Beyond- still beyond creaking and clicking

Dylan0474mac

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2023 at 9:05 PM, Cap_D said:

Has anyone seen reports of noise on Ascent?  I have not, but only been reading the reports on this site, and not Facebook or other places.  

There are many complaints coming from Ascent and just like Beyond guest services is shocked to hear it. They blame it on it being a new ship. There are many posts about guests not sleeping for the last 3 days.  I just canceled my upcoming trip because I am convinced they will not fix the situation.  Look at Beyond as the issue still exists today.

3 minutes ago, SI Cruiser said:

There are many complaints coming from Ascent and just like Beyond guest services is shocked to hear it. They blame it on it being a new ship. There are many posts about guests not sleeping for the last 3 days.  I just canceled my upcoming trip because I am convinced they will not fix the situation.  Look at Beyond as the issue still exists today.

Is there a link to all these complaints? 🤔

25 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Is there a link to all these complaints? 🤔

I belong to a group called Celebrity Ascent on a social media site.  The posts are from the current sailing with over 100 rooms reporting issues.  Many posts include the room numbers and the number of nights people have not slept.  The noise comes from behind walls, in the ceiling with lots of banging.  Guest Services responses and failed attempts to rectify are also mentioned.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow.  RCL and Celebrity had plenty of time to address the noise issue.  All the LHB PR, Captains Club webinars, trivia with captain, a hip cruise director,  fake art by Peter Max, and a seafood extravaganza doesn't make up for noisy cabins. 

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2023 at 9:03 AM, SI Cruiser said:

I belong to a group called Celebrity Ascent on a social media site.  The posts are from the current sailing with over 100 rooms reporting issues.  Many posts include the room numbers and the number of nights people have not slept.  The noise comes from behind walls, in the ceiling with lots of banging.  Guest Services responses and failed attempts to rectify are also mentioned.

I will start  thread..pls ask those on your group to list  creaky cabins!.  We are past final payment for our AQ cabin.. hoping for the best!

Edited by hcat

On 12/23/2023 at 9:03 AM, SI Cruiser said:

Would you be able to share some of the AQ Class cabins that have been mentioned???   or a way others could find out?  ( many of us ONLY read and post on Cruise Critic). 

if not, we understand..but this has dampened pent up enthusiasm to say the least!

19 hours ago, hcat said:

Would you be able to share some of the AQ Class cabins that have been mentioned???   or a way others could find out?  ( many of us ONLY read and post on Cruise Critic). 

if not, we understand..but this has dampened pent up enthusiasm to say the least!

Don’t worry about something You no have no first hand knowledge about enjoy the anticipation which is half the fun of the cruise.   

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, smeck said:

Don’t worry about something You no have no first hand knowledge about enjoy the anticipation which is half the fun of the cruise.   

We were fortunate to have a room on Beyond that was very quiet.  However, that was not the case with many I spoke with.  I estimated that 8 out of 10 couples I spoke to had issues with the noise.  Most were on the Starboard side.  

On 4/17/2023 at 11:34 PM, Germancruiser said:

I have never been on any cruise, on board any shipe with whichever cruise line-  where I did not hear some creaking sounds- I rather like it- makes me feel I am on a board a ship.

I would recommend to stick with land based vacations if you don´t want to be disturbed by a noise every ship makes. I saw and head the videos - yes- but I really did not find it to unusual.

Just remember YOU ARE ON BOARD A SHIP- THAT THING MOVES- IT IS BOUND TO MAKE SOME NOISE- IT IS BOUND TO SHIFT NOW AND THEN!

Did you watch and listen video in post #47? The noise is not normal creaking. We were in 15-meter seas on an Eclipse Transatlantic in November 2014 and never heard any noises like that. It sounds like a machine gun.

Edited by Jazzbo
Meter, not foot

2 hours ago, Jazzbo said:

Did you watch and listen video in post #47? The noise is not normal creaking. We were in 15-meter seas on an Eclipse Transatlantic in November 2014 and never heard any noises like that. It sounds like a machine gun.

I did watch that. It was unbelievable. We will be in a ninth deck Sky Suite near the front stairs, this April on the Beyond. I’m not even looking up our cabin number now, because my positive thinking has us in a relatively quiet room, I hope I hope I hope! 🤞🤞🤞🤞

Just got off the Beyond. In every respect one of the very best of my 24 Celebrity cruises, except the nights when the sea was frisky and there was a very loud, repeated banging noise. I was in a solo infinite verandah on 6 on the starboard side .. Only happened in rough seas. Seemed to come from the area where the cabin adjoined the bathroom. Sleepless night.

I went to guest relations, and they indicated I was not alone in having this issue. They took a very full report....I even played them an audio of the noise,(attached) and to their credit I received several follow up calls.  As we then had smoother seas, I dont know if they really fixed the problem.

That banging was quite painful to hear. But thankfully only on the one rough night. By now, the Beyond has had so many sailings that they must know exactly which are the problem cabins. And have done all they can to fix them. My husband is convinced it’s a problem with how each cabin is pre fabricated and then attached between the hallways and hull. So the shipbuilder is the one at fault. 

Glad the rest of your cruise was great though. 

We were on the Beyond December 1st cruise in an IV cabin on Deck 8, and the creaking and popping noise was really loud. The noise came from the balcony and the walls all night everyday. First time we hardly got any sleep the entire cruise. Maintenance crews came twice but couldn't fix it. We've been cruising on different Celebrity ships and on other cruise lines since 2007 and have never heard noise like that. It sounds like Ascent has the same structural issues. We have two cruises booked on Ascent and are considering cancelling them. 😞

18 hours ago, Mariastreby said:

My husband is convinced it’s a problem with how each cabin is pre fabricated and then attached between the hallways and hull. So the shipbuilder is the one at fault. 

That’s my husband's (engineer) opinion as well.  Thus the poor guys sent to “fix it” for the unfortunate passengers know there is nothing they can do…

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mariastreby said:

My husband is convinced it’s a problem with how each cabin is pre fabricated and then attached between the hallways and hull. So the shipbuilder is the one at fault. 

3 hours ago, helen haywood said:

That’s my husband's (engineer) opinion as well.  Thus the poor guys sent to “fix it” for the unfortunate passengers know there is nothing they can do…

And I believe your husbands are correct.  Probably because Beyond and Ascent are a little wider than Edge and Apex, so the fabricated cabin is not a perfect fit.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Texed said:

And I believe your husbands are correct.  Probably because Beyond and Ascent are a little wider than Edge and Apex, so the fabricated cabin is not a perfect fit.  

And, as an engineer, who has worked on ships, and built ships, I would disagree.  The cabin "frames" are welded to the ship's structure.  Most of that creaking is caused by the non-structural panels (particularly the ceiling panels) moving against each other due to loose fastenings.  The ceiling panels overlap each other, with screws from one panel only binding the joint, and the other panel only held by pressure from the screwed panel.  Even the slightest looseness in these fasteners will allow the panels to work against each other.  To fix this, you need to start at one end of the cabin, and remove all the panels in turn, until you get to the squeaky one, and then reinstall everything.  This requires the cabin be taken out of service for a cruise.

The popping noise in the video, is most likely from the frame of the large "infinite" window, which is a large area (the window) to not be supported intermediately.  It can also be the piping above the cabin ceiling that is moving in it's supports.  This also requires taking down the cabin ceiling.

Loud banging, that shows up predominately in rough weather is caused by "storm valves", which are check valves that allow drainage from balcony or open deck areas to the sea, but prevents sea water coming back into the ship.  These valves have free swinging closing discs, and if the ship is rocking enough, they will clap closed with a metallic clanging.  Even though these valves are down below the waterline on the ship, the noise will carry quite a distance up to higher decks.

Also, I have experienced vibrations in areas of sister ships that vary widely between ships that are supposed to be "identical".  This is because shipbuilding is still more "art" than "science", and the harmonics of the hull structure (hence the amount of flexing and creaking) can vary from ship to ship merely because the hull plates or sections were welded together in different seasons resulting in different stresses in the steel.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

7 minutes ago, DingoMom said:

@chengkp75 Thank you. I always learn great things from your posts!

I heartily agree! All of those explanations sound perfectly reasonable and make a lot of sense. Unfortunately, it doesn’t help all the passengers who’ve paid a bundle for a cruise vacation where sleep is important.

I’d love to know what Celebrity corporate (or RCCL) are doing about these two ships? They’re probably waiting to see how many complaints come from passengers of the Ascent. But is the company doing anything about giving people some sort of cruise credit or partial refunds? Probably only to those passengers who have complained the loudest and longest. 

• Like 1