The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday December 10th, 2022

richwmn

Good evening.  It's been a long day, but I made a lot of progress on the second go round of the gingerbread cookies.  I got them baked by early afternoon.  I got the base coats of icing on the red and white cookies and will do the green ones once the supper dishes are done.  This gives the icing a chance to dry overnight before I add the details tomorrow.

10 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Not sure what happened to the rest of my post. The 2 are applying for residency. Tux and TT. 

Tux and TT are adorable, and I bet they will be a great addition to the family.

7 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Cold in the mornings, but we will get reasonably better temps the next few days before winter makes a return. The Chihuahua is getting much better about his early morning walks. He seems to have figured out that if he does his business, I will put him back in the warm house and walk the Shih Tzu (he loves cold weather) further. The double walks are good for me.

Yesterday turned into a frenzy of baking day. The Christmas party for the shelter was last night and they suddenly did some calculations and found they were going to be very short on desserts (and I took all those cookies to the shelter last week). I managed to turn out 3 batches of cookies and 2 Bourbon Pound cakes in the course of the afternoon. They were well received and my kitchen is a disaster. I went to the party to deliver my goods and stayed a short time. I think the staff has a much better time when the BOD members are not there. Actually, I enjoyed the baking.... something I do not do for myself.

I think the meal of day sounds wonderful as our temperatures drop and snow is predicted. Would love to be the way to Mexico. I so envy those of you on ships, especially over the Holidays. Maybe next year for me.

Susan

Susan

Susan, Monty proves my theory that dogs are smarter than we give them credit for.  Glad you could domthe baking and resuce the Christmas party 

6 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you so much everyone!  I have passed along all the greetings and DH says Thank You.

We won't be doing any celebrating -- yet. I'll urge him to pick up a piece of cake at the bakery, he deserves that.  He's been an angel taking care of me through this horrible flu.  I mentioned before that we planned a surprise birthday party for TODAY.  We're even flying DH's sister here from Savannah.  She has never been very far west at all.  Anyway, the family has rearranged her flights and now we'll have the party on January 7 when I'm more up to it.  He now knows there will be a party, but not that his sister is coming.  It is his 75th after all.  

I turned the corner 2 days ago, so finally after 9 days, when my fever finally went down to normal.  Now it's just a matter of getting my appetite back (last night I ate a whole salad, the most I've eaten all through this) and getting over this fatigue.  I know I haven't been this sick since the early '70's when DH and I both had the Hong Kong flu.  And I was 50 years younger.

Again, thank you all for the birthday wishes for DH and better health wishes for me.  All very much appreciated!

Carolyn, I'm glad your fever broke and you're feeling better.  Take it easy as you recover.  I know the belated birthday celebration will be a big hit.

4 hours ago, superoma said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser lenda, I made your recipe this afternoon. Very good, thank you for sharing. And I learned something about chocolate and evaporated milk! Turns into fudge! To my other Canadians on the daily, the 300 gram packages of semi sweet chips are 10 ounces so you will need part of a fourth bag. I weighed to be sure. And no chance of an oven fire since no baking involved lol

another soccer day here. Quite the game this morning with Morocco beating Portugal and the France England game has gotten really interesting in the last 10 minutes!

Eva, I'm glad you liked the recipe.  You might want to try the alternate version that uses sweetened condensed milk and semi-sweet bar baking chocolate.  It makes a great dropped chocolate candy.

3 hours ago, dobiemom said:

Just got home about 10am.

San Pedro embarkation and disembarkation was very smooth. Discovery Princess is a beautiful ship. I just had to get used to that sometimes you can’t get there from here (from the aft, decks 5 and 6 (MDRs) don’t go through, you need to go to at least deck 7 and maybe circle back). We had  premium balcony cabin (sofa and larger balcony). We were on Deck 9 (Dolphin) and it was covered a bit. The balconies below us had no cover, and ones above were fully covered. 

The Medallion worked pretty well.  We ordered drinks, food, towels for the cabin, and had our room service tray picked up. It’s cool that you can find your shipmates, look up your account, have your door unlocked, etc.  

Dinner reservations for MDRs and specialty restaurants were made with no problem, we got the days/times we wanted. Service was a bit slow but hey, I’m on vacation. We ate in the buffet some breakfasts and lunches. Service was great and as were the selections. Love the (several) omelette stations.  

The entertainment very good. Lots of activities. Music was all over the ship all the time. Night entertainment (singer/dancer production shows) were very good. Several comedians but I didn’t  attend. 

We did a private excursion in PV, and went to Pancho’s Restaurant in Mazatlan. DD just went shopping in Cabo San Lucas.
All in all DD and I had a nice cruise. 

I'm glad you and DD had a great cruise.  Welcome home.

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Bon Voyage - hope your flight is safe and smooth!

37824651-A0AD-40D4-95CA-8C311DAF789B.jpeg.6efac4901632fd7e8871f9ca6e79f806.jpeg

So glad to hear that your DSIL had a successful procedure.  Sorry to hear that her condition is so weak and I know this will be an even harder fight for her 😔 winging more prayers her way 🙏🏻 

51F53024-625D-48BB-B400-1E922E9C5D67.jpeg.1832f4d8ea73335d329b9c789dd1aafb.jpeg

YAY 🙂. Bon Voyage 😄 

425AC8F1-2A3E-4444-8E1F-7CED3D496731.jpeg.b3e9b64d88da748169569efc8eea999e.jpeg

Thanks.  I did look at going earlier but now the prices are astronomical and it’s not worth it - especially when the storm could hit in 48 hours - there are just too many unknowns.  If I could do it affordably and with some certainty, I would, believe me.  I did it for our Sail a Way Gang cruise when it turned out a freak storm was coming. It was predictable.  This is not. 😔 

Yay 🙂. This is good news, indeed.  I hope you can continue to improve and recover fully and get over your fatigue quickly 🙏🏻 

Jacqui, sending positive thoughts that the bad winter weather headed your way, leaves you a travel window.

1 hour ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

Hello Dailyites! I have read today's entries but have lots of missed days to catch up on. Wishing you all who are on or getting ready to be on a BHB Bon Voyage.

I received a notification that @Rowsby had made a comment and was embarrassed to see that I hadn't checked in for a number of days with an update. I think both DH and I are turning the corner. Although we both had a couple of tough days earlier in the week, I don't think my situation was anywhere near as serious as DH, but it certainly laid me out. The meds seem to be doing what they are supposed to and I feel a definite improvement. DH's color is much better. Both of us only cough occasionally. The Kleenex doesn't seem to run out so fast. However, our energy levels are, ahem, lacking -- although improving. And we feel as though it takes each of us three attempts to perform the most simple task. Ugh.

On to the more positive: the semi-catered dinner for David's 80th was wonderful. An extensive charcuterie tray (tonight will be Day 3, and we will have the last tomorrow) with an amazing selection of color, taste, texture of cheeses, cured meats & pickles started us off. The mains were generous and ever so tasty crab cakes with asparagus, rice and a tossed salad (next time we will split one and save the other for the following night). The desserts waited until last night. But OMG! they were amazing! Usually, I am not a big dessert person (give me a cheese tray) but the 3-layer carrot cake and the flourless German chocolate cake were absolute show-stoppers. At the risk of losing my Dailyite status, we confess that the wine was put aside until we have completed our antibiotic treatments!! Almost sacrilege. But we are truly committed to overcoming whatever this 'thing' is. The wine will be our prize, haha!

Consequently, the turkey in the freezer shall wait for a time after the Holidays to be roasted, as we are ordering in our Xmas feast from this chef/caterer. That will certainly lighten our load.

So all you you, planning for trips and/or visitors over the holidays, baking things that I have never ever baked, decorating your homes, giving time to your communities -- you are all such good people. I know the gods are smiling on you, one and all.

BTW, I had read some of @RedneckBob RNB's comments about his time on the Nieuw Statendam. I had looked forward to meeting him during our adventure and it will just have to wait for another sailing. However, he sure makes me laugh. Hard. And that is such a tonic right now.

On a more serious note, this 'adventure' has us questioning whether we should reconsider our Buenos Aires to FLL escapade in 2024. If a short medevac from the Caribbean has had such effects on us, what if something happened in SA? The distance, the language & cultural issues could loom large indeed. And there is that pesky detail that we are not getting any younger.

However, I do want to stress that the care we received on the Nieuw Statendam was absolutely top notch. The professionals are compassionate but extremely knowledgeable. The scope of equipment and facilities in the Medical Unit are really something. All the same, if possible, I hope not to revisit that area in the near future, thank you.

I am starting to deal with the insurance paperwork. Not surprisingly, the only documentation I need is in HAL's hands. Yesterday, I spent 90 minutes on hold attempting to connect with Guest Relations without success. I did send an email and received an autoreply. Sigh.

Thank you all for such lovely notes of support and caring. David and I look forward to returning to 'normal' soon. And I hope to be more fun, and way less whingey. Cheers,

-Cat (& David too!!)

Cat, that is good news that you and David are doing better.  The birthday dinner sounds like it was a success.

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Yay 🙂. This is good news, indeed.  I hope you can continue to improve and recover fully and get over your fatigue quickly 🙏🏻 

Thank you so much Jacqui.  I've been catching up on old Call the Midwives episodes and napping a lot.

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Oh my!  Thank you for the gorgeous kitty greeting.  He looks just like my buddy Jinx from across the street in his better days.

@Quartzsite CruiserLenda we were typing the same time so I wasn't quick enough to add you to the multi-quote (or just don't know how to after the fact) but thank you!!

• Like 12

Today I wanted to see if I could drive myself wearing the "boot".  Adjusted the seat all the way back and sat in the car in the garage and it seemed that I could touch the gas pedal without hitting the brake.  We were going to the Navy Base so I could get a much needed haircut.  Backed out of the garage, went down our driveway and down the hill to the main road and once on the flat road the car wouldn't accelerate.  The boot is too wide.  So I stopped and Sara drove us to the base.  Plan B was to see if my old Vietnam jungle boots still fit as the laced up canvas uppers would act similar to the boot.  Took them down from a shelf in the garage, cleaned them up and tried one of them on.  In 1970

I wore a size 9 shoe Now it is a ten so they won't fit.  Plan C is to see if I can drive Sara's Lexus or my SUV.  Plan D is to drive with a normal shoe and change to the boot when I get there.

Watched most of the Army Navy game today.  A good game, not a good ending.

Ray

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Today I wanted to see if I could drive myself wearing the "boot".  Adjusted the seat all the way back and sat in the car in the garage and it seemed that I could touch the gas pedal without hitting the brake.  We were going to the Navy Base so I could get a much needed haircut.  Backed out of the garage, went down our driveway and down the hill to the main road and once on the flat road the car wouldn't accelerate.  The boot is too wide.  So I stopped and Sara drove us to the base.  Plan B was to see if my old Vietnam jungle boots still fit as the laced up canvas uppers would act similar to the boot.  Took them down from a shelf in the garage, cleaned them up and tried one of them on.  In 1970

I wore a size 9 shoe Now it is a ten so they won't fit.  Plan C is to see if I can drive Sara's Lexus or my SUV.  Plan D is to drive with a normal shoe and change to the boot when I get there.

Watched most of the Army Navy game today.  A good game, not a good ending.

Ray

Ray, I don’t want to be a Debbie Downer but did your orthopaedic surgeon give you permission to drive with a boot?  I wasn’t allowed to drive when I had one.  and it was on the other foot.

It’s normally not allowed to drive while wearing one.  I caution you to check with your insurance company because there is a concern that the boot inhibits quick reactions (as you have seen).

Unless you are cleared, please just be chauffered for a few weeks.  It’s safer, honestly.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Now that both England and Netherlands have been kocked out of the World Cup, I guess I have to decide between rooting for Croatia or Morocco. I think I will be rooting for Morocco; I always have kind of liked an underdog and they're ranked the lowest of all the remaining teams. Morocco also was able to overcome French and Spanish rule and reunite as a nation in the year of my birth. 

Maybe this Moroccan team, ranked 22nd in the world, will be able to overcome France again (ranked 4th) this coming week.

Edited by HAL4NOW
  • Like 11

@StLouisCruisers:

Glad to hear more positive news today. I'm sure it will be quite a long time to regain all her strength. I hope things just continue going up from here on.

@dfish:

Thank you to @HAL Sailer for the update on DSIL. However things progress from here, let her be comfortable and peaceful. 

@ottahand7:

@HAL Sailerthanks for updating us on your DSIL and that she came through her procedure. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser:

HAL Sailer Melisa, I'm glad that DSIL came through the procedure well, and that she and your DH got to have a brief talk. I too am hoping that she can remain comfortable not matter what the future holds.

@JazzyV:

@HAL Sailer Continued prayers for DSIL. I hope she can regain some of her strength.

@kazu:

So glad to hear that your DSIL had a successful procedure. Sorry to hear that her condition is so weak and I know this will be an even harder fight for her 😔 winging more prayers her way 🙏🏻 

Thanks for all of the caring comments, wishes, and prayers for my DSIL along with everyone's 💙 and 🏆.  With all she is battling, I do not know how she continues to fight on. But, as a very devout person, I know DSIL feels guided by a power much higher than me. 

-Melisa

• Like 16

3 hours ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

Hello Dailyites! I have read today's entries but have lots of missed days to catch up on. Wishing you all who are on or getting ready to be on a BHB Bon Voyage.

I received a notification that @Rowsby had made a comment and was embarrassed to see that I hadn't checked in for a number of days with an update. I think both DH and I are turning the corner. Although we both had a couple of tough days earlier in the week, I don't think my situation was anywhere near as serious as DH, but it certainly laid me out. The meds seem to be doing what they are supposed to and I feel a definite improvement. DH's color is much better. Both of us only cough occasionally. The Kleenex doesn't seem to run out so fast. However, our energy levels are, ahem, lacking -- although improving. And we feel as though it takes each of us three attempts to perform the most simple task. Ugh.

On to the more positive: the semi-catered dinner for David's 80th was wonderful. An extensive charcuterie tray (tonight will be Day 3, and we will have the last tomorrow) with an amazing selection of color, taste, texture of cheeses, cured meats & pickles started us off. The mains were generous and ever so tasty crab cakes with asparagus, rice and a tossed salad (next time we will split one and save the other for the following night). The desserts waited until last night. But OMG! they were amazing! Usually, I am not a big dessert person (give me a cheese tray) but the 3-layer carrot cake and the flourless German chocolate cake were absolute show-stoppers. At the risk of losing my Dailyite status, we confess that the wine was put aside until we have completed our antibiotic treatments!! Almost sacrilege. But we are truly committed to overcoming whatever this 'thing' is. The wine will be our prize, haha!

Consequently, the turkey in the freezer shall wait for a time after the Holidays to be roasted, as we are ordering in our Xmas feast from this chef/caterer. That will certainly lighten our load.

So all you you, planning for trips and/or visitors over the holidays, baking things that I have never ever baked, decorating your homes, giving time to your communities -- you are all such good people. I know the gods are smiling on you, one and all.

BTW, I had read some of @RedneckBob RNB's comments about his time on the Nieuw Statendam. I had looked forward to meeting him during our adventure and it will just have to wait for another sailing. However, he sure makes me laugh. Hard. And that is such a tonic right now.

On a more serious note, this 'adventure' has us questioning whether we should reconsider our Buenos Aires to FLL escapade in 2024. If a short medevac from the Caribbean has had such effects on us, what if something happened in SA? The distance, the language & cultural issues could loom large indeed. And there is that pesky detail that we are not getting any younger.

However, I do want to stress that the care we received on the Nieuw Statendam was absolutely top notch. The professionals are compassionate but extremely knowledgeable. The scope of equipment and facilities in the Medical Unit are really something. All the same, if possible, I hope not to revisit that area in the near future, thank you.

I am starting to deal with the insurance paperwork. Not surprisingly, the only documentation I need is in HAL's hands. Yesterday, I spent 90 minutes on hold attempting to connect with Guest Relations without success. I did send an email and received an autoreply. Sigh.

Thank you all for such lovely notes of support and caring. David and I look forward to returning to 'normal' soon. And I hope to be more fun, and way less whingey. Cheers,

-Cat (& David too!!)

Great to hear you are doing better. Also sorry did not get a chance to meet. Someone told me that laughter was the best medicine so I will try my best to continue; just let me know when something sounds a little stupid, off the wall, or just, are you kidding me? 🥸

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

8 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you so much everyone!  I have passed along all the greetings and DH says Thank You.

We won't be doing any celebrating -- yet. I'll urge him to pick up a piece of cake at the bakery, he deserves that.  He's been an angel taking care of me through this horrible flu.  I mentioned before that we planned a surprise birthday party for TODAY.  We're even flying DH's sister here from Savannah.  She has never been very far west at all.  Anyway, the family has rearranged her flights and now we'll have the party on January 7 when I'm more up to it.  He now knows there will be a party, but not that his sister is coming.  It is his 75th after all.  

I turned the corner 2 days ago, so finally after 9 days, when my fever finally went down to normal.  Now it's just a matter of getting my appetite back (last night I ate a whole salad, the most I've eaten all through this) and getting over this fatigue.  I know I haven't been this sick since the early '70's when DH and I both had the Hong Kong flu.  And I was 50 years younger.

Again, thank you all for the birthday wishes for DH and better health wishes for me.  All very much appreciated!

Oh I  am so sorry to hear this but I am so happy you are finally on the road to recovery!  
please wish Henry Happy Birthday! 

@Ichiban Nekko  I was also very sorry to hear of your illness,  glad you and your DH have also turned the corner.

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

Army Navy game today...What an event!  Usually a lopsided game but seeing all the cadets in their winter dress and the pageantry was a once in a lifetime experience for a football lover. 

I also love the pageantry of this game. The cadets in their winter dress make my heart sing (and, swoon a bit, too...). And, today's game going into two OTs became a historic nail biter!

• Like 7

A long time ago I was involved in raising funds to convert a small college library from Dewey Decimal to Library of Congress numbers. I was amused to learn that the main tools required were a computer terminal (for access to OCLC, since almost every book would already be listed there) and an electric eraser.

Now I maintain a synagogue library where some of the volunteers would like to implement the Dewey Decimal System, not that they plan to do the work themselves or even know how. In face, Dewey isn't a good system for a very specialized library, because most of the books have the same general subject and too many receive the same call numbers. There is an adaptation of Dewey for Jewish libraries that provides more granularity, and I have worked with a trained librarian to implement it, but it's more complicated than we need or could cope with.

Chili, any kind, wold be OK with me, but what I had tonight was the same turkey-veg casserole as last night.

I've made a hotel reservation in Arlington, Virginia, for part of the week after Christmas in the hope of seeing the current exhibitions at the National Gallery. It can be cancelled up through Christmas Day if the weather forecast is unfavorable.

1876061800_Bellsonbob.jpg.05b767ba4bb0c49f9b79b5f9eacdc7de.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

Finally able  to return to the "Daily" on this Sunday evening.  'Thanks for all the daily information, and thanks to  @richwmn  Rich for mentioning a New Zealand wine, had not previously heard of it.

@kazu  sending good luck to you for safe, trouble free travelling.

Pleased to read of dailyites reovering from illnesses.

Best wishes to all those on the  @rafinmd  Roy's Care List

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

-Cat (& David too!!)

I'm happy to hear you are both recovering Cat and David.

Best wishes for a full recovery.

Graham.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

@Ichiban Nekko Glad to hear you both are feeling better. If you have not been there, one more thing to consider if your SA trip goes south first (around the horn) before heading north to FLL: the southern part of SA, including the inside passage in Chile, is pretty remote and barren for several days.

@USN59-79 Not trying to be bossy, and agreeing with Kazu, if you are able to have pressure on your affected foot, could you drive in a sandal or stocking foot? 
I’m currently in a boot also ( have 1 more week of a month sentence) and the casting tech told me to take it off to drive.

I’m small enough, and so is my car, that I can’t even fit in with the boot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1