Beyond- still beyond creaking and clicking

Dylan0474mac

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Spyder2up said:

Terre what room # were you in on deck 12..we are in 12156 in May and are concerned about all the noise and creaking below the pool deck?

We were in 12164

A link to my Beyond review is in my signature below, just scroll down to where the links are.

Edited by Terre

On beyond at the moment in an infinite balcony on deck 7 starboard aft… it’s creaking a lot today as we have high winds and swell, didn’t notice it so much last night. So seems a bit weather dependent in our room. Wouldn’t put me off travelling on beyond again though.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

On Beyond now, will share room after cruise, but can confirm some popping, creaking, and air whistle with balcony door closed.  Not as annoying or loud as what has kept people up all night, but enough to notice in the room and in other places like elevator lobbies on various decks.  This is during the storms of Day 1 and 2, and now the sunny Day 3.  Did not notice on Apex or Edge during somewhat comparable conditions, deck position (within +/- 1 deck), time of year, and age of ships. 

Also noticed the so called mold unfresh smell while walking Deck 3 cabin hallway, and a few other places.  The same smell was observed on Apex and Edge in places during prior cruises.  

Edited by Cap_D

On 3/23/2024 at 11:03 PM, Al_W said:

On beyond at the moment in an infinite balcony on deck 7 starboard aft… it’s creaking a lot today as we have high winds and swell, didn’t notice it so much last night. So seems a bit weather dependent in our room. Wouldn’t put me off travelling on beyond again though.  

Was really bad last night and didn’t feel at all rough. Woke me up at 4.30 it was so loud, and I’m an heavy sleeper… luckily I was able to find my ear plugs I had packed just in case we were in one of the impacted rooms. 

On 2/21/2023 at 2:15 PM, mljatsea said:

Oh no, we're in 7175 for the fall TA and that sounds too close for comfort.

We just got off Beyond this past Friday, Cabin 7199.  No problems with noise, and I'm a light sleeper.

3 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

We just got off Beyond this past Friday, Cabin 7199.  No problems with noise, and I'm a light sleeper.

Does seem very random, we are on the same floor but opposite side and nearer the back. I’m wondering whether to go to guest services or just put up and wear my earplugs each night. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Al_W said:

Does seem very random, we are on the same floor but opposite side and nearer the back. I’m wondering whether to go to guest services or just put up and wear my earplugs each night. 

I'm sorry you are in a noisy cabin.😔  You've got nothing to lose by going to Guest Services. They all are very nice there.  Good luck;  I hope it will get better for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Luckynana said:

I'm sorry you are in a noisy cabin.😔  You've got nothing to lose by going to Guest Services. They all are very nice there.  Good luck;  I hope it will get better for you.

Go to guest services.  On our December cruise we read that a lady complained and got moved plus a future cruises credit.  Someone else said they fixed his cabin from creaking

We didn't complain but should have. 

• Like 2

Hard to imagine this issue is not addressed  head on by mgmnt at Q and A sessions or even by Captains on Board the affected ships.,..Design or assembly flaws... ?

Maybe they need to take portions of  the ship apart and put it back together if this is possible...Wonder if ships have warranties?  Or if claims have been filed by the cruise line against who they believe is at fault .....?

54 minutes ago, hcat said:

Hard to imagine this issue is not addressed  head on by mgmnt at Q and A sessions or even by Captains on Board the affected ships.,..Design or assembly flaws... ?

Maybe they need to take portions of  the ship apart and put it back together if this is possible...Wonder if ships have warranties?  Or if claims have been filed by the cruise line against who they believe is at fault .....?

It might be a sore subject for company and shipboard management.  Someone shared that they think the company deletes social media comments about thee issue. 

Also, it was shared that a Beyond striped officer recently shared the line that we've seen reported here before that there is a shipyard team investigating the issue to come up with a solution, and, when asked about the time it seems to be taking (about 2 years), they added that the time involved is due to the ship having a number of rooms.  The same person also said that the seas in the Caribbean can be generally rougher than the Med or the transatlantic when the ship has been in those locales, FWIW.  (Some commentary on here by cruisers conflict with this assessment). 

Having now heard some of the creaking and and clicking first hand, it would seem that various fittings in the outer layer of the wall panel seams is one of the culprits, the corners especially.  Also, the seams between exterior cabin windows and the wall panels seem to be a source.  Some versions of the noise is similar to the noise that elevator car panels make (usually the older ones).  The noise is also noticeable in some public areas like certain elevator lobbies, but is not coming from elevator cars or the shafts. 

Among various instances of none of this being all that explainable is how frequent the Captain uses a talking point about being involved in seeing the ship being built, sea trials, etc.  No one from the customer satisfaction or risk department must have QC's the ship or reviewed the results of the trials. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cap_D said:

It might be a sore subject for company and shipboard management.  Someone shared that they think the company deletes social media comments about thee issue. 

Also, it was shared that a Beyond striped officer recently shared the line that we've seen reported here before that there is a shipyard team investigating the issue to come up with a solution, and, when asked about the time it seems to be taking (about 2 years), they added that the time involved is due to the ship having a number of rooms.  The same person also said that the seas in the Caribbean can be generally rougher than the Med or the transatlantic when the ship has been in those locales, FWIW.  (Some commentary on here by cruisers conflict with this assessment). 

Having now heard some of the creaking and and clicking first hand, it would seem that various fittings in the outer layer of the wall panel seams is one of the culprits, the corners especially.  Also, the seams between exterior cabin windows and the wall panels seem to be a source.  Some versions of the noise is similar to the noise that elevator car panels make (usually the older ones).  The noise is also noticeable in some public areas like certain elevator lobbies, but is not coming from elevator cars or the shafts. 

Among various instances of none of this being all that explainable is how frequent the Captain uses a talking point about being involved in seeing the ship being built, sea trials, etc.  No one from the customer satisfaction or risk department must have QC's the ship or reviewed the results of the trials. 

Just adding another datapoint.  The roughest seas I've experienced were the Med, followed by the Pacific, both the US coast and cruising from Vancouver to Hawaii

image.thumb.png.7506b131c9840dda0dab0ab3c6711ac6.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Al_W said:

Definitely go to the hotel manager. You paid too much to put up with these intolerable conditions. We went to the Retreat Manager and glad we did.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Just adding another datapoint.  The roughest seas I've experienced were the Med, followed by the Pacific, both the US coast and cruising from Vancouver to Hawaii

two interesting posts.. from Cao n D and Nuts abt golf...thank you

we did hear that one of the creakier ships might stay on Carib itins to avoid rougher seas and going back and forth across the Atlantic 

We have been lucky so far..Hoping APEX will be quiet for our next E Class cruise.

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

We have been on older ships going to Bermuda and the Southern Caribbean, both of  which are in some very rough seas for two days going and coming back.  The only noise we heard in our cabins on those cruises was the hangers clanging in the closet.

This creaking and clicking in  our cabin on Beyond was all day and night only going to Eastern Caribbean,  no rough seas...it can't be blamed on rough seas.  If you pressed against the walls or ceiling, the creaking stopped in that spot.

Everyone we talked to n our December cruise who had the same problem were also in an Infinite Veranda.   We are going on Beyond again in May with a group of neighbors, but we have booked a Sunset Balcony.  I will let you know if there is any creaking in this cabin.

• Like 3

On 3/25/2024 at 10:02 PM, Cap_D said:

I have been on other ships much older in those rough seas with nothing more than the hangers clanging in the closet.  They can't blame this on rough seas!

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 8:30 AM, Terre said:

We are going on Beyond again in May with a group of neighbors, but we have booked a Sunset Balcony.  I will let you know if there is any creaking in this cabin.

Although after our experience in IV cabin 7161 on Beyond and experiencing the banging firsthand had me saying I’d never sail her again…we too and trying a Sunset Veranda in May and hoping for the best!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Terre said:

I have been on other ships much older in those rough seas with nothing more than the hangers clanging in the closet.  They can't blame this on rough seas!

Rough seas may not be the cause but may aggravate the defect.

Sorry to be paranoid but "X"  must know all about it by now and should be mapping out a remedial plan ....even if they have to take some cabin sections apart and rebuild.

Band aid approach is not working