleed that got worse and worse. It seriously looked like something out of a movie. He went through two boxes of Kleenex and a good sized towel. It was like you described Pat’s.
After six hours he finally let me take him to a hospital. (Thank you, travel medical!) They found his blood pressure was through the roof, and basically blew the weakest pipe, so to speak. He actually passed out briefly from loss of blood. His nose was cauterize, packed, and he was given medication to bring down the blood pressure. Then we went back to our rental. It slowed it down to an intermittent drip that finally stopped during the night. 

Best of luck to you both.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I hope they have stopped Pat’s nosebleed by now. Years ago, DH and I were on a road trip to California and he got a nosebleed that got worse and worse. It seriously looked like something out of a movie. He went through two boxes of Kleenex and a good sized towel. It was like you described Pat’s.
After six hours he finally let me take him to a hospital. (Thank you, travel medical!) They found his blood pressure was through the roof, and basically blew the weakest pipe, so to speak. He actually passed out briefly from loss of blood. His nose was cauterize, packed, and he was given medication to bring down the blood pressure. Then we went back to our rental. It slowed it down to an intermittent drip that finally stopped during the night. 

Best of luck to you both.

BTW - I like Saanich Pen better than General anyway, so it may be for the best!

• Like 4

Everything seems fine now, after a wait at the hospital the nosebleed had stopped, I guess, so they didn’t cauterize as I had thought they would, just put some Vaseline up his nostrils and told him to do it every day for a week.  Hope that will be enough.  It has been dry lately.  

I got my haircut, but I’m not too happy with it.  I wish my regular beautician had been available.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

What a busy 2 days for us!  Yesterday we disembarked the Island Princess (along with Kay @kb4683), and took the transfer to Heathrow.  It sounds like we'd rather have gone to Gatwick due to what Kay mentioned about having a smooth travel day.  We arrived at Heathrow Terminal 3 about 10:15 and were standing in a line with hundreds of others trying to drop our bags.  First we had to check in DH at the kiosk because I was only able to check in myself on my Delta app.  No idea what the issue was.  The line moved so slowly they had to ask several times if people were on specific flights so they could take them out of the drop bag line and get to security in time to make those flights.  Finally we arrived at the front of the drop off queue.  Then instead of sending us up the nearby escalator to security he directed us to go outside and walk to the furthest end of the terminal and go through security there.  The lines upstairs were so long for security they were sending people to other spots in the terminal so they could extend the line further down the corridors!  We waited in security's line for another hour.

Oh my gosh, it was an incredibly difficult experience.  They really make you jump through hoops.  And when we finally got to the scanning area, I saw the employees going through everyone's ziploc bag of small toiletries and "massaging" the tubes of this and that.  Everything took 10 times longer than it should have.  After I walked through the scanner, they sent me to the full body scan machine, then they wanded my body because my right armpit was apparently very suspicious.  Seriously!  Then they swiped both my shoes.  I thought I'd never pass inspection!  DH had it worse, they wanted to inspect his laptop and he was behind a clueless woman who had every problem you can imagine finishing up.  Couldn't even close the piece of luggage.  I'm telling you, it was the worst time I've ever had in an airport and that includes Charles De Gaulle. 😬 

Then the flight was going to be delayed 30 minutes.  We were notified of that by email when we awoke.  Well as long as it isn't cancelled, I thought, we can handle this.  When we got to the gate area, which was a closed room,  DH was chosen at random for another inspection.  He had to remove his hiking boots, open the luggage and backpack, the whole nine yards!  He only wears the boots when he doesn't want to add too much weight to the luggage.  Lots of work taking on and off.

Finally we were all boarded, late of course.  We ended up taking off about an hour late.  

After the nine hour flight, we taxied to the gate at Atlanta's airport but stopped short of it.  We were told there was a storm north of the city and due to work rules, the ground crew weren't allowed outside until the danger was over.  So we sat in our seats for another 20-30 minutes.  Trying to get off the plane took about 15 minutes.  Then we went through Immigration (thank goodness for Global Entry), waited a good while for luggage, and passed on through the doors to the International terminal.  Our dear neighbors had been waiting for us in the parking garage instead of driving around waiting for us to get outside.  We ended up at home about 9:30 also, like Kay and Jim did.  We normally don't ask people to pick us up or drive us to the airport but did this time.  Next cruise I plan to drive to Fort Lauderdale and back instead of worrying about airline troubles.

Of course we were both very tired because of the jet lag.  We went to bed around 11 pm which our bodies thought was 4 am.  I noticed my lower legs and feet were swollen which is unusual for me!  I took some Tylenol PM to help me sleep, elevated my feet on a pillow and was out till about 6:30 this morning.  I've been having some pain behind my knee the past couple of months so think I'd better get an appointment with my doctor to see if I have any vein issues I'm not aware of.

We went to the grocery very early, then had to begin unpacking, go through mail, and load and loads of laundry.  It's good to be home though.  At least we didn't have to sit for hours for cancelled flights like Jacqui did.  So glad to read today you made it home okay and with luggage.  I'm so relieved my luggage made it home with us too.  I've heard stories of bags not making it onto flights recently at Heathrow.  

Happy birthday wishes to Terry @smitty34877's DH and also to Brenda @bennybear's DH.  Many happy returns!  

@1ANGELCAT I'm sorry to hear your Jaguar just passed away.  Even knowing it was coming it had to be a difficult day.  

Joy @Seasick Sailorthank goodness your friend Ron was able to have his gall bladder surgery done so quickly.  He must have been in a lot of pain.  

I hope to get back on schedule with the Daily in the morning.  I see today was Port Lincoln.  That is a repeat port, last seen here Sept. 5, 2021.  We have not been there before.  I don't think we saw any pictures today of it though which is unfortunate.  I'm sure it's an interesting place.  And how funny Andalsnes, Norway was listed yesterday.  We were just there Saturday.  That's the day DH got out of Covid jail, so we took a short walk around town.  We both tired so quickly we couldn't go too far.  But I have to say it seems like a town you might want to get a tour to somewhere near.  I did have that beautiful view of the mountain right off the ships's starboard side though.  And it's also the place where the gondolas took people up to the top of one of the mountains for a pretty view.  

Have a good night everyone.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Happy Birthday to @bennybear's DH and @smitty34877's DH.

1902283369_HappyBirthday3.jpg.c9688296a3b2f38f43adb688d18d206a.jpg

@Vict0riann I am glad Pat's nosebleed stopped.  Really dry air can do it along with the blood pressure issue mentioned by @Horizon chaser 1957.  One of my sister's had a bout with really bad nosebleeds and it was due to blood pressure.  

@JazzyV I'm glad your legs are getting better.  I hope it resolves quickly.

@StLouisCruisersWelcome home!  Your experience at Heathrow reminds me of one I had at Gatwick.  They only had two agents checking everyone in for the flight and I stood in line for over 2 hours.  And Charles De Gaulle is the worst!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Everything seems fine now, after a wait at the hospital the nosebleed had stopped, I guess, so they didn’t cauterize as I had thought they would, just put some Vaseline up his nostrils and told him to do it every day for a week.  Hope that will be enough.  It has been dry lately.  

I got my haircut, but I’m not too happy with it.  I wish my regular beautician had been available.  

Ann, that is good news about Pat's nosebleed stopping.    I hope the Vaseline prevents another nosebleed.

24 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

What a busy 2 days for us!  Yesterday we disembarked the Island Princess (along with Kay @kb4683), and took the transfer to Heathrow.  It sounds like we'd rather have gone to Gatwick due to what Kay mentioned about having a smooth travel day.  We arrived at Heathrow Terminal 3 about 10:15 and were standing in a line with hundreds of others trying to drop our bags.  First we had to check in DH at the kiosk because I was only able to check in myself on my Delta app.  No idea what the issue was.  The line moved so slowly they had to ask several times if people were on specific flights so they could take them out of the drop bag line and get to security in time to make those flights.  Finally we arrived at the front of the drop off queue.  Then instead of sending us up the nearby escalator to security he directed us to go outside and walk to the furthest end of the terminal and go through security there.  The lines upstairs were so long for security they were sending people to other spots in the terminal so they could extend the line further down the corridors!  We waited in security's line for another hour.

Oh my gosh, it was an incredibly difficult experience.  They really make you jump through hoops.  And when we finally got to the scanning area, I saw the employees going through everyone's ziploc bag of small toiletries and "massaging" the tubes of this and that.  Everything took 10 times longer than it should have.  After I walked through the scanner, they sent me to the full body scan machine, then they wanded my body because my right armpit was apparently very suspicious.  Seriously!  Then they swiped both my shoes.  I thought I'd never pass inspection!  DH had it worse, they wanted to inspect his laptop and he was behind a clueless woman who had every problem you can imagine finishing up.  Couldn't even close the piece of luggage.  I'm telling you, it was the worst time I've ever had in an airport and that includes Charles De Gaulle. 😬 

Then the flight was going to be delayed 30 minutes.  We were notified of that by email when we awoke.  Well as long as it isn't cancelled, I thought, we can handle this.  When we got to the gate area, which was a closed room,  DH was chosen at random for another inspection.  He had to remove his hiking boots, open the luggage and backpack, the whole nine yards!  He only wears the boots when he doesn't want to add too much weight to the luggage.  Lots of work taking on and off.

Finally we were all boarded, late of course.  We ended up taking off about an hour late.  

After the nine hour flight, we taxied to the gate at Atlanta's airport but stopped short of it.  We were told there was a storm north of the city and due to work rules, the ground crew weren't allowed outside until the danger was over.  So we sat in our seats for another 20-30 minutes.  Trying to get off the plane took about 15 minutes.  Then we went through Immigration (thank goodness for Global Entry), waited a good while for luggage, and passed on through the doors to the International terminal.  Our dear neighbors had been waiting for us in the parking garage instead of driving around waiting for us to get outside.  We ended up at home about 9:30 also, like Kay and Jim did.  We normally don't ask people to pick us up or drive us to the airport but did this time.  Next cruise I plan to drive to Fort Lauderdale and back instead of worrying about airline troubles.

Of course we were both very tired because of the jet lag.  We went to bed around 11 pm which our bodies thought was 4 am.  I noticed my lower legs and feet were swollen which is unusual for me!  I took some Tylenol PM to help me sleep, elevated my feet on a pillow and was out till about 6:30 this morning.  I've been having some pain behind my knee the past couple of months so think I'd better get an appointment with my doctor to see if I have any vein issues I'm not aware of.

We went to the grocery very early, then had to begin unpacking, go through mail, and load and loads of laundry.  It's good to be home though.  At least we didn't have to sit for hours for cancelled flights like Jacqui did.  So glad to read today you made it home okay and with luggage.  I'm so relieved my luggage made it home with us too.  I've heard stories of bags not making it onto flights recently at Heathrow.  

Happy birthday wishes to Terry @smitty34877's DH and also to Brenda @bennybear's DH.  Many happy returns!  

@1ANGELCAT I'm sorry to hear your Jaguar just passed away.  Even knowing it was coming it had to be a difficult day.  

Joy @Seasick Sailorthank goodness your friend Ron was able to have his gall bladder surgery done so quickly.  He must have been in a lot of pain.  

I hope to get back on schedule with the Daily in the morning.  I see today was Port Lincoln.  That is a repeat port, last seen here Sept. 5, 2021.  We have not been there before.  I don't think we saw any pictures today of it though which is unfortunate.  I'm sure it's an interesting place.  And how funny Andalsnes, Norway was listed yesterday.  We were just there Saturday.  That's the day DH got out of Covid jail, so we took a short walk around town.  We both tired so quickly we couldn't go too far.  But I have to say it seems like a town you might want to get a tour to somewhere near.  I did have that beautiful view of the mountain right off the ships's starboard side though.  And it's also the place where the gondolas took people up to the top of one of the mountains for a pretty view.  

Sandi, I gald you got home safely if not hassle free.  The through  checking of the plastic bags is nothing new.  In 2016, we almost missed our flight to Amsterdam because I had to wait in line about 30 minutes so they could double check one item, my deodorant.   

Glad your luggage made it home with you.  It was nice of your neighbors to pick you up and to wait for your fligh5.

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Happy Birthday to the two DH today.  @StLouisCruisers welcome home.  What an ordeal.  Super glad I don't need to fly.

Roy

1 minute ago, marshhawk said:

My next flight is in May to Vancouver BC, and already I am dreading it.  Haven't booked it yet, just dreading it.

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad you are home, enjoy the rain tonight.

I had an offer yesterday from a friend who is a private pilot to fly me to Fort Lauderdale for my Christmas / World Cruise. Athens airport is about 10 minutes from where I live. I won't have to deal with Atlanta Airport!

• Like 22

I hope I'm not out of line here but Pat's nosebleed may have been a blessing.  High blood pressure is notorious as the "silent killer" and getting it treated is very important.

Roy

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Just now, rafinmd said:

I hope I'm not out of line here but Pat's nosebleed may have been a blessing.  High blood pressure is notorious as the "silent killer" and getting it treated is very important.

Roy

They did take his blood pressure, etc., and said he was okay.  He is on blood pressure meds, and checks his BP fairly regularly.   I think it was just the dry air.  But thanks for your concern.😄

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Oh my gosh, it was an incredibly difficult experience.  They really make you jump through hoops.  And when we finally got to the scanning area, I saw the employees going through everyone's ziploc bag of small toiletries and "massaging" the tubes of this and that.  Everything took 10 times longer than it should have.  After I walked through the scanner, they sent me to the full body scan machine, then they wanded my body because my right armpit was apparently very suspicious.  Seriously!  Then they swiped both my shoes.  I thought I'd never pass inspection!  DH had it worse, they wanted to inspect his laptop and he was behind a clueless woman who had every problem you can imagine finishing up.  Couldn't even close the piece of luggage.  I'm telling you, it was the worst time I've ever had in an airport and that includes Charles De Gaulle.

Oh my goodness! The last time I departed from Heathrow was in the Olden Days, that is, before spring 2020, but I breezed right through. An agent thanked me for having my things organized properly and following the instructions, which no one else in that line seemed to have done, directed me into the walk-through metal detector after I showed him that my belt didn't have a metal buckle, and that was all. Many large airports are experiencing tremendous backups at security, but it sounds like these folks were making it worse than it needed to be.

The scuttlebutt is that airports let most of the security workers go when travel all but stopped, then were slow to call them back and had no other plan when it turned out that many had moved to other jobs. I have a transit of Amsterdam Schiphol to and from my next cruise, and there have backups of several hours there -- they have making passengers who come to the airport more than four hours early wait outside, in order not to add to the crowding and confusion inside! I shouldn't have to go through a security inspection just for transit, because both the U.S. and Denmark are considered secure enough, so it will just be passport clearance in both directions.

16 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I won't have to deal with Atlanta Airport!

For travel to New Orleans next year, I've booked with a four-hour connection at Detroit in one direction and seven hours in the other, all to avoid ATL.

• Like 11

12 hours ago, ger_77 said:

cut out a smaller size from both and voila, you've got a child sized burger.

Have you heard of sliders; they are very popular here.  They are mini burgers.  Easy to find the rolls at the grocery store.  Actually my friend had sliders in a restaurant for dinner tonight.  Three to an order; he got a beef burger, a lamb burger and a bison burger.

• Like 11

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, I am so sorry for what you went through at Heathrow.  in my opinion it is the worst airport on earth.  I won’t even begin to enumerate my horrible experiences there.

I too have had problems with swollen feet. It started right after I had Covid and lasted for quite a while, even after we got home.  i did take some extra doses of my diuretic and it finally subsided.  i also had pain behind the knees.  At first I thought I might have had a blood clot. I did have one before.  I did not go for an ultrasound. Not sure if I was right or wrong, but the pain finally went away.

I will tell you that Covid did strange things to my body, besides the fatigue.

Please just take it easy.  If the problems don’t go away on their own, go see a doctor.

Don’t worry about unpacking, just do the bare minimum until you feel better.

i hope all these things resolve quickly.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

I had an offer yesterday from a friend who is a private pilot to fly me to Fort Lauderdale for my Christmas / World Cruise. Athens airport is about 10 minutes from where I live. I won't have to deal with Atlanta Airport!

Rich, what a nice offer from your friend.  It's a win-win.  You get to miss the Atlanta airport, long security lines and crowds, and your friend gets flying hours and company.

Lenda

• Like 11

Thanks to all for the good wishes,    DH had a lovely day and the weather even cooperated.  
@StLouisCruisersSorry to hear you too had a nightmare at the airport!  Hope you can rest and recover now that you’re home,  get that knee checked!  
@Cruzin Terri I’m sorry you’re still not 100%,  Hope things improve soon.  
@rafinmd Bon Voyage!  Glad you’re not flying!  
@Vict0riann glad that Pats nosebleed stopped!  What a scare, it must be unusual for it to be so dry. Hope your trip goes well! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily. And thanks for our Cares List and Celebrations/Shout-outs Lists. 

COVID stopped us from shaking hands but people are getting comfortable doing it again. I’m still wary and being Asian I can get away with a bow. 😜

When we moved from VA to CA, we had to drive at night since there was no AC in the car and it was August! One night the Perseid meteor shower was putting on a show so we stopped the car and laid on the hood to watch for a bit. 

Like others, I only do CC and FB. 

Bon Voyage @rafinmdRoy!

Jacqui @kazubeautiful flowers. Glad you are finally home. 

@GTVCRUISER, I remember Banner Waves!

@smitty34877 and @bennybear Happy b-day to your DHs!

@Vict0riannAnn, I’m glad the nosebleed got stopped.

@StLouisCruisers what an ordeal! Glad your home. 

Rich @richwmn what a nice friend. 

I work a half day tomorrow then get my hair colored and cut. Saturday I get my nails done and then volunteer at church both Saturday and Sunday. Monday will be a major packing day. Tuesday I only work for 2 hours then do last minute stuff and try to sleep. I’d like to leave at 5am Wednesday to beat traffic. 🤞Crossing my fingers my flights go OK. 

Thanks to all for caring and sharing. 😘

• Like 13

5 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'm pleased to hear you both got home safely Sandi.

That was an awful ordeal you had at Heathrow.

Lots of British people are experiencing this daily at Heathrow.

We usually fly from our local airport Newcastle and like most regional airports they are a lot easier than Heathrow.

I hope you get your knee issue sorted and the foot and leg swelling is a one off after all the standing around then a long flight.

We both felt tired for a few weeks after our covid infections.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1