The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday November 17th, 2022

richwmn

Good Morning from the Nieuw Amsterdam.  Thanks for the daily fleet report.   I'll pass on today's meal suggestion, instead it will be Tamarind.  For whatever reason today they used facial recognition to get off the ship. The line moved very slowly. We walked around a bit and then came back to the ship. 

20221117_112102.thumb.jpg.1f6ef5a1fa9bb647880c1ef6dcb3560f.jpg

• Like 23

2 hours ago, Cat in my lap said:

Good morning!  I went to cardiologist Tuesday and news was basically good, but in September I had a 99 hour episode of afib  that I self converted out of.  My pacemaker maintains records for a year.  Cardiologist was not concerned, but because I will be on a long world cruise he prescribed a new pill to prevent that during the cruise.  So now I have to get enough pills for from now to May.  Since I get pills from MacDill and I needed a new DOD logon, the process is not easy.  I may need to get pills elsewhere.

Today I have several fun events, concert, lunch, museums.  We stay busy when we are home!  Best wishes to all!

Good to hear your evaluation went well. I hear you on how difficult it is to communicate with military pharmacies! 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from sunny California. Was sleeping like a log when my beautiful granddaughter decided it was time to see Bop Bop! What a pleasant alarm clock. All flights yesterday were punctual and without incident. DIL picked us up and had a wonderful dinner for us which really hit the spot after eating airline snacks all day.

We have the house to ourselves for the day as kids are working so maybe a walk and some reading time is in today’s schedule.

One frustration yesterday, on plane, were these two men in front of us who coughed almost continuously from Atlanta to LA. I had to really control myself as I wanted to yell put a dam mask on and help not spread your germs all over the place. 

Being called for breakfast and little one wants to sit next to Bop Bop!❤️
Have a great day!

• Like 24
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

Good Morning It is now a balmy 😉 39F in Central Virginia now — up from 31F earlier! Thanks to all the regular and not so regular contributors to this thread: you continue to ensure it is a welcoming and warm place.

The unpacking is almost done. Ish. The garage floor has been epoxied and the walls painted. Glass door for shower has been installed. Replacement fridge door (dented) has been installed. Window treatments scheduled for Tuesday. No date on closet install yet. Hoping USPS can start delivering our mail a little more regularly.

From one mover to another, wow!  You'll need the cruise after all that.  The next move for me will be on a gurney.

5 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

One frustration yesterday, on plane, were these two men in front of us who coughed almost continuously from Atlanta to LA. I had to really control myself as I wanted to yell put a dam mask on and help not spread your germs all over the place. 

They'll tell you it is just a cold, but frankly, I don't appreciate them sharing that either!  This is an instance where there is some responsibility to the people around you.  Wear the mask!!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, dfish said:

They'll tell you it is just a cold, but frankly, I don't appreciate them sharing that either!  This is an instance where there is some responsibility to the people around you.  Wear the mask!!

My flight back from Amsterdam in September was full of people who were sniffling, sneezing, and coughing. I kept my mask on as much as I could, but I was ill for most of the following week.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 10

We have a big interfaith event tonight and I asked volunteers to bake for the reception. One of them is an expert baklava-maker but I'm grateful that she made something else, because baklava is harder to serve and eat than cookies or cake. I made snickerdoodles and chocolate-dipped toffee cookies. There is a possibility of snow and a share of the audience might switch to Zoom at the last minute, in which case we'll have too many cookies. Our board of directors mandated years ago that half of all desserts must contain chocolate, and that requirement is met.

I'm starting to feel better. After that dreadful committee meeting last week, I was dreading the board meeting this week at which the report was to be presented, but the board meeting wasn't awful, just awfully long. Between the committee meeting and the board meeting we had a two-day rummage sale. I couldn't sleep the night before it opened, and then was on my feet most of the day. The second day wasn't as busy.

I won't comment on heaven, but I'll admit that if my high-school reunions were held at the state penitentiary, more of my classmates would be able to attend.

2090934759_bigbirdshot.jpg.db08d9575f8d4efa8acd33d9628b0651.jpg

• Like 15
  • Haha 5

Good morning all!

Another sunny, crisp morning here. More heavy frost and high 30's heading for 50 F.   No rain until Monday!

Neither DH or I have ever smoked.  Unfortunately our son got the habit while at the Naval Academy and has tried to quit several times (presently too). He recently got back into swimming (he swam for swim teams from the age of 8-22 and was very successful) and that's a big reason he wants to quit, so he can progress further now.

Will pass on the meal, wine drink and Baklava (both too sweet for me).  Have never been to Thailand, but DD, DSIL and the DGSs will be in Thailand for 10 days in January to visit friends and do a lot of diving.  I'm still trying to process in my mind that they will be so far away.

Today is a big day for my neighbor -- the insurance adjuster will be out today to assess the damage to her house from the tree that came through the roof.  Also a big day for DS and DDIL because finally after having their household goods in storage for 11 months, they will be delivered to their home here.  The renovations on the house are almost done, it really is going to be beautiful and we're so excited for them.  It's been a long time since the move up from CA, the threat of a lawsuit against the seller from the neighbor, and the start of the renovations.  But they finally will be able to move in soon.  The final touches will continue after they move in.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a clear, wind still, and cold day in central  Texas.  The thermostat says it's 37F and the indoor/outdoor thermometer says 42F.  Either way, it is cold outside.  I'd been noticing that no matter the outside temperature, the auxiliary heat strips in the heat pump would come on when I'd raise the temperature more than two degrees, no matter the outside temperature.  I called our heating/ac guy, only to learn the digital thermostat is set for them to come on whenever the setting is raised more than two degrees.  Now, I just have to raise it by two degrees until the desired setting is reached.  The good news is I don't have to stay home and wait for them to come out.

The Great American smokeout is good, but quitting smoking takes more than one day for many.  Students can learn a lot form being or hosting international students.  I'm not a fan of Baklava so @MISTER 67 can have my share.

Another weird quote from Oscar Wilde.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  The wine sounds nice, but pricey.

We have been to Ko Samui (the name of the island) once on April 9, 2003, on the old Regal Princess.  It was a substitute port on our mystery cruise from Bangkok to Rome.  Koh Samui is a district on the eastern side of the island, and Nathon is on the western side where the cruise ships tender.

@cunnorl  Charlene, I'm sorry your DD will not be able to go ashore in Cairns (pronounced cans like two coke cans according to an Australian entertainer once).  It is a nice town and easily walkable.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, good luck with getting DH's information into VeriFly.  Be safe going into Atlanta and on the road tomorrow.  I'll also look for your pictures when I look for mine.  It just might not be until late afternoon some days.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I hope your polymyalgia is still acting up.  I hope that being able to slowdown after picking out the tile and vanity, will help it calm down.  Sending positive thoughts for your neighbor Joanne.  I bet the neighbors understand why the POD is there and don't mind it.

@Lady Hudson  Katherine, how nice of your DS to help with meals for your DH.

@Ichiban Nekko  You must be relieved that the unpacking is just about done, and the house is almost complete.  Enjoy Thanksgiving and your much deserved cruise.

We hired a taxi for a tour of the island.  This is a map of the island that was at one of our stops.

The red arrow points to the park with the giant Buddha and other statues is located.  The other arrow points to Nathon and the area of the tender dock.  Koh Samui district is around the "bump" on the eastern side of the island.

InkedInkedIMG_2535.thumb.jpg.206a179d3922dc48a88ba09752b925d8.jpg

This is the dock where we tendered.  The people on the right side of the pictures near the bus with all their luggage were catching up with the ship.  They fly flew to Bangkok in time to catch the ship, but there were problems with the plane, and they made an unexpected stop in Anchorage until another plane became available.  Most were dressed for tropical weather, and were not dressed for Anchorage in April.  Regal Princes is in the background.  There were so many flying from Bangkok that Princess chartered the plane so there would be room for the passengers and their luggage.  The non-ship passengers were booted off the plane.

IMG_2507.thumb.JPG.295e15aa701f6db0f1e5ce02d24ee979.JPG

The Giant Buddha up close and viewed for a town outside the park.

IMG_2511.thumb.JPG.1a841ad04d8c60bbb10c6d1cd4df1a33.JPG

IMG_2520.thumb.JPG.80ed4439f04ec279a491ed18dd3c3f92.JPG

Here are a few more of the many statues.  The park was still a work in progress.

IMG_2512.thumb.JPG.06389f92029719b0cf327374a3daa5c8.JPG

IMG_2515.thumb.JPG.742323be22f7540e4d791859c928e31d.JPG

IMG_2524.thumb.JPG.bdc36920b1e514060ae06c00a7eac978.JPG

A small temple

IMG_2521.thumb.JPG.253c5d96b74856345d6fd46ab0f4ac44.JPG

IMG_2523.thumb.JPG.19c73a853c4e0d33ae225b199e1a1182.JPG

Ko Samui has many very nice beaches and an interesting coastline.

IMG_2508.thumb.JPG.ccab07000702e353c8888adeeca6287b.JPG

IMG_2509.thumb.JPG.e604c36506c194155a6d9a183a4aac0e.JPG

IMG_2528.thumb.JPG.657348166f52e144cbb41a60bb2c6402.JPG

We just viewed the shore from the top of the steps.

IMG_2529.thumb.JPG.782c926c8ed1c300c916d8186ae27a5c.JPG

IMG_2540.thumb.JPG.f0d5877333df1879a8975a4c23a64db7.JPG

A shopping and dining opportunity near a beach

IMG_2545.thumb.JPG.6657973f1ab68f65ab979a426e098d74.JPG

This is as close to riding an elephant as we've ever been.  😉

IMG_2552.thumb.JPG.665acb99f97accb8afb677ada10b2018.JPG

The main street in Nathon.

IMG_2554.thumb.JPG.dfd70d65ee7ffa3a38561b2cb65dd81c.JPG

We enjoyed our day on Ko Samui and meeting all the friendly people.

Lenda

Great photos Lenda.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I hope that people will try to become smoke-free. A salute to students and I like baklava. It's also National Homemade Bread Day! I haven't made as much bread lately. Typical Wilde quote.

Yes to the meal, drink and wine (a bit pricey though).

I haven't been to Nathon. One of my college roommates was Thai and wants me to come visit. I hope to see photos.

Brrr. It was 28 this AM with a windchill of 19. We're up to a balmy 33F. I was surprised to see snow on the roofs and lawns when I looked outside. I challenged my stomach yesterday with spaghetti for dinner, and did ok (yay). BFF wants to go out to eat, but I'll likely just have soup or something mild. Some of the meds I was prescribed yesterday were so pricey. I was able to use GoodRx for one, and got it for less than half. The other I'll have to bite the bullet I suppose.

I have a lot to do. We'll be heading to FLL on Wednesday, for the Caribbean cruise on Apex (BFF won it). I have my trepidations, but hopefully will remain healthy (I'll wear my mask indoors and on tours).

@cunnorl Hang in there with the itinerary changes; I'm sure it's frustrating.

@StLouisCruisers Safe travels to FLL and enjoy your cruise!

@rafinmd Thanks for the lists. Nice sunrise photo.

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad you got everything moved with help. Good luck with the tile. Prayers for Joanne. 

@Cat in my lap I hope you can get the medication without too much hassle.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes. Wow, on Sue processing the deer herself - impressive!

@Lady Hudson That's very kind of your DS to help out.

@Ichiban Nekko Lots going on there! And Bon Voyage! You deserve to relax and have fun.

@RedneckBob Oh my on that performer's accident; hope they are ok.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great photos!

@ottahand7 Good to hear that DB is making some progress. Ugh on having to shovel snow! Be safe if you have to go to your Garden Club.

@aliaschief Enjoy that family time.

@kochleffel I'm glad you're feeling better.

@Cruising-along So good to hear that DS and DDIL will be getting their furnishing delivered and get to move in soon. I hope your neighbor's insurance company does right by her.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday report, Rich. Running way behind in Puerto Limon today.  I do hope @marshhawk and DH can have a successful Smokeout day.  I'll pass on the Baklava but celebrate International Students. Wilde had a strange sense of humor.  Been to Ko Samui twice, Queen Victoria in 2010 and Zaandam in 2012.  No idea what the meal is, and my stuff for that is on my other laptop.  I'll try to go into edit mode over there in a minute for my alternative:

Ok, my alternative is Radicchio and carmelized pear salad, Parmesan coated Veal Loin, and Butter Pecan Ice Cream as served on MS Eurodam November 16, 2022:

dishes16.thumb.jpg.94aa41305ac60c4ee709ac5e1e0be125.jpg

Today’s care list:

Kazu severe foot injury
Ottahand7 Brother in rehab
Terri’s next door neighbor Joanne with stroke and complications
Atexsix weighing complexities of traveling with disabled Dad
From the rotation:
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy
Cruisin Terri leak damage
Marshhawk and DH struggling with smoking

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Alianchief in California
Work about to start on Cruisin Terri’s house and great progress with insurance and contractor
4 days for Cruise Suzy, Lazey1, and HAL Lover (Rotterdam 11/20 to 11/30)
3 days for StLouisCruisers and Summer Slope (Volendam 11/19 to 12/17)
3 days for Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam 11/19 to 1/14/23)
Norseh2o (Sirena to 11/18),   Kazu , 0106, jimgev, Heartgrove and ger_77 (Oosterdam to 11/19).  RednckBob (Beyond  to 11/20), CrazyForCats (Nieuw Amsterdam to 11/20), and me (Eurodam to 11/20) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 10

40 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I challenged my stomach yesterday with spaghetti for dinner, and did ok (yay). BFF wants to go out to eat, but I'll likely just have soup or something mild. Some of the meds I was prescribed yesterday were so pricey. I was able to use GoodRx for one, and got it for less than half. The other I'll have to bite the bullet I suppose.

I have a lot to do. We'll be heading to FLL on Wednesday, for the Caribbean cruise on Apex (BFF won it). I have my trepidations, but hopefully will remain healthy (I'll wear my mask indoors and on tours).

@Cruising-along So good to hear that DS and DDIL will be getting their furnishing delivered and get to move in soon. I hope your neighbor's insurance company does right by her.

Thank you Vanessa!  It has been a long time coming for DS and DDIL.  

I hope your stomach issues are resolved soon and the meds, although pricey, will help.  I'm so sorry.  

We have been trying to book a cruise on the Apex, but it never sails where we want to sail lol.  Maybe some day.  Please let us know how you like it.

• Like 5

DH is making steady progress,  I’ll definitely take slow and steady.  His blood pressure is still dropping at times, but today it didn't seem to go down as far as it was.  Doctors need to realize that like all norms, the best numbers don't work for everyone.  Some people's makeup has different set points.  At least, the doctor and staff here have realized DH is not in the one size fits all group.

All the staff who work with patients are very nice, friendly and caring.  They also take care of the family members too, and give us support when down and cheers when things are going better, along with hugs.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, my apologies for not proofreading my post.  I meant I was sorry the Prednisone had not worked yet.

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning from sunny California. Was sleeping like a log when my beautiful granddaughter decided it was time to see Bop Bop! What a pleasant alarm clock. All flights yesterday were punctual and without incident. DIL picked us up and had a wonderful dinner for us which really hit the spot after eating airline snacks all day.

We have the house to ourselves for the day as kids are working so maybe a walk and some reading time is in today’s schedule.

Have a great day!

Bruce, I'm glad everything worked out well with your flights.  Enjoy your time with your family.

3 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

Good morning!   I saw my DB yesterday briefly.   He is back on his IV antibiotic and it appears that the rash is still receding so that is great news.   My DS visited yesterday afternoon and reported he did do his PT which is great.   Today he goes to the surgeon's office to have his staples removed.  I told him to do everything possible to do his OT and PT.  I told him I wouldn't see him until Sunday at the earliest because we are going to get a huge, extended dump of lake effect snow.  We were in balmy New Buffalo a week ago.  In the last 2 days they got over a foot of snow, timing is everything and we lucked out.  

An interesting group of days.   The Great American Smoke Out was a big thing for us when I was working for several years.  One of our obscure anti-depressants was found to help with smokers' cravings and the company got it FDA approved.   Always a big sales push in November through January peak times for people pledging to stop smoking.   The only international student I remember at my school was 5th grade and I recall the boy was from Cuba.  That was post Cuban missile crisis and he spoke no English.  His name was Raul.   I love Baklava, I had friends from Pakistan when I lived in Ohio and she made rolled Baklava and it was more crisp than sticky and syrupy.   I have friends and family probably in both Heaven and Hell, I will go with my family in Heaven.  OW quote is his view.   The panzanella looked good, I have a couple of squash my DS grew and I will be cooking a part of a large butternut tonight.   The cocktail looks really good, enough to take a photo of it for future drinking on a BHB.   The wine looks great too, Bordeaux has had a good run of vintages.  @Quartzsite Cruiserthanks for the photos of today's port.    

I have already been out shoveling to get to my bird feeders and also pushing the heavy recycling bin to the curb for tomorrow's pickup.   I am glad I didn't wait any longer.   It was difficult pushing it through wet snow that built up on the wheels.  I will have to shovel again when I go feed the birds again.   I have garden club tonight and I am really hoping that they have the wisdom to cancel it.   Usually when schools are closed is the guide.   I think the local schools are doing conferences so they probably won't close early because it was happening anyway.  I am providing food and doing a brief  talk so there is no way I can bail out if they go forward.    Prayers for all on our care report and the people of Ukraine.   Thinking of all of you on cruises and preparing to go one one!  Have a great day!   

Nancy, I hope your DB has a good report from the doctor today, and I hope the rash continues to recede.  It's good news he is doing his PT.  Be careful in the snow.  🤞 the meeting is canceled tonight.

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Another sunny, crisp morning here. More heavy frost and high 30's heading for 50 F.   No rain until Monday!

Neither DH or I have ever smoked.  Unfortunately our son got the habit while at the Naval Academy and has tried to quit several times (presently too). He recently got back into swimming (he swam for swim teams from the age of 8-22 and was very successful) and that's a big reason he wants to quit, so he can progress further now.

Will pass on the meal, wine drink and Baklava (both too sweet for me).  Have never been to Thailand, but DD, DSIL and the DGSs will be in Thailand for 10 days in January to visit friends and do a lot of diving.  I'm still trying to process in my mind that they will be so far away.

Today is a big day for my neighbor -- the insurance adjuster will be out today to assess the damage to her house from the tree that came through the roof.  Also a big day for DS and DDIL because finally after having their household goods in storage for 11 months, they will be delivered to their home here.  The renovations on the house are almost done, it really is going to be beautiful and we're so excited for them.  It's been a long time since the move up from CA, the threat of a lawsuit against the seller from the neighbor, and the start of the renovations.  But they finally will be able to move in soon.  The final touches will continue after they move in.

Carolyn, I'm hope the insurance adjustor gives your neighbor a good estimate on the repairs.  I know the whole family is relieved your DS and DDIL are moving into their new home and the work is almost complete.

51 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I hope that people will try to become smoke-free. A salute to students and I like baklava. It's also National Homemade Bread Day! I haven't made as much bread lately. Typical Wilde quote.

I haven't been to Nathon. One of my college roommates was Thai and wants me to come visit. I hope to see photos.

Brrr. It was 28 this AM with a windchill of 19. We're up to a balmy 33F. I was surprised to see snow on the roofs and lawns when I looked outside. I challenged my stomach yesterday with spaghetti for dinner, and did ok (yay). BFF wants to go out to eat, but I'll likely just have soup or something mild. Some of the meds I was prescribed yesterday were so pricey. I was able to use GoodRx for one, and got it for less than half. The other I'll have to bite the bullet I suppose.

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad you got everything moved with help. Good luck with the tile. Prayers for Joanne. 

@dfish Thanks for the recipes. Wow, on Sue processing the deer herself - impressive!

@Ichiban Nekko Lots going on there! And Bon Voyage! You deserve to relax and have fun.

@ottahand7 Good to hear that DB is making some progress. Ugh on having to shovel snow! Be safe if you have to go to your Garden Club.

Stay safe everyone.

Vanessa, I'm glad your tummy did okay last night.  Hope all goes well tonight.  We've used GoodRx for several years.  I found out recently when the clerk at our pharmacy said GoodRx isn't always the least expensive.  She added they always check the other discount plans they accept and go with the least expensive one.  You might want to ask your pharmacy about other plans.

18 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser

Why is the mermaid using a cell phone?

Annie, I didn't even notice the cell phone.  The park was being built in 2002.  My guess as to why the cell phone is poetic license.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a clear, wind still, and cold day in central  Texas.  The thermostat says it's 37F and the indoor/outdoor thermometer says 42F.  Either way, it is cold outside.  I'd been noticing that no matter the outside temperature, the auxiliary heat strips in the heat pump would come on when I'd raise the temperature more than two degrees, no matter the outside temperature.  I called our heating/ac guy, only to learn the digital thermostat is set for them to come on whenever the setting is raised more than two degrees.  Now, I just have to raise it by two degrees until the desired setting is reached.  The good news is I don't have to stay home and wait for them to come out.

The Great American smokeout is good, but quitting smoking takes more than one day for many.  Students can learn a lot form being or hosting international students.  I'm not a fan of Baklava so @MISTER 67 can have my share.

Another weird quote from Oscar Wilde.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  The wine sounds nice, but pricey.

We have been to Ko Samui (the name of the island) once on April 9, 2003, on the old Regal Princess.  It was a substitute port on our mystery cruise from Bangkok to Rome.  Koh Samui is a district on the eastern side of the island, and Nathon is on the western side where the cruise ships tender.

@cunnorl  Charlene, I'm sorry your DD will not be able to go ashore in Cairns (pronounced cans like two coke cans according to an Australian entertainer once).  It is a nice town and easily walkable.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, good luck with getting DH's information into VeriFly.  Be safe going into Atlanta and on the road tomorrow.  I'll also look for your pictures when I look for mine.  It just might not be until late afternoon some days.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I hope your polymyalgia is still acting up.  I hope that being able to slowdown after picking out the tile and vanity, will help it calm down.  Sending positive thoughts for your neighbor Joanne.  I bet the neighbors understand why the POD is there and don't mind it.

@Lady Hudson  Katherine, how nice of your DS to help with meals for your DH.

@Ichiban Nekko  You must be relieved that the unpacking is just about done, and the house is almost complete.  Enjoy Thanksgiving and your much deserved cruise.

We hired a taxi for a tour of the island.  This is a map of the island that was at one of our stops.

The red arrow points to the park with the giant Buddha and other statues is located.  The other arrow points to Nathon and the area of the tender dock.  Koh Samui district is around the "bump" on the eastern side of the island.

InkedInkedIMG_2535.thumb.jpg.206a179d3922dc48a88ba09752b925d8.jpg

This is the dock where we tendered.  The people on the right side of the pictures near the bus with all their luggage were catching up with the ship.  They fly flew to Bangkok in time to catch the ship, but there were problems with the plane, and they made an unexpected stop in Anchorage until another plane became available.  Most were dressed for tropical weather, and were not dressed for Anchorage in April.  Regal Princes is in the background.  There were so many flying from Bangkok that Princess chartered the plane so there would be room for the passengers and their luggage.  The non-ship passengers were booted off the plane.

IMG_2507.thumb.JPG.295e15aa701f6db0f1e5ce02d24ee979.JPG

The Giant Buddha up close and viewed for a town outside the park.

IMG_2511.thumb.JPG.1a841ad04d8c60bbb10c6d1cd4df1a33.JPG

IMG_2520.thumb.JPG.80ed4439f04ec279a491ed18dd3c3f92.JPG

Here are a few more of the many statues.  The park was still a work in progress.

IMG_2512.thumb.JPG.06389f92029719b0cf327374a3daa5c8.JPG

IMG_2524.thumb.JPG.bdc36920b1e514060ae06c00a7eac978.JPG

A small temple

IMG_2521.thumb.JPG.253c5d96b74856345d6fd46ab0f4ac44.JPG

IMG_2523.thumb.JPG.19c73a853c4e0d33ae225b199e1a1182.JPG

Ko Samui has many very nice beaches and an interesting coastline.

IMG_2508.thumb.JPG.ccab07000702e353c8888adeeca6287b.JPG

IMG_2509.thumb.JPG.e604c36506c194155a6d9a183a4aac0e.JPG

IMG_2528.thumb.JPG.657348166f52e144cbb41a60bb2c6402.JPG

We just viewed the shore from the top of the steps.

IMG_2529.thumb.JPG.782c926c8ed1c300c916d8186ae27a5c.JPG

IMG_2540.thumb.JPG.f0d5877333df1879a8975a4c23a64db7.JPG

A shopping and dining opportunity near a beach

IMG_2545.thumb.JPG.6657973f1ab68f65ab979a426e098d74.JPG

This is as close to riding an elephant as we've ever been.  😉

IMG_2552.thumb.JPG.665acb99f97accb8afb677ada10b2018.JPG

The main street in Nathon.

IMG_2554.thumb.JPG.dfd70d65ee7ffa3a38561b2cb65dd81c.JPG

We enjoyed our day on Ko Samui and meeting all the friendly people.

Lenda

Lenda, thanks for the great photos of today's port.  This morning I tried three times to get DH's test results into VeriFLY, and the third time was the charm!  It shouldn't have been that hard to do!  Anyway we are both set there.  We will leave here about 3 to drive to ATL, pick up the car, and drive both cars back home so that's probably 2 1/2 hours of our valuable time.  Then eat something quick for dinner and finish up our evening chores and try to get some sleep.  We'd like to be out the door at 3 a.m. because we never know how bad traffic jams will be.  Too many delays and we will be late on our rental return and I sure don't want to pay for 2 days at those rates!  Plus I will need some rest stops to make sure my leg doesn't act up.  It's been several months I've been doing my PT on it and the pain is less than it was.  Hope all goes well for you and Steve while we're away.  I will check in of course whenever we get some decent internet on the ship.

3 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

Good morning!   I saw my DB yesterday briefly.   He is back on his IV antibiotic and it appears that the rash is still receding so that is great news.   My DS visited yesterday afternoon and reported he did do his PT which is great.   Today he goes to the surgeon's office to have his staples removed.  I told him to do everything possible to do his OT and PT.  I told him I wouldn't see him until Sunday at the earliest because we are going to get a huge, extended dump of lake effect snow.  We were in balmy New Buffalo a week ago.  In the last 2 days they got over a foot of snow, timing is everything and we lucked out.  

An interesting group of days.   The Great American Smoke Out was a big thing for us when I was working for several years.  One of our obscure anti-depressants was found to help with smokers' cravings and the company got it FDA approved.   Always a big sales push in November through January peak times for people pledging to stop smoking.   The only international student I remember at my school was 5th grade and I recall the boy was from Cuba.  That was post Cuban missile crisis and he spoke no English.  His name was Raul.   I love Baklava, I had friends from Pakistan when I lived in Ohio and she made rolled Baklava and it was more crisp than sticky and syrupy.   I have friends and family probably in both Heaven and Hell, I will go with my family in Heaven.  OW quote is his view.   The panzanella looked good, I have a couple of squash my DS grew and I will be cooking a part of a large butternut tonight.   The cocktail looks really good, enough to take a photo of it for future drinking on a BHB.   The wine looks great too, Bordeaux has had a good run of vintages.  @Quartzsite Cruiserthanks for the photos of today's port.    

I have already been out shoveling to get to my bird feeders and also pushing the heavy recycling bin to the curb for tomorrow's pickup.   I am glad I didn't wait any longer.   It was difficult pushing it through wet snow that built up on the wheels.  I will have to shovel again when I go feed the birds again.   I have garden club tonight and I am really hoping that they have the wisdom to cancel it.   Usually when schools are closed is the guide.   I think the local schools are doing conferences so they probably won't close early because it was happening anyway.  I am providing food and doing a brief  talk so there is no way I can bail out if they go forward.    Prayers for all on our care report and the people of Ukraine.   Thinking of all of you on cruises and preparing to go one one!  Have a great day!   

Glad to hear your DB is doing a little better.  Hope that trend continues.  

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Have a great day!

Sounds like a great time!  Enjoy them while they're young because those years go so fast!  Sorry to hear about the coughers on the plane.  Stay healthy!

2 hours ago, dfish said:

From one mover to another, wow!  You'll need the cruise after all that.  The next move for me will be on a gurney.

I hope your next move (on the gurney) is a long, long time from now.🙏

58 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

I'm happy to hear your DS and DDIL are almost ready to move into that new to them house.  I'm sure the renovations are stunning.  And good luck to your neighbor on the insurance adjuster visit.  They'd better be fair with her.  That's why we pay all that money to them year after year.

41 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Stay safe everyone.

Vanessa, glad your tummy wasn't so troubled yesterday after your dinner.  And nice job getting the one prescription at a discount.  I always appreciate a savings on prescriptions.  Take care!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Carolyn, I'm hope the insurance adjustor gives your neighbor a good estimate on the repairs.  I know the whole family is relieved your DS and DDIL are moving into their new home and the work is almost complete.

Thank you Lenda, I hope so too.  I see that her son is over there too, and I know he's looking out for his Mom. 🙂  Great news about your DH's progress.  I agree, "slow and steady" is good!

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'm happy to hear your DS and DDIL are almost ready to move into that new to them house.  I'm sure the renovations are stunning.  And good luck to your neighbor on the insurance adjuster visit.  They'd better be fair with her.  That's why we pay all that money to them year after year.

Thank you Sandi.  DS and DDIL are also getting another puppy!  I will be having new grand-pup photos to share 😉  One of their dogs passed away this year and they have been waiting to get another until they're able to move into their house.  

• Like 17

Good afternoon. It is 27F here.... we may make it to freezing. It is supposed to warm up (sort of) the next few days. This morning was spent taking the Chi into the vet to see if he has some pain issues since he tends to scream when I pick him up some times. So far the tests point to behavior rather than physical but we will continue to monitor. He was fine at the vet's office and allowed himself to be poked and prodded... then yelled as we were leaving. Wish I knew more of his history.

I like Baklava but should not eat it... so a very small helping, please. For those of you who usually post, but are going to cut back or even disappear for a while due to cruising.... have a great time. Those of us land locked will survive.... I hope.

We have an open house at the shelter tonight to celebrate the renovations. Thankfully just about everything is done except a couple minor tweaks... and an issue with the gutters.

Susan

• Like 20

Interesting day!  Hello, all, thanks for the daily news.  We came back early from Bellingham, DH had a problem, and we raced back, thinking we would stop at the hospital on our way home, but he recovered on the ferry.  I told DD he just didn't want me spending any more money!  We're not exactly in the developing world here in Canada, but it is nice to see some different stuff once in a while!  I was able to do a bit of Christmas shopping and take advantage of Black Friday specials.  We just didn't get to TJ's or Safeway for freezer stuff.  

We visited Nathon in 2014 on our Far East cruise, Pat and our DD took a ship's tour to visit elephants and temples, etc., but I and DSIL and her hubby went in to Nathon on the tender and just walked around.  DD was not happy with their treatment of the elephants so they did not go on a ride.  She bought a bunch of bananas to feed the baby elephant, and noted she didn't have to peel them...

P1050546.thumb.JPG.285acb20e326533753fec40e4da75bb8.JPG

P1060301.thumb.JPG.d69ca7150513dc7938013d41745e3176.JPG

Fish market...

P1050565.thumb.JPG.09904bfbca064406fb1b4afdc3ed40c6.JPG

Lots of birds in cages

P1050550.thumb.JPG.bac3d6419d18c17de5d968647f3cb958.JPG

From Pat and DD's tour

P1060305.thumb.JPG.114de7b2187ea47213d3328bebf561ca.JPG

P1060676.thumb.JPG.a7b90158f318c752d66ee9ffb0952468.JPG

P1060335.thumb.JPG.ca3844251f9da32d1ce4ec173139ced3.JPG

P1060336.thumb.JPG.da92bff3bf9bbf7e04a53c6c30e9c9e4.JPG

• Like 16
  • Thanks 7

42 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Lenda, thanks for the great photos of today's port.  This morning I tried three times to get DH's test results into VeriFLY, and the third time was the charm!  It shouldn't have been that hard to do!  Anyway we are both set there.  We will leave here about 3 to drive to ATL, pick up the car, and drive both cars back home so that's probably 2 1/2 hours of our valuable time.  Then eat something quick for dinner and finish up our evening chores and try to get some sleep.  We'd like to be out the door at 3 a.m. because we never know how bad traffic jams will be.  Too many delays and we will be late on our rental return and I sure don't want to pay for 2 days at those rates!  Plus I will need some rest stops to make sure my leg doesn't act up.  It's been several months I've been doing my PT on it and the pain is less than it was.  Hope all goes well for you and Steve while we're away.  I will check in of course whenever we get some decent internet on the ship.

Glad to hear your DB is doing a little better.  Hope that trend continues.  

Sounds like a great time!  Enjoy them while they're young because those years go so fast!  Sorry to hear about the coughers on the plane.  Stay healthy!

I hope your next move (on the gurney) is a long, long time from now.🙏

Vanessa, glad your tummy wasn't so troubled yesterday after your dinner.  And nice job getting the one prescription at a discount.  I always appreciate a savings on prescriptions.  Take care!

Safe travels Sandi and best wishes for a fantastic cruise.

Graham.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Interesting day!  Hello, all, thanks for the daily news.  We came back early from Bellingham, DH had a problem, and we raced back, thinking we would stop at the hospital on our way home, but he recovered on the ferry.  I told DD he just didn't want me spending any more money!  We're not exactly in the developing world here in Canada, but it is nice to see some different stuff once in a while!  I was able to do a bit of Christmas shopping and take advantage of Black Friday specials.  We just didn't get to TJ's or Safeway for freezer stuff.  

We visited Nathon in 2014 on our Far East cruise, Pat and our DD took a ship's tour to visit elephants and temples, etc., but I and DSIL and her hubby went in to Nathon on the tender and just walked around.  DD was not happy with their treatment of the elephants so they did not go on a ride.  She bought a bunch of bananas to feed the baby elephant, and noted she didn't have to peel them...

P1050546.thumb.JPG.285acb20e326533753fec40e4da75bb8.JPG

P1060301.thumb.JPG.d69ca7150513dc7938013d41745e3176.JPG

Fish market...

P1050565.thumb.JPG.09904bfbca064406fb1b4afdc3ed40c6.JPG

Lots of birds in cages

P1050550.thumb.JPG.bac3d6419d18c17de5d968647f3cb958.JPG

From Pat and DD's tour

P1060305.thumb.JPG.114de7b2187ea47213d3328bebf561ca.JPG

P1060676.thumb.JPG.a7b90158f318c752d66ee9ffb0952468.JPG

P1060335.thumb.JPG.ca3844251f9da32d1ce4ec173139ced3.JPG

P1060336.thumb.JPG.da92bff3bf9bbf7e04a53c6c30e9c9e4.JPG

Nice photos Ann.

Graham.

• Like 4

Well, someone else dropped off four loaves of zucchini bread, which we neither needed nor wanted. The kitchen manager told me that it was very hard to slice and doesn't taste very good. The baker will not be present; may watch over Zoom but the reception won't be Zoomed.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4