1 part Midori® Melon Liqueur
1 part Pinnacle® Pineapple Vodka
1 part Mango Juice
3 parts Pineapple Juice
Splash
Mango Slice
Pineapple Slice

Instructions
Pour all ingredients into a punch bowl over ice. Stir well and garnish with a pineapple and mango slices.

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 8.31.33 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6

th?id=OIP.XET-MW3MFiWe9wcJ57PiKAHaE4&pid=Api&P=0

I looked at my papers on the desk and realize that I have thousands of notes to respond to what's been going on here over the week, and didn't get time to send them, so I have been reading and posting pics.

With 3 gingers living here, the day will be celebrated.  Gingers are known for their loyalty to their owners.  But actually they own us, and the love is reciprocated every day.

I love cherry turnovers, what is a cherry pop over?  Is it the same thing by a different name in different parts of the country?

@ger_77 I loved your line the other day of wanting to be Queen of the Universe, that could transport us all to @kazu to help clean.  I guess you could transport us to @dfishto have helped with the painting, but I would have to bring my car, as the designated driver for the paint, and extra wine.

And actually the car is having surgery this morning.  I think I told you guys about hitting the traveling trash can while driving over to Penny's a couple of weeks ago.  I broke the glass on the turn signal in the front of the car.  In order to fix it, the bumper needs to be taken off, so that is what DH is doing this morning before our drive to Mobile next Sunday.  This will just about be the amount of time I think to do such a large undertaking by a man who doesn't see well with only one eye of vision.  I opened the back porch door, so in case he has a crisis, I can run out there if I hear him yell.

I had 5 sales in the CA campaign yesterday.  My best day ever I think working for this company.  New leads with people who really love theatre.  And we threw in free parking for half of their shows as an incentive.  Well, off to fix breakfast, I hope you all have a wonderful day!

• Like 22
  • Haha 1

Good morning from cloudy central Texas.  Who knows what the weather will do today.

This will be a quick post since I'm cleaning house today and want to get it out of the way.  At least, we will have a clean house for our 55th anniversary tomorrow.  With all that's been going on around here, and with our weather, the celebration this year will be low key.

We've had two wonderful ginger cats, Sandy and Sargent.  I think I'll pass on tofu and cherry popovers though.  

I like the quote.  We've had roasted cabbage as a side dish, but will pass on the meal and the drink. The wine should be nice.

@Cruzin Terri  🥂 🍾  HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TERRI!  🎈 🎂  I hope your are feeling better, and enjoy your birthday dinner out.

@kazu  Jacqui, I loved the cat memes.

@1ANGELCAT  I know Fluff will like having the stiches out.

We were in Boca de Valeria on our 2006 Amazon cruise on the old Regal Princess.  It is a very small, native village downstream from Manaus.  We were told before boarding the tenders that if we wanted to donate money, give it to the school or church, but not to the children.  Their parents would only take the money and spend it at the local watering hole.  Part of the pier where the tender docked was covered in carpet different cruise lines had given the village when they replaced carpet.

There was a dirt path from the dock up to part of the village.  Boy were we glad it was not raining that day.

IMG_0499.thumb.JPG.6371bd9f1ba2d58de49aa801dcf08b6d.JPG

Some of the locals in costumes and with different animals and birds.

IMG_0503.thumb.JPG.e39265d405674265196c3724b9839d7b.JPG

IMG_0505.thumb.JPG.8db401eea644df0cf7cdfc3ee2f2e67a.JPG

IMG_0534.thumb.JPG.120d8cdcb51faef3a85469dbcf047192.JPG

We gave this man a hat we'd brought with us

IMG_0517.thumb.JPG.e3ed192947dd7e45c5d9704ac5c5fd43.JPG

The local church

IMG_0535.thumb.JPG.c4cbb09560b475c53ef7258bc3fbaf7b.JPG

IMG_0538.thumb.JPG.7bfd491d9fa9956f4f1431837ace9582.JPG

The school which at that time had 37 students and 2 teachers

IMG_0536.thumb.JPG.42c51ab5909fe184269cadabc1986f83.JPG

IMG_0543.thumb.JPG.ff3ce97c58ce6d587d411c7a82b756b9.JPG

IMG_0521.thumb.JPG.f91f798478518cacb55cf985bde2cc68.JPG

IMG_0524.thumb.JPG.57e3cdfdfc8163f4c043a285df0005fd.JPG

We got to walk through one house.  There was also a living room with two couches.

IMG_0528.thumb.JPG.2baa3cb70cb2d4470ef5f00ca311a143.JPG

IMG_0529.thumb.JPG.0a184c38453f725a9524f26a69c281cb.JPG

IMG_0530.thumb.JPG.93d693c407b5083041119f44be88924c.JPG

Various scenes around the village

IMG_0511.thumb.JPG.9636c65fc94c86751051f9a609b08c35.JPG

IMG_0519.thumb.JPG.4662b98de4ffc7df885d09767121dcd0.JPG

IMG_0525.thumb.JPG.8876f6d9cafc291533476b05dd5cc64c.JPG

Once back on the ship, many from the village came out in these boats wanting us to throw money to them.

IMG_0547.thumb.JPG.0a7c779da8e25225704c7274a8ce9195.JPG

The view from the ship

IMG_0548.thumb.JPG.ca7bf57587912ac61c77aa8aedd4244c.JPG

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 7

Good Morning! We always had cats up to our last two, Mr. Bubba and Miss  Beezus. We miss them but it’s just not fair with all our travel plans to have more. I was actually allergic to cats so I really paid the price at times for their loving ways. When I had my aortic valve replaced Miss Beezus would remain on my lap all day except to eat and visit the box.

Well, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO @Cruzin Terri🎂💐 I do hope you have a wonderful day and many more.

Last night we chose to dine out and enjoyed a meal together at a favorite Mexican restaurant. New on their menu were chicken tamales which I really enjoyed. Sue had a seafood burrito that was huge and will be finished today at lunch.

Tomorrow we have our finger’s crossed that our fairly new dishwasher can be repaired and hand washing dishes day will be over.

If weather forecast are true we will be having a wet Labor Day weekend with 70% chance of rain every day.

I did get a new I Phone Pro yesterday and I’m heading out to the car in a few minutes to see if the Lexus will accept it. Not something one does every day so will get the car manual out.

Rich thanks for the report and to all who contribute. Special thanks for those stepping up from our regular food and wine editors.👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Bruce

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning everyone,

Thank you to all for the lovely Birthday wishes. They make me feel better just by seeing them and put a smile to my face.  I will say that I am starting to count backwards now for each birthday. LOL.

Thank you to Rich for the Daily and Fleet Report and to Roy for the Cares and Cheers List.

Prayers for all on both.  

I appreciate cats but do not own any.  Don’t care for Tofu and if someone gave me a cherry pop over I would enjoy it.

i like the quote.

I think I will pass on the meal and the drink.

I will see about the wine.

I have not been to the destination, but would love to get there one day.  

We don’t have much planned for today.  I am going to try to get myself in gear and go out for dinner tonight.  There is a very nice restaurant near our house and I think we will go there.  

I finally got through the rest of yesterday’s posts this morning.  I tried last night, but was so tired, that I just gave up and went to bed.  

I hope everyone has a great day.

God Bless,

Terri

Happy birthday! Hope you have a good day and a lovely dinner. May your pains stay at bay so you can enjoy yourself.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit!  Thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  While we've never had a ginger cat, friends of ours did and he was the biggest snuggle bug I've ever seen.  I'm not a fan of cherry popovers/turnovers; I'm among the few who don't care for puff pastry.  Tofu can be acceptable if disguised well in dishes.  LOL

Another warm day in the offing; yesterday we hit 36.6 C (98F), so it was HOT!  A little cooler today with a predicted high of only 30C (86F), but it will still be too warm to eat on the deck tonight.

@Cruzin TerriHappy Birthday to you with many returns of the day!

@luvteachingso sad to hear about your friend Wayne; may his final days be pain free and his transition into the next life be a gentle one.

A busy day planned as we're preparing dinner for our friends - instead of just having to clean the kitchen and deck, now I have to include the dining and living room because of the heat.  The menu tonight includes mustard/panko crusted salmon, dilled potatoes, corn on the cob, killer coleslaw, creamy cucumber salad and we'll finish it off with DH's favourite rhubarb sodas for dessert.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is hurting and cheers for the celebrations.  Extra for the strength of the people of Ukraine.  Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good as a side dish.  The weather has turned very pleasant so the ac gets a break and the windows are open to allow fresh air in.  While there was nothing on my work schedule today it’s already been a very busy morning.

image.png.a8e712380b3951620af7dc334345f410.png

• Like 12
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

I am going to try to get myself in gear and go out for dinner tonight.

That sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate your special day. 🎂Happy Birthday 🎂! Enjoy!

-Melisa

Edited by HAL Sailer
typo
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Rabbit rabbit white rabbit.  Cabbage looks good. My guest room is almost finished, just need to hang a few more pictures. I will be flying to Seattle for a cruise with my sister on Sept 11th. Then she will fly back with me for a week. I get to show her all the wonderful things that make me glad to be in Mobile. 

Here is a sunset from last nights kayaking trip. 

IMG_4592.JPG

• Like 24

2 hours ago, 0106 said:

While Debbie takes a break from painting to visit her sister and look for her forever home, I will be filling in.  I am happy to start with today’s recipe, Roasted Cabbage Steaks with Crispy Chickpeas and Herby Croutons because I am mainly eat vegetables.  One thing I struggle with is getting enough protein, so the chickpeas make this a perfect dish for me. 

Cabbage is not just for coleslaw and St. Patrick’s Day.  Cabbage is very good for you.

image.jpeg.c8212a5d1d796b0fff62912275e3fad4.jpeg

When roasted at high temperature, cabbage becomes sweet and incredibly satisfying. I really encourage you to give one of these roasted cabbage recipes a try.

Wide cabbage 'steaks' create an irresistible base for crispy chickpeas and herby croutons, finished with rich lemony garlic mayonnaise.

https://www.punchfork.com/recipe/Roasted-Cabbage-Steaks-Epicurious

Roasted Cabbage Steaks

For an excellent side dish, try roasting the cabbage steaks and serving them with a mustard vinaigrette.

https://www.fromachefskitchen.com/roasted-cabbage-steaks-mustard-vinaigrette/

Photo of Roasted Cabbage Steaks with Mustard Vinaigrette on wood cutting board.

This is an extremely easy side dish of roasted cabbage wedges with parmesan

https://www.fromachefskitchen.com/parmesan-roasted-cabbage-wedges/

Photo of Parmesan Roasted Cabbage Wedges on white serving platter on white background with serving fork.

Finishing with the simplest and easiest recipe for roasting cabbage.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/240800/roasted-cabbage/

Roasted Cabbage

Cabbage is way to healthy for me. My doctor would never tell me about it. If I ate cabbage every day I could get off ten of my meds! Wonder why doctors never tell you that peanuts and popcorn maybe bad for you! I found out the hard way ten years ago.

Edited by RedneckBob
Change word
  • Like 11
  • Haha 5

Good Morning All,

We’re in the second day of a heat wave that is supposed to start to break Wednesday. 😏 Maybe I should look on the bright side and get out the vinegar mix and go after the bind weed.

Fresobaldi Pater Sangiovese, Italy

Today’s red hales from Tuscany, made from Sangiovese grapes, with an average price of $30.99. I’m not finding it available in the US,  (but it was available in Australia for $21.13). 

Am also not finding “professional” reviews, but here are a few from Vivino’s comment section:

Tasting a italian red. Strawberry, vanilla, coffee on the nose. Medium body, medium tannines and medium acidity. Pretty well balanced. Some tastes of chery and oaky notes of coffee and chocolate. Not much more, unfortunately._ Carl

This was my go to red wine on a Holland America cruise. The wine is a smooth, cherry flavored red. A good all around, medium-bodied, value priced Italian red that is well worth a try.- Kevin

Rounded soft wine, does not work well with peppery food._ Johan

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

38 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Rabbit rabbit white rabbit.  Cabbage looks good. My guest room is almost finished, just need to hang a few more pictures. I will be flying to Seattle for a cruise with my sister on Sept 11th. Then she will fly back with me for a week. I get to show her all the wonderful things that make me glad to be in Mobile. 

Here is a sunset from last nights kayaking trip. 

IMG_4592.JPG

I'm happy to hear how glad you are to be in your new hometown, Mobile!  Enjoy your cruise with your sister and her visit afterwards.👍

• Like 14

Good morning. Cool here this morning and the wind had a bit of a bite. I have also noticed more color sprinkled into some of our trees. It will heat up later in the day, but as long as it cools off at night, I am happy.

Haven't been to Boca. The one Amazon trip I had did not stop there for some reason. Cabbage looks good. Will give it a try as a side dish. It should go with a lot of things.

Last night's meeting was not as bad as I anticipated. I am going to try to hang in until my term is up in May. Since I am not eligible to stay on the Board after May that will resolve the issue of when to leave. It is not the animals..... it is not the staff.... it is some of my fellow Board members who complain about how things are going, but are unwilling to step up and help remedy the situation. True of most BODs I guess. I would still volunteer to walk dogs.

I am sooooo envious of those cruising. Right now the pups and I have a lot to do at home and I am still trying to get east to visit my sister. Waiting to get this monitor off, talk to doctors and then head out. 

Susan

• Like 23

@lindaleryou leave Mobile on the 11th, and I arrive in Mobile on the 11th, really just missed each other!  

@0106I too had no idea how healthy cabbage was for you.  I'm going to have to step up my cooking game.

@StLouisCruisersthe dog's mom has never acknowledged my departure.  I texted her today and told her that while I said the first I am more than willing to finish out the week.  To text me back if that was not her plan.  Have not heard from her.  So guess I'm still walking today.  And tomorrow will be my last day.  yippee!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily. Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.

I'll try to appreciate ginger cats. Haven't had a cherry popover. No to tofu from me. Interesting quote.

Interesting meal. I'll take the drink and pass on the wine.

I haven't been to Boca da Valeria.

It's a lovely day here. It was 59 early this AM, and now in the low 70's, with low humidity. The water damage guy was just here. All was dry, as I knew, due to the daytime 90F temps on the 3rd floor (the AC doesn't come on until about 6PM on the 2nd and 3rd floors, as I'm not up there all day). Now to wait for the final decision on what the insurance will cover. I plan to go pick up my new eyeglasses this afternoon, and stop again at the mattress place to try to decide between 2 mattresses for my new bed.

@Cruzin Terri Happy Birthday! I hope you're feeling better today and enjoy your dinner out with DH.

@Horizon chaser 1957 Safe trip to visit DS and enjoy the visit.

@luvteaching Prayers for your friend Wayne and his wife Karen. 

@kazu Enjoy your lunch out with your BFF.

@0106 Great job on the recipes!

@marshhawk Congrats on all your sales yesterday! Good luck to DH with the car.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for the great photos.

@lindaler Lovely sunset photo.

Prayers for the Care List. Yay for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Happy Birthday @Cruzin Terri!

A rainy morning in Anchorage. We have connected with our HAL tour and will leave in about an hour to head to Denali. So far all luggage handling has been smooth and really takes the burden off the traveler. 

Yesterday’s Glacier Cruise was great. Though College Fjord was so fogged in the Captain decided it would be dangerous to travel it and we would not be able to see the glaciers. So we did not see 26 Glaciers. But we did have an amazing lunch with really outstanding salmon chowder. And in spite of the pouring rain and the strong winds, we got really close to one glacier.  At times the wind was so strong that it rained sideways. 

Park Ranger, Kathleen, joined our cruise and made the trip very special for kids of all ages. I joked to her that I would love to be a Junior Ranger, but I did not meet the age requirements. The next thing I knew, she brought the JR book and a pencil over to me. 😎

We saw some black bears and sea lions during the trip, but on the train back to Anchorage last night we saw hundreds of Beluga whales feasting on salmon? around Beluga Point in Turnagain Arm. Sadly the rain streaked windows made pictures or videos impossible. 

Ranger Kathleen, her passion and love for her work showed every time she opened her mouth. 

1DA882C3-9415-436A-89AA-55F0323D3933.jpeg.dabad5dad76ee2fcd1abf736f3de0b56.jpeg

A couple of sea lions lounging around on a buoy. 

9BA28FC8-F8F9-43CF-90BB-6B498391E673.jpeg.2b3027cb1e6c72e6f1807f8af5309939.jpeg

And we got really close to Harriman glacier and spent quite a few minutes there. It is a mile long and has some very interesting ice formations. 

839D71F3-5D13-44FC-9CDC-BA13CAE31B2E.jpeg.1b924dba5d5f47872b0de530960d1f60.jpeg

Stay well everyone!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

I am getting so tired of hearing this pilot who does loop de loops near our home!  He's been here a lot lately and is out there right now dive bombing downward, then sharply turning upward again, and over and over and over again.  The noise is awful!  I wish there was something we could do but I guess airspace is not mine to complain about.

19 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@StLouisCruisersthe dog's mom has never acknowledged my departure.  I texted her today and told her that while I said the first I am more than willing to finish out the week.  To text me back if that was not her plan.  Have not heard from her.  So guess I'm still walking today.  And tomorrow will be my last day.  yippee!

Annie, I hope your neighbor has been paying you and not forgetting anymore.  She doesn't sound very reliable or responsible to me.

7 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

@luvteaching Add my wish to those of the other Daily-ites that your friend, Wayne, has a peaceful transition and that his wife, Karen, be surrounded by love, care, and prayer.

-Melisa

I echo everyone's comments about your friend, Wayne.   Hoping for a comfortable end of life for him, and extend my prayers for both him and his wife.

Ann @cat shepardthanks for keeping us in the loop on the amazing time you're having this week.  Love seeing the glaciers and wildlife.

• Like 14

Good morning all!

We're getting a slow cooling trend, and fall is in the air.  

I've had 2 ginger cats in my life -- "George", my first cat as a child, and "Parkour", our grand-kitty who passed a couple months ago.  I would love to have a cherry popover, but will pass on the Tofu.  Also will pass on the meal and red wine.  The drink does sound good though.

I was happy to see that my neighbor has returned from her trip to AZ with their oldest daughter who will start school there.  Whenever she's away, no matter who is left home to care for their pets, the indoor/outdoor kitty Jinx (who all the neighbors have adored for years) is pretty much ignored and left on his own. He has a feeder on their back deck, but unless they let him inside it means he has to jump over the fence.  Also I suspect that the dogs get to that food first. 😞   Some of us realized a few days ago that her teenage daughters weren't bringing him in at night, and he was extremely hungry. 😞  Very upsetting -- in fact last weekend when we realized what was happening, we thought he looked close to death.  Other than this quirk, this family is wonderful and great neighbors.  I think they're more "dog people" and just don't realize that an older cat can't be left outside on his own indefinitely. I know they mean well, but this just is not good. 

So I did something I always told her I wouldn't, I started feeding him (all the neighbors had been leaving water out for him already).  It took a few days, because he was so weak, but now he's looking so much better.  The first couple days he was too weak to eat more than a few bites.  Am I upset?  You bet!  😡😞 

I hope to see her soon...at first I thought I would tell her what's been going on, but my neighbor convinced me that this is different from when she had pet sitters and we let her know what was happening -- this is her daughters and we've always had a good relationship with them.  It's a real dilemma, a fine line between letting her know and keeping a good relationship with the family.  

So glad it's September, now I can say my cruise is "next month"!!!

We also got the email about our Quebec City embarkation port change.  Now our hotel isn't quite as close, it will be .3 miles instead of .1.  I guess we'll play it by ear whether to walk or get a taxi.

@Cruzin TerriI hope you have a very Happy Birthday and enjoy your birthday dinner!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Ten days and we will be off to Alaska!  Hope it's not too rainy.  We've never done it in September.  

Good morning, all.  I think I slept about an hour last night - I guess too much caffeine yesterday.  Talking about rabbits, we have been besieged by them, and the deer, of course.  DD says she is going to just give up on the dahlias and just plant artichokes.  She has about 30 seedlings, and is trying to give some away.  She did plant some of them around the edges of her dahlia bed, in the hope that they would deter the deer, but either the deer or the rabbits have now eaten the artichoke plants!.  I am preparing a bed in the courtyard that may possibly hold three dahlias and I will transplant my favourites  there when we get back, and just hope for the best.  The rabbits are eating my asters, every day I find half a dozen stems cut down and leafless, lying on the ground.  We are the rabbit buffet.

We were in Boca da Valeria in 2019 on the Prinsendam.  I was looking to see if I could see Roy in the crowds on the shore.  The river was very high, they had had a lot of rain, but we did have a nice (hot) day there.  We took school supplies and the ship delivered them to the school.  I had ribbons and hair bands for the girls and stickers for the boys, and I was besieged by the children.  We were also told we could give them (new!) dollar bills if we had our pictures taken with them.  We took a boat ride on the river with another couple.  

I pulled out some pictures, but will post them later, have to get ready to go to coffee with a neighbour.  Pat needs to bank, get some US dollars for the cruise, and I have to organize my Prolia shot at the drug store.  TTYL!  Oh, Happy Birthday @Cruzin Terri!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1