The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday August 15th, 2022

richwmn

Good morning, Dailyites, and thank you to Rich, Roy, and to all who post with interesting stuff!  Carbonara is Pat's most favourite dinner, but if we're not in Italy, I usually buy a frozen one for him.  I know, it's cheating....  Our Acadians are your Cajuns - French exiles who came to the New World, ours mainly settled in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick (L'Acadie), yours settled in Louisiana.  So maybe it's Cajun Day, too.  Eat something spicy!

I'm praying for all the sickies here today, Tana especially, and those with Covid.  Hope recovery is rapid.  Congratulations on the new granddaughter, @Heartgrove, she is lovely.  I'm envious of those cruising or about to cruise.  We're just back a couple of weeks and I'm already itching to go again.  Just got an email of a Private Sale, and I'm so tempted by it!  But we spent 7 hours at Emergency on Saturday, and I have been told I must have a colonoscopy, which may take a few months to get, so I'm not sure if it's a good idea to start booking cruises!  

That reminds me, I'd better call my doctor for an appointment, which may also take some time to get.  Happy Monday!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 9

1 minute ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites, and thank you to Rich, Roy, and to all who post with interesting stuff!  Carbonara is Pat's most favourite dinner, but if we're not in Italy, I usually buy a frozen one for him.  I know, it's cheating....  Our Acadians are your Cajuns - French exiles who came to the New World, ours mainly settled in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick (L'Acadie), yours settled in Louisiana.  So maybe it's Cajun Day, too.  Eat something spicy!

I'm praying for all the sickies here today, Tana especially, and those with Covid.  Hope recovery is rapid.  Congratulations on the new granddaughter, @Heartgrove, she is lovely.  I'm envious of those cruising or about to cruise.  We're just back a couple of weeks and I'm already itching to go again.  Just got an email of a Private Sale, and I'm so tempted by it!  But we spent 7 hours at Emergency on Saturday, and I have been told I must have a colonoscopy, which may take a few months to get, so I'm not sure if it's a good idea to start booking cruises!  

That reminds me, I'd better call my doctor for an appointment, which may also take some time to get.  Happy Monday!

Sorry to hear you were told you needed a colonoscopy at Emergency.

If it was serious could they not have booked you straight in?

Prayers 🙏 you get one soon and it shows nothing serious.

Graham.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Sorry about not including the photo of my new granddaughter. I can't seem to get the Edit function to rotate the photo on my phone, plus the 10 minute edit function on CC ran out. I will try again.

1887771549_image000000(2)2.thumb.jpg.6551fa2dee08da547cfac618246c97fe.jpg

Welcome Lilly!

Congratulations, Jack!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Sorry to hear you were told you needed a colonoscopy at Emergency.

If it was serious could they not have booked you straight in?

Prayers 🙏 you get one soon and it shows nothing serious.

Graham.

Thanks, Graham, it's nothing really serious, I've had this little problem before and had my last colonoscopy 11 years ago, when the gastroenterologist told me I would never need to have another.  Maybe he thought I wouldn't last this long!   No fun, and I don't mind if it takes 3 months to fit me in....

PS  And I have a phone appointment with my doctor on Friday to discuss.

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 0106 said:

It is very important that the last line of The Great Gatsby is not taken out of context.  Jay Gatsby pursued wealth , “the American Dream” with the hope of winning Daisy’s love. Nick, the novel’s narrator, says, “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.” 

I believe Nick realized that the only way to accept the past is to learn from it, find new beginnings, while acknowledging the failures that help us grow.  

My high school students often find the lines to mean is no matter how much wealth or success is accumulated we’ll always chase after more in an effort to have it all.  

Perhaps we interpret the end so differently because of our age difference.

0106, Thank you for the comments on Gatsby. As a retired public teacher (science, not English),  a daughter of an English teacher and parent of three, all who had to read The Great Gatsby in high school, we struggle to understand any and all parts of the novel. Earlier this year, my mother, still a great reader at 102 years, commented on Gatsby! Perhaps it is time to give the book another try. 🤔

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I wasn't familiar with Acadian Day. I'll get some relaxation in later, and definitely salute my BFF!

Not understanding the quote; I think I still have the book from high school.

I like the meal. Pass on the drink and wine.

I've never been to Dili. 

It's cloudy out, low 70's and maybe a shower later. I may try to mow the lawn before that (must remember bug repellant, as mosquitos feasted on me from Friday's shrub trimming). I did a few errands this AM, including getting my finances together for the roof replacement. I signed the contract and it'll likely be done next month.

@kazu Continued prayers for you and Shadow.

@aliaschief It sounds like you're enjoying the Rotterdam.

@grapau27 Hopefully the exercises will help you.

@dfish Good luck with the house hunting. Safe travels home. Thanks for the recipes.

@smitty34877 I think it's good you'll keep the ladies longer, as you all recuperate. Extra prayers for Tana.

@ger_77 Hoping you and DH are feeling better.

@Seasick Sailor That VA Caregivers program sounds great.

@Heartgrove Congratulations on the new granddaughter! It's nice that DD and family will be closer soon. And what a sweet picture of her.

@rafinmd Beautiful sunrise picture!

@StLouisCruisers Bummer to hear your leg is still bothering you. Sadie's expression is too much! 😀

@Vict0riann Sorry to hear you had to go to Emergency, and I hope it all works out ok.

Prayers for the Care List and a toast to the Celebration List.

Try to stay safe everyone.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

It seems I decided to celebrate relaxation day after all.  So far, I haven't really done much of anything today, and definitely not what I had planned.  Maybe tomorrow, or maybe not, who knows what will happen tomorrow.  😉

@ger_77  Gerry, I hope you and DH are recovering and feeling better.

@Heartgrove  Jack, thanks for sharing the picture of the cute, new grandbaby, Lilly London.  The Daily has a new baby to watch grow up.

@Vict0riann  Ann, I'm sorry you wound up in the emergency room, and hope you are feeling better.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, I'm sorry your legs are still bothering your.  I hope puppy Kindergarten helps train the "wild child" and her humans.  Sadie is so cute and innocent in the picture.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

So sorry to hear you needed to spend so many hours in Emergency over the weekend.  I hope the doctor visit and colonoscopy go well for you.  No one looks forward to those!

3 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

@HeartgroveCongratulations!  She's beautiful.  

@StLouisCruisersThanks for the picture of cute little Sadie.  I hope the puppy classes help.

That makes two of us that hope the puppy classes help!  She's a real handful.  Several times DH needed some peace and quiet so went upstairs, closed the door and laid down for a rest.  In fact all upstairs doors are kept closed so she doesn't go in the bedrooms.  Someone would head up the stairs and suddenly you'd hear a WHOOSH and that would be Sadie running upstairs after you.  She's faster than we are, that's for sure!🐶

54 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I wasn't familiar with Acadian Day. I'll get some relaxation in later, and definitely salute my BFF!

Not understanding the quote; I think I still have the book from high school.

I like the meal. Pass on the drink and wine.

I've never been to Dili. 

It's cloudy out, low 70's and maybe a shower later. I may try to mow the lawn before that (must remember bug repellant, as mosquitos feasted on me from Friday's shrub trimming). I did a few errands this AM, including getting my finances together for the roof replacement. I signed the contract and it'll likely be done next month.

@kazu Continued prayers for you and Shadow.

@aliaschief It sounds like you're enjoying the Rotterdam.

@grapau27 Hopefully the exercises will help you.

@dfish Good luck with the house hunting. Safe travels home. Thanks for the recipes.

@smitty34877 I think it's good you'll keep the ladies longer, as you all recuperate. Extra prayers for Tana.

@ger_77 Hoping you and DH are feeling better.

@Seasick Sailor That VA Caregivers program sounds great.

@Heartgrove Congratulations on the new granddaughter! It's nice that DD and family will be closer soon. And what a sweet picture of her.

@rafinmd Beautiful sunrise picture!

@StLouisCruisers Bummer to hear your leg is still bothering you. Sadie's expression is too much! 😀

@Vict0riann Sorry to hear you had to go to Emergency, and I hope it all works out ok.

Prayers for the Care List and a toast to the Celebration List.

Try to stay safe everyone.

Yeah, I'm bummed too that the leg is still so painful.   In my opinion the veins on the painful leg are more visible than the other leg.  So I think when I have my therapy evaluation they will notice that too.  Therapy evaluation is next Monday.  They called to set it up while I was away but called the home phone so I got the message yesterday.  

41 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

It seems I decided to celebrate relaxation day after all.  So far, I haven't really done much of anything today, and definitely not what I had planned.  Maybe tomorrow, or maybe not, who knows what will happen tomorrow.  😉

@ger_77  Gerry, I hope you and DH are recovering and feeling better.

@Heartgrove  Jack, thanks for sharing the picture of the cute, new grandbaby, Lilly London.  The Daily has a new baby to watch grow up.

@Vict0riann  Ann, I'm sorry you wound up in the emergency room, and hope you are feeling better.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, I'm sorry your legs are still bothering your.  I hope puppy Kindergarten helps train the "wild child" and her humans.  Sadie is so cute and innocent in the picture.

Lenda

Don't let Sadie's expression fool you!  She IS cute but always on the hunt for adventure.  You should see how high she can jump in the air to catch a soft toy!  

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Sorry about not including the photo of my new granddaughter. I can't seem to get the Edit function to rotate the photo on my phone, plus the 10 minute edit function on CC ran out. I will try again.

1887771549_image000000(2)2.thumb.jpg.6551fa2dee08da547cfac618246c97fe.jpg

She is a cutie!   Congratulations!

I arrived home safely.  It was a frustrating trip today due to construction back ups.  At one point traffic was backed up almost 10 miles.  When I got to the construction site it was two guys with leaf blowers blowing dirt off the road.  I am sure they were doing more, but there was no evidence of it.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

@StLouisCruisersSadie, so cute,   and they call it puppy love......

@Cruzin TerriMy cruise stops at  Grand Cayman on 9/19 8-3:30.  If you are not vaccinated, you don't get to get off the ship.  I wonder if that will change, or if it will be easier to get a tender. Same with Grand Turk (9/16) no vaccine, no get off the ship.  I am double vaxed and double boostered.  And I am still very anxious about getting on this 10 Journeys cruise.  In truth while chatty, by nature I dont search other folks out,  I like quiet.  Hate loud music on the lido deck, hang upstairs and smoke and drink coffee, and if i feel like getting wet, I hang with the kids at the back with the sprinklers and water slides.

I emailed your bus address and info to myself, and will sit down and read it after work tonight.

Chuck was with the PA for more than an hour, then to blood tests.  I took him for ice cream afterwards. I wasn't looking at prices, just wants.  I got two scoops of coffee lovers in a waffle cup. and he got two scoops of some chocolate over load in a waffle cup, with tip, 25.00.  The was at stone cold creamery, and I will not be eating there anytime soon.  DH keeps wanting ice cream, and I was hoping this would break the desire.  I threw mine out before the cup was empty, he suffered through his, until it was soup, and then "after 3 more bites, wait maybe 4"  he threw out the chocolate soup.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 14

34 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@Cruzin TerriMy cruise stops at  Grand Cayman on 9/19 8-3:30.  If you are not vaccinated, you don't get to get off the ship.  I wonder if that will change, or if it will be easier to get a tender. Same with Grand Turk (9/16) no vaccine, no get off the ship.  I am double vaxed and double boostered.  And I am still very anxious about getting on this 10 Journeys cruise.  In truth while chatty, by nature I dont search other folks out,  I like quiet.  Hate loud music on the lido deck, hang upstairs and smoke and drink coffee, and if i feel like getting wet, I hang with the kids at the back with the sprinklers and water slides.

I emailed your bus address and info to myself, and will sit down and read it after work tonight.

Cayman was probably the last island to open to tourists.They were very cautious.  

I will tell you that what i know is dated.  The last time we were there was 2015 when our timeshare least was over.  We loved going there.  I know there is a place on the beach that caters to cruisers.  I don’t know if it is still there.  I am trying to remember the name of it. i am thinking it is called Royal Palms or something like that.  They rent chairs and umbrellas and have a restaurant as well.  i am just not sure of the name. i will see if I can find out the name and let you know. Then you can take a taxi there (not very far up 7 mile beach) and then get a taxi back.  I’ll get back to you with the name.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@StLouisCruisersSadie, so cute,   and they call it puppy love......

Chuck was with the PA for more than an hour, then to blood tests.  I took him for ice cream afterwards. I wasn't looking at prices, just wants.  I got two scoops of coffee lovers in a waffle cup. and he got two scoops of some chocolate over load in a waffle cup, with tip, 25.00.  The was at stone cold creamery, and I will not be eating there anytime soon.  DH keeps wanting ice cream, and I was hoping this would break the desire.  I threw mine out before the cup was empty, he suffered through his, until it was soup, and then "after 3 more bites, wait maybe 4"  he threw out the chocolate soup.

I think it is called cold stone creamery, but close enough.  I can't help wondering why you would want to leave a tip at a place like that.  Did they do something extra for you besides gouging on the price?

Ray

• Like 9

@marshhawkI read this on the Caribbean ports site:

We just left Grand Cayman. I also only ever want a taxi to the beach, a chair to rent and a taxi back. T

I got into a taxi heading towards 7 mile. The driver wasn't sure either if they would have chair rentals due to the holiday but said he would take me back to Coral Beach if Public was not renting chairs. Since I didn't want to spend my day in a taxi, I just jumped off with the others at Coral. BIG MISTAKE!!!! 

It is like being in someone's backyard. The lounging area is separated from the water because of a cement wall, has police like barricades that I assume are playing the role of a railing and you need to take stairs to get to the water from your lounge chair. I paid $5 admission and $10 for a chair. The kind waitress saw the look on my face and recommended the beach just next door. That was exactly what I was looking for. Problem was that I already paid and the lady in charge said there are no refunds (there was a sign reading No Refunds upon entering). BUT I met a couple on the "real beach" who was able to get their money back. I went back to Coral and said the resort was deceptive and I am on vacation. She finally gave in and was refunding all my money.  I told her I'd still pay the admission (she let me know it included bathrooms, wifi and something else, I forget). I took the $10 next door to rent a chair at a real beach!

It was through Salt Water Sports.  They were very friendly and I had a great day. They do have wifi (formally Royal Palms) but no restaurant. I didn't want, need or use any of Coral's facility.

My advice would be that if you don't mind walking (the walk can be on beach with splashes by the water) to pay the $5 admission to Coral so you could still get food, but pay for the chair at Salt. Best of both worlds,  again if you don't mind walking. 

It's what we're planning on doing in December.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

@marshhawkRoyal Palms closed in 2020.  A victim of Covid. That’s what my research turned up.

Also, I don’t know if you want to get a day pass when your ship leaves at 3:30.  that means you should be back at the tender area by 2pm at the latest.  That does not give you much time.  My thought is stay in Georgetown.  If it is still there, there is a great Italian Restaurant I loved run by Italians.  It is called Casanova.  You will love it.  Right on the waterfront.  That would be my choice.

Not a long walk from the tender port.

Terri

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Actually we decided to head to the Botanical Gardens.  We will be tourists on bus.  It's one way to see the island, and will give me an excuse to come back one day to go to Seven Mile Beach.  🤗

Sounds good.  You will enjoy it.

Terri

• Like 5

Thank you Rich @richwmn for posting the Daily and the locations of the Holland America Line Fleet.

Thanks to Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration Lists.

Thanks for the food and drink recipes.

@Heartgrove  Congratulations on the safe arrival of your granddaughter, thank you for sharing the lovely photo of Lilly.

Hope that @ger_77 , and her DH are feeling a little better today.

It;s a sunny day temperature 17 C. 

Had an appointment at a Hair salon this morning,  mask wearing continues.

Best wishes to all on the Care List.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1