The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday February 22nd, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Hope everyone stays safe in the storm.  Annie so sorry about your dear cat. It is so hard to lose our pets.

Thank you for the pictures of the port of the day, we are heading to Iceland this summer of a BHB but this is not one of our ports.

I hope everyone's medical tests go fine and the results are all good.

• Like 18

45 minutes ago, dfish said:

I'm thrilled to see the pictures of Djupivogur as we will be there this summer.  I think we are going to do much as @Cruising-alongdid and just walk around.  I guess there are some hikes there that are pretty nice.  We'll find out.

Debbie this is a great port to see just by walking around.  Be sure and walk around the lake and admire the flowers around it.  Hopefully you'll have great weather like we did!

• Like 13

56 minutes ago, dfish said:

Greetings from a snowy mid-Michigan.  The roads got messy early.  I just came back in from the second round of shoveling and we are not going to escape at the lower end of the snow estimate.  I've already shoveled more than that out of the driveway.

I'm thrilled to see the pictures of Djupivogur as we will be there this summer.  I think we are going to do much as @Cruising-alongdid and just walk around.  I guess there are some hikes there that are pretty nice.  We'll find out.

Now, what is with so many of us being up at 3:00 am?   My mother would say we have a guilty conscience, but I don't think so!!  I should sleep well tonight knowing my DB does not have to drive to Saginaw for work tonight and that my DS is home early from work because things got so bad.  I doubt she'll make it in tomorrow either.  

Stay safe, everyone!

Debbie, I'm glad your DB and DS are safely home.  Be careful shoveling the snow.

50 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I was able to get out to Target and CVS-in-Target before the you-know-what started, but I had a TCM appointment this afternoon and it had begun by then. When I was on the way home just now there was about an inch of it everywhere. Fortunately, it's only a mile away.

Waking once during the night and staying awake for a while is a normal, but pre-modern, sleep pattern and is natural for some people. For others of us, it can indicate some anxiety or distress, especially if we can't get back to sleep at all.

bookoutfit.thumb.jpg.60c8e2d0ccd98755bc2898b8ea83f16b.jpg

Paul, glad you made it home safely.

39 minutes ago, superoma said:

We started with light flurries this morning which gave over to rain early and it is still raining. We are just below freezing and I see some ice accumulating on my chestnut tree. Our DD had to go in to work this morning (45 minutes away) but her afternoon meeting and event were cancelled so she was able to go home and finish her day from there. Tomorrow is a work at home day. And the grandchildren are all off for reading week so no one has to drive to class. Our normal Wednesday women dinner will just be my neighbour and myself as everyone else is hunkered down at home. I think the snow has totally bypassed us but the ice could be worse, especially overnight. Again, Essex county is having an easier time than most of the rest of Ontario. Be safe everyone and hope your power doesn’t  go out so you can stay warm.  

Eva, I'm glad your DD got to be home before things got any worse.  

Lenda

• Like 12

The weather forecast is frightful — up north.  We have had virtually no snow in PA.  Tomorrow is a “fluke” day — 70% for one day and then back to more winter temperatures.  Baltimore port tomorrow is supposed to be 78% for one day as well.  Have to adjust what I will be wearing for travel and sailaway.  

Stay safe everyone. Katherine 

• Like 17

4 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

The weather forecast is frightful — up north.  We have had virtually no snow in PA.  Tomorrow is a “fluke” day — 70% for one day and then back to more winter temperatures.  Baltimore port tomorrow is supposed to be 78% for one day as well.  Have to adjust what I will be wearing for travel and sailaway.  

Stay safe everyone. Katherine 

I hope you have an absolutely amazing cruise Katherine.

Graham.

• Like 5

Good Afternoon All, it was definitely a busy work day.  Over 400 emails and 7 customer zoom meetings made the day go quickly.  Done for the day.  Breaking my no adult beverages on a school night rule.
Customers, frustrated with the conversion, reminded me that it was National Margarita Day.  
image.thumb.png.76797fa9fea9a7fa8ee3a1f6681dce83.png

• Like 15
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Happy Wednesday Morning Dailyites!  The computer says 62 and cloudy.  It is cloudy.  I dont believe the temps.  

@dfishI love the look of the meal today.  This is a lot like what our Massaman curry looks like, the can of curry soup comes with some small potatoes, and then we add shrimp or shredded chicken to it. DH loves it on rice, but thanks to you and your veggie information, I put my curry on roasted cauliflower.  Yummy!  If there are left over veggies in the fridge, I throw them in too, and then serve with sliced avocado and a few cashews.  We  have this about once a week.  Easy peasy since our curry comes in a can. 

@HAL Sailer How nice of Pearl to start the Prayer chain for you.  This is like the man at the BBQ place last Saturday who prayed over DH to heal.  He said to me when we left that it is a time in the world for Christians to announce who they are,  by actions.  

DH and I have been having a hard week because we have had to make a hard decision about Neko.  She is hungry, but she cant eat, the gums are really bothering her, and the tumor in her throat is blocking her ability to swallow.  We knew that we would have to do something, but now it is sooner than later, and I dont believe any animal should suffer, so we called the vet yesterday and let them know our decision, and they still cant see her until  Friday morning.  Right now we are trying to get her to eat broth, but even that does not stay down.  So until Friday, she will be at my work desk demanding love, which i will give her, and tonight we will try a pure liquid meal for her.  

I'm really sorry to hear about Neko's troubles Annie.  I know it's one of the hardest things you've ever had to do.  Hugs and prayers for you and Chuck.

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Or the ferry

Roy

Good idea.  

5 hours ago, kazu said:

thanks for our Wednesday Daily, Sandi.

Good collection of days - especially Ash Wednesday & Be Humble Day although I do think “be humble” should be everyday.  Great Emerson quote and ever so true.

On the tardy side today - back from physio and weary.  Not sure it’s because I joined the 3 am wake up club (although it was really 4 AM) or from the physio session today.

I hope you keep your power 🤞 Thinking of you and everyone caught in this huge storm.  Stay safe please.

that whole story is just lovely, Melisa 👍 

Honestly - some people !!!  I completely agree - people like this make you want to just be with our furry friends.  

Good luck at the dentist, Gerry.  Hopefully something can be done easily 🤞 

that’s one small blessing on the ‘frozen tundra’.  It’s far too cold to be without heat for long.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list, people of Ukraine & New Zealand and all the earthquake victims.  And a big toast 🥂 to all those celebrating.

F1AB9D0C-6666-4B79-9BDA-1F1AB0A9977E.jpeg.90e9c116ec077078e8ce900432d74f60.jpeg

Have a great Wednesday everyone and stay safe in the storms.

Jacqui, great that you got home before the storm.  I hope you can rest up after all that physio work and get some extra sleep tonight.  You don't want to be a member of the 3 am club, that's for sure!

4 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites, and thanks to everyone for the news.  I'm sorry about Neko.  It's a hard decision to make, and hard to go through with, too.

One cruise story I will always remember was in the Lido one day, we were near two ladies, one was in a foul mood and was very rude to a waiter who was trying to help.  Her friend said to her "You forgot to pack your manners"!  I make an effort now to always leave a little space in my suitcase for my manners....

yesterday Pat spent about 5 hours at the hospital waiting for pre-op tests, and today he has two  pre-op phone interviews.  He may not finish in time to take my neighbour and me to our stamp club meeting so I may have to drive and it is not easy to find a parking space near the senior centre.  Pat usually drops us and then goes off to the grocery store to pick up anything I need and have a coffee at Timmie's.  So I'm hoping the phone call is on time and short!

I think we will go to church tonight at 7.  We are going to be busy today.  Or, who knows, perhaps we will be too tired.  I did some gardening yesterday, so I'm sore - and of course now the temperature has dropped and everything will freeze!  The reservoir has got to 96.8%, still we need to get to 100% and overflowing.   It may snow today.

I like the story about not packing our manners.  That was a very wise woman and I hope her friend learned something.

4 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

Sitting in the sun on my balcony happy not to be home as we are having a multi hour ice storm with a gale warning at the shore today. I opened my email and first thing was an email from our power company showing us in the bullseye.  My sister and I texted about it yesterday and I said the place will be fine until about 3 days because the temperatures are hovering around freezing so I don't have to worry about pipes freezing just after 3 days it can become an issue with 3 full freezers.  We have a generator but it is not automatic so she will muster help in a few days if necessary.  I'll keep an eye on the outage map. 

@marshhawkso sorry about Niko. 😿

@Quartzsite Cruiserand @StLouisCruisersthanks for the info about Boca de Valaria.  I brought about 30 boxes of crayons I bought on clearance at Walmart so I will save them for the kids in this port.  Nancy 

I hope your home doesn't have any outages during this storm.  Thank goodness you have family who can help out if the worst happens.  At Boca da Valeria I'm sure the children will be enchanted with your crayons.  I hope you enjoy your time spent in that little village.  They had young ladies dressed in elaborate costumes for photos in case you'd be interested in that.  Enjoy!

4 hours ago, dfish said:

The surgery was postponed until the end of March so the surgeon can go on vacation.  It is now scheduled for March 29th.  I hope your DS can get home as well.  Detroit and Ann Arbor are going to take the brunt of the ice portion of this storm.  It should be over by mid day Thursday, so there is a glimmer of hope.  The roads are a mess already and the really heavy snow hasn't started.  I skipped the gym and shoveled the drive instead.  

What a heartwarming story, Melisa!  Stay warm and safe during today's storm and tomorrow.

What brand is the curry soup?   I realized I have never really had curry and should probably try it and see what I think.  I think I would like it with all the flavors in it.

This is a very hard decision that you have made, but you are thinking of Neko and not yourself.  Hugs to you and I will be thinking of you on Friday morning.

@ottahand7 I read with interest your comment about going to Medical to pick up your weekly refrigerated prescription.  Did you make those arrangements beforehand?   We will be on the ship for 32 days this summer and I have a med that needs refrigeration.  We won't have a fridge in our cabin (inside cabin on Zaandam), so I need to figure out something to do about it.  If I could leave it with Medical and only retrieve it once a week, it would be ideal.  

Sorry to hear you have to wait for your doctor to take his/her vacation to get your surgery.  What a bummer!  Wow, I really hope the ice isn't as bad as you think it will be down in A2.  They've had some heavy snow today but tomorrow the temp is expected to be 48 for a high down there.  Then Thursday night down to 16!  Which means a refreeze possibly, so I hope DS is safe driving home.  Somehow he drove in the ice in Dallas two weeks ago so I'll be praying for him again.  Mothers never stop worrying.😟

4 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Sandi,  she is part Australian cattle dog and part Corgi. 

Interesting.  Well, she's an adorable best friend!🐕

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

We had a big surprise this morning when we looked out the window -- probably about 4 inches of the white powdery stuff -- not expected!  The forecast is for lows in the teens and more "frozen mix" so I guess this will stick around for awhile.  Nothing like what other parts of the country and Canada are getting, so I won't complain.

DD, DSIL and the grandsons spent the night last night and left about half an hour ago to head to Whistler.  It was obvious how much they've all missed these kittens.  They will be back on Sunday, and the kittens will go home.  It's going well getting the antibiotics into Captain Soot, I'm thankful he loves his canned food -- so easy to mix it in his food.  

@marshhawkI'm so sorry to hear about Neko, and know how difficult it must be for you.  Is there another vet nearby who could see him before Friday?  

Here are my photos of Djupivogur. We were there in 2018 on the Voyage of the Vikings.   We spent hours just walking.  Around the lake, up the hills, and one thing I especially wanted to do was to see Jon Sigurosson's shop so we spent some time there visiting with him.  We found a few trinkets for the grandsons, but oh my things were expensive as everything is in Iceland.  We thoroughly enjoyed our day.

dock.jpg.57688c239fe2f79a356fb072d3f6345b.jpg

This building dates back to 1790

1171573308_datesbackto1790.jpg.7d51cce0bd5b1edbe0e24b0bd33e251f.jpg

1918090429_walkaroundlake.jpg.16d2562bb7958d227e5bf3d4623dc840.jpg

1342778484_Icelandicchurch.jpg.947fc3f7843b4c1ea538630574013285.jpg

313573101_Djupivogurmemorial.jpg.f6eed81e08b470df2c2eb361f16926e9.jpg

These plants fascinated me.  When I was able to look them up, I found the common name is "Cotton Flower" and they really look like cotton plants in a field.

687972394_CottonFlower.jpg.8401a890b5bc5644e412ade03eeed955.jpg

This is the lake we walked around

1236683569_Djupivogurlake.jpg.172c3b161e23e58f0764cd206c90ae72.jpg

Jon's shop with polished local rock, crystal and wood carvings.  Amazing.

1487824880_JFSHandcraft.jpg.becc4fdb11ff57ff9f63dbb8ec105802.jpg

Jon, this is in back of the shop.

Jon.jpg.5ee159ff615cc003c7ef6637df5f0497.jpg

Beautiful Lupines

1548036114_IcelandicLupines.thumb.jpg.f77484469b8b2c780cea98d9d10244fe.jpg

Great pictures of Djupivogur!  I can't wait to see it.  Debbie @dfish and Sue will be on the same cruise as DH and I so you can bet we all can't wait to get to Iceland again.  That cotton flower looks like the plant we saw in Ilulissat, Greenland when we walked out to the glacier on the long, long boardwalk.  

4 hours ago, Dismomx5 said:

Good morning. Just popping by to say 'hi' and let you know that I do still lurk. 😉

Thanks to all that have kept this thread going! 

@ottahand7I miss those eggs benedict!  @marshhawk I am so sorry about Neko. We had to make that decision in December and it was a hard one to be sure. Hugs to you!

We are waiting for the ice storm here. We've been lucky and the storms have passed us by every time this season, but I don't think we'll be so lucky this time. Stay safe and warm!

Glad you checked in today.  Stay safe in that storm!

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. I'm back from my stress test. I feel like a pincushion due to my tiny veins (the only small about me, lol). I decided to get lab work first, and it took 3 sticks just to get the 2 tubes of blood needed. Then for the stress test, 2 sticks to get an IV in. The test was fine, except the stuff they give to speed the heart up (in lieu of being on the treadmill), gave me a headache and a little breathlessness. They give you caffeine after the procedure, which reverses those symptoms (Pepsi). I'm adding to that now with my delayed morning coffee. I may have results in MyChart this evening.

It's pouring rain, but better that than ice or snow! Stay safe all who are getting foul weather.

@marshhawk Sorry to hear of the hard decision you must make about Neko. I know you'll do what's best for him.

@Cruising-along Thanks for the photos of Djupivogur.

Vanessa, what an ordeal getting the tests done!  I'm so sorry to hear about it but hope the results are favorable for you.🙏

2 hours ago, Stewie & wife said:

Was this a tender port or were you able to dock here?

Thank you for joining us today on the Daily and Fleet Report!

2 hours ago, kplady said:

We were in Djupivogur in August on the Nieuw Statendam cruise.  It was our 4th Iceland port in a row, with Reykjavik the next day.  We didn't have any plans, so we just wandered around the town (VERY small!), and then had a local beer before heading back.0815-02.thumb.JPG.9dad7c9ca1102902c606f4e999bb38cb.JPG0815-06.thumb.JPG.f4009145142e02ae3aa37a0a00ec5146.JPG0815-07.thumb.JPG.9e7252f1e7eae1d92f37bcc711498f8d.JPG0815-08.thumb.JPG.fde15514af5f52e6b65141120a1574be.JPG0815-08a.thumb.JPG.c2881394335a0ae8f2257f730619ffa5.JPG0815-09.thumb.JPG.8b453a6cd6778f3bec4e8e61e67fd5ec.JPG0815-11.thumb.JPG.60d84b9e42e50afa21521a54336b7cad.JPG

Prayers for all, whether you think you need them or not!  Cheers for everyone lucky enough to be cruising....three weeks from tomorrow we head out to our Princess cruise - Australia, New Zealand, American Samoa, Tahiti, Honolulu, Maui and ending in San Francisco!!!

Take care,

Laura

Thanks for your photos too Laura.  Just walking around the small towns is exactly what we like to do also.  Your upcoming cruise sounds fabulous and I hope you enjoy every minute of it.

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Greetings from a snowy mid-Michigan.  The roads got messy early.  I just came back in from the second round of shoveling and we are not going to escape at the lower end of the snow estimate.  I've already shoveled more than that out of the driveway.

Now, what is with so many of us being up at 3:00 am?   My mother would say we have a guilty conscience, but I don't think so!!  I should sleep well tonight knowing my DB does not have to drive to Saginaw for work tonight and that my DS is home early from work because things got so bad.  I doubt she'll make it in tomorrow either.  

Stay safe, everyone!

Debbie, I agree the photos of Djupivogur certainly whet our appetites for our upcoming cruise.  Can't wait!  I hate to hear about all the snow up your way and that you have to do all that shoveling.  Please be careful, and stay safe.  Nice to hear your DB and DS are safe now too.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Great pictures of Djupivogur!  I can't wait to see it.  Debbie @dfish and Sue will be on the same cruise as DH and I so you can bet we all can't wait to get to Iceland again.  That cotton flower looks like the plant we saw in Ilulissat, Greenland when we walked out to the glacier on the long, long boardwalk.  

Have a great cruise!  I found a few more photos of our walk in Djupivogur...

wildflowers.thumb.jpg.daa0135773b066c6dbf327ef73b869b7.jpg

walkiniceland.jpg.2e1e5e92dc82f7c1db226b8131538140.jpg

tenders.jpg.e88f8ec6a7899423c29ae42c2e2bab12.jpg

shack.jpg.9f21daea3540f370a1fc551a30dfb215.jpg

monument.jpg.1e0a9cf580df514906a1df99ca15c89e.jpg

Icelandflowers.jpg.2e7cbda2ff09cdfc8cf76c5ea4420ee1.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

I have now been on Zuiderdam two full months and I'm enjoying the life aboard the ship. We have eight sea days starting today, so back to that routine. I celebrated the occasion by sleeping in an extra half hour.

Hope everyone is doing well, and my thanks again to everyone who keeps this thread going. Special thanks to those who have started posting recently. Hope to meet more of y'all on board a BHB!

Rich

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I have now been on Zuiderdam two full months and I'm enjoying the life aboard the ship. We have eight sea days starting today, so back to that routine. I celebrated the occasion by sleeping in an extra half hour.

Hope everyone is doing well, and my thanks again to everyone who keeps this thread going. Special thanks to those who have started posting recently. Hope to meet more of y'all on board a BHB!

Rich

Happy to hear that  you are enjoying your cruise while some bloggers are complaining about everything. Can’t imagine why they would continue on? Some folks just can’t be pleased.

• Like 15

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sorry to hear you have to wait for your doctor to take his/her vacation to get your surgery.  What a bummer!  Wow, I really hope the ice isn't as bad as you think it will be down in A2.  They've had some heavy snow today but tomorrow the temp is expected to be 48 for a high down there.  Then Thursday night down to 16!  Which means a refreeze possibly, so I hope DS is safe driving home.  Somehow he drove in the ice in Dallas two weeks ago so I'll be praying for him again.  Mothers never stop worrying.😟

Well, the doctor deserves his vacation time as well.  They said it was a family thing in India, so maybe a sibling getting married or something like that.  

I just checked the weather again and it looks like the weather will clear out of A2 around 1-2 am.  That leaves lots of time to treat the roads before your DS flies in tomorrow night.  I think he'll be ok.

We are counting down the days.  We are on the cruise before that as well, so we board 5 months from today!  Yay!!!  I looked up Djupivogur and there are some nice hikes around there.  I think Sue and I will stop by the visitor's center and see what we can find out.  Maybe grab a map.

Debbie, I agree the photos of Djupivogur certainly whet our appetites for our upcoming cruise.  Can't wait!  I hate to hear about all the snow up your way and that you have to do all that shoveling.  Please be careful, and stay safe.  Nice to hear your DB and DS are safe now too.

I don't lift the snow when I shovel, just push it to one side or the other.  It isn't too taxing.  And I can daydream about our cruise while I'm doing it since it isn't heavy on the mental taxation either.

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

The guy from the lab finally arrived at 4:35, so I was a virtual shut-in all day.  There was a bit of good news; tomorrow I can just leave it outside on the door.

Roy

Well, Glory, Glory!   Sorry you were a shut in today, but tomorrow you have freedom!   I'll still be snowed in. 

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Have a great cruise!  I found a few more photos of our walk in Djupivogur...

wildflowers.thumb.jpg.daa0135773b066c6dbf327ef73b869b7.jpg

walkiniceland.jpg.2e1e5e92dc82f7c1db226b8131538140.jpg

tenders.jpg.e88f8ec6a7899423c29ae42c2e2bab12.jpg

shack.jpg.9f21daea3540f370a1fc551a30dfb215.jpg

monument.jpg.1e0a9cf580df514906a1df99ca15c89e.jpg

Icelandflowers.jpg.2e7cbda2ff09cdfc8cf76c5ea4420ee1.jpg

Thanks, Carolyn.  We are so, so excited!  

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Rich

I'm happy to hear you're having a good time and enjoying shipboard life.  I can't imagine being aboard that long.  We'll do a month this summer.  

It is still coming down outside.  I'm leaving the rest of the snow in the driveway for my plow guy.  He'll come tomorrow morning some time. We will end up with 8-10 inches total.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Checking in before bed…. Drive most of the way today, DH really struggling with his itchy eyes and face. I-95 was pretty amicable today. Left in drizzle at 36, arrived 4pm with sun and 84!  Near NC/SC state line, glad it wasn’t longer.  In December be did 600 miles the first day but DH was doing better then and we were trying to get beyond Ft Lauderdale to visit my sister in the Keys. Tomorrow’s target is Jacksonville- should be easy enough. 

@dfish you used to be able to rent a small dorm frig for $2/day. Did it fir granddaughter who was allergic to almost everything, brought special foods for her. Of course there’s not much room, just under the desk. 

Annie, @marshhawk Nemo sounds precious!  Where there’s love there’s courage 💔

Roy @rafinmd  Hoping the data gathering is a success that results in a path toward healing!  

Melissa, thanks for sharing your story!  

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope…. and SLEEP (I woke at 3:15, brain exploding details, but made it through the day ok, thanks for all your positive energy! I’m trying to stay awake to help DHs last eye drops tonight…. By then the Benadryl will kick in!) 

Cheers to all celebrating!  Smooth travels for all away. And protection for all through the storms, and all the rescuers and victims of disasters. 

Hope to check in again before we shove off!  Everybody stay well and safe!  M—

• Like 15

Thanks for all the  daily information.

It's a cooler day, temperature 14 C,  alternate sun and rain all day.   Need rain, the city reservoirs are low.

Supermarket this morning, then out for lunch.

@Cruising-along and @kplady thank you for sharing your photos

@Mr. Boston Bon Voyage. 

@marshhawk  very sorry about Neko, we humans have to make the hard decisions for our fur babies........, but we don't want them to suffer.  It's almost a year since we had to make that decision, for our previous cat.   Hugs to you and DH.

@smitty34877  some people are so inconsiderate, they should be thankful that it is not themselves being wheeled away for futher treatment.

More heavy rain is forecast for Hawkes Bay.  Thank you to the posters who have mentioned the folk affected by the Cyclone   Australia and Fiji have sent assistance. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2