The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday October 18th, 2022

richwmn

Today is National Meatloaf Appreciation Day, No Beard Day, and Information Overload Awareness Day

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.--Kurt Vonnegut

Meal Suggestion for today - Arugula Pizza
Drink of the Day - Key Lime Pie Martini
Wine of the Day - Torre dei Beati Mazzamurello Montepulciano d'Abruzzo 2017
Destination of the Day - Kirkwall, Scotland, United Kingdom

Eurodam

Manzanillo, MX

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC, Canada eta 10/18

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Panama Canal eta 10/19

Nieuw Statendam

Boston, Massachusetts 08:00 - 16:00

Noordam

At Sea Destinatio Bora Bora, French Polynesia eta 10/23

Oosterdam

Kefalonia Island, Argostoli-Fiskardo, Greece 10:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

Plymouth UK, England 08:00 - 17:00

Volendam

At Sea Destination Corfu Island, Kerkyra, Greece eta 10/19

Zaandam

Funchal, Madeira Island, Portugal 08:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Apia, Western Samoa eta 10/20

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Suva, Fuji eta 10/19

1018World.thumb.png.3664039bc1c7de3a28e7e2cf50ceee1c.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 9

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily.

Another rainy day in store for us.  I wish we could send this rain out west.

An interesting collection of days.  I like meatloaf, maybe that will be supper tonight.  Hubby has had a beard for years, I hope he doesn't shave it off.  There are many days that I have too much information and many days that I don't have enough.

Amusing quote.

The meal sounds good.  I'm sure the drink is tasty too.  I hope the wine isn't too expensive.

We're supposed to be in Kirkwall on our next cruise.  Thanks in advance for pictures and comments.

Prayers for everyone.  I hope everyone has something to celebrate.

Stay safe.

• Like 27

Good morning all.  Thanks for the daily report.  I’ll appreciate meatloaf any day!  Never had a beard.  We have our annual budget meeting today with our partners so it will definitely be an information overload day.  Funny quote today.  The meal and drink suggestions sound nice.  I haven’t been to today’s port yet.  Prayers for everyone on today’s prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events.🥂

• Like 24

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I’m a fan of meatloaf but DH isn’t.  I like to order it when it’s on a menu, Cracker Barrel’s is pretty good.  Information overload is a real thing.  One of the benefits of sailing on a BHB is you can turn off all those devices and decompress.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.fd5a93f1e6991636c4cb61c3e0569140.png

• Like 28

Good morning all - will be a bit chilly today after the cold front came through with vengeance last night.  Sure glad I wasn't one of the fans that made the trek to Yankee Stadium, planning to see Game 5 of the ALDS.  At least three hours of waiting and the inevitable happened...postponed to 4pm today.

My husband and son love my meatloaf recipe - I always wrap it in bacon for extra flavor.  My husband would love to have a beard but the hair just won't grow in the right pattern.  My son-in-law, on the other hand, grows the shadow of his beard in a day!  Arugula pizza sounds good, hoping the recipes we see show a drizzle of balsamic as that flavor seems to go wonderfully with the bitter greens.  Key Lime pie is a favorite dessert of mine so I will be anxious to see the drink recipe.

Sending best thoughts to those who are dealing with stress...and high-fives to those celebrating.  Have a great day all! 

• Like 30

Thank you for the Tuesday report, Rich.  I'm not really a fan of meatloaf, and sometimes feel like I am getting information overload.  I don't really have a beard although sometimes I get stubble since the hormone shots for my cancer really slow down hair growth and I'll often forget to shave.  I love the Vonnegut quote.  I have not been to Kirkwall.  The meal sounds interesting.  My alternative is Fruit Palette, Veal Cutlet, and Pineapple Crisp as served on MS Amsterdam October 18, 2017.

dishes18.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP kochleffel’s friend Fran 10/16/22
Cruisin single’s step son with double cancer
Safe travels for Cruisin Terri
Final days for kochkeffek’s friend Fran
Vict0rian’s cousin in final stages of ALS
Marshhawk’s friend Sheri
Quartzite Cruiser DH numbness in legs
4 years since Pauline mam’s death
Long term power outage for jimgev
From the rotation:
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
Quartzite Cruiser followup surgery 10/24

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard ciabelle
Birthday today for Seasick Sailor and SusieKIslandGirl
Birthday week with sister for Seasick Sailor
Birthday week for SusieKIslandGirl
Aliaschief off for a cruise
5 Days for Cruisin Single (American Star 10/23 to 10/30)
 Cruising-Along(11/5), dfish, NextOne, Richwmn, Live4cruises,  SharoninAz (Nieuw Statendam  to 10/22),  MissG (Oosterdam  to 10/22),  HAL4NOW (Koningsdam  to 10/24), and AncientWanderer (Nieuw Amsterdam to 10/25), Dismomx5 (Rotterdam to 10/27) ,  and Av8rix (Rotterdam  to 10/30)
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 14

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich.

Interesting collection of days.  Certainly feeling overloaded these days and there is definitely TMI out there.

5759BD11-2A43-4D65-9A37-183C1BB69D38.jpeg.14a2128eb32c8f9530e5dd2429388a74.jpeg

LOL on the quote. Not sure about today’s meal and wine - will wait for the excellent descriptions.  We were supposed to be in Kirkwall but that was of course, one of the cancelled cruises. 😔 At least it wasn’t cancelled due to covid, but to help the Ukrainian refugees.

There will be no outside work today - pouring and it’s going to continue through tomorrow.  That should bring down a lot of foliage, for sure.  Lots to do inside so no biggee - and guides to finalize numbers with.

A very happy birthday to our twins - @SusieKIslandGirl& @Seasick Sailor

F7018812-A763-4D81-95FB-72AE3F804554.jpeg.47644dcd971ce8911206ec2163f93708.jpeg

My goal today is to get as much done inside as I can depending on my focus, of course 😉. Tomorrow is busy with grief counselling, pick up covid tests & flu and booster shots.  I am technically a couple of days early for the booster but told them I was going to Spain so she booked me for tomorrow.  Hopefully I don’t get told no tomorrow 🤞 

B5CB93C3-9661-4ACC-9820-B0BE8598F15C.thumb.jpeg.f8030398597137ace530a2ab455a6e72.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list, Ukraine, those with the endless suffering from Ian and Fiona and for those that need them.  And a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Tuesday everyone !!!!!!

8D4C4CBC-CECB-4ED2-B27B-C6646E4B5292.jpeg.8350c323d5e1b1d22a542611a57288cc.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

Good morning from the Nieuw Statendam as we approach Boston. The internet is slow this morning. I can see the buildings in the distance on the bow camera. Yes, our TV is finally working!  

Yesterday was cold and cloudy and it drizzled all day. We got off the ship about  1:15 after we went through immigration. We just went out for lunch, the lobster rolls were good. The tiny place was packed and a nice couple from the AOTS ship asked us to share their table inside because it was too cold outside  672EF6F6-367F-49E2-B731-5B7005A77615.thumb.jpeg.4b3d19840dd490a67dfa489646f9b3d2.jpeg

I was surprised about the pickle. Craig also ordered mussels. 
A1D6CFCD-0346-4E65-8D9A-8D6B201BA3E2.thumb.jpeg.161a4d0e0d5bbb491caec6558f104a76.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

945AA26F-34E5-4A8F-BD9F-2C0BA8839757.jpeg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Key Lime Martini cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part DeKuyper® Vanilla Schnapps Liqueur
2 parts Pinnacle® Citrus Vodka
1 part fresh Lime Juice
2 parts Cream
Whipped Cream
Lime Wheel

Instructions
Add ingredients to an ice-filled shaker. Shake and strain into a graham cracker-rimmed glass. Garnish with whipped cream and a lime wheel

Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 7.30.12 AM.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich!  I have enjoyed traveling with you and the rest of the Dailyites.  Roy, thank you for our lists!

@Seasick Sailor & @SusieKIslandGirl

Our birthday twins! May your “new year” be filled with laughter, love & great health!

5DAEF28A-A832-4ABF-9FC4-23AD06107C97.jpeg.ab265591fc4da1a99170171f018d8292.jpeg

Just a busy day of stuff for me. You know the things you put off because they aren’t a priority. 

4BEE2DF9-F727-4C42-B21E-0290E8BE67EF.jpeg.e6c8f8554fe533357aaca3b77f3d4968.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Stay well everyone!

Torre dei Beati Mazzamurello Montepulciano d'Abruzzo 2017

This wine is a bit elusive, but I did find one online distributor offering it for a reasonable $16.99.  I would love to taste this one. 

93 Wine Enthusiast 

This rich red delivers dense aromas of brandy-soaked berries, tobacco, cocoa powder and clove. It's plush in texture, with succulent berry flavors that envelop the palate. Savory and sweet spices weave throughout, making for a cohesive whole. Firm tannins give power, with fresh acidity riding closely behind. Drink 2023–2030.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

Happy Birthday to Joy @Seasick Sailor and @SusieKIslandGirl!!!!  Enjoy your special day today! 🎈🧁🍾🥂🎉🎈

Graham @grapau27 — please give Pauline my wishes on the 4th memory of her Mother’s passing. Also, I think I know what you two are up to this week.  Something her Mother would want you to be doing.  I’ll keep your secret.  🤫

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the Fleet Update and general info.

Wow,  National Meatloaf Appreciation Day. Believe or not RNB has a meatloaf cruise story. About 15 years ago we were selling on Holland America somewhere in the Caribbean. I should mention that I love the meatloaf on HAL. One nite meatloaf was on the dinner menu in the MDR so I ordered it. Waiting with great anticipation, the meatloaf arrived timely after completing my Caesar salad and French onion soup. I lifted my fork to attack the meatloaf. Then something strange happened. The fork could not breach the meatloaf. Then I lifted my knife and the knife could not breach the meatloaf. Then I called our server over and asked him what was going on with the meatloaf. He replied, “ Let me get the Chef”. After five minutes the Chief Chef arrived and I demonstrated to him that it was impossible to cut the meatloaf. The CC had no idea what happened but offered me another meatloaf. I said, “Never mine, just bring me some pudding 😳

• Like 21
  • Haha 2

Arugula Pizza is one of my favorites! Fresh arugula leaves have a distinctive spicy kick that will turn up the flavors in your salads, pastas, sandwiches, and sauces. The flavor can be bright, tart, peppery, and slightly bitter, depending on its maturity. You'll find that baby arugula is delicate and mild, while mature arugula is much spicier.  While the pizza bakes, toss together the fresh baby arugula with the parmesan cheese. As soon as the pizza comes out of the oven, arrange the arugula on top with a handful of fresh basil. Then simply slice and eat!

Most of these recipes include directions for making homemade pizza dough.  I buy my pizza dough in frozen ball at the grocery store.  I have also used naan, pita bread, tortillas when I wanted a pizza and didn’t have any dough in the freezer.  Cauliflower crusts are easily found in the grocery store and can be substituted if you are watching your carbs.

Fresh pizza dough topped with homemade roasted cherry tomato sauce, basil pesto, a blend of Italian cheese, prosciutto, and topped with parmesan tossed fresh garden arugula. https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/arugula-tomato-cheese-pizza/

Arugula Tomato Cheese Pizza | halfbakedharvest.com

This is a sheet pan pizza with homemade pizza dough, pizza sauce, smoked gouda and mozzarella and topped with arugula.  https://www.acouplecooks.com/arugula-pizza/

Arugula Pizza

Mushrooms are the ideal stand-ins for traditional cured meat toppers; a mix of wild mushrooms adds meaty, umami-rich flavor and earthiness to this pizza.  https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/251178/wild-mushroom-pizza-with-arugula-pecorino/

image.png.4af077781c8289170ac502e0524c9651.png

This “white” pizza uses store bought dough and is topped with ricotta and mozzarella.  After baking a mixture of arugula and prosciutto is placed on top. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/arugula-prosciutto-pizza-recipe-1973868

Food stylist: Jamie Kimm  Prop Stylist: Marina Malchin

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9

Good morning to all. Meatloaf is quite popular in this house except for the vegetarians and usually disappears quickly. My DS has a goatee like beard which he says helps make up for his very bald head. DH has had a beard on and off over the years. Information overload is everywhere today but  I worry about the accuracy of it all.

Happy Birthday to the birthday twins!

Safe travels and Bon Voyage to @aliaschief, Bruce and Sue

@Quartzsite Cruiser, Lenda, I think of you and DH every day and hope he is progressing well. I hope the numbness is decreasing as well as the pain.

Terry

• Like 25

Good morning friends!  It was 43F when I got up to use our treadmill, but the temps are still heading downward and one of my weather app says we are 39F.  So far we haven't turned the heat on, but the lows this week should dip into the 30's regularly so it might happen before November (our annual goal for using our furnace).

Yesterday we decided to run over to the Publix Pharmacy and get our flu shots.  While we were waiting DH said why don't we just get it over with and get our Covid booster shots, too.  It surprised me because I didn't think he wanted to get another booster.  But he agreed so I jumped up from my seat and asked if they could give us the booster shots too.  She checked and said they had two more doses available, so we ended up getting two shots each.  I guess they have to thaw out the booster vaccine and only remove so many from the freezer per day.  Anyway we are doing perfectly well, with only a slight soreness in the Moderna arm.  The flu shot doesn't hurt at all.  Glad that's over with!

Unfortunately when I was eating my breakfast I looked at my email on my phone and saw a very upsetting email from our friend in La Jolla, California.  His wife Beverly had a bad fall a few weeks ago and went to the hospital for four days with a concussion and a small subdural brain bleed.  She went home and several days later complained she couldn't breathe.  Her DH called 911 but as they were loading her into the ambulance her heart stopped.  Nothing could be done for her.  They believe it was a pulmonary embolism.   Our friend is devastated and shattered.  I gasped when I read this and ran to DH to tell him.  He is equally as upset as I am.  Please say a prayer for our friend and Beverly's family and friends (including us).  🙏

Thank you Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  I like meatloaf but there are so many variations you just never know how they will taste.  Our own recipe is our favorite of course.  No beard day is interesting.  I bet they have a Beard Day, too.  DH does not wear a beard, though he gets quite a stubble if he doesn't shave every day.  Sometimes I feel like I'm having information overload, especially when reading Explanation of Benefits statements each month.  I am horrible at figuring out insurance matters, and we're dealing with that right now.  Doctor's office was paid by insurance for something they didn't do, and the provider who actually did do the treatment has been denied because of it.  We're in the middle trying to get everything settled before the real provider sics the collection agency on us!

The quote is quite funny, and the arugula pizza looks good.  The port destination of Kirkwall, Scotland was posted a little over a year ago on Oct. 12, 2021.  I have skipped over that port it seems and never got there.  Here is a link to Oct. 12, 2021 for anyone who had photos there they want to retrieve.

Thanks Roy @rafinmdfor the Lists today.  I said my prayers before I heard about Beverly so will want to say more for her.  Prayers also for the Ukraine people, and Ian and Fiona affected people struggling to get things sorted.  Also the many members here on the list or their loved ones.  Cheers to the happy people on the Celebration list.  Have a wonderful cruise or celebration!

And let's hope we all have a safe and happy day.  You just never know what the coming days bring.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Tuesday report, Rich.  I'm not really a fan of meatloaf, and sometimes feel like I am getting information overload.  I don't really have a beard although sometimes I get stubble since the hormone shots for my cancer really slow down hair growth and I'll often forget to shave.  I love the Vonnegut quote.  I have not been to Kirkwall.  The meal sounds interesting.  My alternative is Fruit Palette, Veal Cutlet, and Pineapple Crisp as served on MS Amsterdam October 18, 2017.

dishes18.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP kochleffel’s friend Fran 10/16/22
Cruisin single’s step son with double cancer
Safe travels for Cruisin Terri
Final days for kochkeffek’s friend Fran
Vict0rian’s cousin in final stages of ALS
Marshhawk’s friend Sheri
Quartzite Cruiser DH numbness in legs
4 years since Pauline mam’s death
Long term power outage for jimgev
From the rotation:
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
Quartzite Cruiser followup surgery 10/24

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard ciabelle
Birthday today for Seasick Sailor and SusieKIslandGirl
Birthday week with sister for Seasick Sailor
Birthday week for SusieKIslandGirl
Aliaschief off for a cruise
5 Days for Cruisin Single (American Star 10/23 to 10/30)
 Cruising-Along(11/5), dfish, NextOne, Richwmn, Live4cruises,  SharoninAz (Nieuw Statendam  to 10/22),  MissG (Oosterdam  to 10/22),  HAL4NOW (Koningsdam  to 10/24), and AncientWanderer (Nieuw Amsterdam to 10/25), Dismomx5 (Rotterdam to 10/27) ,  and Av8rix (Rotterdam  to 10/30)
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy and for kindly mentioning Pauline's mam's 4th memory today.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning! A nice change as we don’t need to rush to the airport which is usually the case.Neighbor is driving us to airport (10 min drive) at 10:30 for a noon flight. Then there will be a long layover in Atlanta for 8PM flight to France. Long day but hopefully can get some sleep in business class flat beds.

Cool outside this morning and the forecast calls for highs in mid sixties. Tomorrow morning it will be in thirties.

Don’t have high expectations for Wi Fi on this river cruise but maybe can post a Daily report.

Have a great week. @StLouisCruisers sorry for the loss of your friend.🙏

Bruce

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2