The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday October 26th, 2022

richwmn

Today's sunrise is from yet another string of cruises but did not happen near water.  In 2014 I sailed QM2 to Europe and returned on the Wind Star.  October 26, 2014 was a  Sunday  and I started the day at my fire house which was offering a breakfast, continued to my church, and finally to New York to await QM2.  The sun came up while I was at the fire house.  My office is in the wing at the right of the photo:

dawn1026.jpg

Roy

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Extra prayers for @smitty34877, @ottahand7, @Quartzsite Cruiser.  Hoping the best for your loved ones.

45 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

In 2014 I sailed QM2 to Europe and returned on the Wind Star.  

Oh my goodness, you’ve sailed on the Wind Star!  What a gorgeous ship that is.  What did you think?  Did you get a pic with the sails up?  She looked so beautiful sailing into Montenegro the other day.

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Extra prayers for @smitty34877, @ottahand7, @Quartzsite Cruiser.  Hoping the best for your loved ones.

Oh my goodness, you’ve sailed on the Wind Star!  What a gorgeous ship that is.  What did you think?  Did you get a pic with the sails up?  She looked so beautiful sailing into Montenegro the other day.

I did not.  Wind Star is quite small and it would be difficult to get a perspective from onboard.  It is a REALLY wonderful experience.

Roy

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Well Dr. is hedging on giving the exemption for the Yellow Fever vaccine.  I'm spitting nails.  Did find a clinic in Ft. Myers and have appointments for next Wednesday.  I hope we will not have any side effects.  All this stress for a relaxing cruise (and chance to meet @StLouisCruisers.  Plus the cost....oh my $700 for the 2 of us.  No insurance accepted.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I had mincemeat in the UK and it was tasty. I will salute the Deployed and horseless carriages. It's also national pumpkin day! Good quote.

I like the meal and drink. Pass on the wine.

I haven't been to Phu My, Vietnam.

Finally home again on this dark and rainy day.  Traffic was awful. Anyway, I have some med changes, another doctor to see, and I picked up my redone glasses. All this took up most of the day. Flu and variant vaccines tomorrow. Fun times!

@dfish It sounds like you're making great packing progress.

@*Miss G* @AncientWanderer Welcome home!

@cat shepard Hopefully a good report from the Dermatologist.

@smitty34877 Prayers for no major Cardiology issue.

@StLouisCruisers Great photos and thanks for Lenda's too! I'm sure it helped Amy tremendously to be surrounded by family.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Oh no on DH's fever and the transfer being off. Glad that his Covid and flu tests were negative. Prayers for the fever to disappear overnight.

@ottahand7 So sorry to hear of your DB's continued issues post-op. Prayers for him.

@Seasick Sailor Good luck to DH with all those appointments everywhere.

@marshhawk Wow, 40 calls an hour is too much! Small steps on the quitting and don't beat yourself up if you backslide, just keep going.

@kazu I hope the inspection was relatively painless!

@aliaschief Thanks for the pictures. Lovely dinner setting. 

@sailingdutchy Great photos!

@durangoscots Hoping that Bandit gets good reports on his biopsies.

@summer slope Sorry your doctor doesn't want to give the exemption. And ouch on the cost of the shots!

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 6

36 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Plus the cost....oh my $700 for the 2 of us.  No insurance accepted.

Wow! That sounded so expensive in comparison to ours (granted, some years back) so I checked a few places listed on the CDC site. Granted, it's MI not FL, but here the Yellow Fever travel vaccination seems to run $125-175 per person.

Since you are an experienced traveler, I'm guessing you've checked the CDC site for FL options but, in case it would be helpful:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellow-fever-vaccination-clinics/search

Good luck whatever you do,

-Melisa

• Like 10

@marshhawk My stepson who will be 50 has been "quitting" smoking for just about 12 years. Patches, hypnosis, nicotine gum, switching to vaping, and of course meds. He's promised his wife and kids for years he's going to quit. The doctor told him you have to want to quit and after all these years and money spent, he has decided he does not want to quit. His words..

I'm pulling for you!

• Like 11

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Well Dr. is hedging on giving the exemption for the Yellow Fever vaccine.  I'm spitting nails.  Did find a clinic in Ft. Myers and have appointments for next Wednesday.  I hope we will not have any side effects.  All this stress for a relaxing cruise (and chance to meet @StLouisCruisers.  Plus the cost....oh my $700 for the 2 of us.  No insurance accepted.

Dixie, before you get the shots, check out the CDC information on yellow fever shots.  Try   www.cdc.gov > yellow fever

It that doesn't work just Google yellow fever shots, and the CDC site should be at tbe top. CDC now says just one shot in a lifetime is all you need.

You could try showing that information to your doctor, and it might convince him to give you the waiver.

It's worth a try to avoid the shot.  BTW, we had them twice and did not have a reaction.

Good luck.

Lenda

• Like 8

@summer slope This summer DW and I  (77 & 71) went to a travel medical clinic to get the YF vaccination.  We had to provide a list of all prescriptions for them to review.  Because of one particular prescription that DW takes, the nurse contacted a supervisor to discuss the appropriateness of the shot.  After further discussion and a review of the letter from our primary care physician that DW was in good health, the vaccination was given.  We both had some soreness at the injection site and DW felt a little blah the next day, but otherwise no real problem getting the shot.  Based on all the info regarding the YF vaccination for seniors, it’s a tough decision on which way to go.  Good luck in sorting all this out.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I did not.  Wind Star is quite small and it would be difficult to get a perspective from onboard.  It is a REALLY wonderful experience.

Roy

Roy, I agree about sailing in the Winf Star cruises.  We've only done one, but it was magical.  It helped that our cruise on Wind Song was around French Polynesia.  One day, the Captain let any passenger who wanted to steer the ship.  This was done on the open deck using one of the two large wheels.  Of course, the Captain was right there to grab the wheel if necessary.  Comparing notes with Tim Roberts when we were on the Prinsendam in 2016, we determined he was a young deck officer when we were on the Wind Song.

42 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I had mincemeat in the UK and it was tasty. I will salute the Deployed and horseless carriages. It's also national pumpkin day! Good quote.

I like the meal and drink. Pass on the wine.

I haven't been to Phu My, Vietnam.

Finally home again on this dark and rainy day.  Traffic was awful. Anyway, I have some med changes, another doctor to see, and I picked up my redone glasses. All this took up most of the day. Flu and variant vaccines tomorrow. Fun times!

@dfish It sounds like you're making great packing progress.

@*Miss G* @AncientWanderer Welcome home!

@cat shepard Hopefully a good report from the Dermatologist.

@smitty34877 Prayers for no major Cardiology issue.

@StLouisCruisers Great photos and thanks for Lenda's too! I'm sure it helped Amy tremendously to be surrounded by family.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Oh no on DH's fever and the transfer being off. Glad that his Covid and flu tests were negative. Prayers for the fever to disappear overnight.

@ottahand7 So sorry to hear of your DB's continued issues post-op. Prayers for him.

@Seasick Sailor Good luck to DH with all those appointments everywhere.

@marshhawk Wow, 40 calls an hour is too much! Small steps on the quitting and don't beat yourself up if you backslide, just keep going.

@kazu I hope the inspection was relatively painless!

@aliaschief Thanks for the pictures. Lovely dinner setting. 

@sailingdutchy Great photos!

@durangoscots Hoping that Bandit gets good reports on his biopsies.

@summer slope Sorry your doctor doesn't want to give the exemption. And ouch on the cost of the shots!

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Vanessa, the transfer tomorrow will depend on wether or not he has a fever overnight.  It's down now.  Also, he does not have a UTI.  So I guess it's the old standby -- fever of an unknown origin.  Also, the physical therapists got him up and walking some this afternoon, and he's been sitting in a chair for a couple of hours.  It took some tough love on the nurses part when he was ready to go back to bed before he is supposed to.

Lenda

• Like 17

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Gosh, I'm sorry your doctor is now giving you a problem over the exemption letter.  Have you considered trying to get the waiver on board like the notification mentioned?  Of course, before I did that I might call HAL and see what they say about the waivers.  If they can assure you that this would not be a problem I might go that route if I were you.  I wonder if any CC members have ever gotten the exemption letter on an Amazon cruise in the past?

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Vanessa, the transfer tomorrow will depend on wether or not he has a fever overnight.  It's down now.  Also, he does not have a UTI.  So I guess it's the old standby -- fever of an unknown origin.  Also, the physical therapists got him up and walking some this afternoon, and he's been sitting in a chair for a couple of hours.  It took some tough love on the nurses part when he was ready to go back to bed before he is supposed to.

Lenda

Praying Steve’s fever goes away.  Those nurses play such a critical role until Steve regains his energy and fighting spirit.  

Rest well. 

• Like 10

Thank you for all the good wishes! I have graduated to “every four month” dermatology check ups for one year.  And if still no recurrences I graduate to “every six months”! Not sure if I will ever get to return to yearly check ups. 

Oddly, I will be ok if I don’t. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

There is a great picture on HAL FB page with a picture of “ Joska” the most traveled service dog on HAL . The dog just received their 700 day medallion.🎉🐾.  I have had the pleasure of sailing with Joska at least twice. Somewhere, I have a picture of her getting their bronze medallion. I believe it was on the Koningsdam premier.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Roy, I agree about sailing in the Winf Star cruises.  We've only done one, but it was magical.  It helped that our cruise on Wind Song was around French Polynesia.  One day, the Captain let any passenger who wanted to steer the ship.  This was done on the open deck using one of the two large wheels.  Of course, the Captain was right there to grab the wheel if necessary.  Comparing notes with Tim Roberts when we were on the Prinsendam in 2016, we determined he was a young deck officer when we were on the Wind Song.

Lenda

When I was on the Wind Surf in May, one of the officers on the bridge told me he came from the Prinsendam. Wind Star was a part of Holland America.

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites. Finally getting light outside at 7:30. 

I think I would like the Thai tacos. We have several bottles of La Marca in our fridge. The quote by Einstein is so "Einstein-esq" 

Thinking of Lenda and Steve as he gets settled into his room. There are many friends here pulling for you.

Today we go to Killeen for an assessment on my sweet husband. (Back) Tomorrow we go to Salado for another. (Diabetes) Friday to Leander for bloodwork and Monday a final assessment in Pflugerville. Can't the VA just get us into ONE location for all these assessments!! Jeez. 

I salute and pray for all our troops. Every day.

Mincemeat is sometimes good but most times not..

image.png.585900c647ccae78377d76b4353be61d.png

Prayers lifted for all our Daily family. Blessings and Cheers. Xx

This is a bummer about the VA.  Really feel sorry for you having to do all that running around.  It's disappointing to hear.  My dad had VA and everything was at one place.  I guess he happened to be lucky.  Hang in there, Joy.

9 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Back again and trying  to remain calm.The cardiologist  is concerned  about the test results and wants to see us Friday. I am hoping for some minor issue. 

Fingers & toes crossed, and prayers that it's just a simple something, Terry.   Modern heart care is amazing.  Glad your DH is under a cardiologist's care. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

When I was on the Wind Surf in May, one of the officers on the bridge told me he came from the Prinsendam. Wind Star was a part of Holland America.

Yes, it was owned by HAL when we sailed on Wind Song in 1995.  HAL sold Wind Star sometime in the early 2000s.  Peter Harris was captain of Volendam in 2002 for the APEC cruise.  He transferred to Wind Star shortly after that. I learned many years later that he stay with WS when the company was sold.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Gosh, I'm sorry your doctor is now giving you a problem over the exemption letter.  Have you considered trying to get the waiver on board like the notification mentioned?  Of course, before I did that I might call HAL and see what they say about the waivers.  If they can assure you that this would not be a problem I might go that route if I were you.  I wonder if any CC members have ever gotten the exemption letter on an Amazon cruise in the past?

Hal basically said sorry. Vaccine, exemption letter or no cruise and no refund. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

24 minutes ago, srdancer said:

@summer slope if you are on Medicare, your prescription plan might cover the YF shots. That is what happened with our Shingrex shots which were done in the doctors office. We called our plan people and they had us print out forms for dr to sign. Worth checking anyway.

Talked with insurance agent and he is checking. Thank you. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

There is a great picture on HAL FB page with a picture of “ Joska” the most traveled service dog on HAL . The dog just received their 700 day medallion.🎉🐾.  I have had the pleasure of sailing with Joska at least twice. Somewhere, I have a picture of her getting their bronze medallion. I believe it was on the Koningsdam premier.

@1ANGELCAT You are correct about that medal presentation to "Joska "  when the ceremony started she was the first one to get called on stage to get her bronze medallion and to large applaus and some tears she accepted it gracefully I remember it well from the Premier cruise on the Koningsdam .

We had the pleasure to be with "Joska " and her parents from the Netherland on at least 4 cruises  and hopefully on our next cruise we will also get that " Valuable " Platinum medal ............

Tony 😍

312606848_10159393216008406_8082177032435203405_n.jpg

Edited by sailingdutchy
To add the nice picture of " Joska "
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2