The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday March 14th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Today is Learn about Butterflies Day, National Potato Chip Day, and National Pi Day

Life is a lot like jazz... it's best when you improvise. - George Gershwin

Meal Suggestion for today - Paleo Meatloaf
Drink of the Day - Old Fashioned
Wine of the Day - Ornellaia Bolgheri Superiore, Tuscany, Italy 2015
Destination of the Day - Kangaroo Island, Penneshaw, South Australia

Eurodam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Fakarava Atoll, Tuamotus French Polynesia 08:00 - 17:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Willemstad, Curacao eta 3/15

Nieuw Statendam

Puerto Plata-Amber Cove, Dominicana 08:00 - 17:00

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Port Stanley, East Falkland Island eta 3-15

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Puerto Plata-Amber Cove, Dominicana eta 3/15

Volendam

St. Thomas, United States Virgin Islands 10:00 - 18:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Riviera eta 3-15

Zuiderdam

Cape Town, South Africa 07:00 Arrive

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Fiordland National Park, New Zealand eta 3-17

Westerdam

Kobe-Osaka, Kyoto, Japan 12:00 Arrive

image.thumb.png.a97cb3a80f40cc5123e5b9b027b9812e.png

image.thumb.png.d3f00cec57098d7bb9b32f67978dcb33.png

Sandi for Rich and Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 14

Good morning friends!  It's a cold 32F and still going down.  Later today will be sunny and 51 for a high.  March is always like this in the South!  Seventies one week, thirties the next.

Thank you Rich @richwmnfor assembling the Daily for us before your World Cruise.  A couple of ships have changed their itineraries so I hope I have posted them correctly.  At least the Zuiderdam is in the correct locaton today.  We have several varied days to celebrate this Tuesday morning.  Most importantly is National Pi Day and I think you can figure out why.  3.14!  I'll let the mathematicians rhapsodize about it all.  I rather like National Potato Chip Day myself.  You can't eat just one.  And then Learn About Butterflies Day.  I know we'll have a nice discussion about that later on.  Another life quote this time by Gershwin.  I don't know about Paleo but we did fix meatloaf for dinner last night.  Let's see what Debbie @dfishtells us about the Paleo version.  Today's drink is a classic and the wine is from Tuscany.  I'll pass on both.  Thanks to the food and beverage ladies for all their research to enlighten us on the food, drink and wine.  

Thanks also to Vanessa @JazzyVwho is the keeper of lists.  I pray all on the Care list improve.  For all the disaster areas across the globe, we pray for you all as well.  As to the celebrations, those bring a smile to our face.  Happy cruising!  Happy birthday wishes go to Brenda @bennybear and my DB.  He turns 70 today!

The port today is Penneshaw (Kangaroo Island), South Australia which is a repeat from July 15, 2022.  I have not been there before and have no photos to bore you with today. 😉  If you'd like to go back to that date to retrieve your own photos, please do.  We appreciate it!

I'm going down to the treadmill shortly, then after breakfast I'm supposed to go the gym.  I'd better get motivated!  Welcome home to Graham @grapau27and Pauline @Paw13.  I know your birthday week trip was a tremendous success.  Hoping all here have a terrific Tuesday!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.

It is currently 33°F here in North East England at 09.40am a big difference from 80°F in Tenerife where we have been for Pauline's birthday.

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for today's reports.

Butterflies are really beautiful and do an important pollinating job for our flowers.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Best regards for everyone on the care list.

Take care.

Graham.

Screenshot_20230314_093919.jpg

IMG_20230312_193115.jpg

IMG_20230309_153902.jpg

IMG_20230312_185505.jpg

IMG_20230309_164346.jpg

IMG_20230309_153648.jpg

IMG_20230309_153506.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info SLC.

Seems like we have celebrated some of these days before or I have discussed them before.

National Pi Day. Someone told me in school that Pi are square. Everyone know Pi is not square. Pi are round. Cornbread are square.

National Potato Chip Day. The other day I stated, What did Mr. Potato Chip say to Miss Corn Chip. “Are you Frito-Lay?”

I like the GG quote. I guess I do that everyday. Cool, man!

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 19
  • Haha 4

Today’s care list:

Roy recovering from pneumonia

RMLincoln and DH testing positive for Covid

Superoma’s DD and her family testing positive for Covid

Durangoscots with the crud for a week

Cruzin Terri not feeling well

Ktbraun upcoming Cardiologist appointment

Luvteaching’s DH in the hospital

Cruzin Terri with pain from myofascial strain

Difficult days for Jacqui (kazu)

Citizens of Ukraine/CA deluged by snow and rain

From the rotation:

RMLincoln’s DH’s sensitivity to glaucoma meds and upcoming surgery

Marshhawk’s DH (Chuck)’s vision issues

Tana’s pulmonary issues 

Former President Jimmy Carter in home hospice care

Celebrations and Shout outs:

Happy Birthday Brenda (bennybear)!

Dfish getting adrenal issue addressed

Luvteaching’s DH doing well

StLouisCruiser’s DB’s medication for pulmonary fibrosis being paid for 100%

Smitty34877’s new aide for Tana

Cruzin Terri’s bathroom nearer to completion

Many Dailyites planning cruises

3 days for RedneckBob (Celebrity Constellation 3/17 to 3/27)

4 Days for DWAliaschief’s sisters cruise (Rotterdam 3/18 to3/29)

4 Days for Seagarsmoker (N Statendam 3/18 to 3/25)

7 days for Kplady (Grand Princess 3/21 to 4/28)

ottahand7 and Lindaler (Volendam to 3/18), Suslor (Zaandam to 3/18), Lady Hudson (Anthem of the Seas 3/19), Seasick Sailor and 57redbird (Koningsdam to 3/25), Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to 4/6), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12) at sea

• Like 26
  • Thanks 13

Good morning all and special thanks to those responsible and help to put out the daily fleet report.  It is good to be back and read this report and about the experiences and thoughts of all those who participate here.  

My DW and I just returned last night from a Western Caribbean cruise on the Ruby Princess.  We had a great time.  I will be posting a small report on some of our experiences a bit later.  @StLouisCruisers: we did eat at the International Cafe and I must say, it was a favorite go to spot for a quick bite to eat or snack.  As this was our second cruise ever, we learned more and more about what our personal likes and dislikes are.  I know we will enjoy our upcoming cruises (all on HAL ships) even more now with more experience behind us.  

• Like 34

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It's a cold 32F and still going down.  Later today will be sunny and 51 for a high.  March is always like this in the South!  Seventies one week, thirties the next.

Thank you Rich @richwmnfor assembling the Daily for us before your World Cruise.  A couple of ships have changed their itineraries so I hope I have posted them correctly.  At least the Zuiderdam is in the correct locaton today.  We have several varied days to celebrate this Tuesday morning.  Most importantly is National Pi Day and I think you can figure out why.  3.14!  I'll let the mathematicians rhapsodize about it all.  I rather like National Potato Chip Day myself.  You can't eat just one.  And then Learn About Butterflies Day.  I know we'll have a nice discussion about that later on.  Another life quote this time by Gershwin.  I don't know about Paleo but we did fix meatloaf for dinner last night.  Let's see what Debbie @dfishtells us about the Paleo version.  Today's drink is a classic and the wine is from Tuscany.  I'll pass on both.  Thanks to the food and beverage ladies for all their research to enlighten us on the food, drink and wine.  

Thanks also to Vanessa @JazzyVwho is the keeper of lists.  I pray all on the Care list improve.  For all the disaster areas across the globe, we pray for you all as well.  As to the celebrations, those bring a smile to our face.  Happy cruising!  Happy birthday wishes go to Brenda @bennybear and my DB.  He turns 70 today!

The port today is Penneshaw (Kangaroo Island), South Australia which is a repeat from July 15, 2022.  I have not been there before and have no photos to bore you with today. 😉  If you'd like to go back to that date to retrieve your own photos, please do.  We appreciate it!

I'm going down to the treadmill shortly, then after breakfast I'm supposed to go the gym.  I'd better get motivated!  Welcome home to Graham @grapau27and Pauline @Paw13.  I know your birthday week trip was a tremendous success.  Hoping all here have a terrific Tuesday!

Happy birthday to your brother Sandi.

birthday-fireworks.gif.93f1e7c6e52e2869b60c44635b2a604d.gif

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for another interesting daily report. Butterflies are interesting creatures that are fun to watch. I can’t resist potato chips.  I always remember pi day as it’s my mom’s birthday, happy birthday mom!  Great quote and I love jazz!  I’ll pass on the meal as we had the real deal last evening. I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list I hope healing comes soon.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

• Like 26

Thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, Ann, and fellow dailyites,  Welcome home @grapau27 and @TAW1963.  Happy Birthday @bennybear and Sandi's DB.  Wishing @RMLincoln  a quick recovery.  I'll celebrate butterflies, potato chips Pi and pie.  Love the Gershwin quote but will pass on the meatloaf.  I haven't been to Kangaroo Island.

Slept well again last night.

Roy

• Like 35
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

I slept in!🙂

It's snowing again.  Bertie and I will head out for a walk when it's light out.  Now that we are on Daylight Saving Time, the sun comes up late for a while.

A great collection of days.  Butterflies are wonderful.  I love potato chips.  Happy Pi Day.

Love the quote.

Not sure about the meal, I'll wait until I see a recipe or 2.

I know I'll like the drink, hope the wine is good too.

Thanks for the pictures of today's port.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

@bennybear Happy Birthday! 🎂

@StLouisCruisers Happy Birthday to your DB 🎂

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Old Fashioned cocktail:

The old fashioned is a cocktail made by muddling sugar with bitters and water, adding whiskey or, less commonly, brandy, and garnishing with orange slice or zest and a cocktail cherry. It is traditionally served in an old fashioned glass, which predated the cocktail. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Whisky
Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz Bourbon or Rye whiskey, 1 Sugar cube, 2 dashes Angostura bitters, Few dashes plain water
Preparation: Place sugar cube in old fashioned glass and saturate with bitters, add a dash of plain water. Muddle until dissolved. Fill the glass with ice cubes and add whiskey. Garnish with orange slice, and a cocktail cherry.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Cocktail cherry, Orange slice
Drinkware: Old Fashioned glass

Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 7.10.20 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 12

Sandi, thank you for starting us off so faithfully every day & not scaling back on the pictures you share with us. Rich, thank you for making the Report & Daily shareable even while you cruise!

Vanessa, thank you for helping us to keep track of each other - both the good and not so good. It is just starting to get light out. Bindi actually went outside in the dark. I guess she figured out this was not just a mean trick that I was playing on her. It was barely 50 here this morning almost 20 degrees cooler than yesterday morning.

Today is change my smoke alarm batteries day, finish pulling all my tax stuff together day, one gym class and a brisk evening at our beachfront winery. Not sure how long we will last, but two couples I haven’t seen in moths will be there and it will be wonderful to see them. @AncientWanderer Maxine thank you for suggesting Nasicort. I am heading out to buy some now. My saline nasal spray is just not up to this pollen. One of my neighbor’s huge live oaks has dropped enough catkins that they are deep enough to shovel.

C6830739-4EA4-4E07-8C89-8B1BEF05B35D.jpeg.8c8f7488b9f9fd73f7c5b3b6712af43f.jpeg

66087B6C-1CE9-425B-979C-9F8EF3F69320.jpeg.c0a96c107b367f8f62757f4c33cda4f7.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Great to see you @kazu Jacqui!

Get well & stay well everyone!

Ornellaia Bolgheri Superiore, Tuscany, Italy 2015

This red blend sounds amazing. Sadly, way outside my budget. You could save a few dollars, if you are willing to cellar a more recent vintage for a few years. Both consumers and critics rave about all released vintages.  Available from several online distributors prices for the 2015 vintage start at $219.99, and the 2019 vintage prices start at $209.98.

Winemaker Notes

Like people of great ‘Carisma’ (Charisma), wines of great vintages know how to impose themselves naturally, without force, their balance allowing them to shine without having to flaunt themselves. The 2015 vintage perfectly expresses this behavioral trait. Born during a particularly balanced harvest season, 2015 is certainly one of the great Ornellaia vintages. The usual intense color indicates a wine of great texture and intensity, followed by a fruity scent that is ripe and fresh at the same time, emphasized by classic balsamic and spicy hints. On the palate, it is rich, dense, and full-bodied, with an exceptional tannic texture, dense and velvety, of great refinement, that extends throughout the mouth. The long finish concludes with a feeling of firmness and finely spiced hints.

Blend: 53% Cabernet Sauvignon, 23% Merlot, 17% Cabernet Franc, 7% Petit Verdot

JS98 James Suckling
The blackberry and blueberry aromas with fresh sage and bay-leaf character are impressive. Stone, graphite and mineral undertones. Full-bodied and silky and refined tannins. Dusty. Elegance and polish. Shows greatness in strength and refinement. A dialed-in, dialed-back Ornellaia. Drink in 2022.
WS97 Wine Spectator
A big, brooding red, packed with blackberry, plum and earth flavors, all wrapped in spicy oak. Monolithic now, finishing with saline mineral elements, a leafy, tobacco edge and dense, mouthcoating tannins. Terrific potential. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. Best from 2023 through 2038.
JD97 Jeb Dunnuck
The 2015 Ornellaia isn’t far off the 2016 yet shows a much more sexy, sunny, flamboyant style. Terrific notes of sweet black cherries, Asian spices, graphite, wood smoke, mint, and dried tobacco all soar from the glass, and it's complex and nuanced yet still packs serious oomph and intensity. Full-bodied, concentrated, and with a terrific mid-palate, it has beautifully polished tannins, no hard edges, and a great finish. It's already accessible, and I suspect it will continue drinking beautifully for two decades or more. This cuvee saw the same 20 months in 70% new oak and is a blend of 53% Cabernet Sauvignon, 23% Merlot, 17% Cabernet Franc, and 7% Petit Verdot.
WW97 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com
 Ornellaia is always in line as one of the best wines in the world. The 2015 vintage is outstanding. TASTING NOTES: This wine is bold and alluring at the same time. Its aromas and flavors of powerful black fruits, a slice of minerality, and the textures of oak. Pair it with a magnificent meal with your best wine pals, and incredible food as well. (Tasted: March 5, 2019, San Francisco, CA)
D96 Decanter
2015 is a celebrated vintage due to its powerful character. Considerable warmth produced extremely thick-skinned grapes, and the harvest for Ornellaia started in the middle of September with Merlot from Ginestraio, continuing on to the first week of October for Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc from Bellaria: such is the skeleton of this wine. It's showing generous cassis fruit with meat, leather and vanilla notes, alongside some dark cigar leaf and spice in depth. The palate is full and velvety with a chalky finish - a powerful Ornellaia to cellar, yet not without suppleness.
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Mr. Boston said:

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for another interesting daily report. Butterflies are interesting creatures that are fun to watch. I can’t resist potato chips.  I always remember pi day as it’s my mom’s birthday, happy birthday mom!  Great quote and I love jazz!  I’ll pass on the meal as we had the real deal last evening. I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list I hope healing comes soon.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

Happy birthday to your mam 

birthday-flowers.gif

• Like 17

Good morning all,

Surprise surprise , Subaru called back and said yes I could sign the title with the judges order. They really want the car and are giving me a good price. I did not want to have the car at my house, It has been at my DDIL sisters house in storage.  My DGS always waited for his uncle by watching for his car. We did not want the constant reminder. 

I was inquiring about the Legendary Amazon trip for 2025. They want  $3500 deposit which is more than my Grand Australia. I have to think on that one.  

Tomorrow I will be taking a ride in the mustang with the car guys in memory of my late DH. I can’t believe it will be a year. Fingers crossed I can get her started today ( her name is Ruby). I let the battery die and she has been on the charger for a week. 

Prayers for those on the care list and others in need. Have a great day everyone. 

• Like 32

Happy Birthday to Brenda @bennybear

and Happy Birthday to  @Mr. Boston’s mom

A banana cream pie was requested for Pi Day today and I will start that soon. It is snowing here but will not accumulate much. I have enlisted the aid of DSIL for later today. He will drive DH to his appointment in the afternoon. I have lost my ability to drive in snow/ice and find myself way too worried about it. I used to have to drive to work in the worst conditions and just did it. I am glad that I have volunteers around here to help.

Yesterday went fairly well all things considered. It is hard for someone who knew Tana when she was well to be with her now. The equipment can be a little daunting and the need for rest periods after any small activity  is a factor as well.The lovely woman hugged us both when she was leaving and we hope she will return on Wednesday.

Our teenager requested baked ziti for dinner and we are starting to get that together now.

Be careful today if in the path of the storm.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning! This will be quick as I’m heading for a dental appointment in a few minutes. Repaired tooth from recent visit feels high and needs to be sanded down a tad.

It’s 41 degrees this morning so that is a definite change from our recent record high temp days.

Thanks to all who contribute.

Bruce

image.jpeg.62cf77a69e82359a96daa98d2b819de6.jpegimage.jpeg.36eb4c8351e6d210f194a7019e9d3fc7.jpegimage.jpeg.e3f2984f67d7f22a213936d40ecc0877.jpegimage.jpeg.23dddfea78c50e48a33af6383bac15ec.jpegimage.jpeg.d6d181ef7bad67a90205ec091a1cd5f8.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Haha 21

Good morning, everyone!

It is a cold start to what promises to be a beautiful day with a bright blue sunshiny sky.  Instead of the gym I am going for a walk this morning.  I'll wait till it warms up a bit.  Otherwise, nothing on the agenda.  I think I have everything I need to do my taxes.  Oh, joy!

@bennybear

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.f1755ee48ffbbf1eabdd78a85221665a.jpg

@StLouisCruisers DB and @Mr. Boston's mom

images(1).jpg.c0f506ad67ac49ea6b65d10a0884b787.jpg

A paleo diet is an eating plan based on foods humans might have eaten during the Paleolithic Era. The Paleolithic Era dates from around 2.5 million to 10,000 years ago.

A modern paleo diet includes fruits, vegetables, lean meats, fish, eggs, nuts and seeds. These are foods that in the past people could get by hunting and gathering. It doesn't include foods that became more common when small-scale farming began about 10,000 years ago. These foods include grains, legumes and dairy products. You can read more about Paleo diets here:  https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/paleo-diet/art-20111182

In this recipe the breadcrumbs are replaced by almond flour and ketchup is homemade.  It is sweetened with dates rather than sugar.  Regular ketchup is filled to the brim with sugar and that makes it a no no on the paleo diet.   https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/whole30-paleo-meatloaf-whole30-ketchup/

paleomeatloaf1.thumb.jpg.bdbddf64f8d8a7547e14e9423c8f45e2.jpg

This one omits the almond flour for a low carb version. Unprocessed potatoes are allowed on a paleo diet, but not on the keto diet.    https://www.wickedspatula.com/italian-meatloaf/

paleomeatloaf3.thumb.jpg.6debb2812e4f6e404b291ec8a817459b.jpg

This one includes mushrooms in the meatloaf.   https://paleoleap.com/paleo-meat-loaf/

paleomeatloaf4.thumb.jpg.5e5c5cd8488795192adfe64be5740eb6.jpg

This last one puts the vegetables in the meatloaf.  https://www.paleonewbie.com/not-your-ordinary-meatloaf/

paleomeatloaf5.jpg.72f9c0039a7883c8aba9fc9a94c558be.jpg

Many of these recommend getting a "paleo" ketchup or bbq sauce.  That means without the sugar added.  I tried some of these and they were just plain awful.  I would use plain old tomato sauce first.  

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 10