The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday July 31st, 2022

richwmn

Today is Mutt’s Day, National Avocado Day, and National Watermelon Day

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four people is suffering from a mental illness. Look at your 3 best friends. If they're ok, then it's you.--Rita Mae Brown

Meal Suggestion for today - Quick Carbonara
Drink of the Day - Strawberry Lemonade Mojito
Wine of the Day - Avalanche 2019 Fendant (Valais)
Destination of the Day - Haines (Skagway), Alaska, US

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 08/01

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska - Juneau, Alaska eta 08/01

Nieuw Amsterdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:30

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada eta 08/01

Noordam

Whittier, Alaska 01:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Santorini Island, Thira, Greece 08:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

Rotterdam 07:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 16:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Seydisfjordur, Ice eta 08/01

Zuiderdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0731World.thumb.png.a3d64ee4a6059a14b163be7f61405e81.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

July 31st already.  Where did the month go?  I hope it was a good one.

It's always Mutt Day in our house!  Not a big fan of avocados, but I do like watermelon.

The meal sounds good, so does the drink.  I hope the wine is wonderful too.

It's a holiday weekend here and the weather is very nice.  High of 28C (82F) this afternoon, and staying like that for tomorrow, except a chance of showers tomorrow afternoon, and we need the rain!

Prayers for everyone!

Stay safe.

• Like 29

Good morning.

We had a nice church service this morning on the 7th Sunday after Trinity.

It is currently 16°C and cloudy.

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich.

Watermelon is getting very popular.

Mixed breed dogs deserve their day.

Mental illness takes many forms.

Today's food sounds nice.

Looking forward to seeing photos of today's port.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

• Like 28

Thank you for the Sunday report, Rich.  I'll pass on all the days although a lot of my fellow dailyites will like Mutt day.  As a math major, I'm quite sure the quote does not apply to small groups.  I think I've sailed to Haines 3 times, Alaska Ferry Matanuska in 1991, Statendam in 2014, and Westerdam in 2018.  Not sure about the meal.  My alternative is Roasted and Raw Carrot Salad, Baked Rigatoni with Italian Sausage, and Ricotta Raspberry Tart as served on MS Westerdam July 31, 2018:

dishes31.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP Dolly Smith
Painful falls for Cruzn Single Sister, Marshhawk, and Lindaler
Heartgrove brother discharged but rapidly declining despite rally
Sharon’s mom with Covid
smitty’s entire family with Covid
Crabbi Patti’s father and now son with Covid
JazzyV knee pain and StLouis Cruiser’s continuing leg issues
Cruzin Terri painful joints
Ren not feeling well
Safe travel for Seasick Sailer
Quartzite DH needing neurosurgeon appointment
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 8/14)
From the rotation:
Tana with persistent problems
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Amy adjusting to widowhood and children
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Shadow in Kazu’s care
Happy birthday luvteaching DS
Crabbi Patti on camp nurse duty to 8/8
Volendam caring for refugees
0106 covering menu suggestions until 8/1
New Zealand reopen for cruising
3 days for Mtn2sea (Nieuw Statendam 8/3 to 8/27)
Vict0riann  (Nieuw Statendam (to 8/3), Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 14

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  I like today’s quote and I enjoy Rita Mae Brown’s Mrs Murphy series.  I enjoy watermelon and the meal suggestion sounds good too.   DH got the ac in his car fixed yesterday.  He let out a scream when the quote came in via email, $2000.  I hope that everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.e37864ae8c9c8a951f19ba034588fccd.png

• Like 32

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! It was cool here this morning. Just delightful! Lots of deer grazing this morning. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites! Off early to the gym, then Aldi, family visits & pool time. 

My Sister loved this one….

07460BA1-B384-47B1-9465-E4EFA455C294.jpeg.352b2a666916ae50b61a0abd21cd9b25.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Avalanche 2019 Fendant (Valais)

Our first Swiss wine and a varietal that I’ve not encountered before. It has an excellent rating from the Wine Enthusiast folk. Would love to try it. A bit elusive, but I found one online distributor offering it for $21.99.

Description

Varietal: Fendant

AVALANCHE WINES BY OLIVIER ROTEN

A Swiss Wine Project

How does a love story begin? Perhaps with a meal and a glass of wine... and the discovery that Switzerland, known for its incredibly beautiful yet sometimes treacherous mountain terrain, is also the home of vineyard lands that, for centuries, have produced wines that evoke the country’s unique culture and terroir. Our Avalanche wines feature several indigenous grape varietals grown in the high-elevation mountain valleys of the Valais region. They have been carefully chosen to showcase what the best Swiss winemakers have known for generations—that Switzerland produces some of the greatest wines (both red & white) in the world, which the rest of the world has not yet discovered. Just like the mountain peaks and valleys, there is much about Switzerland and its’ history, terrain, terroir and tradition still left to discover. What you discover will surprise and possibly even overwhelm you.

Grapes are whole cluster pressed and thereafter the wine goes through fermentation in concrete tanks at controlled temperatures. The wine undergoes partial malolactic fermentation and is then aged for one year in concrete tanks before bottling.

92 Wine Enthusiast

This wine is straw colored, with aromas of orange blossom, jasmine, lemon-lime zest and roasted yellow pepper, with whiffs of petrol and tomato leaf. Bright on entry and in the mouth, it is well balanced, with flavors of orange pith, mango, yellow cherry and fresh oregano. The finish is pleasantly acidic and persistent.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2

All Carbonara is quick to make.  It became popular during the 20th century. The origins of the dish are up for debate.  Some say in 1944 an American soldier added pasta to his ration K, composed of powdered eggs, bacon and liquid cream. Carbonara was born like this, almost by accident.  Another version says, carbonai (coal miners or charcoal burner), invented Carbonara. They prepared this dish from ingredients easy to find and store. According to this theory, black pepper of the Carbonara would resemble the same soot-stained charcoal burners.

I believe this story has some credence.  Renato Gualandi a young chef of Bolognese origin was hired on September 22nd, 1944 to prepare a lunch for the official meeting between the English Eighth Army Division and the American Fifth Army Division in the newly liberated Riccione. “The Americans had fantastic bacon, delicious heavy cream, cheese and powdered egg yolks. I put it all together and served this pasta to the generals and officers for dinner. At the last moment I decided to put some black pepper that gave off an excellent taste. I cooked the egg quite "runny” and they were conquered by the pasta".

The key to a creamy carbonara is to prevent the eggs from scrambling. The crucial moment in making carbonara is at the very end.  This is when you really need to pay attention, because you’re adding raw eggs to hot pasta in a hot pan, and you don’t want to scramble the eggs. Your final sauce should have the consistency of a thin custard that coats the spaghetti.  

·       Take the pan off the heat.

·       Make sure the bottom of the pan is a little wet before you pour in the eggs. Adding a couple of teaspoonfuls of pasta water will do the trick. If the pan is too dry, the eggs will immediately set if they touch its hot surface.

·       Toss the pasta constantly when you add the eggs. Keep tossing the pasta until the eggs begin to thicken and turn to a thin, smooth custard. Stirring helps reduce contact with the hot pan and aerates the eggs, keeping them from curdling, while the heat of the pan and of the pasta cooks the eggs through.

In Italy, classic carbonara is made with guanciale, cured, air-dried pork that’s similar to pancetta. But pancetta comes from the belly of the pig, while guanciale is made from the jowl and has a stronger pork flavor and a more delicate texture. Pancetta is a perfectly good substitute in this recipe, I often use bacon.

Here is a recipe with “quick” recipe in the title.  In addition to the bacon, ham is added.  It also contains black olives.  Leave them out of you don’t like them.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/quick-carbonara/

Quick Carbonara

This is a simple recipe.  Remember to only use freshly grated parmesan.  https://www.spendwithpennies.com/spaghetti-carbonara/

Spaghetti carbonara in a bowl with a fork and spoon

For my vegetarian friends, I love this recipe!  The substitution of sundried tomatoes adds a wonderful flavor.  I frequently make it with mushrooms instead of the pork too.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/meatless-carbonara-12124918

1639586953066.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 15

35 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Sunday report, Rich.  I'll pass on all the days although a lot of my fellow dailyites will like Mutt day.  As a math major, I'm quite sure the quote does not apply to small groups.  I think I've sailed to Haines 3 times, Alaska Ferry Matanuska in 1991, Statendam in 2014, and Westerdam in 2018.  Not sure about the meal.  My alternative is Roasted and Raw Carrot Salad, Baked Rigatoni with Italian Sausage, and Ricotta Raspberry Tart as served on MS Westerdam July 31, 2018:

dishes31.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP Dolly Smith
Painful falls for Cruzn Single Sister, Marshhawk, and Lindaler
Heartgrove brother discharged but rapidly declining despite rally
Sharon’s mom with Covid
smitty’s entire family with Covid
Crabbi Patti’s father and now son with Covid
JazzyV knee pain and StLouis Cruiser’s continuing leg issues
Cruzin Terri painful joints
Ren not feeling well
Safe travel for Seasick Sailer
Quartzite DH needing neurosurgeon appointment
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 8/14)
From the rotation:
Tana with persistent problems
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Amy adjusting to widowhood and children
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Shadow in Kazu’s care
Happy birthday luvteaching DS
Crabbi Patti on camp nurse duty to 8/8
Volendam caring for refugees
0106 covering menu suggestions until 8/1
New Zealand reopen for cruising
3 days for Mtn2sea (Nieuw Statendam 8/3 to 8/27)
Vict0riann  (Nieuw Statendam (to 8/3), Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you Roy for today's lists.

Graham.

• Like 14

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Tina for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here! Have a Blessed Sunday!

Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good Sunday morning friends!  Looks like the same weather as usual this past week, sunny mornings with variable cloudiness during the day and a prediction of rain possible.  At least it feels a few degrees cooler this morning.  Thanks Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  The people here have a great love of animals including dogs of mixed heritage.  Avocados are a healthy food but I eat it very rarely.  I do love watermelon!  The quick carbonara sounds like a good choice for dinner.  The quote is quite funny.  I'm wondering who among my group of friends is the one with mental illness!  

Thank you Graham @grapau27for giving us the sermon this Sunday morning.  Jake @Crazy For CatsI'd scream too if my car AC repair cost $2000.  I don't know how they can justify that cost.  I hope Allen and Joy @Seasick Sailorare on their way safely home from Hawaii.  I wish a few of our "lost' members would come by and reassure us all is well.  Prayers for them and all on our Care list and cheers for the Celebration people.  Also thanks to Tina @0106for another great recipe today.

Haines, Alaska would be a nice port to visit, and since I haven't been there yet I would love to see the photos today.  Haines was posted here last on May 17, 2021.

It's nearly back to school day here in our area of Georgia.  August 3 is the first day of the school year.  That seems awfully early to this midwestern gal.  DD's school district in Ohio is mid August and DS's school district in Michigan schedules the old fashioned way -- the first Tuesday after Labor Day (early Sept. for those who live overseas).  When is first day of school in your districts?

Edited by StLouisCruisers
added information
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Strawberry Lemonade Mojito cocktail:

Ingredients
2 oz Cruzan® Strawberry Rum
1/2 Lemon Wedges
7-10 leaves Fresh Mint Leaves
1 tsp Sugar
2 oz Lemonade, Sparkling
Garnish Strawberries
Garnish Lemon Twist

Instructions
Muddle mint leaves, lemon wedges, and sugar in the bottom of a glass. Add ice, rum, and sparkling lemonade. Stir to distribute ingredients, and garnish with strawberry and a sprig of spanked mint.

Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 7.53.18 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 7

Good morning and thanks for the update. It’s a sunny and cool but the heat is due to return later  this week. 
I have been to Haines several times and used the fast ferry to get to Skagway. It’s a nice town.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.❤️🙏

7D833E33-C3A8-4D54-9165-28A9DBBEF994.jpeg

96ACFE13-56EA-410C-AE65-D5DA25D68B6C.jpeg

BDD6815E-3735-41FF-A619-C91C903DC753.jpeg

2CA6E3AE-49F3-469B-BBCF-763700ED2262.jpeg

9D410EED-A797-42A6-8E2D-1E65FA8D355C.jpeg

F36DAC4D-8356-469E-BD1F-2F550688E009.jpeg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 7

Good morning  Dailyites. Thank you so much for the prayers and good wishes  for our family. Roy  @rafinmd I appreciate  being included on the care list,thanks. We are managing so far although DH and Tana  seem to have more complicated symptoms.

A very special thank you to so many:  @TheKingD, @ger_77@durangoscots, @Quartzsite Cruiser, @marshhawk, @JazzyV@bennybear, @Seasick Sailor@StLouisCruisers@AncientWanderer,   @mamaofami@grapau27, @srdancer @Cruzin Terri and  @Cruising-along. I hope I remembered everyone. 

We have been to Haines,like the recipes and always celebrate Mutt or any type of Dog day here.

Terry

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Funny quote today, nice way to start the day with a laugh.

I'm not wild about avocados but we eat a lot watermelon and cantaloupe.

I like Pasta Carbonara.

Already have been to Publix for a banana run, came home and took a bike ride. 

We've been to Skagway and took a ride on the White Pass Railroad, good trip with great scenery.

One week to go as we sail on the Equinox next Sunday.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

• Like 29

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good Sunday morning friends!  Looks like the same weather as usual this past week, sunny mornings with variable cloudiness during the day and a prediction of rain possible.  At least it feels a few degrees cooler this morning.  Thanks Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  The people here have a great love of animals including dogs of mixed heritage.  Avocados are a healthy food but I eat it very rarely.  I do love watermelon!  The quick carbonara sounds like a good choice for dinner.  The quote is quite funny.  I'm wondering who among my group of friends is the one with mental illness!  

Thank you Graham @grapau27for giving us the sermon this Sunday morning.  Jake @Crazy For CatsI'd scream too if my car AC repair cost $2000.  I don't know how they can justify that cost.  I hope Allen and Joy @Seasick Sailorare on their way safely home from Hawaii.  I wish a few of our "lost' members would come by and reassure us all is well.  Prayers for them and all on our Care list and cheers for the Celebration people.  Also thanks to Tina @0106for another great recipe today.

Haines, Alaska would be a nice port to visit, and since I haven't been there yet I would love to see the photos today.  Haines was posted here last on May 17, 2021.

It's nearly back to school day here in our area of Georgia.  August 3 is the first day of the school year.  That seems awfully early to this midwestern gal.  DD's school district in Ohio is mid August and DS's school district in Michigan schedules the old fashioned way -- the first Tuesday after Labor Day (early Sept. for those who live overseas).  When is first day of school in your districts?

Usually our schools in England go back the first week in September.

In Scotland it is usually 2 weeks earlier in mid August.

I hope your leg pain has eased and hopefully gone Sandi.

Graham.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good morning and thanks for the update. It’s a sunny and cool but the heat is due to return later  this week. 
I have been to Haines several times and used the fast ferry to get to Skagway. It’s a nice town.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.❤️🙏

7D833E33-C3A8-4D54-9165-28A9DBBEF994.jpeg

96ACFE13-56EA-410C-AE65-D5DA25D68B6C.jpeg

BDD6815E-3735-41FF-A619-C91C903DC753.jpeg

2CA6E3AE-49F3-469B-BBCF-763700ED2262.jpeg

9D410EED-A797-42A6-8E2D-1E65FA8D355C.jpeg

F36DAC4D-8356-469E-BD1F-2F550688E009.jpeg

Lovely photos.

Graham.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning  Dailyites. Thank you so much for the prayers and good wishes  for our family. Roy  @rafinmd I appreciate  being included on the care list,thanks. We are managing so far although DH and Tana  seem to have more complicated symptoms.

A very special thank you to so many:  @TheKingD, @ger_77@durangoscots, @Quartzsite Cruiser, @marshhawk, @JazzyV@bennybear, @Seasick Sailor@StLouisCruisers@AncientWanderer,   @mamaofami@grapau27, @srdancer @Cruzin Terri and  @Cruising-along. I hope I remembered everyone. 

We have been to Haines,like the recipes and always celebrate Mutt or any type of Dog day here.

Terry

Additional prayers for Tana and your husband to recover quickly Terry.

Graham.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

A good Sunday morning to all.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend with lots of sunshine.

It is supposed to reach 97 degrees today.  Since we are not going to the beach, I guess it will be indoor activities.  

Thank you to Rich for the Daily and Fleet Report.

I like Mutts, even though I don’t have one.  Not a fan of Avocados, but like watermelon.

i would be interested in trying the quick Carbonara and thank you to Tina for giving us such great instructions along with the recipes. However, we will hold it for another day. Today we are having steak and stuffed mushrooms and potato salad.

The wine seems lovely, but will pass on the drink.

Not sure what to make of the quote.  

Prayers for those on the cares list, especially those with Covid.  

I hope those who took tumbles are recovering from their bruises.  

Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.  Enjoy.

Thank you all for your prayers.  i am feeling a bit better and hope it continues.

Have a great Sunday.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2