True or False? Comments Welcome.

manmachine

We have sailed Celebrity for 30 years over 160 times !!!

And yes I cruise for the food.

Unfortunately the changes this month on Edge class ship have caused me to no longer be interested in sailing on Celebrity. Maybe that was their goal ???

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I would say that the food is a higher priority.  In general it is the total experience,  but I do not eat at Sizzler on vacation.

Celebrity received the 2019 Cruiser's Award for food,  but their current offerings are a bit of a disappointment.

• Like 6

Mostly true. Service and overall ship is above food to me. The removing of many steak dishes was not a big thing for me as I have switched more to vegetarian style food.   Plus I by steaks from a farm right near me that I would put against most land based steak houses.  

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, TommyD3 said:

We have sailed Celebrity for 30 years over 160 times !!!

And yes I cruise for the food.

Unfortunately the changes this month on Edge class ship have caused me to no longer be interested in sailing on Celebrity. Maybe that was their goal ???

I doubt you were in a suite, outdoor retreat is great , I thought entertainment was better than the other classes , but some of the food was not up to par.

I cruise more for the entertainment, stoped doing buffet and mdr along time ago. Do suite restaurants or specialty. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Food plays a role in why I cruise, but it's not the only reason we do so. For example, we don't do specialty dining. The food onboard is much better what we can put together at home, so we don't complain or get too picky. We were definitely less impressed- but not dissapointed- on our last sailing so I can see why some more food oriented people are groaning about food quality.

• Like 2

True at a certain level of food quality. (Poor food is not acceptable).  I have never experienced unacceptable food on a cruise ship.  (Including US based river cruises).

I personally cannot understanding why someone that would cruise for the food would cruise on Celebrity or Princess,  Oceania and Regent have much better food.  I cruise mostly on Celebrity first and Princess (when there is a unique itinerary).  

I was recently surprised on how much Princess’s food has improved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We love our on ship dining, particularly the speciality restaurants which we mainly dine in. However, we can dine  better food wise on a land based holiday with access to real fresh fish and local specialties.

’Ambiance’ of the full dining experience, however, has to be taken into account. Dining is not just about the food, it is about everything from pre dinner drinks to post dinner liqueurs. This is what makes dining on a ship so special….

You choose from one of many options for your pre dinner drink…Perhaps the sunset bar if it isn’t too breezy, the Martini bar to make new friends, the World bar to try something different, your balcony sipping a drink watching the ship leave the port.

Then there is the choice of restaurants, Murano for a touch of class, Tuscan for the wonderful views, Lawn Grill for a family BBQ relaxed atmosphere with the smell and sounds of the sea….(yes, we cruise mainly S class).

Then post dinner…All the bar choices still available but how magical is it to sip a cognac or a Baileys on your own balcony. Feet up reminiscing about the day…No need for anyone to drive or to get a taxi…

So although I have experienced better food in land restaurants if I were to list my top ten dining experiences most of them would be on a cruise…

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I would say that the food is a higher priority.  In general it is the total experience,  but I do not eat at Sizzler on vacation.

Celebrity received the 2019 Cruiser's Award for food,  but their current offerings are a bit of a disappointment.

With Sizzler, I believe many of us would PREFER Sizzler...Anthony Bourdain enjoyed it:

image.thumb.png.2a4d3600861655791bbc8b489e7322bc.png

With the Cruise Award for food, I believe it won the "large ship" category only facing off against Carnival, RCI and Princess.  Regardless, right now Carnival's newest ships have some great food choices with Guys burgers, guys BBQ, Shaqs big chicken, ChiBang, Italian and let's not forget their infamous chocolates melting cake; all of which are complimentary

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Like 3

False - while the food is not the main reason we cruise Celebrity; Food is always is a major element in any trip we take.  Especially if I am locked into a location for 5+ days,  poor food can ruin the entire trip for me.  

In fact, while booking our most recent cruise; we looked very hard at Virgin Voyages simply because everyone raves about the food there even if the rest of the experience isn't our cup of tea.  And we will most likely try a 4 day cruise on VV later this year to give it a whirl.

• Like 2