The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday February 17th, 2023

cat shepard

Today is Random Acts of Kindness Day, National Caregivers Day, and National Public Science Day

Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.--Mother Teresa

Meal Suggestion for today - Ultimate Vegetarian Italian Sub
Drink of the Day - Shining Light Spice
Wine of the Day - Hans Herzog Estate Marlborough Spirit of Marlborough 2016
Destination of the Day - Scrabster, Scotland

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 2-18

Koningsdam

Ensenada, Baja California Mexico 14:00 - 22:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 2-19

Nieuw Statendam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 07:00 - 15:00

Oosterdam

Ushuaia, Argentina 09:00 - 15:30

Rotterdam

Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos 10:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Santos, Sao Paulo, Brazil 08:00 - 19:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 2-18

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Dunedin, Port Chalmers, New Zealand 08:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

Probolinggo, Java Indonesia 08:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Fremantle, Perth, Western Australia eta 2-21

A947FE46-CD30-4426-8E4D-D55A4E7ED23C.thumb.jpeg.2775e41eb49f0eca0ff09dd59e5b53ee.jpeg

C1A2E228-CCCC-41BB-86F5-47109D61E036.thumb.jpeg.4982b8201f9c5929c041a3e902c13342.jpeg

Ann for Paul, Sandi, Roy & Rich - our Editor-in-Chief!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 13

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

We had snow overnight, the plows have already been out.  I think we'll have to get the snowblower and shovels out later.  We ran errands yesterday, so don't have to go out today.  🙂

Random acts of kindness should be everyday.  I did my good deed yesterday by helping a lady put a big bag of flour in her grocery cart - I hope someone helps her when she gets home.  A big salute to caregivers.  It's important to keep up with science advancements and research.

Love the quote. 

I'll pass on the meal, not sure about the drink but hope the wine is tasty.

I haven't been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Friday.

Stay safe.

• Like 32

Shining Light Spice Cocktail:

Ingredients:
1 Part Basil Hayden's Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
1 Part Amaro Montenegro Liqueur Italia
0.5 Part Licor 43
0.5 Part Lemon Juice
0.5 Part Grapefruit Juice
1 Lemon Wedge
Directions:
Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake vigorously and strain into a chilled coupe. Garnish with a fresh lemon wedge.

Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 7.03.52 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 11

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  The day is starting out warm, in the 50’s, but a cold front will come through and cool things down.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds like a salad in a roll, I’ll take my subs with meat please. I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.f95c3013d555a54b50eaa4703b7ebd97.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

Thank you Rich for making it all happen! Vanessa, thank you for taking care of our celebrations & cares. 

I have an early annual appointment with my audiologist, then if the planets & stars align - I will make my gym class. Then Bindi walks, more yard work and cruise browsing will round out my day.

6AC67E36-B4C7-45BF-9063-ACF7CFA1BF49.jpeg.76cff4d3814963264355ac3abe63a3da.jpeg

4C5C5F3B-AA18-4717-B389-D519C4CD0FFE.jpeg.a0b03e2520b3705da4e54cfc900cc569.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Hans Herzog Estate Marlborough Spirit of Marlborough 2016

This New Zealand red blend is a bit elusive, but I would love to try it. A blend of equal parts Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon with excellent critic and consumer ratings might be worth the search. I found a few online distributors with prices starting at $58.00.

Distributor notes 

This noble blend shows off with aromas of juicy dark plums, black fruits and berries. Subtle spices, herbs and dark chocolate add to the complexity. Concentration and opulence aplenty followed by a sensuous, lingering long finish. Enjoy this stately flagship wine at its full potential alike a “Grand Cru” Pomerol with many years of bottle aging.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 7

Good morning everyone, another mild but rainy day in store.  I like all of the days today, especially random acts of kindness day.  A great lesson in Mother Theresa’s quote.  I like a good Italian sub from time to time so we’ll see once the recipes are published.  The drink sounds tasty but something I wouldn’t make at home.  Haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to all of you celebrating happy events!

• Like 29

Today’s care list:

Roy slowly improving; awaiting test results

Tupper10 with back pain despite epidural

42,000+ deaths after Turkish & Syrian earthquakes

New Zealand enduring cyclone and flooding

Citizens of Ukraine

From the Rotation:

Tana with pulmonary issues

Cruising sister recovering from hand surgery, cast rubbing incision

Vict0riann’s DH Pat needing surgery next month

Scrapnana undergoing chemotherapy

Celebrations and Shout outs:

Cat Shepherd’s great job in starting the Fleet Report/Daily every day

USN59-79’s good medical reports

Seasick Sailor visiting family in San Diego

Kochleffel feeling better

Marshhawk’s friend Fern no longer in a coma

1 day for Seasick Sailor (Koningsdam 2/18 to 3/25)

1 day for 57redbird (Koningsdam 2/18 to 3/25)
StLouisCruisers (Sky Princess to 2/18), Cruzin Terri (Oceania Sirena to 2/19), Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to 4/6), Lindaler and Ottahand7 (Volendam to 3/18), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12) at sea

• Like 24
  • Thanks 11

Good afternoon.

It is very windy today but a mild 54°F.

Thank you Ann @cat shepardfor supplying today's daily reports.

3 good days today and an excellent Quote.

Today's food sounds good as does the Marlborough wine.

Good wishes to everyone who is unwell.

I hope everyone has a great day and lovely weekend.

Graham.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good Friday morning from Santos Brazil.  I don't know what we are doing but while waiting I am enjoying our balcony.  It will be in the 90s today.  

Thank you for the Fleet Report Ann and for the tasty looking cocktail.  Prayers for all on our Care list and for the people of Ukraine.  I hope they can secure more ammo. 

There is still spotty Covid cases on the ship. I ran into a hallway neighbor and told him I missed seeing his wife.  He said he had Covid then she tested positive so she remained in isolation until she clears. I saw her last night and she said she had just had the sniffles. Very sad they missed 2 stops in Argentina and 2 in Uruguay some of the best on the trip. There has been no testing since we neared Panama.  

A few photos from yesterday. Have a wonderful day! Nancy 

IMG_20230216_191822123.jpg

IMG_20230216_183249206_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230216_174241246.jpg

IMG_20230216_174259152.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
Forgot photos
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 5

6 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Good Friday morning from Santos Brazil.  I don't know what we are doing but while waiting I am enjoying our balcony.  It will be in the 90s today.  

Thank you for the Fleet Report Ann and for the tasty looking cocktail.  Prayers for all on our Care list and for the people of Ukraine.  I hope they can secure more ammo. 

There is still spotty Covid cases on the ship. I ran into a hallway neighbor and told him I missed seeing his wife.  He said he had Covid then she tested positive so she remained in isolation until she clears. I saw her last night and she said she had just had the sniffles. Very sad they missed 2 stops in Argentina and 2 in Uruguay some of the best on the trip. There has been no testing since we neared Panama.  

A few photos from yesterday. Have a wonderful day! Nancy 

IMG_20230216_191822123.jpg

IMG_20230216_183249206_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230216_174241246.jpg

IMG_20230216_174259152.jpg

Lovely photos Nancy.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good Friday Morning Dailyites!  Computer says rain coming......its been raining for hours... maybe it should say rain coming down.  Temperatures will be dropping, all day down into the 20's tonight.

I was supposed to go the the doctors office for blood work this morning.  My stomach had other ideas. I called and cancelled, and told DH to turn off the alarm, we aint going no where.  He has not turned off the alarm, but I am seriously thinking about going back to bed.  Too many long days, and working late was bound to catch up with me one day, and I guess today was the day....and the spicy hummus I ate during the zoom meeting.

I need a vacation....

il_fullxfull.726603100_evuf.jpg?version=0

• Like 31

Good morning everyone!

It is a cold, snowy morning here in mid-Michigan.  The plow guy hasn't been here yet and I didn't get the trash out so I guess it will wait until next week.  Thank goodness it is cold out!  The only thing on my agenda today is exercise class at 11:00.  I signed up for the later class to give the city time to clear the roads and my plow guy time to show up here.  

I think I agree with @Crazy For Cats Jake about today's meal sounding like salad in a bun.  Some of them sound like good salads, but I'd leave off the bun.  I like the artichokes in this first one.  I often put them in salads.  https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/252443/vegetarian-italian-hoagies/#nutrition

vegetarianitaliansub1.jpg.81445a63bd1b4fdb49e5b0b62cb14048.jpg

This next one has roasted eggplant in it and it reminds me of a sandwich I had in Florence, Italy.  I bought it at a corner market and sat on the curb to eat it.  It was so good I would have bought a second one but they were all out.  https://scrummylane.com/roasted-eggplant-pesto-bocconcini-panini/

vegetarianitaliansub2.thumb.jpg.6ebe62eccae79b27c9164151099bb20e.jpg

This last one sounds interesting with the olive mixture, roasted peppers, roasted eggplant, etc.  

https://vanillaandbean.com/italian-pressed-sandwich/

vegetarianitaliansub3.thumb.jpg.2e36870adef1206e315d8cad7dad3ad5.jpg

I'm not sure these are all vegetarian Italian subs, but the last two look like very tasty sandwiches.  

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9

Thanks for our TGIF Daily, Ann

Great collection of days!  Acts of kindness and celebrating caregivers should be done every day.  Love the quote - so true!

I’m watching the weather like a hawk trying to figure out if I can get to my appointment at the bank before the ice starts coming down or not.  Otherwise, it will be by phone but there was other stuff I really needed to do there so 🤞 

65221FC6-C41A-41AA-934C-52A072855D7D.jpeg.1d5718fc24bed0c9c9d0a4e8d4e398a1.jpeg

Once it starts it will be one massive mess. Ugh 😩 I guess that’s what we get for escaping the Nor ‘Easter.

A8740D40-FEBA-4B2F-8C44-9B8C392817AB.jpeg.968238c7087a2055c837b4c6fc3c800c.jpeg

A very touching tribute from the Turkey soccer team to all of the rescue workers and countries - even the rescue dog that died in it’s attempt to save others. ♥️ 

20 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

He has not turned off the alarm, but I am seriously thinking about going back to bed. 

I think that is a very good idea.  

A280DE0A-C8FB-4770-B469-636F7211498A.thumb.jpeg.d1e747f8790142745a0e20491f157a11.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Vanessa’s Care list, the people of Ukraine, New Zealand & earthquake victims and those that need them.  And a toast 🥂 to those on the Celebratory list!

E50947B2-B5E1-46F3-A1B3-B8C5CFE5C7BB.jpeg.5423333ee44a2ac13b286f55c9a31c93.jpeg

Have a great Friday everyone!!!!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 15

Good morning everyone. Love all the days and today’s quote. I’ve  

been preoccupied visiting doctors for my 6 month checkups and everything has checked out ok. I now have a date, March 23 for my cateract surgery. 
Today is gloomy and supposed to rain but so far no downpour.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 27

Thanks for the Fleet update and general info.

It’s public science day. Let me make this public. All I can say is that based on a systematic and methodology research I have determined that those balloons shot down by the government were alien spacecraft after downing a twelve pack of Bud. 😀. Note the science included two types of downing.

• Like 8
  • Haha 16

Good morning and happy Friday.  Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Very rainy today and not sure I will get my walking in.  Have worked myself up to 3 miles per day and don’t want to stop.

Really have to start the packing process for next weeks trip on Thursday.  Enchantment of the Seas with DH, sister Karen and friend Karen.  I will bring up DH’s suitcase from the basement.  It is already filled with cruise clothes that he just stores there.  He is no fuss so packing should be easy.  Me — I am another story.

Taking former cleaning lady to lunch today.  She was with me for over 40 years and I haven’t seen her since she stopped working last year.

Best wishes and prayers for all in need.  Hoping that Roy gets good results from his tests.  Katherine 

• Like 29

Good morning from the lovely Oceania Sirena.

This is the first of two sea days before we arrive in Miami on Sunday.

I don’t have much planned for the next two days except get all the rest I can because when I get home we will will be doing the final work to put our house back together again.

I am promised photos today from the contractor so I am eagerly awaiting them.

Thank you to Ann @cat shepard for the Daily and Fleet Report.  Appreciate you willingness to step in and take the helm.

Thank you to Vanessa @JazzyV for the cares and celebration lists. Prayers for all who need our prayers.  

Not much to report today except that the menus have their folders again and the GI issue seems under control.  Thank God.

Hope everyone has a good day and God Bless,

Terri

• Like 27

Good morning. It is raining and 50 degrees. I have a pot of soup on the stove and it smells  really good if I say so myself.

I will salute the days and like the quote.I doubt my half carnivore side of the group would like the subs but I would.Tonight we are making a chicken dish for some an a quiche for others.

We stopped at Scabster on a British  Isles cruise.My DB and I went on a vertical  hike that was  just beautiful. We had to go down of course to return and held onto each other like two kids and laughed the whole way.I am sure he took pictures.I did not.

We have a huge gas line replacement  project going on in the neighborhood. There are trenches abd big holes everywhere. This morning  a Porta potty showed up on the corner.I guess it will take a while.

20230216_094008.jpg

• Like 30

It’s 62 out and will get cooler as the day progresses. So far no severe weather and no rain. Radar shows slight possibility in next hour. 
Watched the Daytona races last night then proceeded to sleep in recliner to 2:00 AM. It’s good to be back and enjoying my recliner. Wish I could take it with me on World Cruise!

Have an appointment at CVS to get a pneumonia shot this morning  and pick up our free Covid test kits. As mentioned yesterday Medicare will stop paying for test kits in early April. I had ordered some online and received them but their expiration dates were only good for a month!

Thank you Ann for starting the Daily and all who contribute. Jacqui you had some great MeMe’s this morning. Thanks.

Let’s finish the week out with a good deed!

image.thumb.jpeg.63116e6ce49c1170742c6172737623d7.jpegimage.jpeg.92b3f95bf42f55a8f7d561b0fe05dc1f.jpegimage.jpeg.be8af479cbeba33cc0e79bfe0720f0a6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.84ad8baecd8c4985895adc5dd9ba0807.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Haha 16

Good morning,

Thanks to all that contribute to the Daily, I know it is a lot of work and appreciated by all.  I love the quote and the random act of kindness and caregiver day.  I am with @dfishmy garbage will wait another week. Not worth the risk of falling again. 

@aliaschiefi would not worry about expiration dates. Check with the manufacturer most have been given extended dates. Once the ice melts I will be heading to the pharmacy myself for another set of 8.  I used some after my cruise before my surgery to make sure I was not going into surgery sick with something more than a mild runny nose. 

Fingers crossed roads are clear and the new cast this afternoon will be ok. It could be a long weekend if not. 

• Like 30

I had a negative antigen test this morning!  I'd like to go to CVS-in-Target, but the weather this morning isn't nice and it's predicted to improve this afternoon.

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Today’s meal suggestion sounds like a salad in a roll, I’ll take my subs with meat please.

Which didn't sound bad to me, but probably wouldn't be my first choice, either. Sort of a handheld panzanella? Pass on the cocktail. My first thought about Scrabster--I may not be completely awake--was that a scrabster would be a person who dealt in scrabs, and that scrab would be to crab as scrod is to cod.

I've completed two more modules in the asynchronous online course, and I think there is only one more. It's a course on psychological first aid, given by a professor at Johns Hopkins, that was developed for first responders but the current thinking is that in a disaster, first responders are already busy, so there needs to be a backup corp of people living in or near the region. PFA is not considered therapy and the professor keeps warning therapists, if any take the course, not to go straight into therapy mode.

27 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

All I can say is that based on a systematic and methodology research I have determined that those balloons shot down by the government were alien spacecraft after downing a twelve pack of Bud. 😀. Note the science included two types of downing.

One of my worries is that others who down a twelve-pack of Bud might feel obligated to shoot at anything and everything that they see in the sky. They're too high to hit  even without the 12-pack, but bullets shot into the air come down somewhere at high speeds. (OTOH, I also think of the episode of Harry's Law in which Harry shot down a drone.)

cowovermoon.jpg.c1dbeb99e89596b2711d2733f52e0ff9.jpg

• Like 29
  • Haha 3