Wrong stateroom!!!

Owenred

So we are cruising on Wonder in 2 days time. We originally had a Central Park view interior, got a RoyalUp invitation so bid on a Ultra Spacious Ocean View, received an email today saying we had won the bid and got the room. When I’ve logged in we have been given a Balcony room, called royal who confirmed this and said they cannot assist as it was done by RoyalUp.

Has anyone had an experience like this before? 
We purposely didn’t book a balcony due to travelling with a toddler and not wanting the risk. 
Is it likely when we get to the dock they will have the correct room? 
I have emailed RoyalUp but being a Friday two days before our cruise I doubt I will get a reply.

19 minutes ago, Owenred said:

So we are cruising on Wonder in 2 days time. We originally had a Central Park view interior, got a RoyalUp invitation so bid on a Ultra Spacious Ocean View, received an email today saying we had won the bid and got the room. When I’ve logged in we have been given a Balcony room, called royal who confirmed this and said they cannot assist as it was done by RoyalUp.

We purposely didn’t book a balcony due to travelling with a toddler and not wanting the risk. 
I have emailed RoyalUp but being a Friday two days before our cruise I doubt I will get a reply.

Consider yourself lucky. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ABC Cruisers said:

Those balcony doors are heavier than a regular patio home door and you have to turn the entire handle to even get it unlock to slide open, there's no way a toddler is able to open the door on their own. 

Does not matter, OP bid on a spacious ocean view upgrade and Royal Caribbean screwed up in his Royal Up which should be part of Royal Caribbean. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Owenred said:

There is a child proof lock way up high on the side of the door going out to the balcony that is really hard to unlock.  On some ships, I can't even unlock it.  Keep that locked and you will be fine.  Railing on balcony is going to be taller than your child, just have a rule that the child does not go out there without a parent.  You might actually be happy to have a balcony as you will be able to sit out there and relax while your child naps. 🙂 

• Like 10

We’ve had balcony’s before. The point I’m making is if I wanted a balcony I would of bid on one, and when I booked it was the same price as the room I booked. I’m not asking if I’m lucky to have a balcony, I’m asking if anyone has experienced this before, I’m annoyed that I haven’t received the room I bid for so won’t consider myself lucky. 
Has anyone with any experience  got anything to say ? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

27 minutes ago, ABC Cruisers said:

Those balcony doors are heavier than a regular patio home door and you have to turn the entire handle to even get it unlock to slide open, there's no way a toddler is able to open the door on their own. 

Agreed.  I had problems opening/closing doors due to them being so heavy.  Toddler won't be able to get out onto balcony with doors closed and will be fine on balcony.

Understand your problem but when you bid or book a gty you usually get what you get.  We've had granddaughter, and her parents,  with us in balcony cabins. 1. We used the kid lock and 2.under no circumstances,  even for a moment,  could she be allowed on the balcony by herself. 

If you are a c&a member then call them and see if they can help. 

1 minute ago, njkruzer said:

Understand your problem but when you bid or book a gty you usually get what you get.  We've had granddaughter, and her parents,  with us in balcony cabins. 1. We used the kid lock and 2.under no circumstances,  even for a moment,  could she be allowed on the balcony by herself. 

If you are a c&a member then call them and see if they can help. 

Gty and bidding are not the same.   While I have often been told that with gty I must accept any cabin in the selected category or higher, I do not recall anywhere on the RoyalUp bid site that says they can assign a bidder to a higher category.  Is that info in the fine print somewhere? If not, this bidder should only get (or not get) the ultra spacious OV cabin specifically wanted & bid.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Gty and bidding are not the same.   While I have often been told that with gty I must accept any cabin in the selected category or higher, I do not recall anywhere on the RoyalUp bid site that says they can assign a bidder to a higher category.  Is that info in the fine print somewhere? If not, this bidder should only get (or not get) the ultra spacious OV cabin specifically wanted & bid.

We booked a gty jr ste on the Jewel for last January, a cruise they ended up canceling.  They assigned us a panoramic suite, 2 bdrms, 2 baths, slept 8 but no balcony!  It was considered a better cabin with extra benefits.  But I wanted a balcony.  I blew a gasket and got a regular js.  So it is possible to make a change. 

4 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

That’s a big problem with Royal Ups. There’s no way to reach them if they screw up and no one from Royal can help you since it’s a separate company. 
Unfortunately,, I think you’re stuck through no fault of your own. 

Ow no, hopefully they reply, if not I’ll ask at guest services and then if no luck I’ll send an email on my return. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Owenred said:

I have just read the terms and conditions and it doesn’t say anywhere about assigning another category. It states if the bid is accepted you will get the cabin you have bided for. 

I understand your concerns. Do you have a screenshot of your Royal Up bid or the email you got confirming the bid? If so, that may help so you can show the type of cabin you bid on. Good luck

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

I’d be upset about this as well. The cabin you bid on is 271sq ft and they gave you one that’s 182 sq ft. That’s a lot of extra space you won’t get.

I would reach out to Royalup and document your attempts. I hope they respond but if they don’t save copies of the confirmation email on the bid you made and a copy of the email for the wrong cabin you won. If they can’t help you on board (which I’m doubtful they’ll be able to) I’d dispute the charge on your credit card when you get home.

Whatever happens don’t let it ruin your cruise but definitely don’t accept the charge!

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Unless you specifically had "no upgrades allowed" on your initial reservation, they are within their rights to give you any room they want to.

And I know you have your panties in a bunch, but this is a silly hill upon which to choose to die.  The toddler can't open the door.  Keep it locked, never open it, and it will be like you never had a balcony in the first place.  Problem solved.

They did not get an upgrade. They BID thru RU on a Spacious OV room NOT a balcony and won a balcony which is NOT what they bid on

• Like 2