The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday March 24th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Today is National Cheesesteak Day, National Chocolate Covered Raisin Day, and National Cocktail Day

I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.--Dr. Seuss

Meal Suggestion for today - Vegetarian Enchiladas
Drink of the Day - Bloody Maria
Wine of the Day - Clos Cibonne Tibouren Cotes de Provence Rose Cuvee Tradition 2020
Destination of the Day - Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 3-25

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 3-25

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea destination Freeport, Bahamas eta 3-25 

Nieuw Statendam

Nassau, Bahamas 10:00 - 19:00

Oosterdam

San Antonio, Chile 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Fort de France, Martinique 0700-1600

Volendam

Bridgetown, Barbados 0800-1800

Zaandam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 3-25

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Takoradi, Ghana eta 3-25

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Auckland, New Zealand 07:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Kagoshima City, Japan Kagoshima 10:00 - 17:00

image.thumb.png.89548c53b365d5a20d257a314c10f055.png

image.thumb.png.91542e8c67cf61c304d12b2971ff3092.png

Sandi for Rich and Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 14

Good morning friends!  It is bright and early on a Friday and the temp here is 59F.  We expect 80 and sunny this afternoon.  I hope the weather is nice where you are.  We are told there are good chances of rain for the next four days though.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Reprt and Daily for today.  I am happy to present it for you.  On the agenda we have National Cheesesteak Day, National Chocolate Covered Raisin Day, and National Cocktail Day.  I don't think I've ever tried a cheesesteak (and I know I haven't been to Philadelphia where they're pretty famous).  They sound like an artery clogger, no offense!  I do like chocolate covered raisins, and Dixie @summer slope will be showing us our cocktail, a Bloody Maria before long.  It sounds like a relative of Bloody Mary.

Today's quote is a fun-loving Dr. Seuss one.  I know the Vegetarian Enchiladas will be popular with several of you.  And with that name the wine might be a tad bit expensive.  Sometimes the more descriptive the names, the more $$$.

Today is a unique port, Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania.  Unique because it's not a very often visited port as far as I know and also because this is a first time appearance for it on the Fleet Report.  I can't recall but perhaps the World Cruise Rich is on might have even gone there.  I'm sure someone will enlighten me.  Zanzibar on the other hand has been listed three times before! 

Prayers for all on the Care list today, and I have added poor Lana my neighbor to mine.  🙏  Also cheers to all on the Celebration list, and especially our cruisers!  🥂  Enjoy your happy day and congratulations to all!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for posting our lists today and every day for the past month or more.  Thanks also to Tina @01010 for handling the recipes for Debbie @dfish this week, and to Ann @cat shepard for the wine descriptions and Dixie @summer slope for those mixed drinks.  We appreciate you all!

I'm off very early to do my treadmill it looks like.  Then breakfast and a 9:30 am dental cleaning.  Hoping for no problems detected.  Have a Fantastic Friday everyone!😎  Especially @portofrome who is our early visitor but silent otherwise.  Would love to more about them.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.

It is 9.15am, sunny and 46°F here at the moment.

A correction from yesterday my heart attack was 18th December 2019.

Our clocks go forward 1 hour at 2am on Sunday morning so our nights will be lighter.

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for setting up today's daily reports.

Cheese steak is delicious.

We like Pina Colada cocktail.

A Bellini cocktail is nice and my late Italian grandmothers family name from Venice.

I have sold Chocolate Raisins along with other chocolate and sugar confectionery for over 35 years.

Personally I prefer chocolate Peanuts and Chocolate Brazil's.

Interesting quote.

I will wait on today's food and drink until our knowledgeable food and beverage ladies explain.

Thank you in advance to Vanessa @JazzyV for supplying all of the daily lists.

Wishing good health to all who are unwell and happy cruising to all of our mariner's.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Graham.

IMG_20191126_163855.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 26

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info.

Let’s start with the Dr. Seuss quote before it is cancelled. RNB is a fantasy to me !

Based on the three things to celebrate today, please don’t plan on starting a diet today. Really like cheesecakes with a Jack on the rocks cocktail. And those chocolate covered raisins in a bag are like potato chips. Can’t put them done until they are all gone.  

• Like 21

Greetings from our last full day aboard the NS.

We had a brief shower late afternoon yesterday,  otherwise a beautiful breezy day.

For my birthday yesterday,  Suzi had Pinnacle grill dinner delivered to the room. I had an excellent filet and she had the 12oz lobster.  We shared of course and it is a wonderful meal.

The crew must be getting over whatever sickness that was among them as we noticed much less dust masks late afternoon,  evening and so far this morning. 

The ship is almost at Nassau this morning, however we will not be going ashore. 

We will spend the day onboard the ship relaxing. 😀 

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

• Like 28

These vegetarian enchilada recipes are very versatile.  You can use flour, whole wheat or corn tortillas.  You can adjust the level of spiciness.  You can use canned enchilada sauce or make your own.  You can use up the vegetables you have in your refrigerator.  You can even add meat.  All of these recipes will freeze well too.

I like this recipe made with butternut squash and black beans. 

Vegetarian Enchiladas {BEST EVER!} – WellPlated.com

image.thumb.png.0c072e68922a9a2ad16fd04cf4fcece0.png

This recipe uses a variety of vegetables found at the farmers market and black beans.  It includes a recipe for easy enchilada sauce.

https://www.feastingathome.com/vegetarian-enchiladas/

image.thumb.png.43080379ccc40a725d3ccf92684b3dc7.png

This recipe roasts the vegetables.  Easy Veggie Enchiladas Recipe - Pinch of Yum

image.thumb.png.9aeb64a308b4e1d8b8aca1cad4161aeb.png

Have a great Friday everyone!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 10

Today’s care list:

Roy recovering from pneumonia and working on getting stronger

dfish recovering from parathyroid surgery

Mamaofami’s recovering from cataract surgery

SusieKIslandGirl’s DH with Covid, but improving

Cruzin Terri with PMR flare

Marshhawk’s abnormal lung scan and COPD

Bennybear’s test results

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Cruising sister now with a hand splint

RMLincoln’s DH’s sensitivity to glaucoma meds

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Scrapnana getting chemotherapy

Celebrations and Shout outs:

Bon Voyage St Pete Cruiser! (3/25 but he is 17 hours ahead of EDT)

0106 (Tina) pitching in on the meal suggestions of the day

Kazu’s good report from the surgeon and ok to drive

StLouisCruiser’s DGS in Michigan being named 2nd in his graduating class

Many Dailyites with upcoming cruises

3 Days for USN59-79 (Westerdam 3/27 to 5/7)

5 Days for Cruzn single (Rotterdam 3/29 to 4/19)

5 Days for Vict0riann (Rotterdam 3/29 to 4/19) 

5 Days for Sailingdutchy (Rotterdam 3/29 to 4/29)

Seasick Sailor and 57redbird (Koningsdam to 3/25), Seagarsmoker (Nieuw Statendam to 3/25), DWAliaschief’s sisters cruise (Rotterdam to 3/29), Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to 4/6), Kplady (Grand Princess to 4/28), St Pete Cruiser (Noordam to 5/2) and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12) at sea

• Like 18
  • Thanks 12

Happy Friday everyone.  Thanks @StLouisCruisers for today’s report.  Haven’t had a cheesesteak in ages but it sure sounds good.  Glad chocolate covered raisins have a day, I like them a lot.  I’ll have a mai tai please!  I like Dr. Seuss’s quote, fantasy helps to keep us moving forward.  The meal suggestion sounds very good as does the drink, it is cocktail day after all.  I have not been to today’s port, I’m sure there’ll be some nice photos.  Prayers that all on our prayer list get better soon.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today, like @richwmn crossing the Equator!

• Like 21

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

I slept in a bit this morning, not sure why.  It should be a nice day today, high of 2°C and some sun.  Another storm with freezing rain and high winds may hit us tomorrow, so we better enjoy a long walk today.

Cheesesteak sounds good, I'd share one with my hubby.  I'm not a fan of chocolate covered raisins, I like chocolate but not raisins.   If I'm not having wine, my go to cocktail is a gin and tonic.

Amusing quote.

The meal sounds good, thanks for the recipes and pictures.

I'll pass on the drink, not sure about the wine.

Thanks in advance for pictures of today's port.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 26

Happy Friday.  Thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa, Ann, Dixie and Debbie/Tina.  Last night was my longest sleep to date, continuing to 4:45.  I'll pass on today's days but love the quote.

I have not cruised to Dar Es Salaam but embarked there with my brother on Rovos's classic journey to Cape Town.  I don't have any photos and don't remember it being an attractive port.  I have lots of photos of our side trip to Zanzibar but none of Dar.

I love today's quote but will pass on the meal.  My alternative is Roasted and Raw Carrot Salad. Baked Rigatoni w/ Italian Sausage, and Ricotta Raspberry Tart, my final dinner on the Elegant Explorer March 24, 2019.

dishes24.jpg

Off soon to Wegmans and hoping not to get a drenching when I get home with groceries.

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

We are now at 0 degrees latitude and 0 degrees longitude. King Neptune Ceremony has ended and we already have the certificates

The Captain just announced that he is trying to position Zuiderdam along the lat / long lines so that bow is in northern hemisphere, aft in southern hemisphere, port and starboard are in the western / eastern hemispheres

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 39
  • Haha 1

Bloody Maria cocktail:

Ingredients
2 ounces tequila
4 ounces tomato juice
1/2 ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 tablespoon prepared horseradish, to taste
4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
2 dashes Tabasco sauce
2 dashes Tapatio hot sauce
1 pinch celery salt
1 pinch ground black pepper
Garnish: lime wedge
Garnish: lemon wedge
Garnish: cucumber spear
Garnish: sweet pepper slices
Garnish: jalapeno pepper slices
Garnish: queso fresco
Steps
Add the tequila, tomato juice, lemon juice, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, Tapatio, celery salt and black pepper to a shaker and fill with ice.
Shake briefly and strain into a pint glass filled with fresh ice.
Garnish with a lime wedge, a lemon wedge, a cucumber spear and a skewer of sweet pepper slices, jalapeno slices and queso fresco.

Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 7.22.25 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 12

20 minutes ago, richwmn said:

We are now at 0 degrees latitude and 0 degrees longitude. King Neptune Ceremony has ended and we already have the certificates

The Captain just announced that he is trying to position Zuiderdam along the lat / long lines so that bow is in northern hemisphere, aft in southern hemisphere, port and starboard are in the western / eastern hemispheres

WOW, Rich!  I do hope the Captain is successful in accomplishing that feat!  What a memorable day you are having onboard the Zuiderdam.  Enjoy every minute!!!

• Like 22

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I do like a good cheesesteak, I prefer mine with some marinara sauce added.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good but DH would insist on adding meat.  I hope everyone has a good day today.
image.thumb.png.abeaa2eae3e61c9343e3400f56bf8a3e.png

• Like 26

Good morning! If you didn’t get to read my late post on Thursday’s Daily my dinner of choice last night was Chinese takeout. It was so bad I took a few bites and tossed it out. Definitely need to prepare my own meal tonight.

Up early as DW likes to text me at 5:30 in the morning!😱 They have become Cabana girls so I guess that means another $600 per cruise. I was directed to reserve one for our upcoming Eurodam cruise but they are sold out.

Maybe I need to get out and walk the neighborhood and just  maybe find someone to have an adult conversation with. Tired of talking to tv and Alexa.

Thanks for the company and post. 
Bruce

image.jpeg.ebadda77b5e530596553ca35d50986af.jpegimage.jpeg.43178890b449e950efdd5cae57481709.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.742fafa85c7f59ccc95557a1de60d20f.jpegimage.jpeg.caf25d02fef86a6497502a81db7635ea.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.aac4d0d6348231afcea87bdb1efd3a29.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Haha 23

Thank you for starting us off Sandi!  You have made sure that all Rich’s hard work is shared every day. Rich, thank you for making sure the thread continues while you cruise the World. It is a lovely 59 this morning with a lovely orange sherbet tint to the Eastern sky.

Vanessa thank you for keeping track of us! Cheers to @kazu & @dfish for wonderful news. 

Yesterday was utter chaos on my street. MetroNet, an internet provider, is installing cable in my neighborhood. Their initial communication was good. They had a supply of white flags we could use to mark our sprinkler heads near the street. Trying to pin down when to put them out was very difficult.  We started to see flags marking the existing utilities, and suspected when Florida Power & Light marked the underground electric lines, installation was imminent. But because there were so many utility flags, the company hand dug all their installation pits, and never waited for my end of the street to be marked! Some of workers were even telling people on my side of the street we didn’t have to mark our sprinklers. But they were wrong. Both me and a neighbor 3 houses down have cable poles sticking up from our property.  But the worst is over. I learned a lot about sprinkler systems yesterday. I helped a couple neighbors mark theirs and I admit to be ping spoiled by my system which has a “test all” feature that makes it so easy to find mine. Ok. My vent is over. I confess to channeling my inner 5 year old. It was hot yesterday afternoon & the cool sprinkler water felt great. 😎

One gym class, Bindi walks, chores and then wine & finger food at a friend’s. 

Bindi definitely needs to hear this!

C1466FF7-CCD0-4EB5-B925-5ED9E4F64FF3.jpeg.1788fa7a91a1810590520ad5180e2544.jpeg

174550F9-F81E-480F-BC8D-953F5259D443.jpeg.ea9ce75833597b8c373f2a01fdc02aea.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Get well & stay well everyone!

Clos Cibonne Tibouren Cotes de Provence Rosé Cuvée Tradition 2020

This rosé has lots of fans in the consumer ranks, as well as a few critics who give it excellent reviews. Fairly easy to find with online prices starting at $26.99.

Winemaker Notes

#77 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2022

The wine has a salmon-orange color. The nose is enchanting, warm and matures into smooth spicy aromas. Winy, mellow and surprisingly mineral on the palate.

Blend: 90% Tibouren, 10% Grenache

WS91
Wine Spectator

Distinctive, with blood orange, tangerine and wet hay notes forming the core, while light herbs and a faint echo of tamarind weave through the finish. Alluring, creamy mouthfeel. Tibouren and Grenache. Drink now through 2023.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 5

59 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Your Captain sounds like a cool dude!

Hope he is successful. That would be an amazing feat & memory!

• Like 23

Good morning, everyone!

What a difference a day makes.  A by product of my surgery was a bout with acid reflux.  A bottle of antacids did the trick last night and I was not bothered a bit by it.  Other good news is that my calcium levels were normal yesterday and my parathyroid hormone levels were appropriate to the level of calcium.  First time in years.  

I think I'd like the Bloody Maria.  I'll try one this summer on the Zaandam with my drink package.  The meal looks good!   We are hosting Farkle Friday today and I think I'm making yesterday's meal with some rotisserie chicken in it for the gang.  Brother Bill and wife will be here and Sue is here with granddaughter, River.

This afternoon we are taking River to the butterfly exhibit.  I think she'll love it.  It will be a nice outing for all of us.  

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. The surgery center had no power till noon yesterday so my surgery was postponed from 10 am to 4 pm. No food or drink from midnight. But, all went smoothly and I was home by 6pm. Now, I just have to heal.I see the surgeon today for a follow up and to discuss doing the other eye later this spring. Right now my vision is still blurry but to be expected.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 32
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Happy Friday.  Thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa, Ann, Dixie and Debbie/Tina.  Last night was my longest sleep to date, continuing to 4:45.  I'll pass on today's days but love the quote.

I have not cruised to Dar Es Salaam but embarked there with my brother on Rovos's classic journey to Cape Town.  I don't have any photos and don't remember it being an attractive port.  I have lots of photos of our side trip to Zanzibar but none of Dar.

I love today's quote but will pass on the meal.  My alternative is Roasted and Raw Carrot Salad. Baked Rigatoni w/ Italian Sausage, and Ricotta Raspberry Tart, my final dinner on the Elegant Explorer March 24, 2019.

dishes24.jpg

Off soon to Wegmans and hoping not to get a drenching when I get home with groceries.

Roy

It amazes me how organized you are to have all these meals documented. Thanks.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. The surgery center had no power till noon yesterday so my surgery was postponed from 10 am to 4 pm. No food or drink from midnight. But, all went smoothly and I was home by 6pm. Now, I just have to heal.I see the surgeon today for a follow up and to discuss doing the other eye later this spring. Right now my vision is still blurry but to be expected.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Tis good news!

• Like 17

Good morning to all. It is rather dark and gloomy but fifty degrees already so I will take it. Cheesesteak sounds good to me but they truly are better in Philadelphia. I will give my cocktail to someone else and prefer raisins without chocolate. We have not been to the port,love the quote and really like the recipes.

DH and I returned home to a tasty lentil stew on the stove that my friend made. We all had a nice lunch together and  caught up on our lives the last several years. It was a very nice surprise.

It is always fun to see our beautiful pets and I enjoyed seeing all the pooches yesterday.  

@aliaschief, Bruce, I am sorry your take out was so awful. Even when it tastes good I usually think “I could make this better”. Maybe you could get on a wait list for a cabana,is that a possibility? It does sound like the height of luxury.

@grapau27, Graham, I used to be great at parallel parking and backing up into tiny garages as it was necessary in places where we lived. I have found that it is harder now to have confidence in performing that activity accurately. My very good friend was never a comfortable driver and her husband always drove and took care of getting gas etc. We had to have a crash course in driving survival in an urban area after her dear husband died four years ago. She still will not drive on a highway but does manage the rest reasonably well.Practice helped with a lot of repetition!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1