Scary Medical Emergency - Cruise Credit Chance

1 minute ago, Big_G said:

Yes and no. Allianz offers $5,000, $7,500, and $10,000 maximum benefits but you'd need to have multiple cruises booked to make the price paid worth while.

Yes, and that gets quite expensive. Much cheaper just to get single trip plans unless you have a ton of cruises booked.

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

Yes, and that gets quite expensive. Much cheaper just to get single trip plans unless you have a ton of cruises booked.

Yes and no. We had 3 booked when we bought the policy. The price we paid is only twice what we would pay for a single trip policy. We've since added 2 more bookings. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LorraineP said:

“Last two cruises using the above method we got $500,000 of medical and $1,000,000 of medical evacuation under a policy that serves as primary for a total of $127 for both of us”

We always purchase travel insurance for each cruise. Interested now about the policy you get. Both of us are in our late 70’s.  Not a problem if we had absorb cost of cruise. 

We get our quotes and purchase our policies through Insure My Trip.  You have to look at the policy to see which ones are primary as most are secondary.

When it asks for trip cost I put in zero and still have coverage for the other stuff.  I have used Travel Safe, Travel Guard,  and Travel Insured.

www.insuremytrip.com

On 4/7/2023 at 6:42 AM, soremekun said:

Royal Caribbean:  "All your cash are belong to us." Those who know, know.

As a shareholder, I expect nothing less. 

Every few days, someone has another sad story on why the cruise line is not customer focused if they don’t refund cancellations. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

We get our quotes and purchase our policies through Insure My Trip.  You have to look at the policy to see which ones are primary as most are secondary.

When it asks for trip cost I put in zero and still have coverage for the other stuff.  I have used Travel Safe, Travel Guard,  and Travel Insured.

www.insuremytrip.com

Thank you. Will look into it. 

15 hours ago, Jimbo said:

All Trips Prime for 2 people was quoted at $280 each, 63 and 62 years old..............seems pretty good. 1 year coverage.

We have 3 cruises planned within a year and 2 are overseas in Europe and one goes to Greenland from the states. . Seems like a good deal.

That is the policy we always book. We are 64 and 61 and price was the same 280 pp for the year.

We had a couple of claims last year unrelated to cruising but for other travel issues and they were very quick to pay our claims.

As of yet we have not had to file anything medical fortunately

7 minutes ago, #1packerfan said:

That is the policy we always book. We are 64 and 61 and price was the same 280 pp for the year.

We had a couple of claims last year unrelated to cruising but for other travel issues and they were very quick to pay our claims.

As of yet we have not had to file anything medical fortunately

Sounds good. I guess we shouldn't get the coverage yet until September 1st, since out first cruise is September 14th. This way we will be covered until September 2024. Our 2nd and 3rd cruises which are from May 30th to  June 24th. This way if we add any other vacations between the end of June to September 1st they will be covered too.

How is this coverage if you should get sick after final payment and can't go on the cruise. Is that covered too?

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Sounds good. I guess we shouldn't get the coverage yet until September 1st, since out first cruise is September 14th. This way we will be covered until September 2024. Our 2nd and 3rd cruises which are from May 30th to  June 24th. This way if we add any other vacations between the end of June to September 1st they will be covered too.

How is this coverage if you should get sick after final payment and can't go on the cruise. Is that covered too?

Yes as long as the dates of the cruise are within the policy dates and no pre existing

• Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 10:30 AM, dleahy4444 said:

May I ask what company you use for medical? We are in NY. I don’t need that much travel insurance to cover the trip but I have a medical condition that can cause a sudden emergency while on the ship so I’d like to up the medical portion of our coverage thanks 

We use GeoBlue part of Blue Cross for our foreign travel medical.  What I like is they have preferred providers all over the world.  If you use one of them you pay nothing out of pocket.  When we go overseas I always make a list of their preferred providers in the cities we are visiting just in case.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

We use GeoBlue part of Blue Cross for our foreign travel medical.  What I like is they have preferred providers all over the world.  If you use one of them you pay nothing out of pocket.  When we go overseas I always make a list of their preferred providers in the cities we are visiting just in case.  

Oh I never knew about them. I’ll check it out. Thanks 

On 4/8/2023 at 6:07 PM, smokeybandit said:

Trip cancellation/interruption reimbursement is a lot lower than single trip policies, at least in my research.

Ah, then it depends on what is important to you in a travel insurance policy.  Some of us are willing to self insure for cancellation accept lower cancellation coverage; others are not.  We choose to insure for the big financial risks (medical and evacuation) and look carefully for good coverage in those areas.  
I’d point out that I see many single trip policies may have decent cancellation coverage but  some have low limits on medical.  One can run up huge medical bills quite unexpectedly with a single accident or serious illness, far exceeding the low limits of some policies.  

Different posters of different ages, perspectives and life experiences will look at policy offerings differently (and see different prices based on those ages).

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 11:54 AM, BennyandBo said:

I'm actually getting fed up with people who have this question. I pay $120 per person, per trip, for travel insurance. Why should anyone else get special treatment. I'm sorry for anyone who gets sick and wish them well. But I don't get a refund if I don't use the insurance, why should others get off the hook for the cost of it by asking for special favors. 

Fed up? 🙄 Op didn’t ask about a refund. The question was about a credit for a future cruise. And op acknowledged they will purchase insurance in the future. Lesson learned. Sometimes I get fed up with the lack of compassion around here. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

Ah, then it depends on what is important to you in a travel insurance policy.  Some of us are willing to self insure for cancellation accept lower cancellation coverage; others are not.  We choose to insure for the big financial risks (medical and evacuation) and look carefully for good coverage in those areas.  
I’d point out that I see many single trip policies may have decent cancellation coverage but  some have low limits on medical.  One can run up huge medical bills quite unexpectedly with a single accident or serious illness, far exceeding the low limits of some policies.  

Different posters of different ages, perspectives and life experiences will look at policy offerings differently (and see different prices based on those ages).

We also self insure the trip cancellation portion.  I’ve already paid that amount - it’s gone whether I am on the trip or not.  And if I’m not it’s due to something major and the money is the least of my worries.  Medical and evacuation are different - that’s additional cost I’d need to come up with.  Since we travel several times a year, I purchase an annual policy.  It works for us but everyone should look at their situation and make their own decision.

On 4/8/2023 at 6:18 PM, Big_G said:

Yes and no. Allianz offers $5,000, $7,500, and $10,000 maximum benefits but you'd need to have multiple cruises booked to make the price paid worth while.

My Allianz policy runs under $600 per year and has good coverage.  ($50K in Emergency Medical, $500K in Emergency Transportation, $45K rental car coverage and good benefits for trip cancellation, interruption, lost baggage etc.  

We've had an annual policy for about 6 years and ALWAYS purchased cruise insurance prior to that. 

It is good for ALL travel ( I think 50 miles away from home) not simply cruises.  We've used in when we had a flight cancel and had a variety of overnight travel costs.  We used it when we had to cancel a flight (Land vacation) because of a death in the family. We used it when RCCL CANCELLED our cruise after just 4 hours and sent us all home that night ( YES - propulsion issues on Grandeur) and needed new flights that were over the RCCL change allotment, Uber, meals till we got home and other expenses.  Lastly, we used it to cancel a cruise last minute ( 2 weeks out) because of a medical issue.  

I hope I never need to test the upper limits.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

On 4/8/2023 at 6:04 PM, smokeybandit said:

Annual policies are good for general travel, not cruises.

On 4/8/2023 at 6:06 PM, Big_G said:

How so?

My policy covers ALL travel for the policy period.   See my post above for real life examples.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ATG said:

We also self insure the trip cancellation portion.  I’ve already paid that amount - it’s gone whether I am on the trip or not.  And if I’m not it’s due to something major and the money is the least of my worries.  Medical and evacuation are different - that’s additional cost I’d need to come up with.  Since we travel several times a year, I purchase an annual policy.  It works for us but everyone should look at their situation and make their own decision.

That’s how we choose to look at it as well, though, like you, I recognize that others should assess their situation and insure differently.  Still, I hate to see anyone select policies with low medical/ evacuation limits (unless they are confident their regular medical insurance covers them during their travels); even very healthy people can have an accident resulting in huge medical bills.

8 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

My Allianz policy runs under $600 per year and has good coverage.  ($50K in Emergency Medical, $500K in Emergency Transportation

Opinions about what constitutes “good coverage” will vary.  Perhaps career in healthcare leaves one aware of so many sad stories and many very high bills. Thus personally I desire medical coverage much higher than 50K and I hope we never need to use it. Our annual policy has medical limit 250K (though due to advanced age they cut that to 100K for DH; couldn’t find better).

On 4/8/2023 at 12:48 PM, Jimbo said:

Just curious, I think you do a lot of traveling yearly...........Just how much do you pay per person per year for this coverage?

Is it just based on your age only or do they ask you where you might be going and the amount of trips you are taking.

Just looked at the site briefly.

It's by household not per person. Cost is based on level of coverage. We paid 715 for the year but we bought a higher level. Cheaper than buying through RCI per cruise and much better coverage. We're doing 3 cruises this year but we may have other trips also 

Edited by BND
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Opinions about what constitutes “good coverage” will vary.  Perhaps career in healthcare leaves one aware of so many sad stories and many very high bills. Thus personally I desire medical coverage much higher than 50K and I hope we never need to use it. Our annual policy has medical limit 250K (though due to advanced age they cut that to 100K for DH; couldn’t find better).

Good advise.   I'll check out other packages when it is time to renew.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

On 4/8/2023 at 2:32 PM, Big_G said:

We also purchased the annual Allianz plan. They did ask ages and departure date of our first trip but nothing of detail beyond that other than personal information. We had booked 3 cruises during the insured period but then we booked additional cruises that were over the maximum cancellation benefit. We'll only be covered up to 75% for those but were OK with that. The cost was $715 total.

I’ve been looking at that policy.  Are you saying that on the cruises booked over the max limit you’d still be covered up to the max limit of that trip?  

I know with single policies you must be 100% insured for any non refundable costs, they won’t just give you back the amount up to the point you insured.  You must insure it all.  

We have an annual Geo Blue for medical so I’m just looking for good cancellation insurance, not high medical coverage. 

I have sympathy for the OP.  Our first 2 cruises we didn’t know anything about insurance. Now I insure every one. 

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I’ve been looking at that policy.  Are you saying that on the cruises booked over the max limit you’d still be covered up to the max limit of that trip?  

I know with single policies you must be 100% insured for any non refundable costs, they won’t just give you back the amount up to the point you insured.  You must insure it all.  

We have an annual Geo Blue for medical so I’m just looking for good cancellation insurance, not high medical coverage. 

I have sympathy for the OP.  Our first 2 cruises we didn’t know anything about insurance. Now I insure every one. 

Yes because it's not based on the price of the trip. I did not have to provide costs for the quote.

5 hours ago, BND said:

It's by household not per person. Cost is based on level of coverage. We paid 715 for the year but we bought a higher level. Cheaper than buying through RCI per cruise and much better coverage. We're doing 3 cruises this year but we may have other trips also 

What is the higher level you bought called? Thank you

This has become  more about cruise insurance than OP's original question but don't see a clear dividing line. So, will leave as is for now but one of you might consider a new topic like "RCI Cruisers Travel Insurance Discussion" ??  Could then lock this one?