Beyond- still beyond creaking and clicking

Dylan0474mac

Is there a list somewhere of cabins with this issue? Is it certain floors, certain cabin categories?

We have a front facing deluxe ocean view booked-9100- and may opt to move to a sunset veranda. Not sure if any of these cabin categories/locations are reporting this issue. 

Just cruised on our first Celebrity cruise on Beyond, SSV cabin 11296, Mediterranean.  I packed ear plugs after reading the reviews and never needed them. Cabin was amazing and quiet as a church mouse.  Best sleep we’ve ever had.  The only time we heard a little creaking was in the afternoon going through the Strait of Messina when weather was overcast and super windy.  Once past there no noise.  

• Like 1

We were on Beyond last May in Sunset Veranda 9th deck (can t remember exact nr, was just beside suite on starboard side).  We do not remember any special noises, but were in Mediterranean with very calm sea.

• Like 1

So calm weather means no creacking - rough weather a bit ( or a bit more) creacking! I found that out since my very first cruise back in 1983. I can not imagine that there is a design flaw in the ships themself. ( There some with the E- Class ships, but that has nothing to do with the creacking noise.. )

On 4/12/2023 at 3:25 PM, oceanbeau10 said:

We were on the Beyond last week, and there was "no noise" in our cabin, 7299.  We absolutely loved the infinite veranda!!!!  Some nights we slept with the window down, it felt great hearing the ocean!  Infinite veranda is our favorite!

Thanks so much for the info… we have cabin 7297 booked (right next door) and we were getting a little nervous hearing about this noise issue!

All ships creak...some.  But the explanation about workmanship likely is true, as modern cruise ships have their cabins manufactured off-ship then they are hoisted into place...like stacking of rail or shipping containers.  The staterooms are the only area of ship construction done like this. There are videos of this process.  With different crews working in various sections of the ship, it makes sense that there might be some variation in the quality of the install. But picture two shipping containers rubbing against each other, and the noise makes more sense.

One issue is that these ships are not meant to sail in rough water.  They aren't built for open sea travel the way ocean liners were built.  Even with Cunard, there is a vast difference between QM2 and the others in their fleet, as it was designed to cross the Atlantic.

The other issue is that they want to give better views and fewer obstructions in cabin design, leaving larger expanses of beams supporting large panes of glass.  When you "twist" these things, they "groan" or "ping." 

My BMW wagon had a panoramic moonroof that creaked for 7 years on rough pavement.  Same principle, and the dealer kept packing the surrounding areas with sound deadening material, but it didn't go away...until I traded it for a Volvo!😉 

We sailed on Constellation in 40' swells, and combined with my over-consumption of Tiramisu- caffeine triggers panic attacks- the noises we heard all night made me think the ship was going to break apart.  It didn't, and I've since taken many crossings on M and S class.  All creaked, but it didn't bother me.

This seems like a construction issue that ship engineers can fix some of the problems, but not all.

Hopefully, they will continue to solve (as some have reported) and then address the issue more thoroughly during a drydock.

In the meantime, use information here for planning your cabin choice!  Or over indulge, as one person suggested...😂

Andrew

• Like 2

Andrew, this is exactly what we learned recently in a video. The individual cabins might as well be Lego bricks added on top of one another piece by piece. We figure that the design of infinite balconies, and where the glass is placed, may be part of the fault. Except that passengers on the Edge and Apex don’t seem to suffer from creaks quite so much. I think the shipyard workers just didn’t do as good a job fastening each cabin to the adjoining ones. Or the fabricator of the cabins didn’t use as good quality materials as they did on the first two ships. 

We are taking our chances that cabins with true balconies might be quieter than the Infinite ones. So we’re paying more to have a Sky Suite with a traditional balcony next spring. 

5 hours ago, Blazerboy said:

All ships creak...some.  But the explanation about workmanship likely is true, as modern cruise ships have their cabins manufactured off-ship then they are hoisted into place...like stacking of rail or shipping containers.  The staterooms are the only area of ship construction done like this. There are videos of this process.  With different crews working in various sections of the ship, it makes sense that there might be some variation in the quality of the install. But picture two shipping containers rubbing against each other, and the noise makes more sense.

One issue is that these ships are not meant to sail in rough water.  They aren't built for open sea travel the way ocean liners were built.  Even with Cunard, there is a vast difference between QM2 and the others in their fleet, as it was designed to cross the Atlantic.

The other issue is that they want to give better views and fewer obstructions in cabin design, leaving larger expanses of beams supporting large panes of glass.  When you "twist" these things, they "groan" or "ping." 

My BMW wagon had a panoramic moonroof that creaked for 7 years on rough pavement.  Same principle, and the dealer kept packing the surrounding areas with sound deadening material, but it didn't go away...until I traded it for a Volvo!😉 

We sailed on Constellation in 40' swells, and combined with my over-consumption of Tiramisu- caffeine triggers panic attacks- the noises we heard all night made me think the ship was going to break apart.  It didn't, and I've since taken many crossings on M and S class.  All creaked, but it didn't bother me.

This seems like a construction issue that ship engineers can fix some of the problems, but not all.

Hopefully, they will continue to solve (as some have reported) and then address the issue more thoroughly during a drydock.

In the meantime, use information here for planning your cabin choice!  Or over indulge, as one person suggested...😂

Andrew

Good explanation...the  nouse disruption problem for some cabins is way more than mere  creakiness...the  videos show examples,

Have not yet crossed the pond but will only do so on QM2.,built as an ocean liner..but I heard it too has had some issues ..engines????

• 2 months later...

9322 anyone?   As long as we dredging up this thread can anyone speak to creaking or cracking on board Beyond in this Sunset Verandah.  Sailing in the Caribbean in September 2024.  Also have friends in SVs on deck 8 and deck 12 on the same cruise.  I checked the sticky thread, but nothing for SV 9322.  Bringing my white noise machine just in case.

Edited by Stem to Stern

On 2/20/2023 at 1:31 PM, Dylan0474mac said:

Currently on beyond. Our room sounds like it’s falling apart. Woke us up last night repeatedly.  They might have to take this whole thing apart and put it back together again. 
Our butler offered to have someone come check it out but the sounds are coming from the walls, the doors, and ceilings… everywhere.  I know it’s not something they can fix , but he tried. 

We were on the Beyond in February and the issue is still there.

We were in a Magic Carpet Sky Suite in February and had a lot of noise. I agree that ships make creaking sounds and when the seas are rough the creaking is increased but in our 60+ cruises we have never encountered so much creaking, snapping and banging throughout the walls and windows. When we notified the ship they came in within a couple days, took down all the trim at the top of the walls, inserted rubber or foam and reinstalled the trim. They also added additional screws along the top of the windows. These changes improved the issue. 

We were told they are aware of these issues throughout some of the cabins and were attempting to fix them as they are being pointed out so hopefully guests that are staying in previously noisy cabins are now not having issues. That could be why many are now not experiencing any noise. 

We were on the Apex transatlantic in the spring and heard banging in the wall behind our bed four nights when the weather picked up a bit. We were in an IV on the 8th floor midship. My DH slept through it, but I thought that construction could have been going on! lol

1 hour ago, Luv2cruze me and u said:

I know this video is on page 2 of the tread, but with all the complaining about "creaking" this is the first video I've actually seen.  Not that I'm scouring CC all day, every day looking for these, but yeah..

• Like 1

On 9/12/2023 at 9:49 PM, STLCRUISIN said:

We were in a Magic Carpet Sky Suite in February and had a lot of noise. I agree that ships make creaking sounds and when the seas are rough the creaking is increased but in our 60+ cruises we have never encountered so much creaking, snapping and banging throughout the walls and windows. When we notified the ship they came in within a couple days, took down all the trim at the top of the walls, inserted rubber or foam and reinstalled the trim. They also added additional screws along the top of the windows. These changes improved the issue. 

We were told they are aware of these issues throughout some of the cabins and were attempting to fix them as they are being pointed out so hopefully guests that are staying in previously noisy cabins are now not having issues. That could be why many are now not experiencing any noise. 

We are in a MC suite on our upcoming cruise. Which was your cabin out of interest? I’m hoping if an issue X will deal with it promptly.