Lobster in MDR now extra cost?

dreamer321

On 1/3/2023 at 10:08 PM, mahdnc said:

Ugh. It's starting to get depressing from reading this forum.

On 1/3/2023 at 10:36 PM, dlh015 said:

Agree. I was thinking the same about an hour ago...

Generally, I'm an optimist...but the individual changes taken as a whole are indeed saddening...

I guess I'll make my own assessment starting 10 days from now...

I am cruising 02/03 after 3 years away from cruising and now I have so many negative feelings about it.  All I have read recently is how the OVC no longer has a full dinner, MDR has made big cuts, no more beach bags etc... 😞

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, basil1 said:

I am cruising 02/03 after 3 years away from cruising and now I have so many negative feelings about it.  All I have read recently is how the OVC no longer has a full dinner, MDR has made big cuts, no more beach bags etc... 😞

There were bags in our concierge cabin in December, albeit different ones than we'd received previously. They were heavy canvas with no zipper on top (more like a tote) and a matching zippered pouch inside.

• Like 1

Just now, Luvcrusn said:

There were bags in our concierge cabin in December, albeit different ones than we'd received previously. They were heavy canvas with no zipper on top (more like a tote) and a matching zippered pouch inside.

They usually do give nicer bags when in concierge, or at least used to. We will be in a SV so I guess we'll find out. 

On 1/4/2023 at 2:12 AM, Cap_D said:

Reference: 4oz lobster tail is $12.49 at Whole Foods.  And, cheaper frozen lobster tail can last about 6 months in a commercial freezer.  

Now take on a ship and prepare it..hint, it cost more that way. 

4 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

We received the same style on our Summit September cruise in a standard balcony stateroom.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 2:12 AM, Cap_D said:

Reference: 4oz lobster tail is $12.49 at Whole Foods.  And, cheaper frozen lobster tail can last about 6 months in a commercial freezer.  

Ok but that is real cold water lobster.  On ships in the MDR you get the Spiny or Caribbean lobster which is actually a large crawfish- not even in the lobster family.  So I will not pay an upcharge for that!

Edited by TeeRick

2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Ok but that is real cold water lobster.  On ships in the MDR you get the Spiny or Caribbean lobster which is actually a large crawfish- not even in the lobster family.  So I will not pay an upcharge for that!

RCI charges the same amount of $16.99 for additional tails but switched from Spiny to Maine so it is possible X followed RCI.  We don't yet have (or at least I haven't seen) any lobster datapoints for 2023.  Also possible each ship exhausts their old Spiny lobster stock before switching to Maine

• Like 2

I don't even eat lobster, but the nickel and dime charges being added here to me are nothing short of tacky.  (and to charge that much - what the heck?!!?)  Of the mainline cruise lines, Celebrity was always a step above.   You always got a lot of special little extra touches with Celebrity which made it my cruise line of choice for close to 70 cruises.  Now I'm starting to feel like I'm boarding a Kmart blue light special (yes, I'm dating my self LOL).  

I understand everything costs more now.  I understand they need to recoup their Covid losses.  But doing it this way just cheapens the brand IMHO.  They are already charging considerably higher prices.  But I honestly would prefer if they just upped everyone's cost $100 and stopped this pay extra, pay extra, pay extra nonsense.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Agreed.  Lobster has been at relatively low prices, and dining in general is the one place where the brand actually connects with the engaged customer that form opinions.  On top of that it's unclear that any ship dining room lobster can compare to a chain US steak or seafood restaurant, where one expects to pay, or a local grocery store and home prep.   

(Celebrity food is also purchased in bulk, ahead of time, sometimes from non US ports, and bought for significantly less than retail or even small restaurants.)

Also tacky, charging guests for certain frozen dairy items promoted as gelato stored at the same temp and case as the "included" so called ice cream in the apparently scaled back Oceanview Cafe on E-Class and presumably somewhere on other ships.  

If Celebrity wants to charge they should be transparent about all charges and menu items pre-purchase, and make the info easy to find, or make cruises refundable bookings with updated info provided before final payment. Handing over dollars to be nickle and dimed seems inconsistent with the experience, and trust is eroding. 

Between the fake weekly sales, pricing with variable services that change at a whim, and so on, why trust Celebrity or any cruise line with thousands of dollars in advance and without knowing what will be provided in return?

Celebrity should clarify the situation.  Anyone from Celebrity reading? 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I don't even eat lobster, but the nickel and dime charges being added here to me are nothing short of tacky.  (and to charge that much - what the heck?!!?)  Of the mainline cruise lines, Celebrity was always a step above.   You always got a lot of special little extra touches with Celebrity which made it my cruise line of choice for close to 70 cruises.  Now I'm starting to feel like I'm boarding a Kmart blue light special (yes, I'm dating my self LOL).  

I understand everything costs more now.  I understand they need to recoup their Covid losses.  But doing it this way just cheapens the brand IMHO.  They are already charging considerably higher prices.  But I honestly would prefer if they just upped everyone's cost $100 and stopped this pay extra, pay extra, pay extra nonsense.  

My next cruise on Jan 21 will be the last of my FCC's used.  After that I have very little loyalty to Celebrity (or RCCL for that matter) with all of these changes, charges and less than required staff and service in some areas.  Even though we are E+ and D+ we are far away from Zenith or Pinnacle. And we generally sail suites which minimize those benefits anyway.  We will look for suites on other lines now and get our best value going forward.  I know many of you came to this conclusion already.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 9:32 AM, mahdnc said:

During the last evening chic night of our Constellation TA cruise in November, our MDR waiter brought an extra lobster tail for everyone at our table that ordered a lobster tail.  None of us asked for it (in fact I forgot to ask because I was out of practice from not having cruised since the start of the pandemic), but we gladly accepted it.  It was a pleasant surprise and I presumed it to be a shrewd move by our experienced waiter since we all would be receiving our cruise surveys in a couple of days.  I guess I won't be seeing that anymore.

We were on the Equunox in June and those who ordered lobster in the MDR received 2 right of the bat, same with shrimp cocktail, 2 orders were presented by the waiter. We sailed again on the Equinox in August and the Intrepid in October and both of those sailings only one lobster was presented but we were asked during the meal if we would like another order. To tell the truth I don't care if I ever eat lobster again and certainly would not pay an upcharge for it even if liked it.

23 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

They should make the windows on Infinite Verandas be coin operated. 

39 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Be careful what you wish for.

Charging for an open IV window allows Celebrity the option of waiving the charge and marketing it as "Free Air".

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 12:16 PM, basil1 said:

I say just go into it with an open mind and eyes wide.  Accept there may be stuff you miss but focus on what is there that you have always enjoyed.  At least you’ll be on vacation, can see if it’s still worth it in the future and be able to know you have experienced it and can now make your own informed decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, gerelmx said:

Now the Sea food tower at the porch it’s not included in the cover

0A129B7B-CFF5-40F3-8591-27799F3A3FC1.thumb.png.048e7f35b95f9543f08c8aa407b6cb66.png

There has always been a charge for the tower, last year it was only $15 on the Edge, so it has gone up to $17.70

• Thanks 1

I too do not like the changes in many of the small and special things that set the tone of a great cruise.  I also know that you can get back to the place, but not the time, so I enjoy my memories.

I will though be concerned if they want to start charging for access to sunshine, caribbean breezes, wake viewing, salt air and a number of other things.

We do not sail as often now due to the cost and as I like to state it, the value proposition is not as good as before IMHO.  Still want/like to sail and enjoy the free "included" stuff.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MamaToMany said:

Interestingly, the lobster has completely disappeared off all of the menus for both of my Apex sailings on 1/14 and 1/21. It was there just a couple of days ago. Instead of the upcharge for extra, they just eliminated it completely?

It's still on the day 6 menu of the Apex 1/7 sailing (with no mention of uncharge) which would have more accurate menus than later sailings.  I have never found menus to be very accurate until about the day or two before embarkation day (and have even seen changes after that point).  I understand on embarkation night they do a final push of updates to the app.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, prmssk said:

It's still on the day 6 menu of the Apex 1/7 sailing (with no mention of uncharge) which would have more accurate menus than later sailings.  I have never found menus to be very accurate until about the day or two before embarkation day (and have even seen changes after that point).  I understand on embarkation night they do a final push of updates to the app.

Yes. I somehow missed it. My brain remembered it being near the bottom of the entrees section, and that is where I was  looking. It’s interesting that there is no mention of an up charge yet, isn’t it?

On 1/3/2023 at 10:03 PM, jelayne said:

I too find the changes disheartening.  So far the only change that affects us is the increase in the beverage package as that impacts the upgrade price.

We don’t order from Room Service, almost never ( like 3x in 38 cruises) eat dinner in the OV and don’t eat lobster.  
So while the changes don’t really impact us the next one could.

To end the evening on a brighter note I decided to book our flights to Rome for our B2B in October. Now talk about depressing,  one way Premium Economy ( not Business) is ranging from $1900 -$4500 per person.  

I think I need another glass of wine😉

Why you're mentioning room service? Don't tell me they are now charging for that too...