The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 30th, 2022

richwmn

Today is National Mud Pack Day, Hug a Vegetarian Day, and International Translation Day

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.--J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Meal Suggestion for today - Ikan bakar
Drink of the Day - Cruzan Confusion
Wine of the Day - Moët & Chandon 2013 Grand Vintage (Champagne)
Destination of the Day - Nafplion, Greece

Eurodam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada 20:00 - 23:59

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 10/01

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 10:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Statendam

Saint John NB, New Brunswick Canada 11:00 - 19:00

Noordam

Prince Rupert, Kaien Island, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Bari, Italy

Rotterdam

Bergen, Norway 08:00 - 17:00

Volendam

At Sea Destination Haifa, Tel Aviv-Nazareth, Israel eta 10/01

Westerdam

Kodiak Island, Alaska 08:00 - 17:00

Zaandam

Quebec City, Canada 07:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination San Francisco, California eta 10/01

0930World.thumb.png.47da5648720150bddedd6b6e0287db4f.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 11

It is currently breezy 50°F and raining here in North East England at 11.45am.

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich.

Interesting days and quote.

Lovely wine of the day.

Prayers for Florida and the safety of everyone affected by Hurricane Ian.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220930_114005.jpg

Screenshot_20220930_114024.jpg

Screenshot_20220930_114047.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

A cool 2C (36F) this morning.  It should get to a sunny 17C (63F) this afternoon.  Bertie and I will bundle up and go for a walk when the sun comes up.

In addition to the days you listed, it's Truth and Reconciliation Day in Canada.  A day to recognize the impact of the residential school system. 

I like the quote, I enjoyed the book.

Not sure about the meal or the drink, but I know I'll like the wine!🥂

I haven't been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 26

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I’m curious about today’s meal suggestion and will wait on @dfish recipes and pictures to decide. I finally got all my accounts ready for the 10/1 deadline for regulations.  Now I have to keep badgering them to get ready for the 10/6 deadline.  It will be a busy work day.  I hope that everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.42905b91452947bfa255132012adadd4.png

• Like 27

Thank you for the TGIF report, Rich.  I'll pass on both the Mud Pack and Vegetarian days, salute translators, but my favorite is Canada's Truth and  Reconciliation Day.  I love the Tolkien quote but have not been to Nafplion.  No idea what the meal is.  My alternative is Honey Pineapple, Rack of Lamb with cannellini beans and garlic pearls, and Black Forest Cake, my likely choices September 28, 2017 on MS Oosterdam if I had not been in Canaletto.

Today’s care list:

Threat and horrific damage from Ian
Still some dailyites
Western wildfires
Tthose in Fiona’s wake
Tana’s aide with Covid
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
From the rotation:
Strength for luvteaching’s friend Karen after Wayne’s 9/3 death
Sandi’s neighbor Linda
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

last DAY of work for kplady
HALSailer family place in South Florida coming through Ian
2 days fir MissG (Avalon Imagery II 10/2 to 10/6 then Oosterdam 10/10 to 10/22)
2 days for Dismomx5 (Rotterdam 10/2 to 10/27)
1 day for HorizoCn Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12)
Rowsby in Hawaii until 10/28
Cunnorl’s luggage in transit to Noordam
fatcat04 (Nieuw Statendam to 10/2), LoveTheBeach (Adventure OTS  to 10/8), sailingdutchy (Oosterdam  to 10/10), and  Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 13

@puppycanducruise thank you for mentioning that.  At least 1 bank in our tiny town is closed today.  I'm sure other places are closed as well.  I think there is a Pow Wow either today or tomorrow.  Our library and museum both have things to get involved in.  Unfortunately I don't have an orange t shirt to wear. 

• Like 26

Happy Friday Morning Dailyites!  It's actually cloudy this morning, not much chance of rain, but I can wish.  I know, the world recently has been saturated with rain, but Stone Mountain is in a drought.  My prayers are for our friends in Florida and the Carolinas.  Stay safe.

I am off the my oncologist today.  In less than 5 days she will tell me I am doing terribly with my diabetes, because I dont move enough and I dont eat well.  (I eat too well).  I just dont want to have to take more drugs.  I wish I had a better self discipline life style.  But this time, I will probably have to add that extra drug.  Anything to stay away from needles.  

I hope you are all well.  I am working more hours again, and can catch up and read at the end of the day, but by then I have pages to read so I dont hit like, thanks or 😄 often.  Just trying to keep up.  Have a great day!  And yes, it's a Formula 1 weekend!

80df6357581ab0b4a6d45ddd71dc3c12.jpg

• Like 29

Thanks for our TGIF Daily, Rich.

Great collection of days but, like many Canadians I’ll be joining in celebrating Truth & Reconciliation day.  Thanks @puppycanducruisefor mentioning it 👍 

I like the Tolkien quote.  So true - no one knows how much time they have (trust me, I know) so best to make the most of what we have.  Ooh - I know that wine (err champagne).  Quite delicious.  Nafplion, Greece is lovely spot. My pics are too old to share though. 😔 

Thanks everyone for the help on Florida hotels (here & by pm) 👍 It was very appreciated. I’ve solved one conundrum.  Prices in January are nuts - so by the time I did the math, decided that the over priced air far wasn’t that bad - pretty much a wash - so I’ll fly out on disembarkation day.

632FBD97-B793-455B-A51F-66228148633A.thumb.jpeg.a9145dfbdb6f4ba85954cb4ff092d94d.jpeg

That just leaves pre-cruise - Was all set to do the Hyatt until I realized it was 48 hour cancellation.  Grrr - snow storms are not always that predictable.  I’ll check on my insurance & may just break my usual mode and stay at Riverside Hotel in las Olas.  A lot of hotels now seem to be requiring the 48 hour cancellation.  Normally no problem - but in winter - it is.

5863DDE6-7CF2-4B4D-A49D-E66F41DDB4A3.thumb.jpeg.d8f4621b67cea279d21cf53ece0bfc1d.jpeg

I think I have gotten out of shape coddling my knee - I was sorely tired yesterday after my work outside -emphasis on sore.  On the bright side, the knee can now walk up and down stairs.  It doesn’t like it, but it can do it.

Watching the horrible scenes from Ian’s work.  Devastating.  So much destruction.  I fear that there will be too many lives lost as well.

It’s a b-r-r-ry morning out there.  Hoping it warms up enough to do a smidge of work 🤞 Otherwise, I may be forced to clean in the house 😂 

A363538B-0793-4D9D-B9E8-1500A6EBD360.jpeg.55d188b159e08e6d68d46599e0c4da51.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list, those in Ian’s path & those that may need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Friday everyone !!!!!

50118A51-E824-4E58-A8FD-EB6650BDCA63.jpeg.96f0977d906f8e655ea8115bc9bfbc04.jpeg

Stay very safe, please 🙏🏻 

• Like 31
  • Haha 8

Good morning everyone. My friend from Boynton Beach, Boca, Naples and Delray Beach have all checked in as safe. Still some I haven’t heard from . Watching Ian’s destruction across Florida is painful. 
Today is my grandson Jared’s 17th birthday. So hard to believe he is a junior in high school and starting to think about college.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thankyou all for being here! Have a great weekend!

Still fighting with the insurance company on our roof from the April storm. The rain showers should start late afternoon from the remnant of Ian. Rain is forecast over the next three days of 3+ inches. 

We are amazed at the Covid numbers currently on the Rotterdam. Today they are back to serving everyone in the Lido. No self-serve, even coffee. I guess we will be wearing masks on our travels more than we had anticipated.

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 27

Good morning friends!  It's about 60F and a bit cloudy this morning but we will see some sun today and a temp of 76.  We were supposed to be in the path of Ian but when he took that turn he's missing us completely.  Now I have to worry about our good friends in Myrtle Beach.  We met them on a cruise in 2008.  Their home is about 1400 feet from the ocean in  small neighborhood of single family homes.  Prayers for them as well as all others on the Care list today especially those who are suffering from hurricane damage.  So thanks Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  And thanks Roy @rafinmdfor the updated C & C list.  I salute translators and truth and reconciliation day.  I don't know any vegetarians personally, and can take or leave mud packs.  No idea if I'd like ikan bakar but I will take some champagne!  A good quote for today.  Prayers for all especially Myrtle Beach friends, neighbor Linda, our entire Care list, and anyone else in need.  Good luck to Steve @Quartzsite Cruiser's DH.  Hope Tana and her aide are doing well.  Get better wishes for Sam @mamaofami's DH and their DD.

Nafplion, Greece was port of the day last Oct. 10, 2021.  I don't remember ever being there so thanks in advance for photos.  Here is a link to Rich's post that day.

Well, since I have no port photos today I will share a photo I got last night from DD.  Sadie has finished her 7 week long Puppy Kindergarten class.  One of Sadie's littermates, sister Skye was also in the class, so the Moms have become friends as a result.  Ironically Skye's Mom's name is the same name as Sadie's Mom.  Here are the pups and their graduation certificates.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLtfdYDPMYMYtmei0KtM0--5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1664489925

Sadie is on the left, Skye on the right.  I notice that Skye has a white patch over her nose and under her mouth.  I also see a little difference is their groomers' methods in cutting their hair.  DD reports that Sadie is social and loves people and other dogs.  Skye is more timid but got much better after taking the course.  On their last night Sadie got 2nd place for walking and sitting the fastest. LOL!  No surprise there! Skye won first place for sitting (stay) the longest.  As long as Sadie agrees to take a walk on a leash I would say the course is a success!

Have a great day!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning from a very cool and windy day at the beach

I think that finally the storm has left us. We all did fine. No damage for us and we never lost power.   I count my blessings and hope and pray for our friends that are all over Florida.   In my 35 years of dealing with hurricanes, this one was different. We have had some substantial damage in the past, and we even had to evacuate a few times. This time we came thru ok but it was worse. Hard to explain.

I am heading down to the beach to see how much erosion has taken place. Ocean still looks angry but less than the last few days. I however dont plan on leaving the crossover.!

Please stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning to all from a very rainy Bluffton, South Carolina.

Thank you to @richwmn Rich,for the Daily and Fleet Report.

I like the collection of Days.

I have been known to have a mud pack when having a facial,

I do eat vegetables, but am not a vegetarian.

In my job I was an authorized translator for Spanish documents.

I like the quote.

I have been to Napflion.  I very pretty town in the Greek Pelopenese Peninsula. 

I have no idea what the meal is, and will probably pass on it, nor do I think we will imbibe on the drink.

Champagne is always nice.

Thanks for @rafinmd Roy, for the Cares and Celebration Lists.  Prayers for those who need them.  And Cheers to those who are enjoying cruises and celebrating special occasions.

Thank you also to @grapau27Graham for the explanations of the days.  It certainly helps to make them more relevant. Hope you are doing well.

As for our situation here:

It is raining.  It is a steady rain but very little wind.  Maybe that will change.  Right now, I would say it is a non-weather event.  I have seen worse here,.

What they are now showing on the Weather Channel at Myrtle Beach is far windier than we are experiencing here.

I don’t know if it going to get worse, but we are at the very south end of South Carolina and IAN is moving north.  I suspect that within a few hours it will be over for us.  However, that is my take on it. That being said, the weather channel is still showing our area under a hurricane warning.

So I continue to ask you to keep us in your prayers that we are able to stay safe and do not have another water event in this house.

I hope everyone has a good day and stays safe, well and dry.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Good morning all. My friend from Venice Florida checked in. She and her daughter’s family (Sarasota) rode out the storm in Deerfield beach and are headed back home this morning. Roofs on both houses are intact but the Sarasota house lost its pool screen room and there is a tree in the pool. My friend says the trailer parks in Venice are totally destroyed. 

we harvested our sweet potatoes yesterday. Only planted them as a lark and the vines just went everywhere but we got a nice haul. Tomatoes are still going strong but not ripening as fast anymore. It doesn’t look like we are going to have frost in the next 10 days so I may get some more tomato sauce to freeze.

Prayers to those that need them and will celebrate later with those celebrating especially now that I have heard from my Venice friend.

AE344468-58CE-4E37-924F-343C8D80C931.jpeg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone.

My niece's home was spared from damage in Sarasota.  Power is out and will probably remain out until Monday so she and Joe will stay in Tennessee with Joe's aunt and uncle until then.  I do worry about the Dailyites we haven't heard from yet.  I hope they can check in sometime today.

Today will be spent packing boxes and suitcases.  The suitcase is for my cruise.  I leave a week from today for a wonderful stay at the Chateau Frontenac.  Then two glorious weeks on the ms. Nieuw Statendam.  

Today's meal is one I would like.  Ikan Bakar is grilled fish.  I love grilled almost anything.  Ikan bakar is an Indonesian and Malaysian dish, prepared with charcoal-grilled fish or other forms of seafood. Ikan bakar literally means "grilled fish" in Indonesian and Malay. Ikan bakar differs from other grilled fish dishes in that it often contains flavorings like bumbu, kecap manis, sambal, and is covered in a banana leaf and cooked on a charcoal fire.

725390481_Ikanbakar1.JPG.eeb43edb2f8d79d5528953479caf3830.JPG

Our first recipe is from Bali and is slightly different from what  you'll find in other regions of Indonesia.  https://www.bearnakedfood.com/2015/09/04/balinese-ikan-bakar/

1074373360_Ikanbakar2.thumb.jpg.4c75f4439ee6a3bb02f5772646664076.jpg

This next one is from Kuala Lumpur and is a street food there.  It uses banana leaves to wrap the fish before grilling so it doesn't stick to the grill.  The recipe also calls for belacan which is shrimp paste.  It can probably be found in an Asian market or on Amazon. 

https://www.thespruceeats.com/ikan-bakar-charcoal-grilled-fish-recipe-3030209

1177533856_Ikanbakar3.thumb.jpg.3aa13ee46222d19185ad0f4c50527e9b.jpg

This next one has a slightly different spice mixture.  https://rasamalaysia.com/spicy-grilled-fish/

633692697_Ikanbakar4.jpg.07909f32eee88104b1917c26cedc9ba2.jpg

This last recipe calls for the fish to be wok fried, but you can easily do it on the grill.   https://asianfoodnetwork.com/en/recipes/cuisine/malaysian/nonya-style-ikan-bakar.html

1785294666_Ikanbakar5.jpg.bf3dcef20da98e9e00ccd6df754a58aa.jpg

Oh, that looks good!

Enjoy, everyone!   I'm off to do my laps and then pack boxes.  I also have to call and inquire about the pods.  Prayers for all in Ian's path and hopes that we hear from our missing Dailyites today.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 8

Good morning!  Another cool morning with a current 57 degrees temperature and forecasted high of 83. With 63% humidity it makes for perfect days. We are so dry and have no rain in sight. 
Cleaned up the yard and got some free pine straw for the beds but annual needle drop is not over.

DW is out for her walk and I’ll wait for it to warm up some and enjoy another cup of coffee and finish reading the Daily.

Just so sad to see such devastation and today it will continue it’s devastating path.

We had a lady from Germany at our small group last night and it was eye opening to hear what they are facing this winter with Russia’s restriction of natural gas. That probably is true with much of Europe that is feeling the effects of the war in Ukraine. 
Haven’t got anything on the agenda today as yard and house are clean so maybe will put the top down and take a spin in the Spyder!

Our continued thoughts, prayers and concerns from hurricane victims here and the Maritimes.

Thanks for the reports!

Bruce

• Like 26

Bolt Creek Fire Update: Although the Inciweb report says the fire is 13% contained, the briefing from the Incident Command says it is 28% contained. That is due to the fire burning up to the highway and being held back. Next rain is predicted to be 0.25 inches on October 10th (one of our sea days to Hawaii). That is a long time to wait for rain in the Pacific Northwest.

The highway was reopened last night and everyone in the fire area has been put down to the lowest level of evacuation notice (level one; ready).

Love the Tolkien quote. 

When my DW and I worshipped with a Friends Society meeting in Tacoma for a few years, we got to know quite a few Quakers that were also members of the International Fellowship of Reconciliation. They do some pretty good work around the globe. Acknowledging the sins of the past is a good beginning to avoiding a repeat of those sins in the future. Too often we choose to ignore the unpleasantness of past actions when we or our nation were involved. We can also be tempted to use the atrocities committed as a bludgeon toward others if we perceive them to be in the offending people group. Reconciliation will not happen without acknowledgement and forgiveness. 

• Like 29

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Roy thank you for keeping our lists. I am so happy your niece is safe. 

Bindi celebrated being able to walk without getting wet by opting for a super long walk this morning. We had to walk in the road much of the time. The sidewalks were debris fields of small branches and leaves. 

There was one huge tree down blocking a main road, but if it had to happen, it happened on a U-shaped street with two exits.  Bindi and I limboed under it. 

AFB4EF02-4159-44B4-AF20-5AA32ACE6830.jpeg.ea64c4e65f66ce94b8f678a0371797cc.jpeg

Our power came on some time in the middle of the night. It was only 64 here this morning when Bindi and I headed out before 7.  

Another view of the local Beach pier that was destroyed. With waves like the one in this picture, it did not stand a chance. 

D1AC5005-0E1D-4C05-9A68-C3F852453F00.jpeg.33de507bad859280e91ce2f9c2496e15.jpeg

I have small branches and Spanish moss to clean up. My bougainvillea trellis is detached from the house. All minor stuff.  

Praying that anyone in Ian’s path will be safe. 

😎

F1E076BD-1D29-4473-95A8-31282F6A836F.jpeg.3328890f42b191aa7d2bc2cd0b0e31eb.jpeg

Praying for all who need our support. @MISTER 67 and @jimgev hope all is well with you. Check in when you are able. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Moët & Chandon 2013 Grand Vintage (Champagne)

Who could resist champagne at its “champaniest”?  I have enjoyed this champagne at several celebrations. Excellent ratings and available from numerous online distributors with prices starting at $51.75. You might be able to find it cheaper locally. 

Winemaker Notes

Blend: 41% Chardonnay, 38% Pinot Noir, 21% Meunier

SJ94 The Somm Journal

Speaking of textbooks, here’s Champagne at its Champagniest. Combining 41% Chardonnay with 38% Pinot Noir and 21% Pinot Meunier, it offers up aromas of toast and apple with a hint of honeyed nuts; green apple tumbles onto the palate with a dash of salt, a stripe of chalk, and a squeeze of lemon that lingers for some time. Zippy yet seamless.

WS93 Wine Spectator
This elegant Champagne displays citrus, mineral and toast character in equal measure, with bright notes of preserved lemon and verbena layered with smoke, chalk, brioche and nut flavors. The interplay is backed by deftly knit acidity, riding the fine and creamy mousse through to the lingering finish. Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the TGIF report, Rich.  I'll pass on both the Mud Pack and Vegetarian days, salute translators, but my favorite is Canada's Truth and  Reconciliation Day.  I love the Tolkien quote but have not been to Nafplion.  No idea what the meal is.  My alternative is Honey Pineapple, Rack of Lamb with cannellini beans and garlic pearls, and Black Forest Cake, my likely choices September 28, 2017 on MS Oosterdam if I had not been in Canaletto.

Today’s care list:

Threat and horrific damage from Ian
Still some dailyites
Western wildfires
Tthose in Fiona’s wake
Tana’s aide with Covid
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
From the rotation:
Strength for luvteaching’s friend Karen after Wayne’s 9/3 death
Sandi’s neighbor Linda
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

last DAY of work for kplady
HALSailer family place in South Florida coming through Ian
2 days fir MissG (Avalon Imagery II 10/2 to 10/6 then Oosterdam 10/10 to 10/22)
2 days for Dismomx5 (Rotterdam 10/2 to 10/27)
1 day for HorizoCn Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12)
Rowsby in Hawaii until 10/28
Cunnorl’s luggage in transit to Noordam
fatcat04 (Nieuw Statendam to 10/2), LoveTheBeach (Adventure OTS  to 10/8), sailingdutchy (Oosterdam  to 10/10), and  Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for producing today's lists Roy.

Nice to see so many Dailyites getting ready for cruises.

• Like 17

Good morning, all! Like many here, today is about Truth and Reconciliation. It is our second day in Montreal. Yesterday we toured DH’s old neighbourhood. The houses his family grew up in are still there. The shops and restaurants he remembered are all long since gone, and other businesses occupy the premises. We had a lovely walk in the park along the St. Lawrence, and the leaves are beginning to turn. You can really see which trees get the cold winds and which are sheltered by them difference in colour!

The maples are turning.

EA654942-67B1-45B1-99B8-8C970843D91F.thumb.jpeg.02f59b01f252b6c0d4a40c0224a9e8d3.jpeg

The exposed trees have entered autumn.

8D1BBF7A-28B2-4A5A-A5F0-5977DCCA3939.thumb.jpeg.d5601caf19acd9ec0d42acef64d15e30.jpeg

The sheltered ones are still in summer. The maples here have the leaf shape I remember from childhood in Toronto. The West Coast maples are quite different!

697107E1-3391-4BD4-930D-E7A5B3D0B137.thumb.jpeg.e27cf53c28d6a5115832f261e486320e.jpeg

A three apartment house FIL owned. Family lived in the first two apartments, the upper apartment was rented out.

8238F348-A386-4011-BFBF-5CF284EA0159.thumb.jpeg.400430f66a63668b7728f477f0f59885.jpeg

Prayers for all in the path or wake of Ian. The pictures are very sobering.

Happy Friday, everyone! Tomorrow I board a BHB!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1